Butler to A10

http://blogs.indystar.com/butler/2012/03/12/pluses-and-minuses-of-atlantic-10/

A Butler "insider's" take on the subject. Doesn't sound as "done" as I had hoped, at least so far as this guy knows. And I don't think I agree with his thinking that Butler is a de facto independent. You'd have to maintain great success year in and year out to get the big boys to come play with you. As we well know. Also, he points out that along with X, Dayton and us, they'd get Fordham, LaSalle, Duquesne, etc.

Of the 7 or 8 comments below the blog, I think only two say they should stay in the Horizon, the rest are pointing out that the a10 got 8 teams into the postseason this year. Something that the Horizon can only dream of.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Butler needs to strike while the iron is hot. I guess the fans of Butler don't realize schools like them come and go. For selfish reasons, it would be nice to add Butler and Loyola over others schools because it would make more sense for SLU.

Butler should look at SIUC. Joining a better conference now will allow their program to sustain the success it has had.

For those wishing Fordham would leave, it is never gonna happen. A10 just moved its conference tournament long term to NYC. No way it boots out its only NYC team.

The only thing Insider about that writer is the name of his column, nearly everything he writes is hijacked from twitter and message boards. The sentiment is probably around 95% in favor, the A10 has reached out, and Butler leaked to Katz's sources that they are interested in moving.

As far as conference moves go, this is as concise and neat of a "courtship" as I've seen. I'd anticipate Butler will join after the NCAA Tournament.

The only thing Insider about that writer is the name of his column, nearly everything he writes is hijacked from twitter and message boards. The sentiment is probably around 95% in favor, the A10 has reached out, and Butler leaked to Katz's sources that they are interested in moving.

As far as conference moves go, this is as concise and neat of a "courtship" as I've seen. I'd anticipate Butler will join after the NCAA Tournament.

Hope you're right. I'd also like to see the A-10 woo Creighton if Charlotte departs. Then we'd have a clear path to creating two divisions of West and East. If my math is right, West: X, Dayton, SLU, Butler, Creighton, Duquense, and St. B's. East: UMass, Fordham, St.Joes, LaSalle, GW, Richmond, and RI. Or maybe switch St. B and Richmond. This would be great for SLU as we would get all our geographical rivals 2 times a year. Less travel $ and more fan interest. It makes too much sense, and therefore, probably won't happen.

First, after reading a little about Belmont today, I am more impressed by Belmont. Still, Belmont is clearly overshadowed by Vanderbilt down the street. 25 ACT score for Belmont. Found this link of A10 schools interesting.http://collegeapps.about.com/od/theact/a/atlantic-10-conference-act-scores.htm

Second, Eastern US?? Maybe. I just don't think of Nashville being Eastern US.

Third. Chosing a conference should involve alot more than how their men's basketball team did these past 2 years.

Fourth. Chicago has SO MUCH to offer with respect to national exposure for both the school and the sports programs, for students (future students and past students - us alums), for recruiting (men's basketball and all the sports), for relative close geography, natural rival between cities and professional sports teams and generally for the sports fan who wants to follow the team. My wife would much rather go to a Billiken game in Chicago if it meant a day on Michigan Ave, a day at the museums/aquarium for the kids and post-game meal at one of the hundreds of awesome restaurants. Not quite the same attraction with other cites.

Fifth. I'd only accept Chicago Loyola IF it built a new arena, added traing facilities and (sorry fans of Porter) hired a top coach -- if it did what SLU did. Northwestern and DePaul really aren't that much better. All three are remain "sleeping giants" - each with the potential to wake up and stop being the dormats of their respective conferences. Specifically, what makes SLU, X, Gonzaga, Seton Hall or GTown inherently more "big time" than Loyola? Nothing. A desire to become a Top 50 program is what the better basketball schools each have in common. Had Majerus gone to Loyola (he would not have b/c of their lack of facilities, budget, etc.), Loyola would be the best team in Chicago right now. Loyola over Northwestern and DePaul? Sure, just looke at Butler with much more recent NCAA success/Final Fours than the Indiana Hosiers!!

Moser will probably fare as poorly as any of the recent Loyola coaches, but I really doubt the school will fire him after one season. Also, being the best team in Chicago has been pretty worthless for many years. The local schools take the leftovers after schools from places like the Big 10, ND, Marquette, etc. come in and get players. DePaul was good once, Loyola had some decent teams 25-30 years ago, Northwestern has been bad for decades, etc. I agree that a big commitment would be needed to change the perception.

Great to hear your take on it! Really hoping it happens.

There was some talk by Majerus earlier in the year that we were close to a non-con home and home with Butler. Now if I had a dollar for every home and home RM says we are close on but never ends up happening, I'd be able to buy at least one NCAA tourney ticket so who knows how true it is. Nevertheless, if something was in the works for 2012/13 I wonder if we'll just cancel given that Butler would join the conference in 2013/14 or we could actually double up and play both sides of the home and home in 2012/13 (which occasionally happens).

Butler should look at SIUC. Joining a better conference now will allow their program to sustain the success it has had.

For those wishing Fordham would leave, it is never gonna happen. A10 just moved its conference tournament long term to NYC. No way it boots out its only NYC team.

