Majerus on 101.1

ACE

Yes I heard it but he also said that with BC and KC not returning so I think he was talking about the 2012-13 season. He had also talked about CR in a couple of prior interviews and I just do not see him pushing him out. I maybe see a possible redshirt conversation or a heart to heart about what maay be the problem. CR has the athletic ability and I think RM thinks the same thing but cannot figure out the lack of urgency. He started about the last 5 games so he must have been showing something in practice. RM has always said he starts the 5 that show the most in practice and are the most prepared to play at that time. I am not ready to give up on CR and I would be surprised if RM does.

It was a confusing few sentences, but that's what I gathered. Something like "everybody will be back but cassity and conklin and we have one recruit coming in and will get another."

That's what I was thinking. Very risky to have Cory transfer. He's a very solid backup center, which is valuable to a team as undersized as ours (minus Willie).

Maybe. Cory couldn't even be on the floor the last game of the season (RI), which is very concerning. He showed a couple of flashes in a couple of games this year, but I don't think his services are going to be needed in the future. At 6'8, he hasn't shown that he has what it takes to play here. I have a hard time believing that Manning couln't assume CR's role next year. If we a have a recruit to take his place, I say go for it.

I just listened to the interview online and re-listened to the parts about the Remekun and the additional recruits. I didn't get any sense that Majerus is going to run off Corey; in fact, I took away the exact opposite. I also concur that the additional recruit was in reference to the 2012-13 season because it was mentioned in the same statement about Conklin and Cassity being the only ones who wouldn't return.

I know it is the nature of message boards, but the rumors that Corey will be leaving should probably stop. Everything coach said today suggests the whole team will be back, and that Willie will be welcome back if he can get the grades. And as much as I want, hope, and expect Willie back, if he can't get the grades he shouldn't be back.

I just listened to the interview online and re-listened to the parts about the Remekun and the additional recruits. I didn't get any sense that Majerus is going to run off Corey; in fact, I took away the exact opposite. I also concur that the additional recruit was in reference to the 2012-13 season because it was mentioned in the same statement about Conklin and Cassity being the only ones who wouldn't return.

I know it is the nature of message boards, but the rumors that Corey will be leaving should probably stop. Everything coach said today suggests the whole team will be back, and that Willie will be welcome back if he can get the grades. And as much as I want, hope, and expect Willie back, if he can't get the grades he shouldn't be back.

I agree. I just listened to it and it sounded more like he wanted to light a fire under Remeken rather than run him off.

The comment about another recruit was in the context of Cassity and Conklin leaving.

I have a hard time believing that Manning couln't assume CR's role next year.

I think it is a bit exuberant to think that Manning as a freshman will give us the same level of physical / athletic play on defense we shall get from Cory as a junior. Manning is going to get pushed around his freshman year although I'll certainly agree with you that Manning has much more upside than Cory. Manning is supposed to be raw so we shall see what we have when he arrives on campus. I'd love to find out that my expectations were too pessimistic for his freshman year but rarely does a big come into SLU and make an immediate impact.

I think it is a bit exuberant to think that Manning as a freshman will give us the same level of physical / athletic play on defense we shall get from Cory as a junior. Manning is going to get pushed around his freshman year although I'll certainly agree with you that Manning has much more upside than Cory. Manning is supposed to be raw so we shall see what we have when he arrives on campus. I'd love to find out that my expectations were too pessimistic for his freshman year but rarely does a big come into SLU and make an immediate impact.

I'd be shocked if Manning doesn't redshirt next year.

I agree. I just listened to it and it sounded more like he wanted to light a fire under Remeken rather than run him off.

The comment about another recruit was in the context of Cassity and Conklin leaving.

Perhaps. It is just that I have noticed that RM has been saying these things about CR the last few times he has been on Bernie's show. When he mentioned he is going to have another conversation with him, it just made my ears perk up right away. Maybe I read a little too much into that.

Has anyone heard a name of an Australian recruit? Majerus talked about it at the beginning of the season.

I assume the Brugeira kid that is going to Maryland was the kid Jensen went to Europe to watch. Only other big man name I've heard for this year is Connell Crossland, former haz Central product. We've offered several big men in the c/o 12 Granger, couple from Indiana, Wisc, and Illinois.

Maybe my opinion is a little skewed from the last game, which was probably CR's worst of the year. I wasn't trying to say that Manning would step in and make an impact; I don't believe he will either (obviously would be awesome if he did). My point was that CR doesn't bring much to the table and has shown little improvement over 2 years, so his role could probably be assumed by Manning (assuming at least CE, RL, BC are good for lots of minutes next year).

Perhaps. It is just that I have noticed that RM has been saying these things about CR the last few times he has been on Bernie's show. When he mentioned he is going to have another conversation with him, it just made my ears perk up right away. Maybe I read a little too much into that.

I have noticed the same thing in previous interviews, so I read it the same way you did, but we'll find out soon enough how it plays out. Maybe the meetings with Cory are simply motivational. I just thought it was odd that Majerus said the only player whose arrow did not point up this season was CR. To me, CS would also fall into that category. His season was very disappointing. Regarding RM's recruiting comment, I went back and listened again and I'm still not sure what Majerus was getting at. If he wasn't talking about Manning and adding another recruit now, then what he is saying is that they already have somebody committed for the class of 2012.

