View from Afar

Taj79

I'm amazed at the slack Majerus gets on this board. Yes he lost Mitchell and Reed, but for this team to be this bad in his 4th year is ridiculous. Guys get hurt, guys transfer and guys get suspended. It happens everywhere and the bottem doesn't have to drop out on the program. If Majerus is such a great recruiter what the heck are we looking at on the court? Where is the potential? He's paid a lot of money to bring in players and develop them. Not just 2 players but a team of players.

I do agree that this board isn't nearly critical enough of RM.

What will the team look like if he is gone? A lot like last night I imagine.

Also, I dont believe we get a Gillen-quality coach if RM walks away with little to no success.

Our offense resembles the offense under Soderberg. Pass around the perimeter and scramble when the shot clock hits 5. Defense is roughly equivalent. I believe we have talent, but once again under RM, the system is either too complicated, too exhausting, too boring, and/or just not the right fit. RM should have a more competitive team given the talent level.

Also, was not impressed with PM, but it's too early to judge.

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We don't start 3 juniors. Paul has started 1 game this year and generally plays the least amount of minutes of anybody. Normally, we start at least 2 freshmen, 1 sophomore, and 2 juniors, though we've also has a starting rotation of 4 freshman and 1 junior on multiple occasions.

Experience and youth are closely connected, so I think using that statistic is a very good way to judge the overall youth of the team.

Do you have a stat that would back up your claim that we're not one of the youngest (least experienced) teams in the country?

Did 3 juniors not start last night or am I wrong about that. As far as the link it does not support that the Bills are the 6th youngest team in D1. I'll await that link.

Also, I dont believe we get a Gillen-quality coach if RM walks away with little to no success.

Our offense resembles the offense under Soderberg. Pass around the perimeter and scramble when the shot clock hits 5. Defense is roughly equivalent. I believe we have talent, but once again under RM, the system is either too complicated, too exhausting, too boring, and/or just not the right fit. RM should have a more competitive team given the talent level.

+100 on the PM comment

Rick Majerus is one of the best bench coaches I've ever seen, especially at halftime adjustments. I made a mental note of that absence last night, as SLU came out in the 2nd Half in another dreaded Billiken Lull, which usually come later in halves when Majerus is there. Last night, the Lulls came at the beginnings of both halves. When Majerus is there, SLU often makes a big positive move at the start of the second half. His mentor Al McGuire said, "Games are won or lost at the start of the second half." That is so very true.

Please trust me- as a longtime Billiken fan and SLU alumnus (x2), who spent 7 years at SLU, SLU will not get a better overall Coach than Rick Majerus.

This being said, I would like to see a zone defense in the SLU defensive arsenal, especially when the team is outmanned by the opposition.

Did 3 juniors not start last night or am I wrong about that. As far as the link it does not support that the Bills are the 6th youngest team in D1. I'll await that link.

He did last night, but that was the only game of the entire season, which I mentioned previously. So to say "we have three junior starters" is not really accurate.

Actually, the "experience" factor as calculated by Pomeroy is based primarily on the age or year of the players, so once again, being the 338th least experienced team would indicate that we are one of the "youngest" teams in the country.

I'm still waiting for a link from you that would suggest we're as old as you say we are, other than your observation that we had 3 juniors start one game this entire season.

6th youngest team in D1?? You got a link to that??? The Bills started 3 Juniors, a sophmore and 1 freshman last night. That is hardly young by today's standards. What the heck makes you think this team would be top 30-40 with WR and KM? They are good but they are not that good. This team even with those guys would be lucky to make the NIT. The talent level is awful.

Link? It has been written in SL Post and stated by RM. Do you recall last yr we were youngest? Then WR and KM are taken away and we bring in 4 freshmen?

Last night was an atypical starting lineup (PE?), but we have started 3 freshmen most of the year, give or take.

Top 7 players, minutes played: freshmen are # 2 & 3, freshmen are 4 of top 7. Ellis (soph) is in top 7. Then 2 juniors. With KM and WR we would finally be "experienced", but would still have no real scholarship seniors.

A mess. Too bad.

Rick Majerus is one of the best bench coaches I've ever seen, especially at halftime adjustments. I made a mental note of that absence last night, as SLU came out in the 2nd Half in another dreaded Billiken Lull, which usually come later in halves when Majerus is there. Last night, the Lulls came at the beginnings of both halves. When Majerus is there, SLU often makes a big positive move at the start of the second half. His mentor Al McGuire said, "Games are won or lost at the start of the second half." That is so very true.

