ot - lost in all of this...pevely

Cowboy

Well JJ's survives because ... well its JJs.

But the rest of them have only been open for about 2 years now. Diablitos just opened this year - Six Row opened last year? - The Lab opened last year - Spring Street Lofts opened 2ish or 3 years ago? Same w/ The Library Annex, same with Cafe Ventana.

Not a very good sample of who is making it. I mentioned who has gone under in an earlier post. I also forgot about all the retail down the street from Triumph that cannot be leased. I know there was a pizza shop that went out of business there. I know the night club there wasnt doing very well for a long time (though they are still there now I think), and Vibe nightclub had to shut down do to too many shootings...

Do you any idea what the average life span of any new restaurant or bar is regardless of location? Under a year. Places closing isn't a sign of an area not making it............. Places not replacing the closed businesses and established places closing is a danger sign. The midtown district is doing pretty well and Grand Center deserves a bigger thanks than SLU.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The midtown district is doing pretty well and Grand Center deserves a bigger thanks than SLU.

-just a question, grand center puts more people in the area on a daily basis than SLU? or is it more people using the businesses (other than SLU owned enterprises)? not sure i see this

Well JJ's survives because ... well its JJs.

But the rest of them have only been open for about 2 years now. Diablitos just opened this year - Six Row opened last year? - The Lab opened last year - Spring Street Lofts opened 2ish or 3 years ago? Same w/ The Library Annex, same with Cafe Ventana.

Not a very good sample of who is making it. I mentioned who has gone under in an earlier post. I also forgot about all the retail down the street from Triumph that cannot be leased. I know there was a pizza shop that went out of business there. I know the night club there wasnt doing very well for a long time (though they are still there now I think), and Vibe nightclub had to shut down do to too many shootings...

What would be a good example then? Vito's? Humps? Dante's (Only for the brave, :o) ? What about Kota? I know several students back in the day would go to The Best Steak House. Except for Kota, those have all been there forever.

Pickleman's is doing so well that JJ's is moving onto Laclede to be closer to the students. Diablitos took over for Iggy's because the owners think so much of the area. Spring Street is booked full and there is a waiting list for people to live there, Same with Coronado, Lindell Towers, etc... The Shoe Lofts are taking off and The Fieldhouse is doing better now, in its second year, than it did last year. The Vandeventer apartments, even as crappy as they are (sorry SAEs), are completely full. 3949 isn't doing well because, again, its outpriced itself in the market. You expect college kids to live there? As for the retail, well, they happened to build during a really crappy economic time. Bummer.

Lacledes has struggled because the management is terrible. Remember that liquor license fiasco? Chuy's is still open, with limited hours. The reason? IMHO the food wasn't anything special and it was really expensive. Even still, students go there on Friday and Saturday nights.

You original theory, that students don't interact with the surrounding area, is completely ridiculous.

This thread has gotten so weird it is hard to follow. To clarify my thinking: I think SLU is an incredible asset for Midtown. I think the students interact well with the surrounding businesses. However, I think SLU could do a better job on its land use policy, restricting its demos, and being a better "neighbor."

At least we can all agree that SLU/ St. Louis > Xavier/Cinci.

-just a question, grand center puts more people in the area on a daily basis than SLU? or is it more people using the businesses (other than SLU owned enterprises)? not sure i see this

I'd venture to say SLU puts more people in the city, but Grand Center probably does a better job of marketing the area. Except for them experimenting with parking meters until 9 p.m., they have done a relatively good job of promoting the area, imho.

Well, in fairness, they did hire RickMa, which led to a major spike in business both for Mike and for the Fountain on Locust. :D

that would be an expense for pappy's and fountain. gotta pay the bill for it to end up a positive.

The thing is SLU has been there for almost 200 years. The area is starting to come back because of the efforts of Grand Center and others. If you listen to some of SLU honks you would never think anyone else was responsible for anything happening in the area. People put money in to Grand Center buildings long before SLU started the campus makeover. You had the Mary and Leon Strauss with the Fox Theater. You have the Sheldon. You have the SLSO with Powell Hall. You have Channel 9 setting up shop down there. Harris Stowe has invested big money on its campus. Wells Fargo (AG Edwards) invested big bucks on its campus. Cardinal Ritter built a whole new campus. The Pulitzer Foundation built its museum. You have the museum of Contempary Art. You have the Moolah Shrine. The Coronado. All of this stuff and others happened outside of SLU and sometimes despite SLU.

LU brings a lot of people to the area on a day in day out basis, but the people they bring are largely broke college kids. They don't have much money to spend.

The thing is SLU has been there for almost 200 years. The area is starting to come back because of the efforts of Grand Center and others. If you listen to some of SLU honks you would never think anyone else was responsible for anything happening in the area. People put money in to Grand Center buildings long before SLU started the campus makeover. You had the Mary and Leon Strauss with the Fox Theater. You have the Sheldon. You have the SLSO with Powell Hall. You have Channel 9 setting up shop down there. Harris Stowe has invested big money on its campus. Wells Fargo (AG Edwards) invested big bucks on its campus. Cardinal Ritter built a whole new campus. The Pulitzer Foundation built its museum. You have the museum of Contempary Art. You have the Moolah Shrine. The Coronado. All of this stuff and others happened outside of SLU and sometimes despite SLU.

