Conference shakeups-again but for real?

slu72

Come on BK. The schools in the A-10 want nothing to do with CUSA. Its a worse basketball league, why join with a worse basketball league that is focused on football?

I don't know if it has to do with TV contracts, but I think it is apparent that the moves being made are based on the notion that bigger is better. Also, a lot of A-10 schools starting football programs may be attracted to C-USA for football while still maintaining a number of good basketball programs from the A-10. I am not saying it is our best bet, I am just saying it is a potential outcome if the Big East takes a handful of schools from C-USA, it may look to the A-10 for a merger to compensate for its losses.

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Re UMass, UMass is going to FBS D-1 football, planning to play football in the MAC with Temple. Note that UConn made its jump to FBS football not that long ago, and experienced good early success, played (albeit got clobbered by) OU in the Fiesta Bowl last season, also beat ND in South Bend.

Keep in mind that UConn made the jump directly to a BCS football league and its associated TV exposure and revenues. UConn also had very successful men's and women's basketball programs that had won national championships and the school was very much supported throughout the state (there are no pro sports in CT and it is between the Boston and NY markets not belonging in total to either). The state of CT got behind the football move and built them a stadium to make it happen.

UMass is joining the MAC. It will play Bowling Green, Eastern Mich, Central Mich, Akron, etc...The school is not well supported in the state from a financial standpoint or resident/fan support. It intends to play its MAC games at the 68,000 seat Gillette Stadium (home of the NE Patriots) some two hours from its campus. Its road will be much more difficult than UConn.

I don't know if it has to do with TV contracts, but I think it is apparent that the moves being made are based on the notion that bigger is better. Also, a lot of A-10 schools starting football programs may be attracted to C-USA for football while still maintaining a number of good basketball programs from the A-10. I am not saying it is our best bet, I am just saying it is a potential outcome if the Big East takes a handful of schools from C-USA, it may look to the A-10 for a merger to compensate for its losses.

These moves are being made because the BCS wants to consolidate the top football schools in 4 superconferences. At this point, I just don't see the Big East being able to even field a football conference anymore as all the football schools currently left will scramble to get into one of the Top 4. Even if they were able to poach some schools from CUSA and the leftovers from the Big 12 that can't find a home (Baylor and ISU), they still won't retain their BCS designation. So, why even try to go that route? Best to just salvage a basketball-only conference from the remains.

As for CUSA, the only schools I see them adding are any of the BCS rejects that can't find a home. They are never going to be considered an elite football conference, even if they do go to 16 teams. There is no need for schools with established basketball programs, yet only FCS, MAC or no football programs, to move their way right now.

Reading all, my hope of this morning has given way to reality this afternoon.

Marquette supporters are in full panic mode thinking Georgetown and Villanova are ACC bound as non-football schools.

As expected, Rick Pitino advocates saving the Big East, as in with the football schools in it.

OU and Texas Presidents are authorized re conference dealings.

Mizzou could wind up parked for a while in the Big East, of all places, where Mizzou does not want to be. SLU wants to be in the Big East and can't get there yet. How ironic is that?

This being said, SLU must be positioned to move quickly and be ready when the dominos start falling in earnest.

These moves are being made because the BCS wants to consolidate the top football schools in 4 superconferences. At this point, I just don't see the Big East being able to even field a football conference anymore as all the football schools currently left will scramble to get into one of the Top 4. Even if they were able to poach some schools from CUSA and the leftovers from the Big 12 that can't find a home (Baylor and ISU), they still won't retain their BCS designation. So, why even try to go that route? Best to just salvage a basketball-only conference from the remains.

As for CUSA, the only schools I see them adding are any of the BCS rejects that can't find a home. They are never going to be considered an elite football conference, even if they do go to 16 teams. There is no need for schools with established basketball programs, yet only FCS, MAC or no football programs, to move their way right now.

The Big East is like a cat with nine lives. Every time it looks dead, somehow it reinvents itself and survives. Who would have ever thought that Louisville would be in a position to save the football side of the Big East Conference? That's what Rick Pitino is advocating on his blog, namely putting the Louisville AD in charge of football school recruiting. Pitino's first suggested target is Memphis. Expect Central Florida to be another target.

