Anyone going this morning (Sat. 8/6)?

bonwich

I got a late start this morning so by the time I got there all the streets, and Chaifetz, were packed due to the other event going on. Decided to head back home and just wait until tomorrow.

Me too. Was on Compton around 10:15 and bailed. Ran an errand downtown and went home. Maybe tomorrow for me too.

I was there. Practice began by 9 a.m. and ended at 11:30 a.m. The St. Louis Public Schools had some kind of event both outside Chaifetz and in the arena, so the streets were challenging (I made my way on the bus), and practice was in the pavilion (practice gym).

Glaze and Tselentakis weren't there, but I believe they're still supposed to go on the trip to Canada. The blue squad was Mitchell, Conklin, Jett, Evans, and Loe, with Remekun sometimes switching in. They mostly worked on motion offensive sets and transition. Jett looks like the most improved player, occasionally dazzling with his court vision. Remekun will block some shots this year. I think we may be waiting a little while for Barnett to be a big contributor. I would guess he'll be behind Cassity on the depth chart.

I'm cautiously optimistic that this team will be an (at-large) NCAA Tournament team, but considering that there are still more sophomores and freshmen than seniors and juniors, I'm holding off my expectations of greatness until next year.

I was there as well. I'll do my best to give my thoughts on each player.

KM- Best player out there easily. We don't have any outstanding defenders, but no one could guard him. Had some great passes in transition. Seemed to be able to get to the rim pretty easily and got his jump shot off easily too. Looks improved on defense. One of the team leaders.

JJ- Agreed on the most improved player. Had some steals and looked much more confident out on the court. Jump shot looks improved but still not great.

MM- Struggled to guard KM and I think that wore him out a bit because he didn't look as quick with the ball. Shot the ball well in the 3 point drill. Looks stronger.

JB- Looked shaky today, but he was hard on himself and he's going to work to improve it. Shot the ball well in the shooting drill. Really struggled to guard DE.

DE- I think he'll be our second best player. Had some bad moments on defense, but I think he's too big and strong to be guarded by a guard and too quick to be guarded by a big man. Still a very intense rebounder.

RL- Looks more comfortable and looks bigger. Didn't shoot much but he's moving better on defense and without the ball. Think the pick and pop with him and KM will be outstanding.

BC- Rolled his ankle about mid way but looked fine. Plays hard. Definitely a team leader. He looks improved down low. Hopefully he can score like he did last year.

CE- Definitely bigger. Wasn't really used much in the transition scrimmage but he's playing hard and looks healthy.

CR- Very good defensively. Another guy who looks stronger. I think he could surprise this year a bit.

JM- Looks like a freshman but he is a very good shot blocker and he dunks the ball hard.

I think we looked pretty good. Having KM back is going to be huge obviously.

I forgot to mention that Evans worked with the guards when they split up the guards and bigs for skills drills. He told me that it's been like that since they started practice, so he expects he'll be used mostly as a 3, though he likes the 4 a lot.

I really like DE @ 3. Cody's return to health and the addition of Glaze make that possible. As someone else said, Dwayne will cause matchup problems for many opponents.

Made it eventually. Holding the open practice today wasn't the brightest move in the world (like, the AD had no idea there would be several thousand people there for another event?), but it still looked like there were at least 200 people in the stands. Only recognized Nark, didn't see Box, Chris May was doing a nice job of working the crowd. Pretty interesting to see 200 people in the stands as quiet as if they were studying in the library.

RL stood out in the "most matured" category, physically and attitudinally. DE hit a really nice mid-range jumper, which could add a nice dimension to our game. CE looked both intense and like he was really having fun, which, if it holds over to the season, will be a good combination. They also seemed to be pushing him to attack the basket.

JJ, as mentioned elsewhere, has insanely good court vision (although now we need insanely good hands on the receiving end, which weren't always there). I also bet JJ leads the team in steals this year. KM stands out so much from the rest that he looks like there's always a spotlight on him. That leaves MM in a likely backup position, but having your prior-year leading scorer coming off the bench isn't the worst problem a team could have.

