For the record...

moytoy12

While we won the refs didn't do SLU any favors either. These three zebras had to be the worst of the year.

+1. The guy who sits next to me who I have NEVER heard say anything about the refs made a few comments tonight. That tells me something.

These refs were just terrible all the way around. They didn't have any bias, other than against competency. The 2 touch fouls against KM in the 1st half were a disgrace, as was the offensive foul on Conklin on the screen he set. JJ realized how terrible the refs were early, as he knew that any drive he made would end in a foul call in his favor, That is why he started just going in with no intent to make a shot, knowing he would end up going to the line anyway.

These refs were just terrible all the way around. They didn't have any bias, other than against competency. The 2 touch fouls against KM in the 1st half were a disgrace, as was the offensive foul on Conklin on the screen he set. JJ realized how terrible the refs were early, as he knew that any drive he made would end in a foul call in his favor, That is why he started just going in with no intent to make a shot, knowing he would end up going to the line anyway.

It really is amazing to watch these refs up close and personal. They make some of the worst calls you could imagine and at times it is impossible to understand what game they are watching. After the big star for SB got his second early foul the coach pulled the one ref over to him after about 5 or 6 minutes and said you have ruined the game with our star on the bench. In the next few minutes that same ref called two terrible fouls on Conklin including the one on the screen which was totally bogus and so he then evened things out because Conklin had to sit for 11 minutes. We had so many fouls at halftime that we had three guys on the court with two fouls as time ran out because it seemed like everyone had two fouls. I give our guards huge credit--I am sure with some help from the coaching staff--but once they saw how the game was being called they just put their heads down and drove to the basket and either made a layup or got fouled. It was beautiful!

It really is amazing to watch these refs up close and personal. They make some of the worst calls you could imagine and at times it is impossible to understand what game they are watching. After the big star for SB got his second early foul the coach pulled the one ref over to him after about 5 or 6 minutes and said you have ruined the game with our star on the bench. In the next few minutes that same ref called two terrible fouls on Conklin including the one on the screen which was totally bogus and so he then evened things out because Conklin had to sit for 11 minutes. We had so many fouls at halftime that we had three guys on the court with two fouls as time ran out because it seemed like everyone had two fouls. I give our guards huge credit--I am sure with some help from the coaching staff--but once they saw how the game was being called they just put their heads down and drove to the basket and either made a layup or got fouled. It was beautiful!

That screen call on BC was not good but what got me was about a minute later their #11 does a moving screen on our guy and the refs are looking around at the ceiling going "dum de dum". In the second half there Evans and JJ got mugged - literally knocked to the court - and there were no fouls called. The walking was just amazing that was going on. One ref called walking on them when it clearly was an offensive foul. The refs were terrible but by and large they were terrible for the whole game and for both teams. By the way the second foul their big guy got was just stupid on his part - he was grabbing for the ball standing behind our guy - in what universe would he not think a foul would not be called.

that was the sixth game I've been to this season and it was by far the worst officiated game all season. I think the difference was our ability to keep our cool and adjust vs. St. Bonaventure losing it getting those two Ts in the first couple minutes of the second half. That was definately the turning point. By the way, I watch CBB every night and that was the first game I've seen all year with two technicals called at all, let alone on the same team, let alone within two minutes. lets hope we don't draw those refs anymore.

Michael Roberts, Tony Crisp, Ed Crenshaw Jr. are the names of the goats.

I can assure you Ed Crenshaw Jr (the bald one) did not hurt the Bills last night. It was almost comical in the first half how he'd have a call that helped us on one end and one of the other two would kill us on the other end the very next play.

There were some really bad calls against the Bills in the first half led by the two clowns, but on the whole, in a game where one team depends so much on one player, its hard for us to complain when the refs effectively fouled that player out of the game in a very short amount of time.

The internet feed included the play-by-play from 101. I thought Rammer delivered a cow many times. As I said in the GDT thread, one sequence for Rammer was "Kloof with the ball on the right wing. He drives. He stops. He pivots. He jump steps. he walks. He scores." Late, Gathers fouled Cassity on the sidelines in front of the broadcast team. Earl says something like "Gathers obviuously didn't like that call. Look at the scowl on his face. He's saying to the ref 'Hey we're Bona, we're in first place. You can't call that on me.'"

