Game Thoughts

Billiken75

If Majerus had the talent on the Georgia team, they would be a Final Four Team. The athleticism on that team was pretty scary. I am so tired of inexperience being such a factor for this team.

1. CE and CS not scoring is really a negative right now. If Ellis doesn't become a scoring threat, this season will get even longer.

2. Glad to see Cory step up and be a factor - keep improving Cory.

3. Great game and effort by Kyle tonight. When he is not on the floor, we don't have good organization.

4. I now see why Majerus wanted Loe. With his outside shot, he creates such a defensive mismatch and opens up the inside - this really helped Cory tonight. He will be tough to defend in the A-10.

5. It is so frustrating losing on free throw misses. Come on guys, make this a positive for this team.

6. It will be interesting to watch Evans develop and become more of a scoring threat. He is smart and intense, I hope he gets major minutes.

7. Still waiting for a breakout game for MM. He is good but reluctant right now.

8. Jordair is fun to watch. He had two big steals tonight - if he works on his defensive mechanics, he will be a great defensive stopper and seems to relish crunch time.

9. Majerus really had an inexperienced team ready to play. Why are we the only team that gets called for moving screens? I swear the refs were helping a BCS team by getting Loe out in the first half.

10. I am so tired of being close, and not quite getting over the hump. I was so ready for a break out season - and again, we wait on young players to develop. In Rick we trust.

Tough game. Thought when we came out well to start the second half we were in good shape. Not sure how long our scoring drought was, but seemed like we struggled for a long time in the middle of the second half. Probably the best game I've seen CR play. FT's killed us. A couple of bad TO's. In a close game, just can't have them. Fun game to be at though. You can see sparks from many of our players and what the future could hold. Georgia fans seemed scared until the end. Honestly was not very involved with SLU basketball since I graduated in 2000 and we had some good years when I was there. It's fun to be back in town and go to the games. Hopefully this team continues to improve with experience. As I'm sure everyone on here feels, it would be so different if we had KM and WR. I can only imagine where this team would be.

At the end of the day, if we can bring this intensity to every game, we will be a good team. Maybe not what we all thought we'd have, but we can play with a lot of the teams in the A-10.

By the way, all the cutout's looked GREAT!!!

Go Bills.

Tough game. Thought when we came out well to start the second half we were in good shape. Not sure how long our scoring drought was, but seemed like we struggled for a long time in the middle of the second half. Probably the best game I've seen CR play. FT's killed us. A couple of bad TO's. In a close game, just can't have them. Fun game to be at though. You can see sparks from many of our players and what the future could hold. Georgia fans seemed scared until the end. Honestly was not very involved with SLU basketball since I graduated in 2000 and we had some good years when I was there. It's fun to be back in town and go to the games. Hopefully this team continues to improve with experience. As I'm sure everyone on here feels, it would be so different if we had KM and WR. I can only imagine where this team would be.

At the end of the day, if we can bring this intensity to every game, we will be a good team. Maybe not what we all thought we'd have, but we can play with a lot of the teams in the A-10.

By the way, all the cutout's looked GREAT!!!

Go Bills.

9 and a half minutes

Its 1:14 AM. I live next to the Arena. Alex Jensen and RM are still going over tape and they are the only cars in the parking lot.

CR had a good game. RL had some good shots.

We simply need to learn how to play defense and have a winning mentality. That's it.

Its 1:14 AM. I live next to the Arena. Alex Jensen and RM are still going over tape and they are the only cars in the parking lot.

CR had a good game. RL had some good shots.

We simply need to learn how to play defense and have a winning mentality. That's it.

Well,CE gets a pass due to having the flu and still recovering from mono. He played tired and weak. CS played well on D, but when it comes to O it comes to 0. I saw him take 2 3's and both had no chance the second they left his hand. CR had a good game on both ends, but it would be nice if we could take advantage in the future of RL's outside play and get CR some looks on the inside. BC, love his heart but sadly the guy still can't put it in the hoop from 2 feet when there's a crowd around him. KC looked calm, collected and made some nice moves to the hoop in addition to hitting his 3's. He showed that ability to go inside last year. Do it more KC. The Frosh. RL shooting 3s is a real + for this team and he showed maybe we can expext a little more from him on the inside as the season progresses. DE made some nice moves to the hoop. Given maturity and strength this could be the inside slasher we've been hoping for. MM and JJ are gonna be like wine. Give it time. Overall, too many TO's in that bad stretch, didn't have a go to guy to stop the bleeding when GA got going, and GA's athleticism started to make our heads spin in the second half. Agree with RM it's very frustrating for us fans to keep watching young kids against men. It's got to be tearing him up inside given who should have been on the floor last night and knowing we'd be 3-0 right now. After seeing the web cast you can see the frosh have potential, CE needs to get in game shape and CR's continuing his development, KC's steady eddy, BC's the enforcer that you wish could be more. The one good thing from all this is we're not likely to see any of these Frosh head for the hills at the end of the season. This could be a 4 year clss that stays together barring any unforseen difficulties.