We've seen this scenario before- the ACC raids the Big East, and the Big East responds by raiding C-USA. And this time the expected merger of the remnants of the Big East and Big XII keeps one or the other.

If one of these scenarios occurs to keep the Big East operating a football league, the same thing we saw this past weekend is going to play itself out again somewhere down the road.

Marquette AD said that Catholic school teleconference had no (serious) talks of a Catholic conference.

President (Pilarz) said he didn't want Marquette to limit itself along sectarian lines when it comes to intercollegiate athletics.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/130133068.html

A merger with the Big 12 seems to be WAY more likely. It may provide a way for the schools to avoid exit fees.

http://www.ajc.com/sports/ap-source-big-east-1184345.html

This being said, SLU must be positioned to move quickly and be ready when the dominos start falling in earnest.

You are a solid, knowledgeable poster, Bay Area, but if you think SLU "will be positioned to move quickly and be ready when the dominos start falling", you believe there will be a Richard Simmons, Jr.

I hope we get some benefit, a better situation, but I say, history repeats itself. I hope, but have no confidence.

You are a solid, knowledgeable poster, Bay Area, but if you think SLU "will be positioned to move quickly and be ready when the dominos start falling", you believe there will be a Richard Simmons, Jr.

I hope we get some benefit, a better situation, but I say, history repeats itself. I hope, but have no confidence.

Maybe we can change history, when it really counts.

We've been through this so many times. Really, when it comes to the Billikens, I feel like we are Cub fans (and I am a lifelong Cardinal fan). It's like an addiction. Hope springs eternal.

I go all the way back to my pre-SLU days of my teens when SLU actually was a driver of the truck, rather than a rider, when SLU and others left the MVC to form the Metro. The first Metro Commissioner was the former SLU AD.

Then came the MCC, then the Great Midwest, then C-USA, and now the A-10.

I thought we had found Nirvana in the Great Midwest, which was spearheaded by DePaul, but forces beyond SLU's control resulted in C-USA. Then came this A-10, and since SLU entered it, I've felt SLU was parked there until the Big East schism. It looks like SLU is going to have to pay for some more parking as the Big East goes through another of its 9 lives.

Maybe we can change history, when it really counts.

We've been through this so many times. Really, when it comes to the Billikens, I feel like we are Cub fans (and I am a lifelong Cardinal fan). It's like an addiction. Hope springs eternal.

I go all the way back to my pre-SLU days of my teens when SLU actually was a driver of the truck, rather than a rider, when SLU and others left the MVC to form the Metro. The first Metro Commissioner was the former SLU AD.

Then came the MCC, then the Great Midwest, then C-USA, and now the A-10.

I thought we had found Nirvana in the Great Midwest, which was spearheaded by DePaul, but forces beyond SLU's control resulted in C-USA. Then came this A-10, and since SLU entered it, I've felt SLU was parked there until the Big East schism. It looks like SLU is going to have to pay for some more parking as the Big East goes through another of its 9 lives.

What in the world have you read today that has turned you so negative about the possibility of the Big East imploding. The presidents are all lying through their teeth when they talk about solidarity and sticking together. They are all rats looking to jump ship right now.

As far as any Big East / Big 12 merger its largely a pipe dream for all the left behinds. But even if it happens, it seems more likely that the Big East football schools go to the Big 12 which has a long term guaranteed t.v. contract than it is the Big 12 schools join a disjointed and far too large Big East conference with no guaranteed t.v. contracts.

The movements are happening fast but they aren't all going to literaly happen overnight. the Big East apocolypse is still coming.

What in the world have you read today that has turned you so negative about the possibility of the Big East imploding. The presidents are all lying through their teeth when they talk about solidarity and sticking together. They are all rats looking to jump ship right now.

As far as any Big East / Big 12 merger its largely a pipe dream for all the left behinds. But even if it happens, it seems more likely that the Big East football schools go to the Big 12 which has a long term guaranteed t.v. contract than it is the Big 12 schools join a disjointed and far too large Big East conference with no guaranteed t.v. contracts.

