Conference shakeups-again but for real?

slu72

With OU joining TX A&M as fairly certain drop outs from the Big 12 and then TX, TxTech, and OKState indicating they may be leaving as well, is the anticipated shakeup in conferences finally underway? The Pac 12 said they'd welcome OK, TX, TT, and OKS with open arms. That about does it for the Big 12's viability unless they raid CUSA, MWC, et al. Which can't be setting well with Mizzery, KU, and KSU. Could they jump ship to be Big 10/12 or possibly Mizzery to the SEC? Bottom line is it's gonna get messy sooner rather than later. And where will it all leave basketball?

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe it is time to bury the hatchet. Maybe it's my Catholic compassion but I'm feeling sorry for good ole Mizzou. Maybe we should use our connections and invite them into the A10

A10 could use better PR and Mizzou must have a huge department built to handle the steady stream of "news"

A10 could use better PR and Mizzou must have a huge department built to handle the steady stream of "news"

Huge department or not, Mizzery better start scrambling. If Pac 12 goes to Pac 16 by cherry picking the cream of the big 12 FB crop, then the SEC and Big 10 have to match them. Supposedly either FL ST or Miami or both want out of the ACC to jump to the SEC. That leaves an open spot for Mizzery. If this were to happen look for Big 10 and ACC to start going after the Big East to fill in their rosters. That's why hopefully SLU, Dayton, X, St. Joes, etc should get their heads together and start thinking about an East West split to bring in the Beast's bb only schools. But what's really scary is if the BCS goes to 4 big conferences for FB, then they'll think about starting a BCS for hoops. Face it, the NCAA $$ are big and the bigs don't want the little guys getting any of it.

Huge department or not, Mizzery better start scrambling. If Pac 12 goes to Pac 16 by cherry picking the cream of the big 12 FB crop, then the SEC and Big 10 have to match them. Supposedly either FL ST or Miami or both want out of the ACC to jump to the SEC. That leaves an open spot for Mizzery. If this were to happen look for Big 10 and ACC to start going after the Big East to fill in their rosters. That's why hopefully SLU, Dayton, X, St. Joes, etc should get their heads together and start thinking about an East West split to bring in the Beast's bb only schools. But what's really scary is if the BCS goes to 4 big conferences for FB, then they'll think about starting a BCS for hoops. Face it, the NCAA $$ are big and the bigs don't want the little guys getting any of it.

No football so they would have to be picked up by the MAC - what a hoot that would be.

The only thing that will impact bb as a whole is if the Big East goes only football and then the 8 bb only schools would be out looking to join another conf or to set up a new one.

A BCS for basketball would not be the monopoly it is in football because football has the antiquated bowl game system for post-season whereas basketball has the 68 team NCAA tourney. The small conferences are guaranteed their one automatic bid for the conference champ. BCS dominates the football bowl games and the bowl games are the only way to be national champion. There is no way a BCS of basketball would get away with scraping the NCAA tourney to form their alternative IMHO.

The SEC has already said that if they expand they do want to go anywhere they already have a presence - with FL in the SEC that leaves FLS out and Miami also but with there mess who wants them anyway. This approach by the SEC would also limit them reaching into the ACC or Big East also given that the legislature of Virginia wants to have their two big state schools in the same conference and will withhold funding to either one who does not cooperate and my guess is the NC and NCS would find themselves in the same boat.

Despite these being nervous times for mizzou fans as there is no guaranteed conference they will slide into I don't see any way that the don't end up in a bcs conference when it's all said and done. They are the only d1 football in a large state that borders a bunch of conferences. They'll be fine.

Despite these being nervous times for mizzou fans as there is no guaranteed conference they will slide into I don't see any way that the don't end up in a bcs conference when it's all said and done. They are the only d1 football in a large state that borders a bunch of conferences. They'll be fine.

Yes, but I think the thing most of us here are interested in is if the changing landscape sets up to benefit SLU. Even though I'm a Missouri fan, the angle of how SLU is affected weighs more heavily for me.

My understanding is that the Pac-12 really just wants Texas and Oklahoma and will take Ok State and T Tech just to make the league 16 teams. They know that once ther Big 12 is decimated that the other 3 football conferences will have to go to 16, so best to get the best available teams when you can.

If the Big 12 gets cherry picked by the Pac-12, then the Big East and SEC will do the same with the ACC and the Big 12. With Miami on the cusp of being given the 'death penalty', it is quite likely that the SEC will try to gobble up FSU, V Tech and either NC State or UNC from the ACC along with Baylor from the Big 12. The Big East will then take the rest of the viable teams from the ACC and Big 12 to make 16.

However, with the money that can be made from big time conferences in FBS football, I just don't see 4 conferences with 64 teams having all the power happening. We have already seen the amount of clout that BSU, TCU, BYU and Utah have had when it comes to deciding a national title. While these teams haven't won (the last 5 champs have been from the SEC) they have had made it difficult for the BCS committee.

