RM expects another team to leave A-10, who could it be?

slu72

My money's on either Charlotte or UMyass. Both have FB programs. UM, I read somwhere, has CT envy and may be looking to make the leap to BCS status. This is understandable as years ago they were big rivals in the Yankee conference until CT bolted for the Beast. Is there room for UM in the Beast, or would they be full up if Temple makes the move, which is probably a behind closed doors slam dunk done deal already? And where will Charlotte's new born FB program find a home? CUSA is a likely spot, since most of the remaining schools are Southern based. I don't think X goes anywhere w/o Dayton as well. Also, does the Beast really need more non FB schools at this point? RM also stated he's positioning us to get into "the all Catholic" league, he thinks will come once the Beast finally uses up all its nine lives. Watch for the ACC to make a grab for CT and Rutgers for more TV exposure in some pretty big markets, actually the biggest of them all, NYC. It just makes no sense for the ACC to leave a hole that big in their TV exposure. I'm visiting my daughter this week in ATL and one of the radio stations said that eventually the ACC tourney wants to stage their annual extravaganza in the Big Apple in addition to Greensboro, ATL, and Miami. They're probably not going to the MSG until they finally decimate the Beast. And here we go again.

Really all that matters at this point is that X and Dayton don't leave. Everyone else is replaceable as far as SLU is concerned.

Agreed. And maybe I'm naive but I just don't see X or Dayton getting the call from the Beast anytime soon. One big reason is UC not wanting them in the conference. It's bad enough they stage one UFC contest a year, they won't want to hold 2 of them.

UMass is a likely choice. So is Charolette.

-As a Boston native, and someone who has a lot of friends still back there, I can spreak to the very fierce jealousy of UMass towards UConn. They are both preppy, crappy, party time New England schools full of mostly Massholes who didn't care to try to get into one of the many prestigious private schools in the area. They are so similar, even their nicknames in the area are unorgininal: ZooMass and ZooConn. Seriously? Anyways, the one thing that seperates them is basketball recognition, not that Umass doesn't have any of it. Final Four year, couple of nice deep tourney runs. And of late UMass football has been a force to deal in the FCS. If the Beast gives the nod towards UMass they have all the A10 banners torn down before the story even breaks. Whether or not you think that its a wise choice for their programs, its what they want, really all they want. I don't see the Beast offering an invite as anything crazy. They would love to get back into the Boston Market (I laugh every time) since BC left for the ACC. If UConn does get the nod from the ACC, the Beast would be even more likely to call up UMass (which is what I'm actually more skeptical of... ACC fan's are purists and elitist. UConn's academic legacy, problems with NCAA violations would turn off ACC big heads. My father, a Maryland grad, still complains about FSU and VaTech being in the conference, old grudges die hard. Not that he has any pull but his feelings are not unique.)

-Charolette to the CUSA is a smart move for both parties. Natural rival there with ECU and a few others close by.

-I don't think either of these programs leaving hurt the A10 that much.

Where did you hear that RM said another team was leaving the A10 - if you are refering to his interview with BM yesterday then he never said that - I listened to the entire interview. What he said was that with the BE probably going to break up and other realignments taking place there is always a possibility of the A10 changing its composition.

Where did you hear that RM said another team was leaving the A10 - if you are refering to his interview with BM yesterday then he never said that - I listened to the entire interview. What he said was that with the BE probably going to break up and other realignments taking place there is always a possibility of the A10 changing its composition.

He most certainly did. He said Temple was for sure leaving and he heard there was another team that was contemplating leaving.

If you say so but I did not hear that.

I made it up, Cheese. :ph34r: Actually I read it in the post about RM and BM's interview. I didn't listen to the interview, so if I mis-spoke, mea culpas. However, Ecklecamp said he heard it as well. Maybe you should revisit the playback. But it makes sense as Charlotte is starting its FB team and the A-10 is no longer a good fit for them. My guess is Charlotte would be the most likely to bolt to CUSA. UMass will need an invite from the Beast to make the jump.

You guys do not keep up! :)

UMass is already in the MAC for football (starting next year) just like Temple is/was and will be playing UConn, Michigan, and Vandy for non-conf games this year (all on the road). They will play BC next year. Their whole program has an extremely artificial quality as their "home games"--the 4 they get--will be played 2 hours away at Foxboro. The students are getting totally screwed as UMass basically sold their name in order to be "big time" and play "buy games".

You guys do not keep up! :)

UMass is already in the MAC for football (starting next year) just like Temple is/was and will be playing UConn, Michigan, and Vandy for non-conf games this year (all on the road). They will play BC next year. Their whole program has an extremely artificial quality as their "home games"--the 4 they get--will be played 2 hours away at Foxboro. The students are getting totally screwed as UMass basically sold their name in order to be "big time" and play "buy games".

I knew they played in the MAC, as did Temple. Question is, why didn't the Beast pursue them as well? It makes more sense, at least from the conference's regional name, to bring them into the fold than say SD State. Plus they've got more final 4 history than Temple and they don't a crosstown rival, ie Nova, probably unhappy Temple was picked.

-I am positive I heard mention that there was another team that was thinking about leaving.

-If he is trying to posistion us to be in this Papal conference then it isn't us. We want to be close by X and Dayton. Mainly X.

-In 2 or 3 years. X will consider us their main rival. Regardless of their geographic relation to Dayton.

-In 2 or 3 years we will not consider X a rival... But a routine!

The ACC has made it clear that they are not interested in UCONN. Believe me, if they were, they would already be gone. UCONN has not been shy in their interest. UCONN football is atrocious AND they burned bridges big time with BC when they left the Big East the first time. Remember, UCONN sued Boston College and declare they would never play them again.