Please trust me- as a longtime Billiken fan and SLU alumnus (x2), who spent 7 years at SLU, SLU will not get a better overall Coach than Rick Majerus.

I don't doubt his acumen or credentials, but something isn't working and it isn't totally the players' fault. Our guys get killed off the dribble, would it hurt to zone up occasionally?

We actually had some nice transition points last night (not necessarily fast break), but it seems like the kids are almost taught to slow the ball regardless of the scoring opportunity. Some easy buckets would do this team a lot of good. Also, we cannot shoot the outside shot effectively so why do we have 4-5 guys on the perimeter so much? I've got to believe that RM is a good enough coach to find a better scheme for these players.

The kids usually seemed scared to make a mistake and as a result, they play tentatively.

I really believe that RM likes practice more than games because he gets the opportunity to unload his encyclopedic knowledge of the game. Well, I'm a fan, practice is a means to an end for me. I believe RM has essentially admitted he overloads his kids via practice. Also, there is the annual Xmas break debacle game that supports this.

Dayton didn't beat us last night. We lost to them. This was the second game in a row we played poorly. Had we just played average ...we win. Instead of 1-12 shooting 3's in the 1st half, we are 4-12(average) and make a couple of free throws....we win. We didn't need to bring our A game. Our C game would have been enough.

I don't think the A-10 is particularly strong this year. We can pretty much beat anyone in our league except maybe the top 3 teams...Temple, Richmond & Duq. If we bring our A game we even have a chance at beating Duq. at home.

The point is I don't think we will continue to shoot at an 8% level and therefore we will win our share of games.

I don't doubt his acumen or credentials, but something isn't working and it isn't totally the players' fault. Our guys get killed off the dribble, would it hurt to zone up occasionally?

We actually had some nice transition points last night (not necessarily fast break), but it seems like the kids are almost taught to slow the ball regardless of the scoring opportunity. Some easy buckets would do this team a lot of good. Also, we cannot shoot the outside shot effectively so why do we have 4-5 guys on the perimeter so much? I've got to believe that RM is a good enough coach to find a better scheme for these players.

The kids usually seemed scared to make a mistake and as a result, they play tentatively.

I really believe that RM likes practice more than games because he gets the opportunity to unload his encyclopedic knowledge of the game. Well, I'm a fan, practice is a means to an end for me. I believe RM has essentially admitted he overloads his kids via practice. Also, there is the annual Xmas break debacle game that supports this.

I agree that a zone should be added to the defensive arsenal, especially when the current SLU team is up against more athletic teams that beat the guards off dribble penetration and/or have the fluid 3's that have killed SLU for decades. The problem stopping the dribble drive is the product of freshmen guards and the absence of WR, the shot blocking last line of defense.

I also agree about the offense, or now the lack of it, the passing the ball around the perimeter, milk the shot clock, "keepaway" offense, as then Houston Coach Tom Penders dubbed the SLU offense under Brad Soderberg. That offense is the product of missing KM.

In his first year at SLU, Majerus allowed Porter Moser to put in a zone, and also allowed some changes in the offense, as it was just too complicated for the players. I think some of those adjustments are again needed.

Further, I also hate to see this make one mistake, get yanked out of the game stuff. I think that makes the players play scared and timid.

These are constructive things, trying to help the cause. I still think Majerus is a good coach.

He did last night, but that was the only game of the entire season, which I mentioned previously. So to say "we have three junior starters" is not really accurate.

Actually, the "experience" factor as calculated by Pomeroy is based primarily on the age or year of the players, so once again, being the 338th least experienced team would indicate that we are one of the "youngest" teams in the country.

I'm still waiting for a link from you that would suggest we're as old as you say we are, other than your observation that we had 3 juniors start one game this entire season.

How does Pomeroy calculate the experience factor?

This being said, I would like to see a zone defense in the SLU defensive arsenal, especially when the team is outmanned by the opposition.

He refuses to adjust his defense and offense to the talent that he has. That stubborness is hurting the team because without KM and WR this team cannot function well in this system. Sometimes a zone defense would help. However, teams are not scoring a lot of points against us. If we had better offense (averaged seventy points a game) we would win most of our games in spite of the defense we have shown.