Basically, if 4 conferences try to be the true 'super-conferences' and run things in the college football ranks, then you will see many of the other FBS schools (and maybe some FCS schools) jump into the fray and fill out the the other 'BCS' conferences. Nobody as a fan wants to see just 4 conferences, and 64 teams, have the say over everything when it comes to college football. Just too much animosity out there for the idea to succeed.

My understanding is that the Pac-12 really just wants Texas and Oklahoma and will take Ok State and T Tech just to make the league 16 teams. They know that once ther Big 12 is decimated that the other 3 football conferences will have to go to 16, so best to get the best available teams when you can.

If the Big 12 gets cherry picked by the Pac-12, then the Big East and SEC will do the same with the ACC and the Big 12. With Miami on the cusp of being given the 'death penalty', it is quite likely that the SEC will try to gobble up FSU, V Tech and either NC State or UNC from the ACC along with Baylor from the Big 12. The Big East will then take the rest of the viable teams from the ACC and Big 12 to make 16.

However, with the money that can be made from big time conferences in FBS football, I just don't see 4 conferences with 64 teams having all the power happening. We have already seen the amount of clout that BSU, TCU, BYU and Utah have had when it comes to deciding a national title. While these teams haven't won (the last 5 champs have been from the SEC) they have had made it difficult for the BCS committee.

Basically, if 4 conferences try to be the true 'super-conferences' and run things in the college football ranks, then you will see many of the other FBS schools (and maybe some FCS schools) jump into the fray and fill out the the other 'BCS' conferences. Nobody as a fan wants to see just 4 conferences, and 64 teams, have the say over everything when it comes to college football. Just too much animosity out there for the idea to succeed.

I find it unlikely that if the 4 super conferences really do come to fruition that the Big East will be one of them. The ACC is a stable conference that generally has stolen teams from the Big East in the past. While the ACC performances in BCS games is nothing to brag about, the Big East barely even rates as a BCS conference.

Seems to me the more likely version is something like this:

- Mizzou, Kansas, K-state to Big 10. ND finally gives in and joins as the 16th.

- West Virgina, Pitt and ??? to SEC

- The rest of the Big East scrambles to get an invite from the ACC and the last SEC bid but there are only 5 spots available and 7 teams want them (including TCU).

- Iowa St. and Baylor are left kicking and screaming with whoever was left out of the Big East. They will be the big losers.

And to follow Thicks lead, the basketball only schools in the Big East keep the name but look to add 3-5 schools. Its yet another reason SLU needs to WIN BIG on the court this year. You have to make yourself relevant when it comes time for them to select and we are definitely not currently relevant given our 11 year absense from the dance...

Shoe and bizzle. Good thoughts. No one knows for sure what will happen. With that said, I doubt the PAC 10 will be all that quick to increase to 16 unless Texas requires it. Texas wants to call the shots. It took them a short while in the Big 12 before the Big 12 home offices (Kansas City) and championship (St. Louis) left for good. Texas doesn't want to be the only midwest time zone school playing only left coast schools. Bringing in OU and 2 others would probably be in Texas' best interest.

As far as the Big 10, they have the schools (name/academics/population/ratings) and the TV network. They don't need to increase to 16. If and when they expand, it will be on their terms. I don't see the immediate benefit of increasing to 16. Playoff game/revenue caused the conferences to go from 8 to 12. Supply and demand. With less supply (fewer open spots left), the demand increases. I still see Missouri being attractive to the SEC as well. Same with W. VA, UConn and/or Syracuse. Why would the Big 10 take both Kansas and Kansas State? As possibly the strongest of all the BCS conferences, the Big 10 can take from the other BCS conferences as well.

With respect to the SEC, probably the best football schools but less TV network than the Big 10. Why would they want Baylor, Texas Tech and/or one or both Kansas schools? Mizzou, OU and/or OSU all seem more attractive. Again, maybe some schools have the clout and make demand that they join along with their rival. Mizzou would sure like to bring Kansas to their next conference but probably could care less about Kansas State. OU may want OSU as well.

In Burwell's column about how the Big 12 is doing littleto save itself, he addresses SLU at the bottom. Says this will be the end of the pipedream for us to get into a better conference and we should move to the MVC.

Here is the article.

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/columns/bryan-burwell/article_3334c847-fc9a-5f14-a0d3-683625804c08.html

The Big East is interested in MU, KU and K-state because they know that they will get swallowed up by the SEC, Big 10 and ACC as they move to 16. They are a last resort for those three schools and quite frankly an unlikely landing spot.Further, the idea of a 20 team basketball league seems a bit insane, but maybe I'm just old fashioned.

Rather, a far more likely alternative if those three actually did go to the Big East is that the 8 basketball only schools are asked to move along, thus creating a new basketball only conference and 4 new spots for a new 12 team confernece.

There are a million ways this could all play out but Burwell's path seems unlikely to me. He is right about one thing, no matter how this all shakes out, the MVC will likely always be an option for SLU so the worst is we end up there if everything breaks poorly.

