Conference shakeups-again but for real?

slu72

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

With the Big East done as a football conference where does that leave Louisville, Cincy, UConn, and KU (who now doesn't have a landing spot)? Those are some high quality basketball programs with no place to park thier football teams.

I don't know if they are necessarily done as a football conference. TCU might still honor their commitment to the BE joining the aforementioned teams. If OK and OK ST consummate their flirtation with the P10, Missouri and Kansas need to make for the exit. They'd love to be in the B10 but that love apparently isn't returned. The BE may be a landing spot for Mizzou and other B12 refugees. The BE can reach down and add teams like Temple. Last I checked Temple was leading Penn State at halftime today. They are a football program on the rise.

Louisville

Cincy

TCU

Mizzou

Kansas

Kansas St.

Temple

That's a viable football conference to build around. Perhaps Missouri goes to the SEC with A&M. It will be interesting to see how it shakes out.

Rethinking... I like this much better. More importantly I think the schools would too....

Butler University - West

Dayton University - West

DePaul University - West

Marquette University - West

St Louis University - West

Xavier University - West

Georgetown University - East

Providence College - East

St. John's University - East

Seton Hall University - East

Villanova University - East

Saint Joseph's University - East

-----

You'd have true home-and-homes, in-division, and 3 road and 3 away (yearly rotation) out-of-division.

It is clean. It makes sense for the non-revenue sports. And, most importantly it is as "high major" as the non-football schools are going to be able to accomplish.

Love this.

All of this conference realignment makes this season even more important for SLU. It would help to be viewed as a quality/on-the-rise program from the outsiders perspective, a school others would be proud to compete with year in & year out.

Though looking at this list of schools I think it's safe to say SLU would go in as the least regarded (sans DePaul, but Chicago > St. Louis) among the others...

If this "Basketball Only" conference were to form, SLU CANNOT miss out, or fear being relegated to the Missouri Valley, or worse. We must be appealing.

Rethinking... I like this much better. More importantly I think the schools would too....

Butler University - West

Dayton University - West

DePaul University - West

Marquette University - West

St Louis University - West

Xavier University - West

Georgetown University - East

Providence College - East

St. John's University - East

Seton Hall University - East

Villanova University - East

Saint Joseph's University - East

-----

You'd have true home-and-homes, in-division, and 3 road and 3 away (yearly rotation) out-of-division.

It is clean. It makes sense for the non-revenue sports. And, most importantly it is as "high major" as the non-football schools are going to be able to accomplish.

This all banks on an all basketball conference. This is very interesting but there are so many other schools to consider as there is soon to be so much movement with the schools in the Big 12 etc.

Could there be a Big 12 leftovers mix up in the MVC?

Is there anyone else that could pose as serious competition for us in that position? I can only think of Drake, but I think we would have the edge over them?

Where are the football schools besides Pitt and Syracuse going if it becomes a basketball only conference?

Add this one to the WTF is up list. ESPN reported this morning TX has made a pitch to join the ACC. Also, the ACC says they want to go to 16 teams after they add Pitt and Syr. If this TX news is for real, I can see them picking up CT. You could then see the Big 10 picking up WVU, Rutgers, possibly MO, and KU. UL and UC have to be worried. UC won't get in the Big 10 because OSU won't have them. UL will face the same problem w/ KY in the SEC. It may be in the Big 12's interest to start wooing them as it's pretty much guaranteed they're gonna be down to 6 teams or less in the very near future. Might want to add TCU to that list as well. If every conference is going to go to 16 teams it will be musical chairs and there's gonna be some BCS FB schools left standing outside the circle. The losers will come from the Beast and the B12. As for SLU, it's time to start talking to someone, don't know who, about their future conference possibilities. At least get with Dayton and X to make a pitch to the hoops only Beasters.

it's official. Pitt and the Orange ACCepted. see what i did there?

still waiting on the official confirmation from other sources...

http://brett-mcmurphy.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/29532522/32058442

Add this one to the WTF is up list. ESPN reported this morning TX has made a pitch to join the ACC. Also, the ACC says they want to go to 16 teams after they add Pitt and Syr. If this TX news is for real, I can see them picking up CT. You could then see the Big 10 picking up WVU, Rutgers, possibly MO, and KU. UL and UC have to be worried. UC won't get in the Big 10 because OSU won't have them. UL will face the same problem w/ KY in the SEC. It may be in the Big 12's interest to start wooing them as it's pretty much guaranteed they're gonna be down to 6 teams or less in the very near future. Might want to add TCU to that list as well. If every conference is going to go to 16 teams it will be musical chairs and there's gonna be some BCS FB schools left standing outside the circle. The losers will come from the Beast and the B12. As for SLU, it's time to start talking to someone, don't know who, about their future conference possibilities. At least get with Dayton and X to make a pitch to the hoops only Beasters.

This is all coming apart like wet bread - next week will be much more illuminating regarding what is happening elsewhere. SLU actually can be viewed to be in a good spot - I do agree with you that we have to be proactive then reactive - but my point is that there will be fewer not more BCS football teams so schools like Temple and Nova who might have considered moving up will be left out. We could end up in a league that is a combination of the A10 and BE or even the Horizon. We could also end up in the A10 as it is with perhaps an addition of 2 more teams - neither would be a bad thing. I guess there are some other combinations but all in all we may very well not be any worse off then we are or perhaps even better off - an expanded A10 would not be a bad thing.

Just passing along what I heard on the radio, but Texas is not so interested in the PAC 10 because they would lose both power/control over the conference (like they have now)and would also have to share some of their $100 million TV package with the other schools. Also, of course, there are the fans' arguments about time zones, travel and lack of natural rivals. Apparently, Texas is also not so interested in the SEC b/c they don't believe they can dominate it like they have the Big 12. Not sure about the Big 10 but believe the Big 10 controls all and then revenue shares. The only conference left, of course, is the ACC. Presume Texas could keep their TV money there. Am I correct?

