2012 Commitment

propriate to take shots on our new recruit (verbal commit - not written LOI, whom he has not seen play and knows very, very little about. Shots like:

"He's not an outstanding shooter from the reports;" and

"

...landing a kid whose other offers were Detroit, IPFW, ISU and Mo. State doesn't disprove the concerns I have..."

"JD doesn't appear to be a program changer"

I, for one, am sickened. Remind me again what SLU has done on the basketball court to justify such an ego? Take your shots at RM but leave the young recruits alone.

I hate to see you're feeling under the weather.

I've never seen Drew play nor have I claimed to. My comments, as was obvious in the way I phrased them, were based on reports of the kid, which is the best we can do. Some people would prefer not to talk about a guy until they've seen him play or he is on campus. I am not one of those guys. Drew is older than me, but sorry for taking shots at the "young recruits".

Those were his other offers, that is not in dispute.

The reports do not suggest he is an outstanding shooter, that is also not in dispute.

If you'd like to argue he is a program-changer, feel free to do so. You don't need to land program changers every year. My expectations for Drew are that he can be a role player his first couple of years, then step into a bigger role after that. Should I be proven wrong when he arrives on campus, I will happily admit so. I didn't expect the three guys who came in this year to be program-changers based on reports. And while I have only seen two of them play, I stand by that.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For those of you saying Drew was only getting interest from low-D1 teams, here is what ESPN is now saying about who had interest in Drew:

St. Louis lands Indy wing Drew

A source has confirmed to ESPN.com that 6-foot-5 small forward Jared Drew ended his recruitment on Sunday, verbally committing to St. Louis and head coach Rick Majerus.

The long, athletic Drew plays for one of the top high school programs in Indiana and was Cathedral's leading scorer as a junior last season. He chose the Billikens over offers from Missouri State and Creighton and was garnering serious interest from Boston College, Richmond and Michigan.

One of Indy Elite's best is the first recruit for Majerus and his staff in 2012.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/recruiting/player/news/_/id/103523/jared-drew

This thread is not about me it is about Jared Drew.

I am thrilled for us to land Drew as it was our top target at the moment.

You did interject yourself into the thread with your first post - "Note: The ironic comments about how we got him even without PM or about how RM is lazy will most likely NOT be funny."

I don't know how good Drew is but we went 11-19 last year. We're not going to get the recruits we want until we start winning.

Losing PM was big. He was our lead recruiter on a lot of guys, but those guys weren't going to come to SLU for PM, they were coming to SLU for RM.

Haven't seen this video posted yet of drew, but he seems like a solid get to me. He is definitely an area we needed to address, a mid sized cutter/slasher. You also have to love the quote he made saying he wanted to win championships... loving the attitude Jared.

Looks like he has a nice shot and pretty good hops. Perhaps like Evans in that he flew a bit under the radar, but different with his skill set. Looks like Drew will provide more of a perimeter game than Evans. Hopefully a nice complement to DE.

For those of you saying Drew was only getting interest from low-D1 teams, here is what ESPN is now saying about who had interest in Drew:

St. Louis lands Indy wing Drew

A source has confirmed to ESPN.com that 6-foot-5 small forward Jared Drew ended his recruitment on Sunday, verbally committing to St. Louis and head coach Rick Majerus.

The long, athletic Drew plays for one of the top high school programs in Indiana and was Cathedral's leading scorer as a junior last season. He chose the Billikens over offers from Missouri State and Creighton and was garnering serious interest from Boston College, Richmond and Michigan.

One of Indy Elite's best is the first recruit for Majerus and his staff in 2012.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/recruiting/player/news/_/id/103523/jared-drew

Seems pretty impressive to me. Glad to sign him. Go Bills!

Looks like he has a nice shot and pretty good hops. Perhaps like Evans in that he flew a bit under the radar, but different with his skill set. Looks like Drew will provide more of a perimeter game than Evans. Hopefully a nice complement to DE.

Agreed. Also, this may be the best recruit video we've ever had. Yes, it's a highlight video. But after living on this board for the past 10 years, I don't think i've ever seen a commitment who's video is as diverse as this. Dunks, tre's, blocks, etc. I think this kid could be a playmaker...DE with a better stroke.

Agreed. Also, this may be the best recruit video we've ever had. Yes, it's a highlight video. But after living on this board for the past 10 years, I don't think i've ever seen a commitment who's video is as diverse as this. Dunks, tre's, blocks, etc. I think this kid could be a playmaker...DE with a better stroke.

And the most ridiculous post of the day goes to....

And the most ridiculous post of the day goes to....

Why is that, "Randy"? I'm guessing you are a new fan, but we never even had highlight tapes...not to mention a tape that shows a recruit with some skills. What was it about my post that is ridiculous? Or is it that you have no reading comprehension?

I hate to see you're feeling under the weather.

I've never seen Drew play nor have I claimed to. My comments, as was obvious in the way I phrased them, were based on reports of the kid, which is the best we can do. Some people would prefer not to talk about a guy until they've seen him play or he is on campus. I am not one of those guys. Drew is older than me, but sorry for taking shots at the "young recruits".