I'm hoping JB just needs to play competitive basketball again. His shot looked clunky and he missed a couple of pass receptions, but you just have to love his intensity. BC has a similar but not quite as extroverted intensity but...missed a bunny, had an inside shot blocked (albeit by CR) and had a rebound stripped. CR, as mentioned yesterday or the day before, seems to be almost carefree in the way he gets up in the air.

The new big kid isn't exactly strapped, but he did seem bigger than RL was last year, and is listed at almost the same size and height as RL this year. Another nice problem to have. Aside from KC in the boot, did I miss anyone?

Thus scouteth the restaurant critic based on about 40 minutes of observation. I'll ask TT if he needs my expert input for the preview article. ;)

Oh, and that new graduate assistant is clearly a genius and a stud, as are all University of Wisconsin graduates. B)

Made it eventually. Holding the open practice today wasn't the brightest move in the world (like, the AD had no idea there would be several thousand people there for another event?), but it still looked like there were at least 200 people in the stands. Only recognized Nark, didn't see Box, Chris May was doing a nice job of working the crowd. Pretty interesting to see 200 people in the stands as quiet as if they were studying in the library.

RL stood out in the "most matured" category, physically and attitudinally. DE hit a really nice mid-range jumper, which could add a nice dimension to our game. CE looked both intense and like he was really having fun, which, if it holds over to the season, will be a good combination. They also seemed to be pushing him to attack the basket.

JJ, as mentioned elsewhere, has insanely good court vision (although now we need insanely good hands on the receiving end, which weren't always there). I also bet JJ leads the team in steals this year. KM stands out so much from the rest that he looks like there's always a spotlight on him. That leaves MM in a likely backup position, but having your prior-year leading scorer coming off the bench isn't the worst problem a team could have.

I'm hoping JB just needs to play competitive basketball again. His shot looked clunky and he missed a couple of pass receptions, but you just have to love his intensity. BC has a similar but not quite as extroverted intensity but...missed a bunny, had an inside shot blocked (albeit by CR) and had a rebound stripped. CR, as mentioned yesterday or the day before, seems to be almost carefree in the way he gets up in the air.

The new big kid isn't exactly strapped, but he did seem bigger than RL was last year, and is listed at almost the same size and height as RL this year. Another nice problem to have. Aside from KC in the boot, did I miss anyone?

Thus scouteth the restaurant critic based on about 40 minutes of observation. I'll ask TT if he needs my expert input for the preview article. ;)

Oh, and that new graduate assistant is clearly a genius and a stud, as are all University of Wisconsin graduates. B)

I got a late start this morning so by the time I got there all the streets, and Chaifetz, were packed due to the other event going on. Decided to head back home and just wait until tomorrow.

When the university invited us to park in the Olive/Compton garage, it would have been nice of them to mention that they were charging $6 to park there.

It was nice they opened practice, but it was absolute chaos around campus with the go-to-school event going on for city kids. Considering the postcard we all received invited us to park in the VIP lot for free, it would have been real nice if they made alternative arrangements. Regardless, the entire practice facility bleachers were full.

My observation was that the core of returning players looked to be in mid to late season form. Jordair and Kwamain were completely in synch and had great chemistry, and Loe and Evans were pretty much on the same page. Ellis, McCall, and Corey manned the other squad, and didn't show much rust in their own right.

The professionalism of the squad was top-notch. They were extremely focused the entire practice.

When I got there at about 10 after 9 there were 5 spectators. People came and left. Don't know about 200 but I counted 80 in the stands at one point. It was a madhouse outside the arena but I knew that going in, probably deterred some from showing.

I haven't been to a real practice since Spoon so this was real enjoyable for me. All the coaches were really impressive, really liked how Al interacts with the players, effectively can be the nice guy and the heavy more so than the other coaches on the staff. Whitesell runs a good practice, team responds to him already.

