Evans all Frosh A-10-Rook of the year?

slu72

The assisted passes part makes sense to me. It seems like DE is very good at being in the right place at the right time. Therefore, he'll get passes that lead to points. For example I think he's good at getting into the seams of zones or underneath zones to get open. Also his long arms can corral in somewhat errant passes to make plays others can't.

If I remember correctly, he just may have a 7' wing span. Don't take my word for it.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

-this can't be roy proving his own statement as being incorrect, something is wrong, very very wrong

i know you have always had trouble reading, but to help you out i said, "It seems to me most of his points come on offensive rebounds". i.e. just a guess, i didnt know. willie said he thought otherwise, and my rebounding guess was probably second.

we were both wrong on our guesses.

but you keep working on your reading comprehension. someday you might be able to successfully read a book.

went through all the game trackers and play by plays and box scores.

evans has 82 shots made on the season.

40 have been made off of assisted passes (by definition, an assist is only to be credited if no dribble)

28 off dribble moves by dwayne

14 on putbacks by dwayne

I've only witnessed two games, X and Richmond, so maybe I was talking thru my you know what. What I saw in those two games seemed to be putbacks and off passes. I can't recall seeing him get the ball on the wing then slashing to the hoop for a pullup jumper, a layup, or a slam. But I'll stand corrected as I really don't care how he scores his points just as long as he gets them. However, I will say to be an above average 3 player you've got to be able to slash from the wing or have a 3 or mid range game the D respects. If he works on these over the off season, he could be very special. He's already in the special category.

i know you have always had trouble reading, but to help you out i said, "It seems to me most of his points come on offensive rebounds". i.e. just a guess, i didnt know. willie said he thought otherwise, and my rebounding guess was probably second.

but you keep working on your reading comprehension. someday you might be able to successfully read a book.

-a book with pictures?

How was I wrong on my guess? I said he scored most of his points on drives to the basket with rebounding a distant second.

How was I wrong on my guess? I said he scored most of his points on drives to the basket with rebounding a distant second.

drives to the basket was second. by far most of his points were on assisted passes. by definition, an assist cannot be earned if the scorer puts the ball on the floor.

drives to the basket was second. by far most of his points were on assisted passes. by definition, an assist cannot be earned if the scorer puts the ball on the floor.

I donkt believe that is true. If Evans is cutting to the basket and takes a pass and goes around his man I would call that a drive and an assist could be earned.

Unlike hockey, where two assists can be given on a goal, an assist in basketball leads to a direct basket. Once the receiving player dribbles the ball, even once, the assist is gone. Dwayne Wade throws a full court pass to Lebron for the catch-n-jamm, assist Wade. Wade throws a pass that Lebron cacthes at the foul line, dribbles once and jams, no assist. He improved his own posiiton by dribbling to get to the basket.

Agree with roy's definition on this. And I suspect its the rulebook definition as well.

Unlike hockey, where two assists can be given on a goal, an assist in basketball leads to a direct basket. Once the receiving player dribbles the ball, even once, the assist is gone. Dwayne Wade throws a full court pass to Lebron for the catch-n-jamm, assist Wade. Wade throws a pass that Lebron cacthes at the foul line, dribbles once and jams, no assist. He improved his own posiiton by dribbling to get to the basket.

Agree with roy's definition on this. And I suspect its the rulebook definition as well.

That is absolutely correct. A catch and shoot for 3 will result in an assist. A catch, pump-fake, dribble once then shoot will not result in an assist, even if the shooter did not move from his original spot. Once the player puts the ball on the court the assist is gone. If this rule was taken away assists would become way too subjective and easy to manipulate for statistical purposes.

That is absolutely correct. A catch and shoot for 3 will result in an assist. A catch, pump-fake, dribble once then shoot will not result in an assist, even if the shooter did not move from his original spot. Once the player puts the ball on the court the assist is gone. If this rule was taken away assists would become way too subjective and easy to manipulate for statistical purposes.

Sorry I don't buy it. Went to Wikipedia for assist definition. Anassist can be scored for the passer even if the player who receives the pass makes a basket after dribbling the ball. They go on to say the original definition did not allow a dribble but it has changed over time.

Sorry I don't buy it. Went to Wikipedia for assist definition. Anassist can be scored for the passer even if the player who receives the pass makes a basket after dribbling the ball. They go on to say the original definition did not allow a dribble but it has changed over time.

I will eat crow, willie. I didn't go to Wikipedia but instead found a section of the NCAA rulebook defining an assist. It states that the amount of dribbles should not matter when counting an assist. The main factor of determining an assist is if the shooter has to make any further efforts to make the shot other than receiving the pass. Basically, the shot has to be a fluid continuation of the pass. So, finding an open cutter who dribbles once and lays it in WOULD be an assist.

