new coaches

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

C'mon, guys, SW shares some info w/ us for free. I'd like to know as well. You figure TT's had to hear some rumbles, but was probably told to wait until it's announced that.... envelope please.... our new AC is (hushed silence falls over the crowd):

Brad Soderberg! (oops old envelope). I have no idea.

Can 't really argue with you but what is the point of the board if info is not shared. Seems to me if BW has the info then why does not TT?

The point is BW has made it his JOB to work to get info. Timmerman and the Post Dispatch clearly do not value offseason rumors, recruiting info, etc hence you'll hear nothing from them. When the news is finalized or deemed important enough for the masses, he'll publish a blurb about it.

Since BW is spending many hours a week trying to get information that nobody else has, he hopes to be paid for it. People that want him to work to get the info and get no compensation back are crazy. If every little bit of information he posts over there were immediately spread on this board there would be no incentive for anyone to subscribe and hence no incentive for him to work to collect the information.

The way I look at it is everyone has a choice on whether to subscribe and get the additional info or not. If the site didn't exist the info wouldn't be out there at all so those that choose not to subscribe have lost nothing and really have nothing to ***** about.

The point is BW has made it his JOB to work to get info. Timmerman and the Post Dispatch clearly do not value offseason rumors, recruiting info, etc hence you'll hear nothing from them. When the news is finalized or deemed important enough for the masses, he'll publish a blurb about it.

Since BW is spending many hours a week trying to get information that nobody else has, he hopes to be paid for it. People that want him to work to get the info and get no compensation back are crazy. If every little bit of information he posts over there were immediately spread on this board there would be no incentive for anyone to subscribe and hence no incentive for him to work to collect the information.

The way I look at it is everyone has a choice on whether to subscribe and get the additional info or not. If the site didn't exist the info wouldn't be out there at all so those that choose not to subscribe have lost nothing and really have nothing to ***** about.

Well put, Kshoe.

The point is BW has made it his JOB to work to get info. Timmerman and the Post Dispatch clearly do not value offseason rumors, recruiting info, etc hence you'll hear nothing from them. When the news is finalized or deemed important enough for the masses, he'll publish a blurb about it. Since BW is spending many hours a week trying to get information that nobody else has, he hopes to be paid for it. People that want him to work to get the info and get no compensation back are crazy. If every little bit of information he posts over there were immediately spread on this board there would be no incentive for anyone to subscribe and hence no incentive for him to work to collect the information. The way I look at it is everyone has a choice on whether to subscribe and get the additional info or not. If the site didn't exist the info wouldn't be out there at all so those that choose not to subscribe have lost nothing and really have nothing to ***** about.

i am glad steve doesnt have your attitude

With the "teasers," I am unsure of how I can filter out the paid articles versus the freebies. People in the past have asked I link to the Freebies, so I have kept that up. I do not mean to "advertise" but instead just centralize pretty much all the news sources regarding the Billikens.

With the "teasers," I am unsure of how I can filter out the paid articles versus the freebies. People in the past have asked I link to the Freebies, so I have kept that up. I do not mean to "advertise" but instead just centralize pretty much all the news sources regarding the Billikens.

Steve, I have no complaints about all you do for the board. You know the techo part best so if you can not filter the paid stuff from the unpaid stuff then I take you at your word. The problem is what point is there to letting people know that info is out there if it is available only to subscribers - the subscribers already know that the info is out there.

Like I said before I can not argue with anybody who takes this position - however if your position is non subscribers are not affected if they do not know what is out there then I have to disagree since the "teasers" are being put up on the board. So, your argument is not valid anymore.

Everyone wants everything for free.

Let me preface this by saying I am a subscriber & this isn't an advertisement.

I subscribed when Nate did it and was mostly disappointed. He had 2 other jobs at the time and frankly did not have enough subscribers to put in the work necessary to make it worth his while. Ben has basically ignored this and has created a lot more content, scout gave him another site to work on even. I really enjoyed Ben's previous free site and he has upped the ante on scout. He has purposelessly stayed away from this board so as not be seen as trying to poach subscribers from here, also not to throw his pay content into people's face who want nothing to do with it.

This site and Ben's site are two different entities and for me both are very useful in following the team. I wouldn't want to choose between only having one or the other. Don't expect subscribers to come on here and give out info though. Ben would kick us off his site and rightfully so. There are plenty of program "insiders" who post here and surely have the info as well but for different reasons choose not to share it.

i am glad steve doesnt have your attitude

No offense to Steve intended. I value what he does and the board he operates.

