Conference shakeups-again but for real?

slu72

Here is the latest:

The athletic directors of St. John's, Georgetown, Seton Hall, Villanova, Providence, DePaul, Marquette and Notre Dame have scheduled a teleconference Monday to discuss the league's ever-changing status.

http://www.nydailyne..._eye_split.html

Will be interesting to see what they have to say.

This will be very interesting indeed. If ND is part of it maybe they're still thinking independence in FB and are not scared they'll be cut out from any future plans by the expected 4 power conferences to exclude them from the major Bowl games. So that would make 8 hoops only teams left in the Beast. It's almost a forgone conclusion that the ACC will invite UConn and Rutgers. In the Newark Star Ledger there was an article that said the ACC had 3 options: 1. Add TX and OU. 2.) Add Tx and Tx Tech 3.) Add UConn and Rutgers. Options 1 and 2 appear dead as the Pac 12 will take those combos. Sooo, if UConn and Rutgers depart, then the only hope for them is their remaining FB schools and the Big 12's get together and form an Alliance. This would be MO, KU, KSU, ISU, Baylor, WVU, UL, UC, TCU, USFLorida. That's 10 teams in FB, + 8 in hoops= 18 teams. That could happen, and if you'll recall Nova may be trying to go big time football. I can also see them pulling in Temple and, say, a team like UCF, or maybe even ND goes w/ them in FB to make a 12 team FB league + the 8 hoops only for a 20 team conference. Problem would be how long would a Mo, KU, KSU, or an ND stick with this if the SEC or Big 10 comes a calling? Then it starts all over again and the Beast/Big 12 is kaput once again. I don't think these schools today will come out and announce anything startling w/ regards to starting or reforming into a new hoops only conference. But if they do intimate they will go after other BB only schools to form a CYO league, we'd better do our damndest to make the final cut. Otherwise SLU's going to be viewed as a lightweight Catholic University.

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is the latest:

The athletic directors of St. John's, Georgetown, Seton Hall, Villanova, Providence, DePaul, Marquette and Notre Dame have scheduled a teleconference Monday to discuss the league's ever-changing status.

http://www.nydailyne..._eye_split.html

Will be interesting to see what they have to say.

This will be very interesting indeed. If ND is part of it maybe they're still thinking independence in FB and are not scared they'll be cut out from any future plans by the expected 4 power conferences to exclude them from the major Bowl games. So that would make 8 hoops only teams left in the Beast. It's almost a forgone conclusion that the ACC will invite UConn and Rutgers. In the Newark Star Ledger there was an article that said the ACC had 3 options: 1. Add TX and OU. 2.) Add Tx and Tx Tech 3.) Add UConn and Rutgers. Options 1 and 2 appear dead as the Pac 12 will take those combos. Sooo, if UConn and Rutgers depart, then the only hope for them is their remaining FB schools and the Big 12's get together and form an Alliance. This would be MO, KU, KSU, ISU, Baylor, WVU, UL, UC, TCU, USFLorida. That's 10 teams in FB, + 8 in hoops= 18 teams. That could happen, and if you'll recall Nova may be trying to go big time football. I can also see them pulling in Temple and, say, a team like UCF, or maybe even ND goes w/ them in FB to make a 12 team FB league + the 8 hoops only for a 20 team conference. Problem would be how long would a Mo, KU, KSU, or an ND stick with this if the SEC or Big 10 comes a calling? Then it starts all over again and the Beast/Big 12 is kaput once again. I don't think these schools today will come out and announce anything startling w/ regards to starting or reforming into a new hoops only conference. But if they do intimate they will go after other BB only schools to form a CYO league, we'd better do our damndest to make the final cut. Otherwise SLU's going to be viewed as a lightweight Catholic University.

-responding to the article...how can a school pay an exit fee to a conf that no longer exists?

-SOMEWHERE, SOMEONE PLEASE be looking out for SLU so we get in this mix!!!!

