Couple thoughts from last night

crymdg2

You lose a lot of credibility b!tching about Guy screwing up Evans' name when you misspell it 3 TIMES! C'mon Roy, get your head in the game!

Roy is a mortgage banker writing on an Internet board (which, by Internet rules, has no grammatical or spelling rules). Guy is a "professional." The proper attribution for lack of credibility is obvious.

dysfunctional. not to pick on you, rich, you're the balls. but you're all spelling like a bunch of **** this morning. pull your head out.

Speaking of ****. To the lovely young asian lady, with a SLU license plate frame, driving at exactly 60MPH, in the fast lane on 44, in the city this morning: GET OUT OF THE FAST LANE IF YOU DON'T WANT TO GO FAST! YOUR TOYOTA WILL NOT BURST INTO FLAMES IF YOU EXCEED THE SPEED LIMIT JUST A LITTLE!

Roy is a mortgage banker writing on an Internet board (which, by Internet rules, has no grammatical or spelling rules). Guy is a "professional." The proper attribution for lack of credibility is obvious.

I have a problem with you referring to Guy as a "professional", even if it is in quotes and you did the finger-quoting thing at your desk when you typed it. ;)

crews also did not take advantage of the one minute rule to replace remeken when he fouled out. just waived barnett into the game. if the score would have been a 20 point lead fine, but we were only up by 2 at the time. why not use the free timeout?

he also picked the most form perfect north texas player to shoot the free throw when the jones kid hurt his foot near the end of the game and couldnt shoot his own free throw. my gosh, hadnt he watched the previous shots that guy had?

while we are on negative rants, heard guy call duane dwight twice last night. my gosh guy, it is now three years since duane came to slu. his name is duane.

I can't find it anywhere, but I believe that substitution rule was changed to 30 seconds several years ago due to coach's using it for an extra timeout.

Wasn't at last nights game, but I caught Guy calling him Dwight at a game earlier in the season. A few years ago I toyed with the idea of making a sign that said "Dwayne Not Dwight", but I can't remember if I actually did so. I may have to look into that when I get back in town next week.

After the third or fourth Dwight reference I was thinking I should have a sign that reads

"Hey Gus Phillips, it's Dwayne not Dwight."

Anyone else worried about our zone offense? SIU slowed us down with it and when NT went to it last night they made their run in the first half to get back in it. We don't get the ball swung fast enough and we absolutely refuse to get it to the high post. Loe's favorite past time is leaning against the guard covering the elbow instead of demanding the ball.

if guy pronounce it "D-u-a-n-e" i dont think any of us would care if he should have said, "D-w-a-y-n-e". but he pronounces it "D-w-i-g-h-t".

plus, i dont get paid to pronounce names for thousands of people. guy does.

The lack of timeouts used by Crews is extremely frustrating. The Maji knew when to use them and when to light a fire under his team to get production. Whenever his team faced adversity, he called them early and often and used each one as a teaching point for his players.

Posted Image

This play was largely criticized by the media following the MSU game because they were saying with another timeout SLU may have been able to do more late in the game to stop the clock if they had another timeout. I look at it completely different Majerus knew what he was doing if he had gotten the call on Draymond it could definitely have forced MSU to alter their game plan... maybe it would have altered the game altogether. At least Majerus didn't take 5 timeouts with him to the locker room every game. He would never have left 3 of them on the table in a loss to a team like Santa Clara.

I thought Jim Crews made at least 3 tactical mistakes - 1. he left Evans in when he got his 3rd foul - even Evans thought he was being taken out - and a few seconds later he got his 4th. This caused him to sit for an extended time and could have caused us to lose the game. What was Crews thinking! 2. He did not call a time out during the 10 pt lead we lost until we lost it - he had all of his time outs. 3. With a 4 pt lead and 12.5 seconds left he calls a time out - why - this allowed NT to set up a play when they had no time outs left. Sorry that made no sense to me - let them come down helter skelter even if they score we still have the lead with very little time left. I am starting to really have concerns about Crews' coaching.

Line of the day.