He refuses to adjust his defense and offense to the talent that he has. That stubborness is hurting the team because without KM and WR this team cannot function well in this system. Sometimes a zone defense would help. However, teams are not scoring a lot of points against us. If we had better offense (averaged seventy points a game) we would win most of our games in spite of the defense we have shown.

I wonder about the offense. I recall that Majerus eased up on his offensive system and let Porter Moser put in some one on one, two man things on offense in Majerus' first year.

Maybe SLU needs some more of that, along with putting in a zone defense for selected opponents. Those zones can be very effective if used correctly, especially if the opponent can't hit outside shots.

i disagree with the "halftime adjustment" comments on rickma. rickma rarely makes halftime adjustments imo other than ocasionally switching the second half lineup a player or two.

at least three times this year we have started the second half in the "lull" that results in a quick time out. and how many leads have we seen p!ssed away?

the halftime adjustment coach was spoon. spoon rarely lost a halftime lead and he always made the necessary moves.

1) "Starting is for high school." Plus we've had a different starting lineup almost every game this year. "Age" = sum i=1-12 (class year of scholarship player)i. (Perhaps one of our geekier mods could add the cap sigma and subscripts to make the formula look more professional. :) ) You got as many scholarship freshmen as we do, you're pretty damn young, whether or not they start.

2) Here ya go. Of course, it's only a professional sportswriter.

SLU-Duke preview

SLU (3-3) will be sending its young team — by one measure, the sixth youngest in the country — into one of the toughest environments to face this season's most dominant team.

I agree that a zone should be added to the defensive arsenal, especially when the current SLU team is up against more athletic teams that beat the guards off dribble penetration and/or have the fluid 3's that have killed SLU for decades. The problem stopping the dribble drive is the product of freshmen guards and the absence of WR, the shot blocking last line of defense.

I also agree about the offense, or now the lack of it, the passing the ball around the perimeter, milk the shot clock, "keepaway" offense, as then Houston Coach Tom Penders dubbed the SLU offense under Brad Soderberg. That offense is the product of missing KM.

In his first year at SLU, Majerus allowed Porter Moser to put in a zone, and also allowed some changes in the offense, as it was just too complicated for the players. I think some of those adjustments are again needed.

Further, I also hate to see this make one mistake, get yanked out of the game stuff. I think that makes the players play scared and timid.

These are constructive things, trying to help the cause. I still think Majerus is a good coach.

i'm not sure what billiken team you have been watching the last four years but the offense of saint louis university has been pretty much the same pace since spoon left imo. it has nothing to do with mitchell. we havent been unlv during mitchell's time on the floor whatsoever.

This team is completely out of balance this season because of the two missing players the coach has built the program around the last two years. This started when Kevin L. graduated. Mitchell became the leader of the team that next year and with Reed's development, the stage was set. The four scholarship freshman on this roster were supposed to be developing this season. They were not supposed to be the heart of the team. With Mitchell and Reed on the floor, opportunities are created for the other players (KC,CR,CS,CE,etc..). I hate to be the one to break this to everybody, but this is the way the game is played on the floor. Anyone who has ever played on the varsity high school level or beyond will know this. Please remember the team lost it's top scorer, rebounder and shot blocker. It takes 3-4 players on the current roster to make up for that loss. All I see on the first message of this thread is anger and bombs being thrown. If the coach can maintain this squad, build experience, and get the two suspended players playing next year, this will be a strong team. It is pointless to debate the suspensions any longer...it is done and there is no going back. By the looks of things, it is very probable Mitchell and Reed will be playing next season.

i disagree with the "halftime adjustment" comments on rickma. rickma rarely makes halftime adjustments imo other than ocasionally switching the second half lineup a player or two.

at least three times this year we have started the second half in the "lull" that results in a quick time out. and how many leads have we seen p!ssed away?

the halftime adjustment coach was spoon. spoon rarely lost a halftime lead and he always made the necessary moves.

I disagree. RM has been the best halftime adjustment coach that I have seen over his entire helm at SLU, no exceptions. This year has been a problem, agreed.