If the 8 Catholic schools stay intact and keep the Big East, as opposed to starting a different league, then it would seem the exit fees would still be payable.

What we need to happen is for West Virginia (SEC or lesser chance, ACC), UConn (ACC or Big Ten), and Rutgers (Big Ten or ACC) to bolt. Then it would seem clear that the Big East schism would happen in some fashion. UConn is a charter member of the Big East and is big in NYC, meaning it is big in MSG and the Big East Tournament. I'm told that Rutgers, a traditional doormat in football and basketball, nevertheless has a big sports following in NYC.

I really don't see how the current Big East can survive with this football member lineup: UConn, West Virginia, Rutgers, TCU, Louisville, Cincinnati, South Florida. Some are saying to expand with Memphis. Others say Central Florida, but South Florida blocks there.

First will be what happens to the Big XII, and that is very fluid. There is belief that Oklahoma, Ok. State, Texas, and Texas Tech are headed to a "pod" in a 16 team Pac-16. Whatever OU does is going to set off the dominos, that is if OU in fact bolts from the Big XII.

Mizzou supporters should be aware that a Tweet today from LandThieves (an OU blog, you've got to like that name), retweeting from wilnerhotline, which is a San Jose Mercury News writer/blogger, says:

"Texas swallow some pride or go Indy (meaning Independent) RT @wilnerhotline Source: Pac-12 has Missouri on its radar".

Now, wouldn't that be something? The Pac-12 office is about 5 miles or so up the 680 freeway in Walnut Creek. Should I go up there and lobby? However, once they determined I was an alumnus of "a religious based school," I probably wouldn't get past the receptionist.

But how about shipping Mizzou off two time zones away? I, for one, would like to see Mizzou appearances in Berkeley and Palo Alto. I've wondered what it will be like to have Ralphie rumbling in Berkeley, and now we are close to having Bevo in the visitors' corner and the Sooner Schooner running at Memorial Stadium. I would have never imagined that Big Mo could be pulled through Strawberry Canyon too.

Richard Justice, the respected writer from the Houston Chronicle, tweeted yesterday about he and another guy reading poetry in Berkeley. Can you imagine this political and social contrast- Texas and Oklahoma from the reddest of red states joining with the UC's, Oregon (from out of the forest), and UW, all from the blue state Left Coast?

I think if the Pac-12 had its choice, it would take OU, Texas, Mizzou, and Kansas, rather than the two appendages (Ok. State and Texas Tech).

I'm hoping the Big East falls apart and Notre Dame joins the BIG. I think that gives us the best chance of this conference forming.

Dayton

DePaul

Georgetown

Marquette

Providence

St. John's

Saint Louis

Seton Hall

Villanova

Xavier

I like IndyDawg's proposal better. It makes more sense as SLU isn't going to get an invite before Butler.

Rethinking... I like this much better. More importantly I think the schools would too....

Butler University - West

Dayton University - West

DePaul University - West

Marquette University - West

St Louis University - West

Xavier University - West

Georgetown University - East

Providence College - East

St. John's University - East

Seton Hall University - East

Villanova University - East

Saint Joseph's University - East

-----

You'd have true home-and-homes, in-division, and 3 road and 3 away (yearly rotation) out-of-division.

It is clean. It makes sense for the non-revenue sports. And, most importantly it is as "high major" as the non-football schools are going to be able to accomplish.

I like IndyDawg's proposal better. It makes more sense as SLU isn't going to get an invite before Butler.

See, SLU and we can't think this way.

In a league with the likes of Notre Dame, Georgetown, Villanova, Marquette, et al., SLU should get picked ahead of a Butler, irrespective of what Butler's done lately.

Or else, something is very, very wrong.

SLU should really be near the top of that list, right below Xavier due to basketball alone, and otherwise, at the top of the list of candidates.

See, SLU and we can't think this way.