Just passing along what I heard on the radio, but Texas is not so interested in the PAC 10 because they would lose both power/control over the conference (like they have now)and would also have to share some of their $100 million TV package with the other schools. Also, of course, there are the fans' arguments about time zones, travel and lack of natural rivals. Apparently, Texas is also not so interested in the SEC b/c they don't believe they can dominate it like they have the Big 12. Not sure about the Big 10 but believe the Big 10 controls all and then revenue shares. The only conference left, of course, is the ACC. Presume Texas could keep their TV money there. Am I correct?

Teaxas' attraction to the ACC is most certainly the potential for them to keep the Longhorn Network.

Seems like the 4 Superconferences of 16 each is almost a done deal at this point as by this time next week 2 conferences will be at 14 and the SEC will be at 13. The final dominos will fall once Texas and ND decide if they want to go independent or if they come to believe this is the precurser to a true football playoff and being an independent won't work in that scenario.

Lots of schools are naturally nervous at this point but Louisville, Cinci, Iowa St, Rutgers, Baylor, etc. are in the most danger. Hard to imagine the Big 10 or SEC wanting any of those teams. the game of musical chairs is just about up and these are the programs in most danger of not having a seat at the table.

As far as SLU goes, there are still too many dominos to fall before real clarity is possible. Do the left-over football Big East schools join together with the leftover Big 12 schools to salvage some sort of football conference? Do they keep the BE basketball only schools or do they jump to the Big 12 and pray they keep a BCS affiliation? The best thing that could happen for us is a true split of the Big East basketball only schools but there is no guarantee it happens. I still contend the absolute worst thing that happens to us is we end up in the Valley and while thats not a good outcome its not the end of the world.

If we join the Big East we will pass Marquette in USNWR in 4 years. :lol:

It's hard to think of basketball powerhouses like Marquette, Georgetown, St. John's even consider playing in a conference with SLU. Biondi is going to have to roll out some bribes and open up the Italian vacation home for a lot of "friends" in the near future.

Another possibility is for the football schools which get shut out of the BCS/16 team conferences to pull a Notre Dame and keep their Big East going for everything but football and then have a separate football affilitation conference just for football. UD does this for football. Same with Villanova...

Teaxas' attraction to the ACC is most certainly the potential for them to keep the Longhorn Network.

Seems like the 4 Superconferences of 16 each is almost a done deal at this point as by this time next week 2 conferences will be at 14 and the SEC will be at 13. The final dominos will fall once Texas and ND decide if they want to go independent or if they come to believe this is the precurser to a true football playoff and being an independent won't work in that scenario.

Lots of schools are naturally nervous at this point but Louisville, Cinci, Iowa St, Rutgers, Baylor, etc. are in the most danger. Hard to imagine the Big 10 or SEC wanting any of those teams. the game of musical chairs is just about up and these are the programs in most danger of not having a seat at the table.

As far as SLU goes, there are still too many dominos to fall before real clarity is possible. Do the left-over football Big East schools join together with the leftover Big 12 schools to salvage some sort of football conference? Do they keep the BE basketball only schools or do they jump to the Big 12 and pray they keep a BCS affiliation? The best thing that could happen for us is a true split of the Big East basketball only schools but there is no guarantee it happens. I still contend the absolute worst thing that happens to us is we end up in the Valley and while thats not a good outcome its not the end of the world.

I am sorry, why do you think the A10 will disband? - if they don't then why would we have to find any new conference? I could see the football schools in the BE joining with the remainder of Big 12 schools and the 8 bb only forming to 12 team bb only conf or 3 10 bb only conf with cherry picking some other schools from other lower confs such as Creighton and Butler for example.

I am sorry, why do you think the A10 will disband? - if they don't then why would we have to find any new conference? I could see the football schools in the BE joining with the remainder of Big 12 schools and the 8 bb only forming to 12 team bb only conf or 3 10 bb only conf with cherry picking some other schools from other lower confs such as Creighton and Butler for example.

I didn't say the A-10 would disband. But what happens if the 8 Big East basketball only schools invite 4 schools to their conference and they are Xavier, Dayton, UMass and Butler. You still want to be in the A-10?

Are we missing a move by Missouri State. They have played football against BCS schools this year. They would be a fit for the Big 12.(if it is still around) If not then one of the western conf. There basketball would also be a fit.

MSU is not a FBS school (i.e. D1). They are taking a huge pay-day to be slaughtered by these schools but they are not in a position to move.

I didn't say the A-10 would disband. But what happens if the 8 Big East basketball only schools invite 4 schools to their conference and they are Xavier, Dayton, UMass and Butler. You still want to be in the A-10?

This is an interesting point. When you take those 3 programs out of the A-10, in particular removing Dayton and Xavier, SLU is even more out of the A-10's geographical area and the conference's quality is way down. This might push us into the MVC. Let's hope we get lucky and beat out UMass into the BE due to the creation of a western division of the BE as proposed previously on this thread.

Posted Image

If the basketball only schools break on their own I don't see them inviting a state school which is thinking about moving up to FBS like UMass to to join them.

If the basketball only schools break on their own I don't see them inviting a state school which is thinking about moving up to FBS like UMass to to join them.

They were just an example. Maybe they only expand to 10 teams and take Dayton and Xavier. Maybe they want Duquesne instead of UMass. who knows.

The reality is that if Xavier and Dayton leave the A-10 and we don't get the same invite they do, our best option after that may very well be the MVC.