Jett and McCall

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

CS is going to lose all of his minutes to Km, JB and KC next year, with KM and WR back. He's better off transferring. I have been appalled at how he's played this year.

CS does not have many minutes to lose , Agree his offense has been terrible but in the last couple of games JJ (44T/O IN 13 Games) & MM have not set the world on fire especially against BG & their defense has been apalling against some very ordinary opposition guards . CS would have definately helped us out in a big way on defense especially against BG , As CR would of helped out on rebounding against BG.

It is obvious that RM & Coaching staff have already determined that CS will not be required next season and are making sure he is getting the message loud & clear, also i would not be suprised that CR is being pushed into a Redshirt season thus the limited court time even though we have been out rebounded in the majority of our games and our rebounders have been terrible , its hard to understand why you would leave 1 of your more taller & athletic players on the bench when you are being crushed on the boards & leave a solid defensive guard on the bench when your starting guards are being beaten badly and giving the opposition guards open looks & time to make passes when and how they want without any pressure.

CS is going to lose all of his minutes to Km, JB and KC next year, with KM and WR back. He's better off transferring. I have been appalled at how he's played this year.

Does anyone think that KC will graduate in the spring, move on and not play next year? His mind may be on things more important to him than basketball.

Of course I'd never have posted that much less thought it if I knew you had a problem with it.

If you don't mind I'll decide when I should get excited about what we may have next year.

Yes, they may work themselves out and it may be by one of them leaving.

Coming in they expected to play behind KM for 2 years. This changes that ... makes me wonder how they feel about it.

It may not be a problem at all, but unless someone leaves we are going to have players get less minutes and some quite a bit less. Not everyone is game for that.

Lets assume Cody or DE get no time at the 3 in '11 or '12 ... and we know that won't be true as WR and RL will get 50 minutes of the 80 between the 4 and 5. If that's the case we'll have someone wanting leave there.

That leaves 120 minutes to be divided between KM, KC, JB, JJ, MM, CS. and PE. with KM getting 30 mpg almost undoubtedly. Will CS stay getting 5-8 mpg or less? Paul I think will just do whatever he is called upon to do.

I'd like to point out that it would still be two years. But instead of the two years being their freshman and sophomore years, it would wind up being their sophomore and junior years

This is why I'd rather see Mitchell and Reed play immediately upon returning, but I won't be upset if they redshirt. The remainder of this season will likely stink, though.

I wonder if the players will want them to redshirt. Why would they want to have this season be atrocious when they could possibly win the Atlantic 10 Tournament and play in the Big Dance? That should still be the goal.

And who's to say that McCall and Jett won't be so good by their junior season that they couldn't still get plenty of playing time even with Mitchell's being a senior? He's not guaranteed to remain ahead of them.

I'd like to point out that it would still be two years. But instead of the two years being their freshman and sophomore years, it would wind up being their sophomore and junior years

This is why I'd rather see Mitchell and Reed play immediately upon returning, but I won't be upset if they redshirt. The remainder of this season will likely stink, though.

I wonder if the players will want them to redshirt. Why would they want to have this season be atrocious when they could possibly win the Atlantic 10 Tournament and play in the Big Dance? That should still be the goal.

And who's to say that McCall and Jett won't be so good by their junior season that they couldn't still get plenty of playing time even with Mitchell's being a senior? He's not guaranteed to remain ahead of them.

Your last two sentences states something I believe will happen if MM and JJ stay at SLU. I believe they will be exceptional and KM will help make them that way.

Yes. Formerly.

You have to look at WR and KM's returns as if we just signed two really good JUCO's. How that will effect a current player's mindset is a huge unknown at this time. We can only hope that the current team is liking their SLU experience, have no problems with RM, staff, or teammates, and feel their developing as ball players. If all that's in place, I don't forsee transfers happening, but still there are a lot of variables we don't know. when anyone mentions CS checking out, I immediately think of how that affects CE. They've been close buds and CE's found himself in the doghouse more than a few times this year. Hopefully, these guys are close enough as a team that they all think they can achieve something special next year and stick together. That may sound naive, but one can hope. Also, if you look at all the transfers since RM arrived a lot of those guys had issues with academics, non RM recruits, egos, etc. The only guy I can't figure out was why Jon Smif transferred after one year. Of course, that turned out to be a good move for him in light of the "situation". However, right now these kind of issues are not known to exist with this team. Do they?