In a league with the likes of Notre Dame, Georgetown, Villanova, Marquette, et al., SLU should get picked ahead of a Butler, irrespective of what Butler's done lately.

Or else, something is very, very wrong.

SLU should really be near the top of that list, right below Xavier due to basketball alone, and otherwise, at the top of the list of candidates.

I'd forget about Butler and bring in Creighton to keep it all-Catholic. We would have some battles in a conference like that - great rivalries could develop there.

No one ever seems to mention Duquesne in these scenarios. I would miss yelling at Ronnie.

Ronnie despises the Dirtyrican. Kellogg as well...

Ronnie despises the Dirtyrican. Kellogg as well...

Duquesne could be a candidate, keeping the Big East imprint in the Pittsburgh market. But I doubt it and didn't see Duquesne mentioned on the various Big East boards I read. Providence's board did mention SLU.

Villanova and Georgetown were really taking this hard last night. There was even consternation on Marquette and DePaul boards. One poster on the DePaul board advocated DePaul switching to the A-10, but met with rebuttals to that.

Another potential gremlin is UMass if UConn somehow stays in the Big East, which is not expected. Temple is also mentioned, but the expectation is Villanova will block.

Villanova tabled D-1 football, and reading its board, and knowing a Villanova Dad and alumnus, D-1 football may well not happen there. Villanova blocks Temple going Big East.

South Florida (I still have a hard time calling that school USF because to us, USF is in San Francisco) has blocked Central Florida in the past.

What we really need to happen is for West Virginia, UConn (the most important player of all in this conference shuffling), and Rutgers to bolt.

Then if OU, Texas, Ok. State, and Texas Tech form that Pac-16 pod, or even if it is Mizzou and Kansas instead of the two appendages, the remnants of the Big XII would be expected to merge with the football remnants of the Big East to form an out of the Top 64 conference.

I do think Mizzou and Kansas are going to land somewhere among those 64. The other big question is if it will be 64 or 64 + 1, with the one being Notre Dame. If it is 64, then that basically forces ND into either the Big Ten or the ACC.

In all of the conference shuffles to date the only schools that have even vaguely said they want to bring along a partner to the dance are OU with OSU and maybe Texas with Texas Tech. EVERY other school has looked out for itself #1. I am certain whatever happens with the basketball only schools will be much the same.

-i agree, except from what i have read the okie schools seem to be a package deal, my point was i wish we had a guardian angel realizing there are not many out there, maybe none for bball

-i agree, except from what i have read the okie schools seem to be a package deal, my point was i wish we had a guardian angel realizing there are not many out there, maybe none for bball

I don't think SLU has a guardian angel. It certainly didn't the last time.

However, I read on the Marquette board that Notre Dame was instrumental in getting Marquette into the Big East.

At least Marquette is in the Big East now, but it is facing the current situation with a brand new President and an Interim AD.

Villanova tabled D-1 football, and reading its board, and knowing a Villanova Dad and alumnus, D-1 football may well not happen there. Villanova blocks Temple going Big East.

South Florida (I still have a hard time calling that school USF because to us, USF is in San Francisco) has blocked Central Florida in the past.

What we really need to happen is for West Virginia, UConn (the most important player of all in this conference shuffling), and Rutgers to bolt.

Then if OU, Texas, Ok. State, and Texas Tech form that Pac-16 pod, or even if it is Mizzou and Kansas instead of the two appendages, the remnants of the Big XII would be expected to merge with the football remnants of the Big East to form an out of the Top 64 conference.

I do think Mizzou and Kansas are going to land somewhere among those 64. The other big question is if it will be 64 or 64 + 1, with the one being Notre Dame. If it is 64, then that basically forces ND into either the Big Ten or the ACC.

The question that matters most to us is if the Big 12 and Big East football leftovers merge, which conference do they do it in?

A merger in the Big East and the basketball only schools likely stay put and nothing changes. The pro to this would be a really good basketball league, the Big East tourney in NY, etc.