I have noticed the same thing in previous interviews, so I read it the same way you did, but we'll find out soon enough how it plays out. Maybe the meetings with Cory are simply motivational. I just thought it was odd that Majerus said the only player whose arrow did not point up this season was CR. To me, CS would also fall into that category. His season was very disappointing. Regarding RM's recruiting comment, I went back and listened again and I'm still not sure what Majerus was getting at. If he wasn't talking about Manning and adding another recruit now, then what he is saying is that they already have somebody committed for the class of 2012.

I don't see how CE does not fall in that category either. I thought CR was at least as good as he was last year. CE got significantly worse.

I bet he mis-spoke. It wouldn't be the first time.

I don't see how CE does not fall in that category either. I thought CR was at least as good as he was last year. CE got significantly worse.

CE was significantly worse than last year? Disagree on that. His shooting wasn't what we expected, but I thought he improved in most every other aspect of his game. When he got hurt, his energy level on the defensive end was at an all-time high for him at SLU. In fact, we was injured diving for a loose ball and getting landed on by a couple of X players.

Maybe. Cory couldn't even be on the floor the last game of the season (RI), which is very concerning. He showed a couple of flashes in a couple of games this year, but I don't think his services are going to be needed in the future. At 6'8, he hasn't shown that he has what it takes to play here. I have a hard time believing that Manning couln't assume CR's role next year. If we a have a recruit to take his place, I say go for it.

I disagree completely. He was a solid defender, he gets out of position on defense and his help defense lapses occassionally, and he also showed some promise on the offensive end towards the end of the year. Unless the recruit is a JuCo or a real developed high school player, it is unlikely that we will get an equal return by next year.

Also, aren't WR and CR friends. What if CR being pushed out causes WR to leave... .it may have happened with John Smith. That would be a big mistake.

I disagree completely. He was a solid defender, he gets out of position on defense and his help defense lapses occassionally, and he also showed some promise on the offensive end towards the end of the year. Unless the recruit is a JuCo or a real developed high school player, it is unlikely that we will get an equal return by next year.

Also, aren't WR and CR friends. What if CR being pushed out causes WR to leave... .it may have happened with John Smith. That would be a big mistake.

My understanding was that the coaches wanted Smif to stay and liked his upside, but that he thought it would be better for him to go to another school where he could get more minutes and have a chance to be a star.

I bet he mis-spoke. It wouldn't be the first time.

With Majerus' rambling style it certainly is possible, but a lot of times I think he says things for a reason. Based on some of his postseason comments last year, I recall thinking that Jordan wouldn't be back and that he was going to sign somebody else - which turned out to be Jett. The last thing I want to do is start unfounded rumors, so I'll drop it. It is possible I misread or read too much into some of his comments. We'll see how it plays out. Personally, my hope is that everybody is back.

With Majerus' rambling style it certainly is possible, but a lot of times I think he says things for a reason. Based on some of his postseason comments last year, I recall thinking that Jordan wouldn't be back and that he was going to sign somebody else - which turned out to be Jett. The last thing I want to do is start unfounded rumors, so I'll drop it. It is possible I misread or read too much into some of his comments. We'll see how it plays out. Personally, my hope is that everybody is back.

Wasn't it PM who said they were looking at a recruit in Australia? Or was it mentioned on TV? And who knows what year that guy may show up. All this transfer or run off talk should be put way back in the closet until someone actually announces something. What good does it serve for a bunch of speculating fans to be tossing names about as to who's not good enough, being recruited over, or unhappy about something?

If we were to get a big, I hope it's a player not in the Aussie/NZ mold. I love Rob, but we need a different skillset in our next big (whether that's WR, a juco or other recruit)

Agreed. Maybe this Aussie is more in the Andrew Bogut mold. :D Even with Willie, our biggest need remains a physical big.

Id take a Luc Longley in a heart beat

Yes. Now, he could be referring to Chievous, who may end up going the prep school route. Thus, it may not mean that he has to 'force' CR out. However, he could be discussing another player and that would indictate that he is thinking about telling CR that it is best to look elsewhere. All I know is it is going to bring up a lot of speculation on the board! ;)

Chievous is not looking the prep route anymore and is keeping SLU high on his list as he nears a decision - this is what people I have spoke with in the chicago area close to his high school team and him. He could be a great get for us.

Chievous is not looking the prep route anymore and is keeping SLU high on his list as he nears a decision - this is what people I have spoke with in the chicago area close to his high school team and him. He could be a great get for us.

Thanks for the info.

Good to hear. Don't know much about the kid but everything I've heard has been great.

<br />Chievous is not looking the prep route anymore and is keeping SLU high on his list as he nears a decision - this is what people I have spoke with in the chicago area close to his high school team and him. He could be a great get for us.<br />

<br /><br /><br /> Why would he be a great get? We need a GOOD BIG man. We already have two 6'5" players.

Gee .... when I put CR on my all-worst team on another thread, I got taken to task for it. If John Manning can't replace what Cory Remekun "gives" us, then both need to be gone. I do not measure CR's contributions in much, if any, positive manners other than another athletic body with five fouls to give. However, you can't redshirt both Manning and Remekun with or without Reed. And Reed needs a break five minutes into the game. The back line remains considerably weak unless all three are there and can get better with someone replacing Remekun.

Giving what he has given us to date..... well that's pretty weak no matter how many silver linings or glimmers you search for.