Majerus has had "habit" of running people off. Okay maybe running people off isn't the right term or the politically correct term or whatever but it is his modus operandi since he got here. Maguire. Mitchell. Knollmeyer. Relaphorde. Thompson. Reid. Jordan. John. Smith. Sodes' guys; his guys' -- doesn't reall ymatter. Given that track record, one can assume it will stay its course. Someone or sometwo are likely candidates to join that wall of fame. Anyone who is a sophomore or under (meaning just about everyone on this current roster) is a candidate to leave. Rare is it that a junior transfers --- but sophomore year is usually the make or break year. Salescich, Remekun, and Ellis are all candidtaes for departure. Who's to say that if Christain departs, his mates (Cody and Rob) don't follow suit???? Hey, I don't know, I'm just saying.

Speculation is a fun game to engage in but we all did that for this year based on last year's CBI run. I'll bet you the Vikings didn't expect 2010 to go the way it did when they were on that plane to Hattiesburg recruiting Favre out of retirement for one final hurrah. You just never know ... a team is the sum of all its parts. This year's team is missing two key cogs and I believe that will hurt the development of the younger guys over the rest of this lost season. Things rarely go the way you expect and isn't this still BILLIKEN basketball??????

I am curious to see what the general reaction of the community will be in regards to the return of Reed and Mitchell. Almost all of us on here are Billiken basketball fans and are hoping their return results in improved wins, a post season run and days of cheering and glory. But how many of the other side exist? Those who will boo the decision and turn away becuase of their return. I personally know people who believe these fours guys were the incarnation of evil and did all sorts of things to this girl against her will. All I'm sayin is htere is a ying and a yang to everything with the truth likely somewhere in the middle. I can't wait to see what the general reaction will be -- because there will be one, guarnteed.

Remeber Rich Grawer's last year. Strange things can and do happen. Remeber this past October. All I'm saying is I ain't countin gthese chickens until the hatching is all done an dover with.

Majerus has had "habit" of running people off. Okay maybe running people off isn't the right term or the politically correct term or whatever but it is his modus operandi since he got here. Maguire. Mitchell. Knollmeyer. Relaphorde. Thompson. Reid. Jordan. John. Smith. Sodes' guys; his guys' -- doesn't reall ymatter. Given that track record, one can assume it will stay its course. Someone or sometwo are likely candidates to join that wall of fame. Anyone who is a sophomore or under (meaning just about everyone on this current roster) is a candidate to leave. Rare is it that a junior transfers --- but sophomore year is usually the make or break year. Salescich, Remekun, and Ellis are all candidtaes for departure. Who's to say that if Christain departs, his mates (Cody and Rob) don't follow suit???? Hey, I don't know, I'm just saying.

Speculation is a fun game to engage in but we all did that for this year based on last year's CBI run. I'll bet you the Vikings didn't expect 2010 to go the way it did when they were on that plane to Hattiesburg recruiting Favre out of retirement for one final hurrah. You just never know ... a team is the sum of all its parts. This year's team is missing two key cogs and I believe that will hurt the development of the younger guys over the rest of this lost season. Things rarely go the way you expect and isn't this still BILLIKEN basketball??????

I am curious to see what the general reaction of the community will be in regards to the return of Reed and Mitchell. Almost all of us on here are Billiken basketball fans and are hoping their return results in improved wins, a post season run and days of cheering and glory. But how many of the other side exist? Those who will boo the decision and turn away becuase of their return. I personally know people who believe these fours guys were the incarnation of evil and did all sorts of things to this girl against her will. All I'm sayin is htere is a ying and a yang to everything with the truth likely somewhere in the middle. I can't wait to see what the general reaction will be -- because there will be one, guarnteed.

Remeber Rich Grawer's last year. Strange things can and do happen. Remeber this past October. All I'm saying is I ain't countin gthese chickens until the hatching is all done an dover with.