A merger in the Big 12 could happen too as apparently the networks are afraid of terminating the current t.v. contracts with the big 12 for fear of lawsuit. By joining the big 12, the Big East leftovers keep all those t.v. contracts and split up as a conference whenever the contracts end and the money runs out.

In the first scenario we are screwed. In the second scenario we have a chance.

The question that matters most to us is if the Big 12 and Big East football leftovers merge, which conference do they do it in?

A merger in the Big East and the basketball only schools likely stay put and nothing changes. The pro to this would be a really good basketball league, the Big East tourney in NY, etc.

A merger in the Big 12 could happen too as apparently the networks are afraid of terminating the current t.v. contracts with the big 12 for fear of lawsuit. By joining the big 12, the Big East leftovers keep all those t.v. contracts and split up as a conference whenever the contracts end and the money runs out.

In the first scenario we are screwed. In the second scenario we have a chance.

My gut feeling, based upon the history of the Big East, and also upon St. John's presence in NYC and control at MSG, and now I'll add, based upon the TV contracts mentioned in your post, is that the football Big East-Big XII remnants merger would be into the Big XII, and the Catholic Big East (the CYO) would be the Big East. That's also what I am hoping.

But this only happens if UConn, West Virginia, and Rutgers bolt, or if UConn and Rutgers bolt. UConn is glue that to some extent holds the two sides together, as UConn is a charter member of the Big East.

We have to watch what Louisville is doing too because Louisville is coached in hoops by Rick Pitino, who once coached Providence and the NY Knicks, and has NYC ties. Also, whatever UConn does is going to be very telling too.

There are still some bad scenarios in play for SLU. The Big XII remnants moving into the existing Big East, including both the Big East football and Catholic basketball sides, would leave no room for Big East basketball candidates. Also, there is talk from Texas about the remnants of the Big XII taking in SMU, Houston, and TCU to form a new Big 8. Then the Big East football schools would be looking to expand within the Big East: Temple, UMass, Memphis, Central Florida. There are existing roadblocks to two of those four, but there is mullah involved too that could ultimatly overcome the roadblocks this time.

The humor on Twitter coming out of Texas and Oklahoma is just cracking me up.

A&M supporters have erected a maroon billboard in Waco (home of Baylor) that reads: "Thou shall not covet thy neighbor's conference deal."

Per a tweet from @bgwithrow: "in honor of Pac 16, we will use Organic whole-grain flour from sustainable farms for tortilla".

A tweet from @l_e_a_h : "Do the(y) have vegan BBQ in the PAC-16? I heard you're not allowed to eat pie."

Per tweet from LandThieves: "From watching the BOR (Ok. Bd. of Regents) meeting .. I now know OU drama is doing a production of Dracula..."

My gut feeling, based upon the history of the Big East, and also upon St. John's presence in NYC and control at MSG, and now I'll add, based upon the TV contracts mentioned in your post, is that the football Big East-Big XII remnants merger would be into the Big XII, and the Catholic Big East (the CYO) would be the Big East. That's also what I am hoping.

But this only happens if UConn, West Virginia, and Rutgers bolt, or if UConn and Rutgers bolt. UConn is glue that to some extent holds the two sides together, as UConn is a charter member of the Big East.

We have to watch what Louisville is doing too because Louisville is coached in hoops by Rick Pitino, who once coached Providence and the NY Knicks, and has NYC ties. Also, whatever UConn does is going to be very telling too.

There are still some bad scenarios in play for SLU. The Big XII remnants moving into the existing Big East, including both the Big East football and Catholic basketball sides, would leave no room for Big East basketball candidates. Also, there is talk from Texas about the remnants of the Big XII taking in SMU, Houston, and TCU to form a new Big 8. Then the Big East football schools would be looking to expand within the Big East: Temple, UMass, Memphis, Central Florida. There are existing roadblocks to two of those four, but there is mullah involved too that could ultimatly overcome the roadblocks this time.

