Martin Bruenig

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Rules of engagement on contacting if he has not been released from his LOI?

Pretty sure it's hands off until release is approved/accepted by the school. However, this won't stop some coaches from trying to sneak in the back door. From the videos this kid looks like cash money.

Pretty sure it's hands off until release is approved/accepted by the school. However, this won't stop some coaches from trying to sneak in the back door. From the videos this kid looks like cash money.

I sure hope we don't have any coaches that play with boys' back doors.

Let's see... If only we had an assistant coach who was not officially an assistant coach and thereby subject to NCAA regulations... Porter would be subject to NCAA but an unofficial asst coach not.

Who did the heavy lifting with Sean Kowal? Would that have been Porter?

NH. No. You're right. Everything would be better with Porter. RM is lazy. What more proof do we need in that we still don't have an assistant coach...

Wasn't sure if this was posted anywhere but he is no longer going to attend Maryland. We were in his top 3 when he committed. Sounds like he would be a nice pickup

Would be great if it happened, but I'm taking it one-step at a time. Maryland still has to release the kid.

Let's see... If only we had an assistant coach who was not officially an assistant coach and thereby subject to NCAA regulations... Porter would be subject to NCAA but an unofficial asst coach not.

Who did the heavy lifting with Sean Kowal? Would that have been Porter?

NH. No. You're right. Everything would be better with Porter. RM is lazy. What more proof do we need in that we still don't have an assistant coach...

Coincidentally, the internet (Twitter and Terps forums) makes it sound like Breunig is miffed about Turgeon replacing an assistant coach that Breunig was close to. And oddly enough, we need another assistant coach.

Coincidentally, the internet (Twitter and Terps forums) makes it sound like Breunig is miffed about Turgeon replacing an assistant coach that Breunig was close to. And oddly enough, we need another assistant coach.

Seriously doubt Majerus hires a coach just to land one recruit, but if the guy is qualified go for it.

Keith Booth is one that is definitely out. He was included in one report I read about Breunig. Booth isn't quite qualified for a top ac.

Reports are that Rob Ehsan might be out. That'd be a good hire.

Seriously doubt Majerus hires a coach just to land one recruit, but if the guy is qualified go for it.

If the assistant coach is qualified and the staff believes this kid is the missing piece to put this team among the top 25, it is a no-brainer. In the last 4+ decades, SLU hasn't had many cracks at major success.

Keith Booth is one that is definitely out. He was included in one report I read about Breunig. Booth isn't quite qualified for a top ac.

Reports are that Rob Ehsan might be out. That'd be a good hire.

Other than knowing Booth's name from his playing days, I don't know anything about either Ehsan or Booth as coaches. But looking at their bios on the Terps basketball homepage, they look roughly similar in experience. I'm not sure either is ready for a top asst. job, but they certainly look like they could fit as a mid-level assistant.

If the assistant coach is qualified and the staff believes this kid is the missing piece to put this team among the top 25, it is a no-brainer. In the last 4+ decades, SLU hasn't had many cracks at major success.

I agree. I did some quick internet research and it seemed like there were a number of Big East and ACC teams going after him including Cincy, Marquette, South Florida, Virginia.

Can one of the moderators change his last name in the title of the thread, I spelled it wrong.

I agree. I did some quick internet research and it seemed like there were a number of Big East and ACC teams going after him including Cincy, Marquette, South Florida, Virginia.

Can one of the moderators change his last name in the title of the thread, I spelled it wrong.

It would be great to get him, but as you say there are a number of BCS suitors out there. I don't like our chances.

It would be great to get him, but as you say there are a number of BCS suitors out there. I don't like our chances.

Yeah our chances are probably pretty slim. I do know that Al Jensen was the lead recruiter on him though, which will hopefully help.

Hopefully Maryland puts a clause in his release that prevents him from going to another ACC school. At least that will knock Virginia out of the sweepstakes.

We were in his final 3 the first time around and presumably Moser wasn't the lead recruiter. We haven't added any additional big men since his recruitment and in reality have lost WR who would have taken the vast majority of his potential minutes. I like our chances, especially considering foreign kids typically aren't as enamored with BCS as U.S. kids are.

We were in his final 3 the first time around and presumably Moser wasn't the lead recruiter. We haven't added any additional big men since his recruitment and in reality have lost WR who would have taken the vast majority of his potential minutes. I like our chances, especially considering foreign kids typically aren't as enamored with BCS as U.S. kids are.

Very fair points, but it sounds like he was a bit under the radar when we were in his top 3. Now, he has jumped into the top 150 rankings (whatever that might mean is debatable) and is clearly on the radar of BCS schools during a time when BCS schools are very hungry to fill up the last couple of roster spots.

I'm too jaded by SLU's history v. BCS schools to give us a fair shot. I hope you're right and I'm wrong.

Is this kid a legitimate PF? Could he play alongside Loe? I think with playing DE at the 3 it give us more flexibility in our frontcourt spots. A class of Manning, Breunig and Winters would be huge for this coaching staff heading forward.

Very fair points, but it sounds like he was a bit under the radar when we were in his top 3. Now, he has jumped into the top 150 rankings (whatever that might mean is debatable) and is clearly on the radar of BCS schools during a time when BCS schools are very hungry to fill up the last couple of roster spots.

I'm too jaded by SLU's history v. BCS schools to give us a fair shot. I hope you're right and I'm wrong.

Our recent history with foreign kids is Cody Ellis choosing SLU over Wake Forest and Colorado and Rob Loe picking us over Arizona, Pitt and G-Tech.

Our recent history with foreign kids is Cody Ellis choosing SLU over Wake Forest and Colorado and Rob Loe picking us over Arizona, Pitt and G-Tech.

Great point. But with those 2, we had connections in the region that helped us out (Harriman, CS).

The point remains that foreign kids might be a different animal when it comes to the SLU/BCS recruiting battle and that could work in our favor. I have a little more hope now. Thanks, kshoe.

How many BCS schools have an open schollie mid May? Add onto that the probability that Maryland stipulates he not go to an ACC school and I think our chances are better than fair. This could be a huge coup for SLU.

I just hope the staff is on this guy as soon as possible. If we don't get him, that's fine as long as we try. I really don't see a reason not to try. He's rated as a top player and signed with a top 3 or 4 ACC school. ESPN's recruiting report on him makes it seem like he does have the strength to play down low, it just might take him a while to adjust. It would be easier for him to adjust in the A-10 compared to the ACC, despite the fact that the A-10 has been on the rise recently.

How many BCS schools have an open schollie mid May? Add onto that the probability that Maryland stipulates he not go to an ACC school and I think our chances are better than fair. This could be a huge coup for SLU.

Who knows how correct these twitter reports and message board forums are, but I've seen Washington, Cincy, Marquette, and South Florida as names out there.

I agree that Maryland probably stipulates that he not go to an ACC school, which would help.

This kid, this late, would be a real get for SLU.

I just hope the staff is on this guy as soon as possible. If we don't get him, that's fine as long as we try. I really don't see a reason not to try. He's rated as a top player and signed with a top 3 or 4 ACC school. ESPN's recruiting report on him makes it seem like he does have the strength to play down low, it just might take him a while to adjust. It would be easier for him to adjust in the A-10 compared to the ACC, despite the fact that the A-10 has been on the rise recently.

I'm fairly certain we'll recruit him as hard as possible. Da-love is somehow connected and post #2 says it all.