Anyone else worried about our zone offense? SIU slowed us down with it and when NT went to it last night they made their run in the first half to get back in it. We don't get the ball swung fast enough and we absolutely refuse to get it to the high post. Loe's favorite past time is leaning against the guard covering the elbow instead of demanding the ball.

Yes. I fully agree. And again, this is a great example about the coaching of Jim Crews.

1. Our team is not the greatest outside shooting team and therefore should not have been surprised that No. Texas decided to use a zone defense but our guys looked totally surprised and unsure as to what to do except to pass the ball around and then have someone heave the ball up just prior to the shot clock expiring.

2. No timeout was called and no teaching or coaching took place causing us to not only lose our 10 point lead but to start losing by 3 points.

3. To his credit, the team DID come out in the second half and started attacking the zone by not only getting the ball inside but also by kicking the ball out to MM and JJ - each who stepped up big and hit the outside shots. Nice coaching adjustment at halftime.

Other points from the game which I watched on TV from home:

4. Scott Highmark is really a great analyst. He had made nice observations and came across fair and balanced. For instance, instead of harping on our mistakes, he gave praise to No. Texas.

5. Highmark mentioned the smart coaching by No. Texas who ran successful, set-plays following their timeouts and got quick easy baskets. No mention was made about Crews/SLU b/c we did not do this. SLU under RM sure did and was good for at least 4 to 6 points per game.

6. Highmark pointed out that SLU's defense was good "for 29.5 seconds" before missing an assignment and giving up an easy basket. CR played well at times (with his hustle plays, blocks and that key put back at the end of the game) but he also missed his assignment on defense a lot. Same with RL who, of course, is not playing his best basketball right now.

7. Highmark didn't come out and say Crews was outcoached but he did praise No, Texas for their switch to the zone, for their use of timeouts, etc.

8. Highmark pointed out the missed assignments on defense (4 guys doing what they should be doing but not the 5th).

9.Highmark and Pat Parris, though, were very critical of basically not getting the ball to Tony Mitchell after he came back into the game, with 4 fouls, and with 4 minutes left in the game.

Yes. I fully agree. And again, this is a great example about the coaching of Jim Crews.

1. Our team is not the greatest outside shooting team and therefore should not have been surprised that No. Texas decided to use a zone defense but our guys looked totally surprised and unsure as to what to do except to pass the ball around and then have someone heave the ball up just prior to the shot clock expiring.

2. No timeout was called and no teaching or coaching took place causing us to not only lose our 10 point lead but to start losing by 3 points.

3. To his credit, the team DID come out in the second half and started attacking the zone by not only getting the ball inside but also by kicking the ball out to MM and JJ - each who stepped up big and hit the outside shots. Nice coaching adjustment at halftime.

Other points from the game which I watched on TV from home:

4. Scott Highmark is really a great analyst. He had made nice observations and came across fair and balanced. For instance, instead of harping on our mistakes, he gave praise to No. Texas.

5. Highmark mentioned the smart coaching by No. Texas who ran successful, set-plays following their timeouts and got quick easy baskets. No mention was made about Crews/SLU b/c we did not do this. SLU under RM sure did and was good for at least 4 to 6 points per game.

6. Highmark pointed out that SLU's defense was good "for 29.5 seconds" before missing an assignment and giving up an easy basket. CR played well at times (with his hustle plays, blocks and that key put back at the end of the game) but he also missed his assignment on defense a lot. Same with RL who, of course, is not playing his best basketball right now.

7. Highmark didn't come out and say Crews was outcoached but he did praise No, Texas for their switch to the zone, for their use of timeouts, etc.

8. Highmark pointed out the missed assignments on defense (4 guys doing what they should be doing but not the 5th).

9.Highmark and Pat Parris, though, were very critical of basically not getting the ball to Tony Mitchell after he came back into the game, with 4 fouls, and with 4 minutes left in the game.

To be fair to crews, RM's offense against the 2-3 zone was almost equally as bad. This problem against the 2-3 zone isn't a new thing.

I agree - we have always had problems with a zone since we are not dead eye shots from the perimeter on a consistent basis. Usually, we end of breaking the zone by driving to the basket and hitting an outside shots now and then but we have always struggled against a zone but the last couple of years we have at least not let it kill us.