Did anybody ask when Majerus was coming back? Or even if he is in town yet? Didn't have a chance to talk to May or the staff.

First team was Jett, Mitchell, Loe, Conklin, Evans. Didn't scrimmage much more than a couple possessions at a time. Ran through their sets mostly and worked on getting out in transition. Did a nice 4 on 4 drill for a while with Jensen and Young out there. Broke to shoot free throws half a dozen times, we don't make them in practice either.

Mitchell was the best player on both ends. I don't think he missed a jumper all day.

Today Jett was better than McCall. Jett aggressive on both ends, still TO prone but was very active on defense had several steals.

I liked Manning. Not as skinny as everyone says. Similar size to Loe. Legit 6'10. Doesn't plod up and down the court, gets up for dunks, plays a little defense. Not a finished product by any means but further along than previous big men we've brought in at this stage.

Remuken looks much bigger. Has become a very good shot blocker. If he can stay out foul trouble & cut down mistakes on offense he could be a difference maker on defense.

Liked what another poster said in the first practice about Conklin "More Bounce." Looks physically better than ever but this is before the grind of the season. Still has his deficiencies but I wouldn't be shocked for him to have an even better offensive year than last year, leading the team in scoring more than a few times.

Loe has built himself up to. He's developing into a leader on the team. Didn't see him shoot much though.

I agree about Barnett. Worker, competitive and can shoot a little. Didn't seem like he grasps the defense like most of the rest of the team. He won't start this year, maybe down the road. Vocal leader though, and no one runs and plays harder, cept maybe Evans.

Evans was guarded by Barnett and tore him up. He was the 2nd best player on the court. Was consistently praised for technique by the coaching staff. Showed an improved jumper, better handle, more strength, and good post play. He'll be a nightmare to defend in the A-10.

Ellis is still an enigma to me. First team talent and appear to be over his injuries. Wish he gave a Barnett's or Evans effort all the time.

Liked the new walk on Remke. 6'5 or so skinny but he played with the big men and more than held his own. With all of our depth he won't see the court but he's a better class of walk on.

Glaze watched practice for awhile. He looks well built, about Evans and Conklin's height but with a much bigger frame. He looks to be Conklin's successor, after a year in teh weight program Glaze will be bad bad man.

Looked like a recruit was there, with a coach or father. Conklin talked to them shortly after practice. Was sitting first row on the far side. Don't know who it was.

I was there as well. I'll do my best to give my thoughts on each player.

KM- Best player out there easily. We don't have any outstanding defenders, but no one could guard him. Had some great passes in transition. Seemed to be able to get to the rim pretty easily and got his jump shot off easily too. Looks improved on defense. One of the team leaders.

JJ- Agreed on the most improved player. Had some steals and looked much more confident out on the court. Jump shot looks improved but still not great.

MM- Struggled to guard KM and I think that wore him out a bit because he didn't look as quick with the ball. Shot the ball well in the 3 point drill. Looks stronger.

JB- Looked shaky today, but he was hard on himself and he's going to work to improve it. Shot the ball well in the shooting drill. Really struggled to guard DE.

DE- I think he'll be our second best player. Had some bad moments on defense, but I think he's too big and strong to be guarded by a guard and too quick to be guarded by a big man. Still a very intense rebounder.

RL- Looks more comfortable and looks bigger. Didn't shoot much but he's moving better on defense and without the ball. Think the pick and pop with him and KM will be outstanding.

BC- Rolled his ankle about mid way but looked fine. Plays hard. Definitely a team leader. He looks improved down low. Hopefully he can score like he did last year.

CE- Definitely bigger. Wasn't really used much in the transition scrimmage but he's playing hard and looks healthy.

CR- Very good defensively. Another guy who looks stronger. I think he could surprise this year a bit.