And this is all what is most frustrating about all of this. Things happen and now everybody wants to be cautious in their optimism. That's no way to live. If we wanted to we could pick out things in all of our lives where we could say the same things about our own futures. Life is full of adversity. I expect good things in the future and if they don't happen, then I will manage.

SLU is in a transition phase. It's like we decided to try and go big time, but in that path we realized we don't have a clue in how to do it. We're still learning and we may continue to take a few steps back before we actually move forward. Is RM the guy to take us big time? You would think so, but there may even more to taking SLU big time than he ever thought. At his age, health, energy levels, etc - he may not be the guy to do it. Who knows. Maybe he will just be a stepping stone in the big picture.

I fully expect SLU to make more mistakes and bad decisions in this process. But, I am still optimistic about it all.

And this is all what is most frustrating about all of this. Things happen and now everybody wants to be cautious in their optimism. That's no way to live. If we wanted to we could pick out things in all of our lives where we could say the same things about our own futures. Life is full of adversity. I expect good things in the future and if they don't happen, then I will manage.

SLU is in a transition phase. It's like we decided to try and go big time, but in that path we realized we don't have a clue in how to do it. We're still learning and we may continue to take a few steps back before we actually move forward. Is RM the guy to take us big time? You would think so, but there may even more to taking SLU big time than he ever thought. At his age, health, energy levels, etc - he may not be the guy to do it. Who knows. Maybe he will just be a stepping stone in the big picture.

I fully expect SLU to make more mistakes and bad decisions in this process. But, I am still optimistic about it all.

Yes. But SLU will never be anything close to "big time" with Fr. Biondi as President of SLU. If our program will ever get to where we want it to go, we need to get rid of Fr. Biondi. X would not be the program it is with Fr. Biondi as their President. Even with RM as our head coach and his salary being paid by others, Fr. Bondi has nickled and dimed the program, continually failed to support the program, cancelled his own prevously promised chartered flights, angered the head coach to the point he refuses to a radio show, cannot get the team on TV airwaves, refuses to create a few majors/revise academic criteria that would make SLU receptive to its competition with respect to JUCOs and transfers and now has completely bungled/helped create The Situation even thought the actions/inactions of the boys and the girl were beyond his control.

Please Jesuits, reassign the good Father. Isn't there another Jesuit school that could use his talents? Doesn't former Archbishop Burke need some help in Rome?

Yes. But SLU will never be anything close to "big time" with Fr. Biondi as President of SLU. If our program will ever get to where we want it to go, we need to get rid of Fr. Biondi. X would not be the program it is with Fr. Biondi as their President. Even with RM as our head coach and his salary being paid by others, Fr. Bondi has nickled and dimed the program, continually failed to support the program, cancelled his own prevously promised chartered flights, angered the head coach to the point he refuses to a radio show, cannot get the team on TV airwaves, refuses to create a few majors/revise academic criteria that would make SLU receptive to its competition with respect to JUCOs and transfers and now has completely bungled/helped create The Situation even thought the actions/inactions of the boys and the girl were beyond his control.

Please Jesuits, reassign the good Father. Isn't there another Jesuit school that could use his talents? Doesn't former Archbishop Burke need some help in Rome?

Completely sell out?

Tonka, all I can say is you must be a very young man.

Just like how every MLB team starts the year with 7 Starting pitchers and is scrambling for a spot start in August ... the cart is way ahead of the horse.

Injuries, off court problems, grades, breaking team rules, pissing off the dying Majerus ... all of these things happen to every team in the course of a year.

My guess is no one red-shirts all year next year and the competition for minutes makes everyone better.

Would be awful to red shirt someone and then see WR sprain his ankle.

It isn't that GS has disappeared on us much as it is PE is playing so well RM finds minutes for him; I believe PE lost a few minutes last game when Porter took over. RM can't resist PE. Grawer and Spoon would have played him until he had no knees.

Completely sell out?

How so? Not saying we need basketweaving or welding majors but Phys Ed/Sports Medicine would seem to fit in with the Med school, nursing, PT majors, etc. Complete sell out? I don't think so. Why is SLU one of the few schools that can no longer land a JUCO? If we could have landed a JUCO or 2 these past years, then we would not be playing 4 Freshman .... again and again and again...