The movements are happening fast but they aren't all going to literaly happen overnight. the Big East apocolypse is still coming.

You could well be right, and I hope you are. It's just going to take longer than I thought when I read this morning that the Catholic Big East AD's were having that conference call and that a basketball conference was being discussed. To answer your question, I've since read Marquette boards, the Gary Parrish CBSSports.com piece, and the Rick Pitino blog.

The Catholic Big East has to say this now, and can't leave the league themselves. Pitino wants Louisville to stay in the Big East, and that does concern me because I think he has some influence.

You could well be right, and I hope you are. It's just going to take longer than I thought when I read this morning that the Catholic Big East AD's were having that conference call and that a basketball conference was being discussed. To answer your question, I've since read Marquette boards, the Gary Parrish CBSSports.com piece, and the Rick Pitino blog.

The Catholic Big East has to say this now, and can't leave the league themselves. Pitino wants Louisville to stay in the Big East, and that does concern me because I think he has some influence.

Basketball, much less one basketball coach, has little to no influence on all of this.

ESPN this morning said the possibility of ND to the ACC.

Bottom line for SLU on all this speculation is nothing, unless the 7 or 8 BB only schools suddenly find themselves alone in the Beast. They're not saying anything about an all hoops conference until the dust settles because no one's inviting them to join since it's all about FB. And of course Pitino wants to keep a hybrid Beast alive otherwise he may find himself coaching in CUSA or the MWC. That's too small a stage for slick Rick. Who doesn't think that if the ACC or Big 10 called the UL AD and said come and join us, Rick wouldn't even know how to spell merger.

Bottom line for SLU on all this speculation is nothing, unless the 7 or 8 BB only schools suddenly find themselves alone in the Beast. They're not saying anything about an all hoops conference until the dust settles because no one's inviting them to join since it's all about FB. And of course Pitino wants to keep a hybrid Beast alive otherwise he may find himself coaching in CUSA or the MWC. That's too small a stage for slick Rick. Who doesn't think that if the ACC or Big 10 called the UL AD and said come and join us, Rick wouldn't even know how to spell merger.

Here is the latest from ESPN

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/6993604/big-east-big-12-talking-possible-merger-sources-say

Key take away is this:

"The sources said that if Texas, Oklahoma, Texas Tech and Oklahoma State were to leave the Big 12 and the five remaining schools do not have an opportunity to join the ACC, SEC or Big Ten, the Big 12 would move to absorb remaining Big East schools -- not the other way around.

One Big 12 source said the reason it would absorb the Big East is the conference's ability to secure a television deal, currently with Fox, and three more years with ESPN/ABC -- although a new configuration could open it up to a new arrangement."

ESPN this morning said the possibility of ND to the ACC.

They flirted with this notion back in 2003 when now-Duke AD Kevin White was running the show in South Bend.

Having K-White in the ACC fold now will help them if Jack Swarbrick and John Swofford decide to break bread; also, there are rumors about Penn State possibly entering the fray, which would make the ACC not only a basketball super-power, but from a football perspective, imagine having Miami, FSU, ND and PSU in the same conference? Wow.

Here is the latest from ESPN

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/6993604/big-east-big-12-talking-possible-merger-sources-say

Key take away is this:

"The sources said that if Texas, Oklahoma, Texas Tech and Oklahoma State were to leave the Big 12 and the five remaining schools do not have an opportunity to join the ACC, SEC or Big Ten, the Big 12 would move to absorb remaining Big East schools -- not the other way around.

One Big 12 source said the reason it would absorb the Big East is the conference's ability to secure a television deal, currently with Fox, and three more years with ESPN/ABC -- although a new configuration could open it up to a new arrangement."

I don't see how the BE survives as a football conference if the rumors are half true. A B12 / BE merger looks OK for the west division but the east ain't so hot for football. A nice bball conference though.

West East

--------------- ------------------

Mizzou Cincy

TCU Louisville

Kansas Temple

Kansas S Memphis

Iowa S ???

Baylor ???

Mizzou has to look hard at joining A&M in the SEC if the offer comes.