Recruiting a big man

bbill

Anybody have any insight into the Bills recruiting a big man for next year's team -- maybe a juco player? I know they technically don't have any scholarships, but I'm sure they can work that part out (sorry Roy).

We're really going to miss Conklin.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Anybody have any insight into the Bills recruiting a big man for next year's team -- maybe a juco player? I know they technically don't have any scholarships, but I'm sure they can work that part out (sorry Roy).

You have CR, RL. JM, and GG. They will have to do the job. Looking for more BIGS for the next year!?

Who do you think should get cut?

I've assumed since the summer practices that the greek and gandy were one and dones. The only thing that might save them is if cutting either or both f's up the apr.

Agreed, we have 4 bigs for next year, use them.

Yes, and I believe they will be very good Billikens before all is said and done. Thankfully, though, this is the first season since Coach Majerus has been here that he hasn't had to rely heavily on newcomers. Manning and Glaze are good players, but they're not so good as frosh that they can keep the experienced players off of the floor, if the team is going to win.

I've assumed since the summer practices that the greek and gandy were one and dones. The only thing that might save them is if cutting either or both f's up the apr.

This is a ridiculous & unfair post. It's not cool to name a player's name as a possible transfer in the middle of the season. Neither of those two has done anything to deserve that.

How about we focus on the Philly trip? Oh, wait, since the team is doing well it's time to start bringing up other crap to try to make Rick look bad.

This is a ridiculous & unfair post. It's not cool to name a player's name as a possible transfer in the middle of the season. Neither of those two has done anything to deserve that.

How about we focus on the Philly trip? Oh, wait, since the team is doing well it's time to start bringing up other crap to try to make Rick look bad.

I didn't say I agree with it. And the original poster brought my name up. I didn't start it. I would love to be wrong.

I think we have the potential to have an excellent team next year but have an obvious hole in the post. I agree Manning will eventually be a very good player, but it's hard to believe he'll go from essentially no playing time in conference to a solid starter in one year.

Not trying to rip on any of the existing players, but I think we have a unique opportunity to go fairly deep in the tournament in '13 with a strong inside prescence.

I have never seen the greek kid and don't know anything about his ability. If, however, he wants to play college basketball and it is apparent from his redshirt year that SLU isn't the right level for him, I would hope and expect that Majerus would encourage and help him to find a new school. To do otherwise, would be a disservice to the program and the kid.

I think we have the potential to have an excellent team next year but have an obvious hole in the post. I agree Manning will eventually be a very good player, but it's hard to believe he'll go from essentially no playing time in conference to a solid starter in one year.

Not trying to rip on any of the existing players, but I think we have a unique opportunity to go fairly deep in the tournament in '13 with a strong inside prescence.

At least wait till this seasons over! We have a a unique opportunity this year, period. Next year can wait.

I really want to see Glaze get a few more minutes at the end of games just so I can see him play more. That said, he seems really undersized to be that effective in the middle. Of course, with the Billiken's legacy at that position (e.g. Donnie Dobbs, Jeff Harris, Conklin), I guess size/height is not as important as passion and energy, but it sure would be nice to have a 6'10" big man with the same passion and energy (and smarts) as Conklin. Hopefully, Manning will be that as he has the size, but Glaze just doesn't have the size part.

There's nothing wrong with talking about next year. We're no longer in the process of becoming a good program. We are a good program now and this is the first year of it. Next year will be the second year. I believe RM and Chaifetz have turned the ship around and we are finally heading in the right direction. How far will they take us - who knows? Part of being a good program is winning now and continuing to win by putting together consecutive good years. In order to do that we have to take care of the present, but not lose sight of the future.

Our inside presence scares the crap out of me. We have some good freshman, but I just don't see them replacing BC next year. That's not a knock on either of them. In a good program, that's usually the way it is. The combination of CE, RL, and CR will have to collectively get the job down. I don't see DE taking that over. He can help depending on matchups, but he's not a big. Hopefully, JM will be ready to contribute by conference play of next year.

I don't see Evans as a replacement for Conklin because he already is on the floor, same with Loe. Ellis is great, but not as a big/center. I am hopeful about Manning based on RM's comments and Cory certainly has the athleticism, but I still worry.

BTW - I have been saying since he was first recruited that Evans was going to be one of our top players over his four years and I still stick by that - he missed another double-double by just one point last night and he's only a sophomore! I am really excited about his upside.

I think Manning is better than CR now but we only have this year to convince CR he can be as good as his body

His few minutes against Dayton may have been the best he has had save two minutes in the prior games 9-12 where he had three fouls.

If he gets over stagefrght he goes right to center stage from the audience

I really want to see Glaze get a few more minutes at the end of games just so I can see him play more. That said, he seems really undersized to be that effective in the middle. Of course, with the Billiken's legacy at that position (e.g. Donnie Dobbs, Jeff Harris, Conklin), I guess size/height is not as important as passion and energy, but it sure would be nice to have a 6'10" big man with the same passion and energy (and smarts) as Conklin. Hopefully, Manning will be that as he has the size, but Glaze just doesn't have the size part.

A 6'10" guy with the passion and energy of Conklin is a McDonald's all American and future pro.