In Burwell's column about how the Big 12 is doing littleto save itself, he addresses SLU at the bottom. Says this will be the end of the pipedream for us to get into a better conference and we should move to the MVC.

Read the article - he is crazy if he thinks the Big East will be a 20 team conference for bb. How do you manage that? - scheduling would be a nightmare with no real opportunity to play non conference teams and you will either play only those in your division except at the post season tourney or you play only part of your division - like I said he is off base with that part of his article. Right now the Bills have the best set up - they are in the A10 and can stay if need be or be available to join a new bb only conf with the remaining bb only BE teams or a combination there of.

Here is the article.

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/columns/bryan-burwell/article_3334c847-fc9a-5f14-a0d3-683625804c08.html

The Big East is interested in MU, KU and K-state because they know that they will get swallowed up by the SEC, Big 10 and ACC as they move to 16. They are a last resort for those three schools and quite frankly an unlikely landing spot.Further, the idea of a 20 team basketball league seems a bit insane, but maybe I'm just old fashioned.

Rather, a far more likely alternative if those three actually did go to the Big East is that the 8 basketball only schools are asked to move along, thus creating a new basketball only conference and 4 new spots for a new 12 team confernece.

There are a million ways this could all play out but Burwell's path seems unlikely to me. He is right about one thing, no matter how this all shakes out, the MVC will likely always be an option for SLU so the worst is we end up there if everything breaks poorly.

Big stretch the Big East to extend the olive branch out to Ames and the Little Apple. I don't see any reason why they'd want Iowa State and K-State. Inadequate facilities, logistical nightmares, etc. They'd be better off in the Mountain West or even the Valley.

As far as Kansas goes, I could see the Pac 12 making a play for them...imagine a Kansas-UCLA conference game...wow! I hate KU, but that would be a great series.

Here is the article.

I guess if the 8 bb only BE teams look for 4 more teams then the A10 could slip to 12 teams but if Temple and Nova want to be upgraded for football then that could make things really interesting for SLU. I really do not think that only the A10 will be poached then - think about Butler joining the new bb only league so the choices really do get interesting. By the way the bb only BE teams really no longer have to be held hostage by ND - ND is in the BE only because the league thought that if ND ever changed their mind about being independent for fb then they would be the likely choice for them to join, I actually think ND could find itself outside looking in.

Read the article - he is crazy if he thinks the Big East will be a 20 team conference for bb. How do you manage that? - scheduling would be a nightmare with no real opportunity to play non conference teams and you will either play only those in your division except at the post season tourney or you play only part of your division - like I said he is off base with that part of his article. Right now the Bills have the best set up - they are in the A10 and can stay if need be or be available to join a new bb only conf with the remaining bb only BE teams or a combination there of.

i agree with cheese. if the big east takes on all these additional football schools, they will throw basketball only schools to the wayside. this suffle is exactly what slu needs to ever have a chance to create a new conference. burwell isnt thinking straight on this one imo.

Why do the arguments about geography, natural rivals, time zones and short bus rides not apply to MU, KU and KSU? How about the Mizzou women's volleyball team playing the Seton Hall? Lambert Airport and 15 minute taxi ride looks rather convenient compared to getting to Boone County and vice versa.

Burwell is a tool. He has absolutely no interest in doing what's best for SLU (and for our City and State for that matter). Just get that pesky SLU team into an inferior conference (Valley) and out of the way so guys like Burwell can talk about the real teams and conferences. If people had listened to such crap in the 1980's, there would be no Big East and no perennial powers like GTown, Nova, UConn, etc.

And to follow Thicks lead, the basketball only schools in the Big East keep the name but look to add 3-5 schools. Its yet another reason SLU needs to WIN BIG on the court this year. You have to make yourself relevant when it comes time for them to select and we are definitely not currently relevant given our 11 year absense from the dance...

+1 If the top tier football schools leave the Big East, then the rush will be on to either reform the Big East as a bball conference or form a new bball only conference with remnants of the Big East and pieces from other conferences. Either way, SLU needs to show well this season and hope we ride with X and Dayton to wherever they go.

Why do the arguments about geography, natural rivals, time zones and short bus rides not apply to MU, KU and KSU? How about the Mizzou women's volleyball team playing the Seton Hall? Lambert Airport and 15 minute taxi ride looks rather convenient compared to getting to Boone County and vice versa.

Burwell is a tool. He has absolutely no interest in doing what's best for SLU (and for our City and State for that matter). Just get that pesky SLU team into an inferior conference (Valley) and out of the way so guys like Burwell can talk about the real teams and conferences. If people had listened to such crap in the 1980's, there would be no Big East and no perennial powers like GTown, Nova, UConn, etc.

I agree with you about why is the travel/geo rivals only an issue for SLU not for other big state schools. That is a perfect example of how out of touch sportswriters can be - they speak out of one side of their face for one school and other side for another. If MU ends up with the SEC or BE then all this talk about SLU not being a good fit for the A10 goes out the window for any of these knuckleheads.