I agree with about all that has been said so far. KC is playing his heart out. RL - without him we were dead. Jett - if he could of just hit those FTs or if KC could have gotten one of the lay ups to drop of the two he missed but you can not blame him for the loss. BC - hard worker but damn I wish he could put in a lay up - he has no touch for the ball when it comes to shooting. I am worried about this year - we have to start winning.

cassity had ten points early when we built up the lead when he sprained his ankle and immediately went off the floor. he came back with a ankle brace on but was never right after that and basically played on one leg. in hindsight that was the difference in the game. i hope he recovers quickly. we need kyle cassity 100%.

the big guy for georgia was good. made his putbacks (conklin were you paying attention) and his free throws.

as good as i thought we played, the little things like free throws, putbacks and unforced errors were again our doom. imo that gives us light as those things should be fixable. of course we have been saying that about conklin missing bunnies and our mediocre free throw shooters for a couple of years now.

We're going to be better than most people think. This is as good a recruiting class as RM has had. Maybe the best.

Think back when Willie, Kwamain, Brian and Kyle were playing their first games their freshmen year. They weren't studs. Kwamain and Willie had flashes, but were works in progress. JJ, MM & DE are all there. RL is far ahead and shown progress in even this short time. If these guys progress the way Willie and Kwamain did freshman year we're going to improve significantly.

Our defense showed more last night than I thought we were capable of.

I think its going to be a fun year despite the Student Judicial Board's attempts to destroy the program.

Did anyone else notice when Loe was getting fired up after he nailed one of his 3s with somewhere around 2-4 minutes left in the game and he was waving his arms to pump up the crowd that one of the refs gave him a talking to and he stopped doing it?

I think the sequence went like this:

-Loe nails a 3 goes back on D waving his arms

-GA calls a timeout

-Loe comes out of the TO huddle waving his arms

-ref walks up and starts talking to him

-Loe does not wave or show much emotion the rest of the game

I'm not positive that the ref said anything about the arm waving or trying to pump up the crowd, but I can't imagine what else he was talking to Loe about at that point. If so, is that really something that Loe is not allowed to do or could get a foul called if he continued? Seems like Willie did it at times last year and I don't recall the refs ever getting on him.

If this was the case, it is really bullcrap in my opinion. Loe was hot and fired up and the ref's talk seemed to mess him up a bit. Granted GA switched up on D and started guarding Loe on the perimeter after the TO as well, but I don't think Loe did much the rest of the game besides dribble off his foot with like 54 seconds left. Screw that ref for not letting Loe show some emotion.

Did anyone else notice when Loe was getting fired up after he nailed one of his 3s with somewhere around 2-4 minutes left in the game and he was waving his arms to pump up the crowd that one of the refs gave him a talking to and he stopped doing it?

-GA calls a timeout

I'm not positive that the ref said anything about the arm waving or trying to pump up the crowd, but I can't imagine what else he was talking to Loe about at that point. If so, is that really something that Loe is not allowed to do or could get a foul called if he continued? Seems like Willie did it at times last year and I don't recall the refs ever getting on him.

If this was the case, it is really bullcrap in my opinion. Loe was hot and fired up and the ref's talk seemed to mess him up a bit. Granted GA switched up on D and started guarding Loe on the perimeter after the TO as well, but I don't think Loe did much the rest of the game besides dribble off his foot with like 54 seconds left. Screw that ref for not letting Loe show some emotion.

I noticed this exactly.

I was wondering why. You could tell Loe was very surprised and felt bad about it. KM and Willie did it all the time last year so I don't know what the problem would be.

