Majerus on 101.1 ESPN

Was just in the Fastlane for about 10 minutes.

With regards to the LM game:

- Says he should have rested KC & BC more, said KC was playing extremely well prior to LM.

- Says JB did a great job when he went in, but he wasn't quite ready to use JM at that point.

In general:

- Says KM has to get rid of some of his immaturity (quick shots, poor decisions)

- Conklin's improvement - he's slowed his game down a bit, spent a lot of time in the gym this summer, 'dramatically' improved his foul shooting, playing with confidence

- For Portland - get back to taking care of the ball, stay down/grounded on opponent's shot fakes

- Re: getting more fan support - We have true student-athletes, seniors who have already graduated ###### laude, working on their masters, great kids who share the ball, why wouldn't you want to come out and support them?

- Rammers favorite spots to eat near Chaifetz: Hump's, Fieldhouse, Triump, & of course Pappy's.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Was just in the Fastlane for about 10 minutes.

With regards to the LM game:

- Says he should have rested KC & BC more, said KC was playing extremely well prior to LM.

- Says JB did a great job when he went in, but he wasn't quite ready to use JM at that point.

Thanks for the rundown. RM obviously knows better, but I wasn't all that impressed with Cassity during the whole trip. Thought he got burned a lot- as in Cody Ellis 2010 proportions- on defense. He's not a bad off-the-ball defender, but one-on-one he's been getting smoked. I didn't see the LMU game so I can't comment on that one.

glad to hear that rickma talking to rammer now. yesterday he talked to slaten. looks like he's finally trying to be more media friendly.

Thanks for the rundown. RM obviously knows better, but I wasn't all that impressed with Cassity during the whole trip. Thought he got burned a lot- as in Cody Ellis 2010 proportions- on defense. He's not a bad off-the-ball defender, but one-on-one he's been getting smoked. I didn't see the LMU game so I can't comment on that one.

You think obviously Majerus knows better? I don't understand the hate 80% of this board has had for Cassity for 4 years now.

You think obviously Majerus knows better? I don't understand the hate 80% of this board has had for Cassity for 4 years now.

i agree. But KC was indeed horrible in the LMU game. I thought he played well in the other games. Sorry Pistol. I would have played Jake more. It was obvious that KC had nothing

glad to hear that rickma talking to rammer now. yesterday he talked to slaten. looks like he's finally trying to be more media friendly.

You may not have been listening last year, but I was most impressed with all of the radio interviews Majerus did last season. During a rough season, I heard him on more different radio shows than I have ever heard any Billikens coach, including Spoon. The message to the fans was consistently that this season is rough, but stick with it and things will get better. He also actively made the rounds prior to the start of this season. I have never bought this idea that he is not media friendly. I'm glad he doesn't do the postgame show. On the few times he has done it, he's so wound up that he's not very good in that setting. I would like to see him do a weekly radio show, but I can live with it because he has always made the rounds on the radio and done it wth a variety of different stations and hosts. He consistently praises the fans, band, Slu-ettes and has praised the value of a SLU education more than I have heard from any SLU coach. He brings it up in almost every interview, including the one today.

Whoa, slow down, panther (Cassity's HS, perhaps?). I was just surprised to see that Majerus singled out Cassity as having played well in the 76 Classic. I thought he was solid but in the middle of the pack on SLU in terms of performance, and that he looked overmatched frequently on defense. I guess he was only singled out by Majerus as having been good in previous games because he was so bad in the LMU game- which, again, I didn't see so I can't say.

That's all. No hate, especially not four years worth of hate. He does a lot of things really well and has had some very nice games (such as the one at Carbondale).

Not all criticism is hate.

You are right, not all criticism is hate. Long time reader of board, first time poster. Seems like Cassity gets the short end of the stick by many fans of the Billikens on here. I think his off the ball defense is one of the best on the team. I definatly wouldn't say he is getting beat like Ellis in 2010.

You may not have been listening last year, but I was most impressed with all of the radio interviews Majerus did last season. During a rough season, I heard him on more different radio shows than I have ever heard any Billikens coach, including Spoon. The message to the fans was consistently that this season is rough, but stick with it and things will get better. He also actively made the rounds prior to the start of this season. I have never bought this idea that he is not media friendly. I'm glad he doesn't do the postgame show. On the few times he has done it, he's so wound up that he's not very good in that setting. I would like to see him do a weekly radio show, but I can live with it because he has always made the rounds on the radio and done it wth a variety of different stations and hosts. He consistently praises the fans, band, Slu-ettes and has praised the value of a SLU education more than I have heard from any SLU coach. He brings it up in almost every interview, including the one today.

that's odd considering he is the only coach that has approached academic probation with the ncaa. with the recent tightening of standards, we had better improve or we may soon be losing scholarships and facing post season ban in future seasons.

that's odd considering he is the only coach that has approached academic probation with the ncaa. with the recent tightening of standards, we had better improve or we may soon be losing scholarships and facing post season ban in future seasons.

I actually agree with Ace on this one, Roy. He takes academics very seriously. Isn't it the transfers that killed the APR for SLU? It isn't the GPA; this team should be very good in comparison to other NCAA basketball programs in terms of academics.

i agree. But KC was indeed horrible in the LMU game. I thought he played well in the other games. Sorry Pistol. I would have played Jake more. It was obvious that KC had nothing

We have been up against some strange guard play; the B.C. game it was almost as if they were an unorthodox style boxer-we just did not look good against their kids. Besides KC,

KM also has not had a good trip. Guards looked fast and were quite persistent. With the long arms and lack of foul calling at LMU their center reached over and denied Conklin the ball to the point where our guards stopped trying; KC did look slow like maybe the ankle sprain he had to start the season had cropped back up; anyone know if he is playing hurt?

Sigh. Roy was doing so well recently, but he of all people should know the APR has little to do with academics and far more to do with not having transfers and giving gift grades to players. Kansas, for example, has a 1,000 APR yet every year there are 2-3 one and dones on their team. A focus on academics is hardly a problem for Majerus. His lack of focus on the bogus APR measure is a problem.

I actually agree with Ace on this one, Roy. He takes academics very seriously. Isn't it the transfers that killed the APR for SLU? It isn't the GPA; this team should be very good in comparison to other NCAA basketball programs in terms of academics.

Seriously Roy, get a grip.

i know we have a few very fine students. cassity, conklin are role models. apparently evans is on the way to becoming them in the future. but that said, what billiken roster in year's past didnt have excellent students? we won the academic excellence award year after year in the spoon-romar-soderberg years. and for the longest time not graduating seniors was a true exception.

whatever the problem is for the APR issue we are facing we need to fix it and fix it fast. Saint Louis University should not be associated in any way with academic issues.

Seriously Roy, get a grip.

Ace is the one that brought up the untruthful academic point. dont bring it up and i dont say anything. it is what it is.

Ace is the one that brought up the untruthful academic point. dont bring it up and i dont say anything. it is what it is.

"has praised the value of a SLU education more than I have heard from any SLU coach. He brings it up in almost every interview, including the one today."

That's EXACTLY what ACE said. Which part of it is "untruthful", Roy? Don't be ignorant. I'd love to hear you tell me which coaches ACE has heard praise a SLU education more, and if you haven't heard him wax poetic about SLU educations repeatedly during interviews then you havent been listening. Your follow up to what I said is even more unbelievable than what you said first. "Untruthful".

Only Roy can find this kind of thing to complain about since the team over all is playing well. Seriously Roy, why do you follow the Billikens. Pick on some one else.

Broy-

Welcome back. How bout you come over to section 108 and let Backhand explain this situation to you.