This team is completely out of balance this season because of the two missing players the coach has built the program around the last two years. This started when Kevin L. graduated. Mitchell became the leader of the team that next year and with Reed's development, the stage was set. The four scholarship freshman on this roster were supposed to be developing this season. They were not supposed to be the heart of the team. With Mitchell and Reed on the floor, opportunities are created for the other players (KC,CR,CS,CE,etc..). I hate to be the one to break this to everybody, but this is the way the game is played on the floor. Anyone who has ever played on the varsity high school level or beyond will know this. Please remember the team lost it's top scorer, rebounder and shot blocker. It takes 3-4 players on the current roster to make up for that loss. All I see on the first message of this thread is anger and bombs being thrown. If the coach can maintain this squad, build experience, and get the two suspended players playing next year, this will be a strong team. It is pointless to debate the suspensions any longer...it is done and there is no going back. By the looks of things, it is very probable Mitchell and Reed will be playing next season.

+1

You can't take a teams 2 best players away and expect a couple of freshmen(no matter how good they are supposed to be) to fill in and be successful. Sure we have talent on our team, but out inexperience and youth kills us. We don't have a go to scorer. We don't have a star defender. We need KM and WR back and I think simply for the morale of the team and for the fans, we need them to play now. I'm sure our players aren't used to winning. I'm sure they were on very good high school teams and they're down on themselves now. Bring KM and WR back and just see what happens. Maybe we get hot and win the A-10 Tourney. Maybe we don't, but I'm not sure we can get any worse. Give the team something to build off of going into next year. Give them some playing time and experience with playing with KM and WR. JB and JM will be in next year too.

I don't understand why we can't shoot. At the open practice all we did was scrimmage. I know RM complains that we don't have enough baskets to give up practice time to shoot, but the practice court is about a 20 second walk from the main court. I think we have enough baskets. Instead of having a long, grueling practice, lets take some time to shoot the basketball. Austin Peay, Georgia, Southern Miss were all games we had a lead in but fell short at the end. I think RM said he gave the team a day off before the Jacksonville game because of Duke and exams. Look how we played the 2nd half. Maybe every game we need Cassity to take a complete cheap shot. Anything to inspire this team right now. This team has potential. The team that played for 30 minutes against Georgia, 15 minutes against Jacksonville, 30 minutes against Southern Miss, and the team that had spurts against Duke is a team that can contend for an A-10 Title or at least another top 4. Inconsistency is the word that sums up the season for me.

I disagree. RM has been the best halftime adjustment coach that I have seen over his entire helm at SLU, no exceptions. This year has been a problem, agreed.

and i say you are dreaming of the rick majerus legend coach from utah. not the rick majerus coach at saint louis university.

Dayton didn't beat us last night. We lost to them. This was the second game in a row we played poorly. Had we just played average ...we win. Instead of 1-12 shooting 3's in the 1st half, we are 4-12(average) and make a couple of free throws....we win. We didn't need to bring our A game. Our C game would have been enough.

I don't think the A-10 is particularly strong this year. We can pretty much beat anyone in our league except maybe the top 3 teams...Temple, Richmond & Duq. If we bring our A game we even have a chance at beating Duq. at home.

The point is I don't think we will continue to shoot at an 8% level and therefore we will win our share of games.

one more thing. why is Paul Eckerle playing let alone starting against one of the most athetlic, talented teams in the A-10? He seems like a great guy and maybe even a team leader in practice, but he's just not good enough to play for us. Just watch the bench during time outs and big defensive possessions. Jake Barnett is standing up screaming and coaching out players. He seems to be the best leader we have right now and he won't play a second this season. The team loves him and the coaches do too. I feel like PE can have the same affect. I really like Paul and I don't mean to take a shot to him, but he just shouldn't be playing.

Couple of things.....

Gillen wanted the the job when Sodie was fired.

I know Rickma wasn't there last night, but this is the worst coaching job ever turned in by Rickma. It appears to me that he decided to just go through the motions once KM and WR were gone.

This team actually has talent to be better than they have. The problem is Rickma doesn't want to adjust anything major in the way he runs his offense or defense to adjust to what is left on the team.

Couple of things.....

Gillen wanted the the job when Sodie was fired.

I know Rickma wasn't there last night, but this is the worst coaching job ever turned in by Rickma. It appears to me that he decided to just go through the motions once KM and WR were gone.

This team actually has talent to be better than they have. The problem is Rickma doesn't want to adjust anything major in the way he runs his offense or defense to adjust to what is left on the team.

And why wouldn't he, Brian? The Athletic Dept. showed ZERO support for Kwamain and Willie. When they decide to turn their collective backs on the success of the program, I'm sure Majerus felt a tad betrayed by Chris May.