Stanford off Schedule

Pistol

Not a bad idea.

The drive between Johnson City and Boone on Rt 321 is awesome. The road goes through the Cherokee Nat Forest along Lake Watauga. A large TVA lake nestled in the mountains. Spent many a day bass fishing in that lake.

I think the team and Rick would enjoy that :P

I'll bring the Cheerwine.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Cheerwine? I can see you are not from the Moujntains. The Blowing Rock Brewing Co is just down the road and has some outstanding craft beers in bottle. Suggest the High Country Ale.

hahah i was thinking the cherry flavored soft drink, not the booze! :) Most of my NC relatives live in Kannapolis. I'll have to check out that High Country Ale next time my travels take me to North Carolina!

When I look at the known non-con schedule on the front of Billikens.com, I have to believe there is another road game somewhere. Right now, the only time we leave the state of Missouri is when we go to Washington. That may work for teams that play in the Big 12 or ACC, but it doesn't work for teams in the A-10 (no matter how improved it may be this year). Simply put, the schedule is pretty weak.

I really hope there is something brewing that none of us know about. Otherwise, the cancellation of the Stanford series is even more ridiculous than it already seems.

When I look at the known non-con schedule on the front of Billikens.com, I have to believe there is another road game somewhere. Right now, the only time we leave the state of Missouri is when we go to Washington. That may work for teams that play in the Big 12 or ACC, but it doesn't work for teams in the A-10 (no matter how improved it may be this year). Simply put, the schedule is pretty weak.

I really hope there is something brewing that none of us know about. Otherwise, the cancellation of the Stanford series is even more ridiculous than it already seems.

Great observation, kshoe. You think Majerus would ever want to go back and play Southern Cal? I think we've had better success down there in recent years.

-well, we should know in about 3-4 weeks who is on the schedule, not necessarily what happened with stanford

Until, I hear different, I really think a possible fall out of the rankings was the reason. Agreed, that's weak thinking for renegging on the likes of Stanford, but then again didn't May say it hadn't been finalized? Losing to UW in Seattle won't help us in the rankings, but an 0-2 swing thru the WC against two unranked teams would be the kiss of death for cracking the top 25, and may even hurt come selection Sunday. I'd rather tick off the Cardinal than not make the dance.

Tennessee, Georgia, North Carolina... whatever. You think Georgia has a monopoly on incestually created banjo players?

i'd throw transplanted south carolinians in that group as well. ;)

I've got over the disappointment, booked a trip to Cabo for the first 2 weeks in December. I guess there is no use getting excited about anything until it is official. You would think I had learned that lesson by now.

Maybe this is the reason:

Your 2011-2012 Stanford Dollies

Posted Image

I don't blame us for cancelling notwithstanding the one on the far left.

-the middle doesn't look bad, plus she's at stanford so probably good earning potential or inheritance possibility

-should we evaluate all potential opponents based on spirit squad pix?? they can't do the same to us as last time i looked our spirit squad pix hadn't been updated in about 4 years

Maybe this is the reason:

Your 2011-2012 Stanford Dollies

Posted Image

I don't blame us for cancelling notwithstanding the one on the far left.

Have you ever seen the Stanford tree? It's one of the most unusual mascots in college athletics. The tree and the cheerleaders do some of the most unique cheers in college sports.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanford_Tree

We saw them in the Midwest regional in, of all places, St Louis, at what was then the Kiel Center, in the 1998 NCAA tournament. Valpo lost to Rhode Island and Stanford beat Purdue. There were a ton of Purdue fans, and I think a lot of just college basketball fans, cheering for Valpo that day. Stanford beat Rhode Island (a 12 seed that year) to go to the Final 4 where they lost to Kentucky in the semi-final game.

-should we evaluate all potential opponents based on spirit squad pix??

We should not. The Dollies are chosen mostly for pure dancing ability and are often dance majors. The squad is capped at 5. It's a lot different than the process for, say, any SEC dance team.

Wait wait wait wait: This is the school that dropped its politically incorrect "Indian" mascot a full 40 years ago, and now has a mascot that's a tree and a name that's a color and/or one of the many people Father Biondi thumbs his nose at -- and they call their dance squad the "Dollies"?!?! Has the Hoover Institution corrupted Palo Alto so totally?

Wait wait wait wait: This is the school that dropped its politically incorrect "Indian" mascot a full 40 years ago, and now has a mascot that's a tree and a name that's a color and/or one of the many people Father Biondi thumbs his nose at -- and they call their dance squad the "Dollies"?!?! Has the Hoover Institution corrupted Palo Alto so totally?

Stanford alum Robert MacNamara might call this the "Fog of *****."

We should not. The Dollies are chosen mostly for pure dancing ability and are often dance majors. The squad is capped at 5. It's a lot different than the process for, say, any SEC dance team.

I think it is obvious the process in the SEC produces better results.

Until, I hear different, I really think a possible fall out of the rankings was the reason. Agreed, that's weak thinking for renegging on the likes of Stanford, but then again didn't May say it hadn't been finalized? Losing to UW in Seattle won't help us in the rankings, but an 0-2 swing thru the WC against two unranked teams would be the kiss of death for cracking the top 25, and may even hurt come selection Sunday. I'd rather tick off the Cardinal than not make the dance.

Weak. We'd crush Stanford. Worst case scenario the team gets a kick in the pants like after the Loyola loss.

Also tend to doubt Majerus and co. would back out "because we thought if we blew the game it would hurt our chance in the rankings" ... more likely we found someone better to play, fingers crossed.

One thing I noticed about Butler last year. They lost to Valpo 3 times last year, once in OT in Dec. 2011 at Hinkle Fieldhouse, 77-71. BU lost an exhibition game to Northern State, Nov. 2, 53-50, but the Bulldogs did beat Stanford in Palo Alto, 71-66.