I also thought in the first half that refs were challenging both coaches as if to say "I'm in charge so sit down." The smaller of the two black refs seemed to have a Napoleonic complex. The bald white guy was just awful. Why did they review that Bona foul in the firts half? Rammer thoguht they were headed to a double foul and they seemd to be looking to finger Jett.

Bona fans wil complain and I cannot argue with their feelings of "we got homered." But there was no finesse in their game whatsoever. These guys were really incompetent. Worst I have seen in a while.

The internet feed included the play-by-play from 101. I thought Rammer delivered a cow many times. As I said in the GDT thread, one sequence for Rammer was "Kloof with the ball on the right wing. He drives. He stops. He pivots. He jump steps. he walks. He scores." Late, Gathers fouled Cassity on the sidelines in front of the broadcast team. Earl says something like "Gathers obviuously didn't like that call. Look at the scowl on his face. He's saying to the ref 'Hey we're Bona, we're in first place. You can't call that on me.'"

I also thought in the first half that refs were challenging both coaches as if to say "I'm in charge so sit down." The smaller of the two black refs seemed to have a Napoleonic complex. The bald white guy was just awful. Why did they review that Bona foul in the firts half? Rammer thoguht they were headed to a double foul and they seemd to be looking to finger Jett.

Bona fans wil complain and I cannot argue with their feelings of "we got homered." But there was no finesse in their game whatsoever. These guys were really incompetent. Worst I have seen in a while.

All three refs were black.

actually, i agreed with the conklin moving screen call. he went out of his way last second to get a piece of the st bonnie guard.

crenshaw (this isnt an endorsement of crenshaw as much as a statement on a-10 refs in general) is definitely amongst the best in the a-10.

while there were some touch fouls called on us, surely if everyone is looking open mindedly, you could see st bonnie got even more called on them.

my only b!tch is that the refs do not call games this close all the time. no way a coach can prepare a team if they dont know if the closely called game is coming or the let em play game is on tap.

i believe if the refs always called the game like last night the game of basketball would soar because no longer would the rugby/football version of basketball be the norm. coaches would adjust their style of play and rosters to the real game. teams would play more zone, athletes rather than bruisers would be on the floor.

as to those b!tching about the officiating, it sealed the game for us. we obviously had the deeper team that could withstand the foul trouble. and no doubt nicholson basically not being able to play was a humongous penalty to st bonnie.

Setting aside if the Bills benefited in the long run, as a fan of the game of basketball the refs were just awful. The first half took almost an hour with 22? fouls called and no consistency.

Here is a website that tracks stats on refs. Maybe one of the number crunchers on the board could tell if any of this is useful:

http://statsheet.com/mcb/referees/tony-crisp

My favorite was the non-call late in the 2nd half when Jett, with a tremendous effort, daove and stole the ball near the student corner and was clearly not going to stop within bounds, but the Bonnie slammed him to the floor on his way - should have been a flagrant... If it didn't happen right in front of you, you couldn't see it. It was right in front of the ref...

Setting aside if the Bills benefited in the long run, as a fan of the game of basketball the refs were just awful. The first half took almost an hour with 22? fouls called and no consistency. Here is a website that tracks stats on refs. Maybe one of the number crunchers on the board could tell if any of this is useful: http://statsheet.com/mcb/referees/tony-crisp

it says he calls 2 less fouls on the home team but that it is not statistically significant this year but overall it is. I also learned that a few years ago he reffed more important games. The most important thing I learned from this is that Tony Crisp reffed the Cincy-X game this year.

They were bad, but it went both ways so I thought it was a wash. Bonnies messed up the game for themselves by getting those techs.

I thought Chaifetz was silent until those buffoons decided to start getting technicals.

Agreed, the technicals were the turning point of the game. The first one swung the tide and the second one pushed em over the edge.

I also agree with your opinion of the crowd. Pathetic. Both alums and students. What better is there to do on a Wednesday night @ 7 in midtown St. Louis than go to a basketball game on campus. Horrible student turnout. Not to mention the 80-something year old's who tap my back to sit down during player intros. Absolutely ridiculous.

Agreed, the technicals were the turning point of the game. The first one swung the tide and the second one pushed em over the edge.