LU brings a lot of people to the area on a day in day out basis, but the people they bring are largely broke college kids. They don't have much money to spend.

SLU has been in St. Louis for almost 200 years. SLU has not been in midtown for almost 200 years. The campus was donated by the Frost family (after the civil war I think).

Do you any idea what the average life span of any new restaurant or bar is regardless of location? Under a year.

This is a thoroughly disproved urban myth, raised to a national-consciousness level by that mercenary Rocco DiSpirito when he did the fictional reality show "The Restaurant." Restaurants fail at very close to the same rate as any other small business. (Results of one of the seminal academic studies on this can be found here.)

SLU has been in St. Louis for almost 200 years. SLU has not been in midtown for almost 200 years. The campus was donated by the Frost family (after the civil war I think).

http://www.slu.edu/sluhistory/timeline1.html

I was wrong about the Frost family, but correct about not being in midtown until after the Civil War

• 5 months later...

http://nextstl.com/p...edical-facility

Can anyone confirm or deny this?

If this is true, then it really makes SLU out to be a bunch of a-holes for stating that the only way for a new medical center to be built was to demolish the Pevely building, only for the university to change its mind after the city ruled in its favor and the demolition was complete.

Well, I'm already seeing on Twitter word to the contrary:

@landmarks_stl: "Spoke with Clayton Berry, Asst VP of Comm. at SLU. Says Pevely plans still moving forward."

That's pretty much the answer I would have expected from the university, regardless of what the situation actually is.

I'm hearing that Fr. Biondi received permission from the City to demolish the Pevely Building in exchange for moving the Law School downtown. Anyone confirm? Sure, most likely, Fr. Biondi already had thoughts about using the Scott Building for a new law school but the timing of the recent events is odd. Almost the same time/week, SLU obtains permission to tear it down and Fr. Biondi rushes out the announcement of the new Law School building.

The Law School has been searching for a new building for years. The renovation of the old bookstore and the use/expansion into the old mnasion next door have been patches or band aids on the problem -- a new building is needed to be a top tier law school. Just look at Wash Univ which now has two (2) new buildings (last one is beautiful) since SLU's current building. If the the downtown building/Scott Building is so great, and if all the synerigies of being downtown by the Courthouses and large law firms is so great, then why not bring the Law School Dean on board and plan the transition. Move into the new building by now (Fall 2012) only to then move it back to next year is not a sign of a well-thought out transfer. Same with informing the Law School Dean three (3) days prior to public announcment. IMO, all of this points toward a political deal cut by Fr. Biondi himself with the City -- quite probably involving the Peavly Building. Add to this not only the "in your face" approach used by the outgoing Law School Dean but also the "silence" from the law school faculty and the appointment of a trial lawyer as the interim deam and it looks quite clear that the law school faculty are not behind Fr. Biondi.

This same approach was used by Fr. Biondi on Cheryl Levick. Why does he do this? Yes, Cheryl had just recently and publicly supported Brad; however, that was based upon her knowing how cheap Fr. Biondi was, how relatively "underfunded" the sports/basketball programs were. For a program with no real success since Ed Macauly and with a budget of $350,000, a school could have done worse than Brad Soderberg. Had Cheryl realized that Dr. Chaifetz was now involved, that Tony Novelly had his checkbook out and ready and that RM was a real possibility, then no doubt in my mind that Cheryl Levick would have let Brad go. Instead, Fr. Biondi cut the deal with Chaifetz/Novelly and then turned his sights on RM without the help/involvement of Cheryl and selfishly did things all himself and embarrassed her (as well as SLU and himself) in the same manner he just did with the Law School Dean. Again, why does Fr. Biondi use/abuse his employees like this?

And yet Fr. Biondi walks around campus with his head held high and wearing the white collar. Sorry, but it's time for Fr. Biondi to go. Like all politicians, his time limit has expired.

Talked to the VP for Enrollment & Retention Management today and asked him about the article from NextSTL. He said there's no truth to the article, and that SLU is still very much planning on making the Pevely site that Ambulatory Care facility we all heard about. The biggest question mark is who will be footing the cost of the building... SLU? Tenet? split half and half? I think that is still what is up in the air...

• 2 weeks later...

Talked to the VP for Enrollment & Retention Management today and asked him about the article from NextSTL. He said there's no truth to the article, and that SLU is still very much planning on making the Pevely site that Ambulatory Care facility we all heard about. The biggest question mark is who will be footing the cost of the building... SLU? Tenet? split half and half? I think that is still what is up in the air...

NextSTL is saying on Twitter: "Pevely demo contractor has been told to hold indefinitely on site work" and adds "More evidence SLU may be looking at new site."