How so? Not saying we need basketweaving or welding majors but Phys Ed/Sports Medicine would seem to fit in with the Med school, nursing, PT majors, etc. Complete sell out? I don't think so. Why is SLU one of the few schools that can no longer land a JUCO? If we could have landed a JUCO or 2 these past years, then we would not be playing 4 Freshman .... again and again and again...

That's always been our problem, SLU is not that difficult a school, but we cannot sneak in a few meathead players with muscle and exceptional talent like MOST of our competition.

Even the A-10... look how many schools have football-player-hiding programs: Temple has BS in Sport and Recreation Management, and some other "choice" degrees.

I cannot prove it right now, but I bet a few of their basketball stars since we have joined the A-10 could not get into SLU where there are no places to hide players like that.

Majerus has had "habit" of running people off. Okay maybe running people off isn't the right term or the politically correct term or whatever but it is his modus operandi since he got here. Maguire. Mitchell. Knollmeyer. Relaphorde. Thompson. Reid. Jordan. John. Smith. Sodes' guys; his guys' -- doesn't reall ymatter.

Really?? REALLY??

Reid? Smith? John? Whatever point you are trying to make, it is silly to consider those players to have been "run-off" by anyone. If RM could have any of those guys on this team right now he very well would. He's specifically said as much about John in particular.

Maybe what you mean to be saying is that things happen that could lead to players leaving. That is correct things do happen. Some of those things are not in the coaching staff's control in any way. There is only so much they can do to avoid a player getting homesick, blowing out his knee, or suffering a massive debilitating concussion. Of course that is also part of big time basketball and perhaps we should all get used to it. I suppose we could go back to just recruiting a dozen or so "scrappy" white kids all from the local CYC. They'd never be a risk of leaving. Our yearly battles with SIUC and Fontbonne would be classics for sure.

That's always been our problem, SLU is not that difficult a school, but we cannot sneak in a few meathead players with muscle and exceptional talent like MOST of our competition.

Even the A-10... look how many schools have football-player-hiding programs: Temple has BS in Sport and Recreation Management, and some other "choice" degrees.

I cannot prove it right now, but I bet a few of their basketball stars since we have joined the A-10 could not get into SLU where there are no places to hide players like that.

And difficult to keep some players if they do get into SLU. I truly find it hypocritical. Aside from the very few athletes who are also exceptional students, most athletes are academically below (some way below) the rest of the student body. To say that our C student/athletes are better than some other school's Phys Ed major is really not saying much. Again, if we want to go "big time" then we need to make changes.

And difficult to keep some players if they do get into SLU. I truly find it hypocritical. Aside from the very few athletes who are also exceptional students, most athletes are academically below (some way below) the rest of the student body. To say that our C student/athletes are better than some other school's Phys Ed major is really not saying much. Again, if we want to go "big time" then we need to make changes.

Actually I am saying our C student athletes ARE superior to some of the dummie so called student athletes that take PE courses... they could not get into SLU and if we let them in they would be out in one semester.

I say, there are a LOT of them out there. Very, very difficult for us to compete when some schools can get so many non students in school and hide them.

I think making such adjustments to the school's academic mission for the sake of the athletics program would be selling out. I want the basketball program to be good, but it's still just a form of entertainment, and I don't think the educational mission of the school should beholden to entertainment.

Actually I am saying our C student athletes ARE superior to some of the dummie so called student athletes that take PE courses... they could not get into SLU and if we let them in they would be out in one semester.

I say, there are a LOT of them out there. Very, very difficult for us to compete when some schools can get so many non students in school and hide them.

You mean folks like Obi Ikeakor, Randy Pulley, and Horace Dixon?

This wasn't meant to about whether or not we'd still need them. I'm sure regardless they'd both still contribute and maybe one or both would become better than KM. However, as players, they may see it differently. Playing less behind KM as freshman is expected, but when they signed they didn't expect to have an existing player still likely ahead of them as Jr's. When they signed do you not think they looked at the roster and gauged what their playing time would potentially look like as their career progressed? Adding KM to the roster for their Jr year could significantly change what they originally perceived.