-GA calls a timeout

The ref talked to Loe about hitting or running into the the white guy, I'm not sure if it had to do with him waving his arm or not. I'm positive it wasn't that Loe was waving his arms it was that he maybe bumped into someone while doing it.

-GA calls a timeout

I saw it too, but had forgotten about it until I read it a minute ago. It wouldn't have surprised me with this ref, or crew of refs. As many of you who go to games, the Band has a collection of conch shells that we blow into whenever a SLU player hits a three pointer. The refs were complaining about those throughout the game. First we just made sure that only shells, not regular instruments, were being blown into when a 3 was hit. Later on though, we had to collect the shells and put them away. Didn't figure out if it was merely precautionary or if the refs continued to complain about them, but we had to put them away during the second half. For those of you who are superstitious, we didn't hit a 3 after we had to put away the shells.

NCAA rules does not allow for noise makers to be used by fans. The shells would be that and so the refs were correct in asking for them to be stopped. Could them have ignored them - yes but they technically do not have to.

You're absolutely correct. Not that it would hold water, but I think part of the logic on the shells was that the rules state that "artificial" noise makers are not allowed. The shells aren't "artificial", as they are in fact real conch shells.

As you said, the refs can ask for the shells to be stopped if they so choose and they would be following the rules. With that said, I've been in the Band for several years, and I believe that was only the 2nd time we have been asked to put the shells away in that time. That means many officiating crews came before them and all but one of of them didn't have a problem with the shells, so with that information it makes the refs last night appear a bit petty, but maybe that's just me. It's not like we were playing the shells or our horns while Georgia was shooting free throws. Personally, I think that the refs should focus on the game on the court, not what the Band or any other fans are doing, provided nothing is an egregious violation.

NCAA rules does not allow for noise makers to be used by fans. The shells would be that and so the refs were correct in asking for them to be stopped. Could them have ignored them - yes but they technically do not have to.

DEFINING STATISTIC OF THE GAME:

Points in the PAINT-

UGA 30

SLU 16

CR played well last night but we really need WR. He would fit in very well with our line-up. He's a great post player that can defend well in the post.

When RL stretches their defense and pulls their big guys out of the lane when he is outside the 3 point line, WR would have 1 on 1 situations down low and it would be game over.

1: the photo is awesome.

2: Rob Loe... OMG! Hes got to be the most stunning player I've seen... ever... A 6'11 triple threat?... he tried to drive multiple times... He has so much good energy, so impressed that as a freshman in his third game was trying to spark the crowd and get everyone motivated... Hes going to be great... Although I miss and really wish we could get WR back ( the two of them together would be unstoppable), Ive heard way too much negative... I think that ship has sailed... When He was getting hot on the threes, I heard someone say "Wow, who needs Willie?"... Its going to be a whole new strategy to work with this talent because I dont think anyone will know how to work with it... but, Go Rob! I really think hes going to be a dominate force... " The E-Loe-minator"

3: Rough game, but I left happy... there is so much potential and with how much progress theyve made so fast... we can get ourselves back quickly..we just have to coax the Frosh out of their shells... RL is clearly out. :)

Optimism is my thing... :)

I am still trying to adjust to the idea of a 6'11" guy being the best FT shooter and taking the tech foul shots.

When was the last time a 6'11" freshman was the best FT shooter on any division 1 team?

Only know this because I went ot U of I for grad school and still follow them, but Mike Tisdale is listed at 7'1" I think. I will admit his freshman year he only shot in the mid-60's (on 30 attempts) but was close to leading the team. The next 2 years he took some of the techinical FT. Soph year he was 80% on 60 FT and last year was 84% on 100+ FTs. Only other reason I bring up the comparison is that Loe reminds me of Tiz a bit. Can shoot from about anywhere on the floor. Not as comfy down low especially against "wider" players. Tiz really developed a little hook shot that has worked for him. Hope to see Loe develop his inside game and really be that double threat.

Even though Georgia scored 30 points in the lane, SLU allowed only sixty one total points. That is not bad defense. We will not beat many D-1 teams if we cannot score at least sixty points a game. The offensive potential is there. Once Ellis gets well, RM settles on an every game line-up and the experience comes, we should start averaging more than sixty points. Loe will be very good but remember he did not have to go against their 6'10" center. Once he adjusts to the speed and physical play of the American game, he will be very tough, I believe.