Glaze or Bruenig

Glaze might be just what the doctor ordered.

If he is really 6'6" and 230 and fights for rebounds like they say he does... and if Manning can stand strong, provide some heigth and intimidation close to the basket on "D".... we might have something after all.

WR was a death blow to our NCAA hopes IMO, but if these two can be effective inside players, we are back to having a chance, though realistically you have to handicap us as NIT bound even if things go fairly well.

Another factor, if RL can improve even close to as much as WR did from frosh to soph, and play a more physical inside style, then, maybe...

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As to 25 wins, I think it has less to do with Glaze/JM stepping in as Frosh and producing right away as it does with the fact that we will finally have an experienced team of JRs and SRs, we will be led by a proven point guard/clutch scorer in KM (w/ a proven backup in MM), we will finally have an outside shooter (JB with KM, MM, CE and RL contributing), our free throw shooting will be improved with KM and JB on the floor and we will not only have mutliple options in games - depth at every position - but our practices will be much more competitive and therefore our better players will be more battle-tested or game-ready.

Good points - I would add that the defense should be much improved with Mitchell playing a lot of minutes. I also have high hopes for JB's D.

Glaze might be just what the doctor ordered.

If he is really 6'6" and 230 and fights for rebounds like they say he does... and if Manning can stand strong, provide some heigth and intimidation close to the basket on "D".... we might have something after all.

WR was a death blow to our NCAA hopes IMO, but if these two can be effective inside players, we are back to having a chance, though realistically you have to handicap us as NIT bound even if things go fairly well.

Another factor, if RL can improve even close to as much as WR did from frosh to soph, and play a more physical inside style, then, maybe...

The loss of WR sure seemed like a death blow but I no longer think so. Don't get me wrong, I would still like to see WR in our lineup if for no other reason that he would force double teams as he posts up on the low block. In what would be his 4th year under RM, he'd sure be a force despite stamina and FT shooting issues. No way can we expect Glaze and JM to be able to fill that role as true Freshmen.

Still, I believe we all remember WR, at this best, during the second half of his Soph year with KM leading the team/being clutch from the outside and w/ time expiring and with CE spreading the defense by hitting from the outside. Our team was anchored that year by KM, CE and WR. Those three (3) guys basically carried the team on their backs when they went on the late season run and should have made the NIT. Had we not lost KM (eye injury) for the MSU game earlier in the year or had CE earlier, we would have clearly been an NIT team.

Now, we are certainly w/o 1 of these 3 key players (WR) but we now have so much more. We will be a team of 5 and not just 3. Back then we completely lacked an effective outside shooting game with KC, CS and Justin Jordan trying to help KM by doing their best from the outside but not really being all that succesful. Now, I feel much more confident with MM, Jett, JB helping KM from the outside. Back then, KC was trying to be a passer/role player to CS/nobody whereas now he can play that role with better players in MM, JB and Jett. Back then, BC had become more a non-factor on the inside during the second half of his Soph year but last year BC showed that he has improved, toughened up even more and can play significant minutes. Back then, our backups to WR and CE were Freshmen CR and JS but now we have RL and DE who have played significant minutes/started alot last year together with JM and Glaze.

To me, we were an NIT 2 years ago and are much improved since then. This year, barring major injuries or another Situation, we should be either an NCAA Tourney team or a high-seed/lock for the NIT. Maybe I should put the blue kool-aid down for awhile but I finally see, first hand, the long-awaited break-out season.

When you look at DE, he isn't great on the perimeter with his drible, outside shooting and passing and on the interior he is abit undersized going up against guys 3 to 5 inches taller and 20 to 50 lbs heavier. Instead, he simply finds ways to score and be effective.

There have been quite a few discussions on whether DE would be better bulking up and becoming an undersized 4, or just getting more fit, working on his first step, his handles, and his jumper and becoming more like the kid (his name always escapes me) who played along side J. Love and was a pretty good slasher type player after J Love left. I see much more upside with the latter.

There have been quite a few discussions on whether DE would be better bulking up and becoming an undersized 4, or just getting more fit, working on his first step, his handles, and his jumper and becoming more like the kid (his name always escapes me) who played along side J. Love and was a pretty good slasher type player after J Love left. I see much more upside with the latter.

Mo' Jeffers?

Do you mean Jeffers? I think DE will always be a different type of player who will find minutes just because he has a nose for the ball and he plays with intensity and intelligence. From what I hear he is much stronger even now and he is on the weight program in a big way. In our league with a lot of tough strong mid sized players it would seem to me that DE and Glaze would be essential to our long term future. If they could shoot it a bit their value will go way up!

Do you mean Jeffers? I think DE will always be a different type of player who will find minutes just because he has a nose for the ball and he plays with intensity and intelligence. From what I hear he is much stronger even now and he is on the weight program in a big way. In our league with a lot of tough strong mid sized players it would seem to me that DE and Glaze would be essential to our long term future. If they could shoot it a bit their value will go way up!

I heard the same things a few weeks go about DE and also heard that RL had a great spring, too.

Personally, I think CS probably could have used the redshirt even more. CR has certainly been given the chance to play his first year and last year but there really was no real pressure on him. CS, on the other hand, was thrown into the starting mix, was told to sink or swim, lost his confidence in large part b/c the others failed to step up as expected, lost confidence and was banned to the end of the bench.