Basically, if a basket occurs directly because of the pass, an assist will be rewarded. Therefore, while the NCAA has outlined many scenarios determining what is and isn't an assist, it is more subjective than I previously thought.

Assists are like errors in baseball. Each scorer has their own interpretation of what it amounts to. I'd say nowadays if you dribble more than 3 times after receiving a pass it is unlikely that an assist will be recorded. Anything less than that and 1 will be.

Evans has only recently used the dribble drive as his go to move. Earlier in the year you would only see it maybe once a game and he was settling for jumpers. Now 18 feet and in he's going to the hole.

-from the ncaa official basketball statisticians' manual

SECTION 5ASSISTS

A player is credited with an assist when the player makes, in

the judgment of the statistician, the principal pass contributing

directly to a field goal (or an awarded score of two or three

points). Only one assist is to be credited on any field goal and

only when the pass was a major part of the play. The same player

cannot be credited with an assist and a field goal made on

the same possession.

Such a pass should be either (a) a pass that finds a player free

after he or she has maneuvered without the ball for a positional

advantage, or (B) a pass that gives the receiving player a positional

advantage he or she otherwise would not have had.

Philosophy. An assist should be more than a routine pass

that just happens to be followed by a field goal. It should be a

conscious effort to find the open player or to help a player work

free. There should not be a limit on the number of dribbles by

the receiver. It is not even necessary that the assist be given

on the last pass. There is no restraint on the distance or type of

shot made, for these are not the crucial factors in determining

whether an assist should be credited.

-i did not add the emotioncon, somehting in the copy function

-from the ncaa official basketball statisticians' manual

SECTION 5—ASSISTS

A player is credited with an assist when the player makes, in

the judgment of the statistician, the principal pass contributing

directly to a field goal (or an awarded score of two or three

points). Only one assist is to be credited on any field goal and

only when the pass was a major part of the play. The same player

cannot be credited with an assist and a field goal made on

the same possession.

Such a pass should be either (a) a pass that finds a player free

after he or she has maneuvered without the ball for a positional

advantage, or (B) a pass that gives the receiving player a positional

advantage he or she otherwise would not have had.

Philosophy. An assist should be more than a routine pass

that just happens to be followed by a field goal. It should be a

conscious effort to find the open player or to help a player work

free. There should not be a limit on the number of dribbles by

the receiver. It is not even necessary that the assist be given

on the last pass. There is no restraint on the distance or type of

shot made, for these are not the crucial factors in determining

whether an assist should be credited.

-i did not add the emotioncon, somehting in the copy function

interesting...

Regardless of how assists are defined, I think we can all agree that DE has shown the ability to penetrate off the dribble and finish in traffic. And Roy's stats (good research) indicate that the majority of his points generated by himself are off driving to the basket. Unless Roy can match video to his baskets, I would contend that many of his points off assists also stem from him cutting to the basket without the ball, which is another thing he does well.

to me slashing to the basket means driving with dribble drive moves and complete ownership of the points made.

if an assist is credited, then imo the above isnt the case.

i agree completely that dwayne evans moves great without the ball, that he is great at catching the ball and great at making intermediate distance to bunny distance shots.

that does not constitute slashing.

to me slashing to the basket means driving with dribble drive moves and complete ownership of the points made.

if an assist is credited, then imo the above isnt the case.

i agree completely that dwayne evans moves great without the ball, that he is great at catching the ball and great at making intermediate distance to bunny distance shots.

that does not constitute slashing.

You know, I have literally seen him slash to the basket over a dozen times. That means taking a man one-on-one off of the wing and going to the rim. He doesn't take it from the top of the key, but that is not required to still count as a slash. It is possibly the main improvement of his game this year, and it is why he has really become the starting 3.

You know, I have literally seen him slash to the basket over a dozen times. That means taking a man one-on-one off of the wing and going to the rim. He doesn't take it from the top of the key, but that is not required to still count as a slash. It is possibly the main improvement of his game this year, and it is why he has really become the starting 3.

I agree that he has made some effective slashing moves, particularly from the free throw line extended down to the baseline and to the basket. The key improvement in his game is his self confidence. He now wants the ball and makes confident and decisive moves and passes and he believes that every rebound is his. I loved him from the first practice on but he has really improved with that new confidence. He has also made some excellent shot blocks over the past few games, some of which were not credited. When he is in the game with Conklin and Remeken the other team has real problems matching up because he can dominate a player who is not a strong rebounder and Brian and Cory will be tough to handle for a smaller player. If Rob is in there that creates an additional matchup issue because of his outside shooting. Think about how good it would be if we had Willie? On the other hand, if we had Willie would Dwayne have developed as fast--who knows but I am sure glad we have our frosh. They are good now and have terrific potential.