Those were his other offers, that is not in dispute.

The reports do not suggest he is an outstanding shooter, that is also not in dispute.

If you'd like to argue he is a program-changer, feel free to do so. You don't need to land program changers every year. My expectations for Drew are that he can be a role player his first couple of years, then step into a bigger role after that. Should I be proven wrong when he arrives on campus, I will happily admit so. I didn't expect the three guys who came in this year to be program-changers based on reports. And while I have only seen two of them play, I stand by that.

I defended you once, but you keep going back to the well for more abuse. In the post above this one you say this thread is not about you. When I read that, I thought you had it figured out, but then you couldn't resist responding to Clock. I think you're smart enough to know that if you don't respond, it won't be about you. So stop responding!

By the way, to declare Glaze, Tselentakis, and Manning to not be "program-changers" is ridiculous. I'm not sure what a program changer is, but I'm quite confident you can't tell after 10 practices. Unless "program-changer" is code for McDonald's All-American.

Why is that, "Randy"? I'm guessing you are a new fan, but we never even had highlight tapes...not to mention a tape that shows a recruit with some skills. What was it about my post that is ridiculous? Or is it that you have no reading comprehension?

Are you questioning my fanhood brah?

By the way, to declare Glaze, Tselentakis, and Manning to not be "program-changers" is ridiculous. I'm not sure what a program changer is, but I'm quite confident you can't tell after 10 practices. Unless "program-changer" is code for McDonald's All-American.

I guess I mean something along the lines of a guy who comes in and contributes significantly as a freshman. Does anyone think any of this year's freshman will get significant minutes this year? I don't, which in many ways is a welcome change.

Because of the "situation" .. this is THE BEST highlight video of any recruit, OF ALL TIME!

Watch Willie Reed get pushed under on the rebound at the beginning of the clip. No strength in his legs, and very little effort. At the end of the video, Mitchell shoots and Reed stands at the FT line, making no effort at a rebound (actually, Salecich starts back on D - wtf, and Ellis doesn't make much effort either). There were about 2.5 seconds left when Mitchell shot it, so a rebound and another shot is unlikely, but you gotta try. C'mon Willie, Rise and Grind!

This thread is not about me it is about Jared Drew.

I am thrilled for us to land Drew as it was our top target at the moment.

OK. Smart ass. Which is it? You started this nonsense stating:

1. 6'6" wing player out of Indianapolis was our top target this fall. (Post #2)

Sorry, but I read this as the #1 guy that RM set out to recruit for the Fall 2012 class. If so, wouldn't that be a major accompolishment - or did RM set the bar too low? Where did you read this?

Then you state:

2. After missing out on our top two targets,... (Post #41). Thought you said JD was our top target?

Then you state:

3. I am thrilled for us to land Drew as it was our top target at the moment. Post #50. Wouldn't every recruit be a program's "target at the moment?"

Top target for 2012, then "top target" after two (sounds like 3rd to me) and now "target at the moment."

Also, really appreciate all that insight. :lol: You infer that JD really really isn't that good since didn't have that many offers in hand, then you tell us that he is certain no "program changer", then you say that "he can be a role player his first couple of years, then step into a bigger role after that." Wow!! Really?? Sounds like what can be said about nearly every Freshman!! What's next? I'll bet that you will you even tell us that he will only get better after puts some weight on, adds some strength, improves his shot and has a year or 2 in RM's system??

"The reports do not suggest he is an outstanding shooter, that is also not in dispute", you write. What?? Not in dispute?? What did you do, read 2 reports (which may even be written by the same author) about what he observed when the kid was maybe a Sophomore or Junior in high school or during some weekend of basketball? You do realize JD has his entire highschool Senior year ahead of him, plus the Spring/Summer following, to work on his game, right? So now you summarize a few non-referenced and probably questionable reports to give this Board your recruiting insight about this kid? Love it!! Keep it coming unless your teachers give you too much homework.

Coincidentally, your "analysis" of JD and the others (ET and GG) back up your agenda and wild statements that while RM is still landing good players, they sure aren't "program changers" and if RM weren't so lazy and old school, and if only we still had Porter, that we'd have all the local blue chip players (program changers like Nolan Berry) beating our doors done but that RM has not completely failed with these back-up players.

I guess NH wanted us to wait on signing this kid so the BCS'ers could evaluate his SR year then take him away from us in the spring, ala Chievous. Watched the Vid on him and he looks good shooting the 3 and has some hops to the hoop. No doubt his bod needs some buffing up, but a 6'10" wingspan can't be taught. And UConn won a championship last year with a whole bunch of 6'6"- 6'7" guys with B52 like Wing spans.

-seems a good get esp with the article from the indy paper saying he wants to get better and he will appreciate being coached and pushed,or at least that is how i took it, a Rick type player

-i see kshoe's point on waiting on the other schollie, if we can get a good player now i would not hold it

-if we have a bad season this board will not be worth visiting as we fight about a player telling the world he wants to play at SLU...i don't want to imagine the constant shitstorm if we stumble