As to 25 wins, I think it has less to do with Glaze/JM stepping in as Frosh and producing right away as it does with the fact that we will finally have an experienced team of JRs and SRs, we will be led by a proven point guard/clutch scorer in KM (w/ a proven backup in MM), we will finally have an outside shooter (JB with KM, MM, CE and RL contributing), our free throw shooting will be improved with KM and JB on the floor and we will not only have mutliple options in games - depth at every position - but our practices will be much more competitive and therefore our better players will be more battle-tested or game-ready.

Wouldn't it be great if we had a freshman breakthrough for starter minutes second semester with all of the solid returnees

I would love to hear that JB has bulked up some. He just looked so thin in the warm ups last year. He is said to be a great defender, but I would love to see him stronger up top.

mhg

What is interesting as well is that I was told JB would be competing for playing time as DE is really coming along. That to me is good thing.

What is interesting as well is that I was told JB would be competing for playing time as DE is really coming along. That to me is good thing.

JB is also working very hard in the weight room and has already added about 15 pounds of muscle since he arrived and he is working hard on his game as well. I think everyone on the team will compete for minutes. The early 20 practices over 10 days in August before the Canada trip will help everyone become more familiar with the offensive and defensive schemes and the 5 games will give the staff opportunities to test various groups of players together. I recently met with several of the coaches, including our newest member, and they are excited about next year. I was very impressed by Whitesell and I have always loved Al Jensen and Coach seems upbeat and can't wait until he can start practice in August. They are still recruiting!

JB is also working very hard in the weight room and has already added about 15 pounds of muscle since he arrived and he is working hard on his game as well. I think everyone on the team will compete for minutes. The early 20 practices over 10 days in August before the Canada trip will help everyone become more familiar with the offensive and defensive schemes and the 5 games will give the staff opportunities to test various groups of players together. I recently met with several of the coaches, including our newest member, and they are excited about next year. I was very impressed by Whitesell and I have always loved Al Jensen and Coach seems upbeat and can't wait until he can start practice in August. They are still recruiting!

That is exactly what they told me. When I met with them Whitesell had not moved here yet so I didn't get to meet him but they are very excited to have him on board. Apparently he brings a different skill set to the table than Porter. Also it was made very clear that they are not done recruiting evidenced by the past two weeks. Another positive is that it keeps the people on this board who think they know about the recruiting process and claim RM is lazy and not recruiting quiet for a little while.

That is exactly what they told me. When I met with them Whitesell had not moved here yet so I didn't get to meet him but they are very excited to have him on board. Apparently he brings a different skill set to the table than Porter. Also it was made very clear that they are not done recruiting evidenced by the past two weeks. Another positive is that it keeps the people on this board who think they know about the recruiting process and claim RM is lazy and not recruiting quiet for a little while.

So you mean Roy's attempt to compare Sodie's infamous "save the scholarship" approach to RM's recruiting strategy was way off base? Imagine that. :blink:

Billikan. As always, thanks for your insights. Any word as to when the new guys (JM and Glaze) will arrive on campus? Are the guys from last year staying in town over the summer?

Do you or anyone else know when the individual/small group workouts may start? I would assume not until after school starts, right?

Billikan and Pelican the info is much appreciated. I know Ellis is in Australia now but was he able to lift and engage in basketball activites or was he still recovering from surgery? I would really like to see him return to his peak form with no set backs.

Don't lie...Majerus is the laziest mother f'er this side of the Mississippi! Everybody knows that much.

Clock, most of the guys are on-campus now taking summer courses.

Billikan and Pelican the info is much appreciated. I know Ellis is in Australia now but was he able to lift and engage in basketball activites or was he still recovering from surgery? I would really like to see him return to his peak form with no set backs.

All they told me is that CE is 3 weeks ahead of schedule. They know they need him healthy and is a key to success.

So you mean Roy's attempt to compare Sodie's infamous "save the scholarship" approach to RM's recruiting strategy was way off base? Imagine that. :blink:

you think you could post the link to when i said this? i think you again taking something out of context or flat out lying. but if you can post the link to prove i am wrong and indeed said rickma was recruiting like soderberg it would be greatly appreciated.

better yet, i have purposely been trying to stay out of the fray the last few weeks. why dont you just leave my name out of your attempts to flame and i will agree to continue to lay low. deal? meanwhile, thanks for being a snake.

you think you could post the link to when i said this? i think you again taking something out of context or flat out lying. but if you can post the link to prove i am wrong and indeed said rickma was recruiting like soderberg it would be greatly appreciated.

better yet, i have purposely been trying to stay out of the fray the last few weeks. why dont you just leave my name out of your attempts to flame and i will agree to continue to lay low. deal? meanwhile, thanks for being a snake.

Please dont get into this. Just ignore each other.

Please dont get into this. Just ignore each other.

westy i didnt start this. but you are right. i shouldnt sink to the level of our "ace". i apologize to the board for my above post.

You were very talkative about recruiting after the Bills miss on Chievous, yet became very quiet after RM's latest recruiting success. That speaks volumes. You had no problem stirring it up with your "save the scholarships" nonsense.

Anyways, My bold prediction for next year is that Ellis takes a big step forward as an upperclassman and averages 14 and 7. I really feel he is poised to have a breakout season. With our depth it might be tough to reach those numbers but I think you will see him do a little more damage on the boards and inside the arc. At least this is what im hoping.