I just watched outside the lines. Katz said, the interests of the FB schools vs Basketball only schools was bound to go up in flames at some point. That's why the Beast has been easy pickings for the ACC. So are the days of the hybrid conference over. This talk about UMass entering the Big East is kind of over the top. UMass to compete on a regualar basis with BCS FB teams? What year does that happen? You just can't flip on a switch and say, "Hey, we're a BCS FB school!". They'll get killed. And what kind of a TV audience is UMass v South Fl gonna pull? The big domino's going to fall when the 4 Big 12 teams bolt for the Pac 16. Then you'll see CT and Rutgers in the ACC (good luck Rutgers). Obviously the SEC will have to do something with 13 teams and there may well be some competition between them as they fight over who gets MO, KU, KSU, UL, and UC. As for us, who knows at this point? We've heard nothing from the BB only schools of the Beast. Are they hoping to keep their hybrid conference together by adding the Big 12 leftovers? Do the big 12 orphans even want that?

Gary Parrish:

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/story/15606543/pillaged-big-east-can-survive-if-it-follows-this-plan

Lesson Learned (Biondi are you listening?) "sitting idle equates to a self-inflicted gunshot wound in the world of conference realignment."

He is predicting the Big East consumes the Big 12 leftovers and then invite some CUSA teams like Houston, Memphis and UCF to get 12 football teams and 20 basketball teams. (The only thing that goes against this is the fact that the Big 12 has an exit fee of $15 million and the Big East has an exit fee of $5 million).

This sort of huge hybrid conference makes me consider that if it happens for the Big East, it could create the possibility of CUSA swallowing up the A-10 and creating a similar mega conference.

Gary Parrish:

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/story/15606543/pillaged-big-east-can-survive-if-it-follows-this-plan

Lesson Learned (Biondi are you listening?) "sitting idle equates to a self-inflicted gunshot wound in the world of conference realignment."

He is predicting the Big East consumes the Big 12 leftovers and then invite some CUSA teams like Houston, Memphis and UCF to get 12 football teams and 20 basketball teams. (The only thing that goes against this is the fact that the Big 12 has an exit fee of $15 million and the Big East has an exit fee of $5 million).

This sort of huge hybrid conference makes me consider that if it happens for the Big East, it could create the possibility of CUSA swallowing up the A-10 and creating a similar mega conference.

Plus the Big 12 has a higher rights fee from ESPN.

Gary Parrish:

Come on BK. The schools in the A-10 want nothing to do with CUSA. Its a worse basketball league, why join with a worse basketball league that is focused on football?

I just watched outside the lines. Katz said, the interests of the FB schools vs Basketball only schools was bound to go up in flames at some point. That's why the Beast has been easy pickings for the ACC. So are the days of the hybrid conference over. This talk about UMass entering the Big East is kind of over the top. UMass to compete on a regualar basis with BCS FB teams? What year does that happen? You just can't flip on a switch and say, "Hey, we're a BCS FB school!". They'll get killed. And what kind of a TV audience is UMass v South Fl gonna pull? The big domino's going to fall when the 4 Big 12 teams bolt for the Pac 16. Then you'll see CT and Rutgers in the ACC (good luck Rutgers). Obviously the SEC will have to do something with 13 teams and there may well be some competition between them as they fight over who gets MO, KU, KSU, UL, and UC. As for us, who knows at this point? We've heard nothing from the BB only schools of the Beast. Are they hoping to keep their hybrid conference together by adding the Big 12 leftovers? Do the big 12 orphans even want that?

Re UMass, UMass is going to FBS D-1 football, planning to play football in the MAC with Temple. Note that UConn made its jump to FBS football not that long ago, and experienced good early success, played (albeit got clobbered by) OU in the Fiesta Bowl last season, also beat ND in South Bend.