Ben has a product he wishes to sell, information he learns and scouting info of kids he can watch but most of us can't. There are many companies who perform this service. Ben is employed by one of the larger ones Scout.

Steve has a messageboard. He relies on posters independent to him to contribute to make it viable. I've donated to Steve as many of us have, but if he charged for this board, posters would be cut by 95% at the least.

Apples and Oranges Roy, don't compare the two.

Like I said before I can not argue with anybody who takes this position - however if your position is non subscribers are not affected if they do not know what is out there then I have to disagree since the "teasers" are being put up on the board. So, your argument is not valid anymore.

Steve can probably answer this better than I can but it's not like he is manually putting the teasers on the main board. It's likely a search engine that is looking for key words or something like that. Heck, right now there is a teaser that refererences the cards game last night.

Is your whole complaint about the pay site that the search engine generated teasers sometimes end up on the front of this board??? That seems to be nit picking to say the least.

No offense to Steve intended. I value what he does and the board he operates.

Ben has a product he wishes to sell, information he learns and scouting info of kids he can watch but most of us can't. There are many companies who perform this service. Ben is employed by one of the larger ones Scout.

Steve has a messageboard. He relies on posters independent to him to contribute to make it viable. I've donated to Steve as many of us have, but if he charged for this board, posters would be cut by 95% at the least.

Apples and Oranges Roy, don't compare the two.

you are right. it is apples and oranges. as to the 95%, i dont know if that is true. but lucky for us we wont ever have to find out. not that i have a problem paying. over the life of billikens.com i have paid more to billikens.com than i would have paid to whatever this scout site had i been a member.

with billikens.com, you get the enjoyment and insight the site gives and then pay if you want. with the pay site, you pay and then hope like hell some morsel is squeezed out to justify the upfront cost. as billiken rich pointed out, the pay site apparently is collecting advertising as well. steve doesnt do either. i'll take steve's site and then when timmermann gets around to giving us the 5 or 6 facts that this pay site contributes a year i'll be content.

thanks again steve for being a true fan's site.

If you want BW's inside info pay for it. I'm sure he doesn't want it shared on this board for free, which I agree with. BW's in the info business and those posters that pay for it are entitled to it all to themselves.

As for Steve, we all owe him a great deal of gratitude as he has operated, maintained and upgraded this board for more years than I care to remember. I hope he's getting ad money from Rivals, because the few pennies he asks from us every year or so can't cover his expenses. He deserves whatever he makes off Billikens.com. He's done it thru HS, GW, Princeton, and some other places we've probably never heard of. Personally, I think he's a member of the Trilateral, but he'll never admit to it. I know this though, when he runs for Prez I'm voting for Steverino. I don't care if he's a left wing radical Obama lovin' MF'er. Steve rocks. He deserves the Oval Office. Besides, he'll always accept emails or texts from Billiken,com posters, eg, "Sorry, Vlad, but this is from my Billiken friends. We can discuss that missile shield thing later. OK?"

you are right. it is apples and oranges. as to the 95%, i dont know if that is true. but lucky for us we wont ever have to find out. not that i have a problem paying. over the life of billikens.com i have paid more to billikens.com than i would have paid to whatever this scout site had i been a member.

with billikens.com, you get the enjoyment and insight the site gives and then pay if you want. with the pay site, you pay and then hope like hell some morsel is squeezed out to justify the upfront cost. as billiken rich pointed out, the pay site apparently is collecting advertising as well. steve doesnt do either. i'll take steve's site and then when timmermann gets around to giving us the 5 or 6 facts that this pay site contributes a year i'll be content.

thanks again steve for being a true fan's site.

Scout has advertising on its network. Ben doesn't see a dime of it.

I second everything everybody has had to say about Steve and the work he's done here.

This is the last I'll comment on this as i think I'm beating a dead horse but I've supported Ben partly because I see so many similarities between him and Steve. Ben is not raking in money from the site, it isn't supporting him at all. He'd need a lot more subscribers to do that. He doesn't care though. He works on it 24/7 because he loves what he does, he pays for trips out of pocket, covers every home game, and is in HS & AAU gyms all year long. If he isn't watching basketball, then he's talking or texting a coach, a scout, or a player about something. I think he gets a bad rap as a money grubber, or that he is trying to use this site as a way to funnel people to his. It's not true, he's covering Billikens & A10 basketball and recruiting right now simply because he loves doing it and he is putting out an exemplary product. Don't blame him for some front page anomaly on this site.