Gregory leaving Dayton for Georgia Tech

TheBand

Amazing how a crappy coach can find his way into an ACC job if he gets a little lucky.

I wonder if Staten will think about returning to Dayton now that Gregory is gone.

How is he any better than Hewitt? Maybe the GT AD thought, "If I can't get one A-10 Coach (Mooney) I'll just substitute another? They're interchangeable right?"

This is really stupid if true. Gregory's peak was last year .... and that was an NIT title. Hope Georgia Tech enjoys this lunacy. The program was imploding at Dayton. Top 100 recruits Spearman and Staten leaving. Other rumblings in the core. I can't see how this makes Tech any better equipped to compete in the ACC. I would've thought Mooney or Smart or Mack or Stevens --- somebody who's done something in the bigger picture. How lucky do you think Gregory feels today?

He probably was in line to get canned in the near future (next couple years) at Dayton. This is baffling.

Cockstrong shall miss his little buddie in Dayton. As long as Gregory was on the bench, even an undermanned Billikens squad had a shot against UD.

I just hope we can get GT on the schedule next year. Beating any BCS team is good for the RPI, and we all know its a guaranteed W.

This is really stupid if true. Gregory's peak was last year .... and that was an NIT title. Hope Georgia Tech enjoys this lunacy. The program was imploding at Dayton. Top 100 recruits Spearman and Staten leaving. Other rumblings in the core. I can't see how this makes Tech any better equipped to compete in the ACC. I would've thought Mooney or Smart or Mack or Stevens --- somebody who's done something in the bigger picture. How lucky do you think Gregory feels today?

Gregory probably feels the same as Romar did when he shed those fake tears at his final SLU press conference. Then, again, maybe those were actually tears of joy having secured not only a PAC 10 job but also his alma mater job after weeks of hard work suppressing the news of Randy Pulley's failing grades (our only recruit that year), of Jason Edwin's failing out of school, of Floyd McClain's leaving, of John Seyfort being so homesick that he leaves the program and of our local and prized recruit, Nick Kern, not making grades/SAT scores. All after having inherited a strong and veteran team from Spoonhour, top recruits coming in like Justin Love and Marquee Perry, recent NCAA success in one of the better conferences.

Those people didn't want the job.

Wow...he should have waited...

I could see UD going after Shaka Smart. They have the fan base and could come up with the $$. Remember UD hoops is the only game in town and Smart would be a huge hire for them. Of course, whether he'd take that job over a Missouri, NC State, or any other open BCS job is questionable. By the way Debbie Yow supposedly said NC State is setting it's sights high. Two names mentioned Barnes of TX and Pitino. Doubtful Pitino will ever leave UL though. But my guess is Shaka Smart's the guy to keep an eye on after the Final 4.

I could see UD going after Shaka Smart. They have the fan base and could come up with the $$. Remember UD hoops is the only game in town and Smart would be a huge hire for them. Of course, whether he'd take that job over a Missouri, NC State, or any other open BCS job is questionable. By the way Debbie Yow supposedly said NC State is setting it's sights high. Two names mentioned Barnes of TX and Pitino. Doubtful Pitino will ever leave UL though. But my guess is Shaka Smart's the guy to keep an eye on after the Final 4.

Smart is going bigger than Dayton.

Thus far, Yow has been turned down more times than most posters here by SLU co-eds.

My YouDee connections says they are going after Steve Alford (New Mexico) or Jerry Wainwright (fired at DePaul and replaced by ex-YouDee head Ollie Purnell). I can't see Alford doing it. He's done his time in Spingfield, Missouri, would you trade Albuquerque for Dayton. Wainwright?!?! Fired at DePaul for an ex-YouDeer. I can't see the sweater vests aiming so low. Plus Wainwright was ancient at NC-Wilmington. How bad did dePaul suck the life blood out of him? I agree with 72 that the sweater vest crowd probably think Smart would LOVE to come to Dayton. I mean, who doesn't, right????? But I agree with courtside even more, that Smart has his sights set higher and I sincerely doubt its Dayton.

Dayton wil play Miami and is always bitching how Ohio State and Cincinnati ought to come to town and play them. Yet they don't book cross-town rival (because they don't it that way) Wright State. That fued sounds a lot like us and Mizzou.

My YouDee connections says they are going after Steve Alford (New Mexico) or Jerry Wainwright (fired at DePaul and replaced by ex-YouDee head Ollie Purnell). I can't see Alford doing it. He's done his time in Spingfield, Missouri, would you trade Albuquerque for Dayton. Wainwright?!?! Fired at DePaul for an ex-YouDeer. I can't see the sweater vests aiming so low. Plus Wainwright was ancient at NC-Wilmington. How bad did dePaul suck the life blood out of him? I agree with 72 that the sweater vest crowd probably think Smart would LOVE to come to Dayton. I mean, who doesn't, right????? But I agree with courtside even more, that Smart has his sights set higher and I sincerely doubt its Dayton.

Dayton wil play Miami and is always bitching how Ohio State and Cincinnati ought to come to town and play them. Yet they don't book cross-town rival (because they don't it that way) Wright State. That fued sounds a lot like us and Mizzou.

Yes. Similar but different than us to Mizzou. Here in Missouri, we of course, only have 3 top D1 schools (SLU, Mizzou and MO State). In Southwestern Ohio alone, there are more schools than in Missouri: UD, X, Cincy, Wright State and Miami. In fairness to Ohio State, they also get demand for games by the rest of the state: Ohio U, Kent State, Toledo, Akron, Cleveland State as well as their other directional schools.

Yes. Similar but different than us to Mizzou. Here in Missouri, we of course, only have 3 top D1 schools (SLU, Mizzou and MO State). In Southwestern Ohio alone, there are more schools than in Missouri: UD, X, Cincy, Wright State and Miami. In fairness to Ohio State, they also get demand for games by the rest of the state: Ohio U, Kent State, Toledo, Akron, Cleveland State as well as their other directional schools.

Don't forget about Franciscan University in beautiful Stubenville!

Seesm the GT fans are split over what the Gregory hire means to their program:

http://blogs.ajc.com/mark-bradley-blog/2011/03/28/techs-brian-gregory-not-a-hot-guy-but-hell-bring-the-heat/

In the meantime, Dayton's AD Wabler wants to make a "shining moment" but can't get the lights on at the Triple D for hi s meeting with the media. I find it nothing more thna symbolic. Funny, but only symbolic:

http://www.daytondailynews.com/dayton-sports/university-of-dayton-flyers/wabler-wants-shining-moment-1120810.html

Not surprisingly, Wabler is not naming names so he's not setting his bar too high right now. But that doesn't stop th emedia speculation from taking off.

http://www.daytondailynews.com/dayton-sports/university-of-dayton-flyers/whos-on-the-list-to-replace-gregory--1120798.html

Given the list, I'd palce the early lead on Lusk from Purdue. Although it would be really cool to see them pick Collins from Duke. It would give me jsut another viable reason to hate Dayton and wish for their failure and see Collins get away from bodyguarding Coach K and maybe share the same successful trek as Qiunny posted at ol' Mizzou.

Rumor has it that UD might offer Randy Bennett of St. Mary's the job...wasn't he an assistant coach at SLU at some point? I was fairly young at the time, but I seem to remember his name floating around...