I made it up, Cheese. :ph34r: Actually I read it in the post about RM and BM's interview. I didn't listen to the interview, so if I mis-spoke, mea culpas. However, Ecklecamp said he heard it as well. Maybe you should revisit the playback. But it makes sense as Charlotte is starting its FB team and the A-10 is no longer a good fit for them. My guess is Charlotte would be the most likely to bolt to CUSA. UMass will need an invite from the Beast to make the jump.

I did say "if you say so but I did not hear that" what you did not like my Rush Limbough apology?

I knew they played in the MAC, as did Temple. Question is, why didn't the Beast pursue them as well? It makes more sense, at least from the conference's regional name, to bring them into the fold than say SD State. Plus they've got more final 4 history than Temple and they don't a crosstown rival, ie Nova, probably unhappy Temple was picked.

72. Recent reallignments have shown that football is king, that bad football is better than no football but that good football is still more important than bad football. In short, UMass football is simply bad and SD State is deemed to be better (though a geographic problem). Temple's basketball history means nothing -- just look at Kansas for an example of how the BCS conferences completely ignored Kansas despite it being a perennial Top 10, or possibly Top 5, basketball program.

For instance, the BE was not interested in Memphis for years. Memphis football has been bad football (record, coaches, players, facilities, etc.) even though their basketball has been really good. The BE took Cincy and KY but not Memphis. After getting shut out, Memphis decided to change its ways and started to make more of a financial commitment. With significant upgrades these past few years, Memphis has now been invited and joined the BE. UMass and UNC-Charlotte football still have a ways to go but if similar improvements are made there, then invitations may be extended by the BCS conferences to them in the future - see Memphis. For now, the BE wants to improve the quality of it football and not just the quantity.

Regarding SLU, the A10 and contraction of sports conferences in general, there is not a doubt in my mind that if the A10 were to contract, or truly threaten to contract, and kick out certain schools, these schools would then receive the wakeup call and act accordingly. The A10 is plagued by bad facilities including antiquated gyms holding 3,500 people, low athletic budgets for coaches and teams, the lack of local advertisement and sponsorships, bad season ticket sales are a problem in the A10 just like the lack of football commitment was in Memphis. No way would Memphis have made the improvements they did to football on their own if they were already in the BE. As a condition to get in the BE, Memphis made the commitment. IMO, I want the A10 to require similar a commitment to basketball within say five (5) years. If not, these schools run the risk of being kicked out and/or replaced. In short, it's not that we really want certain schools out of the A10 as much as we want a greater commitment to by these certain schools.

Just look at ourselves. Ten years ago, we promoted our assistant coach, we paid him less than his predecessor (who made less than his predecessor) and we practiced in West Pine Gym and we trained in a weight room and with locker room facilities worse than 90% of all high schools. Now look at our commitment to basketball. When the BE brought in DePaul and Marquette, we were an f)ing joke. No real consideration of us. Maybe now some conferences and other schools - those not requiring football programs - would at least consider us.

Really all that matters at this point is that X and Dayton don't leave. Everyone else is replaceable as far as SLU is concerned.

I would like to believe that, but it isn't the case. We joined the A10 for the east coast exposure and it has now lost one of the east coast programs that gets exposure on the east coast. If a further shake out would happen such as one of the few remaining schools that gets you east coast exposure like UMass leaves the reason for joining the A10 is gone. Are you willing to commit to all that travel for all your teams just to hang out with X and the sweater vesters?

I hope Biondi has been working on laying the ground work for an escape plan since we joined the conference. I hope he learned a lesson from the CUSA collaspe.

Wow, Charlotte is really taking a step back in basketball to pursue football. Good luck with that. If the A-10 can add Butler, the league will be just fine. It will also shouldn't be a problem to replace the likes of Charlotte on the heels of the A-10 getting four NCAA bids. That will appeal to a lot of mid-majors. George Mason, Drexel and Iona off the top of my head. Maybe Detroit or Loyola Chicago if the A-10 wants to continue to look West.

Wow, Charlotte is really taking a step back in basketball to pursue football. Good luck with that. If the A-10 can add Butler, the league will be just fine. It will also shouldn't be a problem to replace the likes of Charlotte on the heels of the A-10 getting four NCAA bids. That will appeal to a lot of mid-majors. George Mason, Drexel and Iona off the top of my head. Maybe Detroit or Loyola Chicago if the A-10 wants to continue to look West.

If you've been paying attention for the past several years, football is leading the way. It's not a surprise that they're thinking this way. My only thought here is that Charlotte could try to stay in the A10 for all sports except football.

Also, I'm happy that the A10 has 4 teams in. That's great. However, SBU is only in because they won the conference tourney and XU would have been a bubble team if we could have beaten them in AC. I DO agree that the A10 was clearly the best non-BCS conference the past couple of years and would be a step up for most mid-majors. As I (along with many others) have posted on here, let's not add in teams simply for numbers. Let's start with Butler and see what happens.

Charlotte.. at least if you look at the demographics of these schools, Charlotte is the biggest misfit.. Public, Not close to any other school.. Doesn't really make any sense for them to have joined.

They were in the exact same boat we were; CUSA's best programs jumped to the Big East and we had to make a quick decision. Without football, the A10 was the most attractive option for both Charlotte and SLU. Football changes things. As for the 'public' thing, Temple, UMass, and Rhode Island are also all big public schools.

With the talk of UMass leaving, the A-10 should make a push for Northeastern. Seems like a good fit. NE has no football, easy access to flights from Logan and a separate, major media market and decent enough basketball relative the lower-ranks of the A-10. As far as academics, very much in line with SLU, GW, Fordham. Would be a nice fit.