I agree that he has made some effective slashing moves, particularly from the free throw line extended down to the baseline and to the basket. The key improvement in his game is his self confidence. He now wants the ball and makes confident and decisive moves and passes and he believes that every rebound is his. I loved him from the first practice on but he has really improved with that new confidence. He has also made some excellent shot blocks over the past few games, some of which were not credited. When he is in the game with Conklin and Remeken the other team has real problems matching up because he can dominate a player who is not a strong rebounder and Brian and Cory will be tough to handle for a smaller player. If Rob is in there that creates an additional matchup issue because of his outside shooting. Think about how good it would be if we had Willie? On the other hand, if we had Willie would Dwayne have developed as fast--who knows but I am sure glad we have our frosh. They are good now and have terrific potential.

Billikan, I watched the video Steve posted. Would appreciate your impressions of McCall and Jett. McCall, quick as lightning? I've seen it before on the two games I've seen on TV. At first he didn't finish well, but against DU not a problem. Jett tough as nails. Will mix it up with anyone for a rebound. And is good getting it back up against the tall timbers? Still think he needs some work on judgement but that will come w/ experience. Fair or not fair? Let's not forget Loe. Starting to get the hang of D1 ball. Getting a little more aggressive around the hoop and on D? Combine that with his 3 point shot, we've got us a match up problem made in heaven?

Billikan, I watched the video Steve posted. Would appreciate your impressions of McCall and Jett. McCall, quick as lightning? I've seen it before on the two games I've seen on TV. At first he didn't finish well, but against DU not a problem. Jett tough as nails. Will mix it up with anyone for a rebound. And is good getting it back up against the tall timbers? Still think he needs some work on judgement but that will come w/ experience. Fair or not fair? Let's not forget Loe. Starting to get the hang of D1 ball. Getting a little more aggressive around the hoop and on D? Combine that with his 3 point shot, we've got us a match up problem made in heaven?

He's getting a lot more agressive on both ends of the floor. It's night and day from early in the season. Still has room for improvement, but compared to early on, he has taken it up a few notches. Going up against the aggressive play of DE and BC in practice probably has rubbed off on him.

He's getting a lot more agressive on both ends of the floor. It's night and day from early in the season. Still has room for improvement, but compared to early on, he has taken it up a few notches. Going up against the aggressive play of DE and BC in practice probably has rubbed off on him.

Loe would have been a perfect candidate for a red shirt had Willie not been suspended.

Regardless of how assists are defined, I think we can all agree that DE has shown the ability to penetrate off the dribble and finish in traffic. And Roy's stats (good research) indicate that the majority of his points generated by himself are off driving to the basket. Unless Roy can match video to his baskets, I would contend that many of his points off assists also stem from him cutting to the basket without the ball, which is another thing he does well.

In the last half dozen games or so he has been much more aggressive in catching the ball and in the same motion taking one dribble and going to the basket. His confidence is exploding and it seems like he believes he can score on anyone. It really is amazing to watch the improvement in this young player.

They have both had up and down games this year but they are also both playing much better now than at the beginning of the year. They still will make a frosh type turnover which will give you a little heartburn but that will be smoothed out and man are they talented on both ends of the floor. McCall is super quick and if he can just get his 3 point shot to be a little more consistant he will be almost impossible to cover once we have KM back in the lineup because with the two of them in the game the other team will not likely have two defenders who can cover talented and super quick guards who can go hard to the hoop and score from outside. McCall has also become an excellent on ball defender against the opposing point guards. Then if you add Jett, who is super athletic and tough either coming off the bench or even starting at times you will have something to see. Jett is probably one of the best rebounding guards at his size that we have ever had at SLU and he has a great court sense off the dribble and on the fast break. Mark this down as a prediction for next year, once the team gets settled in we may at times see a Villanova type lineup with KM, MM and JJ all on the court at the same time and if they play with Evans and Conklin (or Willie if he comes back!) who get the ball off the boards we will be off and running with the best of them. There were some bursts in the last game and once we get KM back we will run a lot more. We could also run a Wisconsin type big lineup with Loe, CE, Willie (or CR), Kyle C and Barnett. Wow! And Christian is playing very tough right now on defense and moving the ball on offense so you cannot leave him out and Manning may be a nice sub at the center position. Wow! I am really drinking the kool aid and this season is not even over!