I also agree with your opinion of the crowd. Pathetic. Both alums and students. What better is there to do on a Wednesday night @ 7 in midtown St. Louis than go to a basketball game on campus. Horrible student turnout. Not to mention the 80-something year old's who tap my back to sit down during player intros. Absolutely ridiculous.

I saw earlier that someone mentioned greek stuff. I think there was mandatory fraternity meetings going on for rush... Stupid it was during the game, but I bet if the frat guys can't go then the sorority girls won't go

That was some of the worst college bb reffing I have EVER seen. Mostly the tall ref. I thought maybe he was getting paid by the tweet. I thought we'd be there all night and foul everyone out!

Reminds me, does anyone know what the call was (or reason) when two of the refs decided to look at the monitor. It was first half, we pulled down a defensive rebound, our guy appeared to have been fouled which caused him to walk. Whistle blows by thin ref, who immediately goes to the TV with the tall ref. Neither makes a call one way or the other. They spend a couple minutes looking, then just give us the ball under the Bonnies basket and the game goes on. And I don't think it's asking too much to let the paying customers know what the call was. They made a point of telling the coaches, and whatever they called (as I said, we got the ball), Majerus didn't appear happy. I assume no foul, since none was announced.

Sorry to be so long-winded. Anyone?

That was some of the worst college bb reffing I have EVER seen. Mostly the tall ref. I thought maybe he was getting paid by the tweet. I thought we'd be there all night and foul everyone out!

Reminds me, does anyone know what the call was (or reason) when two of the refs decided to look at the monitor. It was first half, we pulled down a defensive rebound, our guy appeared to have been fouled which caused him to walk. Whistle blows by thin ref, who immediately goes to the TV with the tall ref. Neither makes a call one way or the other. They spend a couple minutes looking, then just give us the ball under the Bonnies basket and the game goes on. And I don't think it's asking too much to let the paying customers know what the call was. They made a point of telling the coaches, and whatever they called (as I said, we got the ball), Majerus didn't appear happy. I assume no foul, since none was announced.

Sorry to be so long-winded. Anyone?

This is when Jordair had the ball and moved about 5 feet laterally without dribbling. From my view, this was caused by multiple Bonnies going after the ball and fouling the ###### out of him while they reached in for it (he had the ball and position). The whistle blew...and no signal. So they convened.

The only reasons I could think of off the top of my head for going to the monitor:

-Shot clock issue (it reset after the shot, but it couldn't have been this because the Bonnies made the FG attempt and Jordair secured the rebound; the shot clock was correct).

-Other clock issue (I never saw the game clock freeze or anything).

-Foot on the 3-point line (irrelevant).

-Elbow thrown (I never saw any evidence of it, but I thought it was clear St. Bona fouled on the play. The ball was whistled dead, with our inbound from our defensive end- no foul).

My guess: inadvertent whistle. If he blew the whistle because of the 'elbow' rule, there must have been a foul or something, right? If they weren't going to call the foul, then they would have called traveling on Jett, or at the very least a jump ball. There was no evidence of any of these. Baffling.

This is when Jordair had the ball and moved about 5 feet laterally without dribbling. From my view, this was caused by multiple Bonnies going after the ball and fouling the ###### out of him while they reached in for it (he had the ball and position). The whistle blew...and no signal. So they convened.

The only reasons I could think of off the top of my head for going to the monitor:

-Shot clock issue (it reset after the shot, but it couldn't have been this because the Bonnies made the FG attempt and Jordair secured the rebound; the shot clock was correct).

-Other clock issue (I never saw the game clock freeze or anything).

-Foot on the 3-point line (irrelevant).

-Elbow thrown (I never saw any evidence of it, but I thought it was clear St. Bona fouled on the play. The ball was whistled dead, with our inbound from our defensive end- no foul).

My guess: inadvertent whistle. If he blew the whistle because of the 'elbow' rule, there must have been a foul or something, right? If they weren't going to call the foul, then they would have called traveling on Jett, or at the very least a jump ball. There was no evidence of any of these. Baffling.

Thanks Pistol. Glad it wasn't just me. Baffling is the word. I thought it was either a foul (and it should clearly have been) or traveling. The ref went so fast to the monitor it was almost like he had a brain cramp and forgot what to call. When they didn't announce a foul yet gave us the ball, I didn't know what to think.