JM- Looks like a freshman but he is a very good shot blocker and he dunks the ball hard.

I think we looked pretty good. Having KM back is going to be huge obviously.

I was there. Practice began by 9 a.m. and ended at 11:30 a.m. The St. Louis Public Schools had some kind of event both outside Chaifetz and in the arena, so the streets were challenging (I made my way on the bus), and practice was in the pavilion (practice gym).

Glaze and Tselentakis weren't there, but I believe they're still supposed to go on the trip to Canada. The blue squad was Mitchell, Conklin, Jett, Evans, and Loe, with Remekun sometimes switching in. They mostly worked on motion offensive sets and transition. Jett looks like the most improved player, occasionally dazzling with his court vision. Remekun will block some shots this year. I think we may be waiting a little while for Barnett to be a big contributor. I would guess he'll be behind Cassity on the depth chart.

I'm cautiously optimistic that this team will be an (at-large) NCAA Tournament team, but considering that there are still more sophomores and freshmen than seniors and juniors, I'm holding off my expectations of greatness until next year.

Whoa, Barnett behind KC - this why you have to wait to see them play in person to really know how good they are. If JB is going to be behind KC then he is not the player some were led to believe - at least not yet.

Whoa, Barnett behind KC - this why you have to wait to see them play in person to really know how good they are. If JB is going to be behind KC then he is not the player some were led to believe - at least not yet.

Regardless of ability it does take some time for players to readjust after a redshirt year. Hopefully he can shake the rust and get his D up to snuff with these practices/games.

Been out of town on vacation and have not been able to justseethemplay!! Appreciate all the comments from those that have but can someone write a little more about Manning? Comparisons to prior Bills players? More like a young Baniak, Husak, IV, BT, RL or Heinrich? Heinrich sure improved and increased his muscle/strength over time but was always a bigger presence and was quite awkward his Freshman year. IV was tall but quite soft, clumbsy and just plain his Freshman year. Baniak was more a forward who sometimes played center. Some have said Manning is 7' and others 6'10". Some have said he is bigger - possibly bigger than their prior expectations? Some said he is as skinny as RL was last year but with an inside, instead of outside, game.

Thank you.

Been out of town on vacation and have not been able to justseethemplay!! Appreciate all the comments from those that have but can someone write a little more about Manning? Comparisons to prior Bills players? More like a young Baniak, Husak, IV, BT, RL or Heinrich? Heinrich sure improved and increased his muscle/strength over time but was always a bigger presence and was quite awkward his Freshman year. IV was tall but quite soft, clumbsy and just plain his Freshman year. Baniak was more a forward who sometimes played center. Some have said Manning is 7' and others 6'10". Some have said he is bigger - possibly bigger than their prior expectations? Some said he is as skinny as RL was last year but with an inside, instead of outside, game.

Thank you.

JM plays a very controlled, very limited game so far; strangely, I would compare him to Divers who choose to do what they know they can do 100 percent and not willing to show anything

that would cause them to fail at a higher level until they are perfect.

Looked to be 1.5 to 2.0 inches shorter than Loe and about same weight as Loe is now

Better than BT

Different from each of the others; for a freshman very capable in his low risk style

I am a touch concerned about the JB reports. Based on what I had heard leading up to practice I projected a likely starting 5 was KM at the 1 (and the man) JB at the 2 (outside bomber) DE at the 3 (inside a lot) CE at the 4 (outside a lot) and BC at the 5 (camped inside). I know we will be deep and play any number of combinations and match ups but I liked this 5 based on early and perhaps overly optimistic reports.

I am a touch concerned about the JB reports. Based on what I had heard leading up to practice I projected a likely starting 5 was KM at the 1 (and the man) JB at the 2 (outside bomber) DE at the 3 (inside a lot) CE at the 4 (outside a lot) and BC at the 5 (camped inside). I know we will be deep and play any number of combinations and match ups but I liked this 5 based on early and perhaps overly optimistic reports.