Do you think Fordham has much impact on where the A10 tourney is played? They play in a gym that is smaller than UMSL's. I don't think the tourney being in NYC has as much to do with Fordham as it does with being in a better place than AC. NYC is easier for travel, MUCH more to do, etc.

Fifth. I'd only accept Chicago Loyola IF it built a new arena, added traing facilities and (sorry fans of Porter) hired a top coach -- if it did what SLU did. Northwestern and DePaul really aren't that much better. All three are remain "sleeping giants" - each with the potential to wake up and stop being the dormats of their respective conferences. Specifically, what makes SLU, X, Gonzaga, Seton Hall or GTown inherently more "big time" than Loyola? Nothing. A desire to become a Top 50 program is what the better basketball schools each have in common. Had Majerus gone to Loyola (he would not have b/c of their lack of facilities, budget, etc.), Loyola would be the best team in Chicago right now. Loyola over Northwestern and DePaul? Sure, just looke at Butler with much more recent NCAA success/Final Fours than the Indiana Hosiers!!

Clock, you do realize that Loyola just got done renovating the Gentile Arena this past year, right? I highly doubt the university is going to build a new arena right after spending millions to upgrade their current one, all in hopes of joining another conference. They also just opened up a new training facility in 2011 (The Norville Center), so again, highly doubtful that they are going to look to expand upon those facilities in the near future.

Do I think Loyola belongs in the same conference as SLU/Butler/Dayton/x? No. No. And no.

But the newley renovated Gentile Arena is a solid step in them getting the program on track. http://www.chicagonow.com/loyola-rambler-hoops/files/2011/11/finalized-gentile1.jpg

It's no Chaifetz though.

Our Jewish arena is better than their Gentile arena.

+1

I did hear an announcer pronounce our Arena's name "HI-futz Arena" once, with that very guttural Hebrew H-sound. Wish I could remember who said it.

+1

I did hear an announcer pronounce our Arena's name "HI-futz Arena" once, with that very guttural Hebrew H-sound. Wish I could remember who said it.

jim hayes?

jim hayes?

Shoot, I really can't remember. I think it was an out-of-towner, though. I'll never remember who it was or what the broadcast was, except that it made my wife and me laugh our asses off.

Clock, you do realize that Loyola just got done renovating the Gentile Arena this past year, right? I highly doubt the university is going to build a new arena right after spending millions to upgrade their current one, all in hopes of joining another conference. They also just opened up a new training facility in 2011 (The Norville Center), so again, highly doubtful that they are going to look to expand upon those facilities in the near future.

Thanks for the update. No. I did not realize these renovations were done. And yes, I agree that that Loyola probably is not wanting to spend the money to build a new building. A few comments back. First, unfortunately this would not be the smallest or worst arena in the A10. At the same time, 4700 is not big enough. Great for the Horizon. Not great for A10 or any new league with SLU. Second, by comparision, Chaifetz holds 10,600, Cintas holds 10,000, Bulter's Hinkle now holds 10,000, Creighton holds 15,000 plus. MO State's new arena holds 11,000 and SIUC now holds 8,339. In short, neither the A10 nor the Valley is perfect (and both have some weak sisters) but the better A10 schools (SLU, UD, X), the "better" Valley schools (Creighton, SIUC, Bradley and MO State) and the best Horizon school (Butler) each have facilites which are nearly double (some triple) the size of Gentile Arena. Frankly, I still wish SLU would have build a 12,000 seat Chaifetz but that's another topic. Third, and not saying things have to be done immediately, but commitments need to be made. Much easier to command actions be done prior to joining than after joining. If not, and Loyola Chicago has every right to be comfortable with their newly renovated arena, this does not make the other schools (Loyola or Duquesne or ...) evil, bad or inferior... but instead it just means they would not, do not, make for a good basketball partnership with SLU.

OT: I just watched "Ides of March" last night, and a chunk of the ending was filmed either at X or the Cintas Center (or Hollywood reproductions of same).

Tis true. My brother-in-law is in one of the scenes with Clooney, much to my sister's chagrin.

Hope you're right. I'd also like to see the A-10 woo Creighton if Charlotte departs. Then we'd have a clear path to creating two divisions of West and East. If my math is right, West: X, Dayton, SLU, Butler, Creighton, Duquense, and St. B's. East: UMass, Fordham, St.Joes, LaSalle, GW, Richmond, and RI. Or maybe switch St. B and Richmond. This would be great for SLU as we would get all our geographical rivals 2 times a year. Less travel $ and more fan interest. It makes too much sense, and therefore, probably won't happen.

DePaul would be better off coming into revitalized

A10 that has again 4 teams in NCAA

yeah, most of the movie was filmed in cincinnati. it was a big deal when they were here filming. Clooney this, Clooney that....blah, blah, blah. heard it ws

a good movie though...

Clearly, both universities should show double-features of "Up In The Air" and "The Ides of March" on the night before game days next year. Maybe we could get George (who was said to have worked out at the 'Fetz regularly while he was filming) to show up. Surely then we'd get decent student attendance, at least from half of them.