GDT: SLU v. Georgia

SluSignGuy

Without RL last night we lose by double digits

No one is denying that. And I was excited when he came into the game. And I cheered as loud as anyone else when he made those threes. But he is not going to get nine open threes against teams night in and night out. And in order to continue his success, he needs to develop some other parts to his game. Which, as BFan05 said, will come with time.

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No one is denying that. And I was excited when he came into the game. And I cheered as loud as anyone else when he made those threes. But he is not going to get nine open threes against teams night in and night out. And in order to continue his success, he needs to develop some other parts to his game. Which, as BFan05 said, will come with time.

He'll get more open threes than most (given his height) and he is quicker than many 6'11" guys which means he'll create some of his own opportunities. I like the little move where he sets a screen, the guard goes down the lane and the flips it back flea-flicker style for an "open" three.

Regardless of what anybody thinks of Loe, we should be darn happy we have him this year. 19 point in his third college game? C'mon, that is awesome.

He'll get more open threes than most (given his height) and he is quicker than many 6'11" guys which means he'll create some of his own opportunities. I like the little move where he sets a screen, the guard goes down the lane and the flips it back flea-flicker style for an "open" three.

Regardless of what anybody thinks of Loe, we should be darn happy we have him this year. 19 point in his third college game? C'mon, that is awesome.

I agree. And Loe is in the running for the best RECRUIT we've had since Larry.

But also, Cody Ellis scored 20 points in a game five contests into his career.

In my short span as a Billiken fan:

Tommie Liddell

Kevin Lisch

Kwamain Mitchell

Cody Ellis

RL has met my expectations. He might even be a little below where I thought he would be. Yes, he got hot last night from three-point range. But he is not going to get nine open threes every night. He plays so weak in post. He gets in foul trouble.

RL will be an outstanding player soon, maybe even by next year. But that is not where he is right now. People have to look beyond the 19 points and see how he got them. 5-9 on three. 2-2 on technical foul shooting. One wide ope layup. That is not a "dominating performance.

I don't remember the wide open layup. He did however, have a rebound in traffic and a nice putback.

what is impressing me about loe is not his three point shooting and his want to score (he is not bashful) it is the improvements he has made rebounding and defending.

how about when he was chosen to shoot the technical free throws? i assumed salacich would shoot them when the T was called. and up steps rob. i.e. the coaches already have big time confidence in him.

yes he still is being pushed around, but the way he got pushed vs the stretched cardinals and bossa nova i thought it was going to be awful vs real teams. last night he held his own very nicely vs big bodied SEC players.

each game he gets better at defending and rebounding and help defense. which imo means the kid is very coachable and is taking it all in and learning quickly.

he is the best freshman since hughes. i have no doubts that loe is going to be a star. this kid is a poor man's dirk nowitski in the making.

NH, the sooner you get on the RL bandwagon the better. No qualifiers, no "he'll be good in a year or two" stuff.

He is good now and if your expectations for him this year were higher than 14 points and 5 rebounds in only 20 minutes per game, you must have forgotten to include that in your expert analysis. I never saw you predict that for him.

Just admit you were wrong about him and move on.

By the way, where is Torchater. Now that guy hated Loe.

What I don't understand is why you either have to love a guy or be a hater. I was a hater on Cody. I am a hater on Loe. I'm a hater on all these people when all that I am asking is for people to temper their expectations.

If RL finishes the season averaging 14 and 5, I'll buy you a beer at every home game next year.

Do people remember that in BC's fourth game he scored 18 points against Nebraska. As I already said, CE scored 20 points in his fifth game. You cannot use a hot-shooting night to crown a guy "dominant" or the "best freshman since hughes".

RL is good now. He is one of, if not the, best Majerus recruit. He will be 1st team all-conference someday soon. He will make the all-rookie team this year. If that counts as being on the bandwagon, then I'm gladly on it. But if saying that he is not the best freshman since hughes or that he isn't yet "dominant" makes me a hater, then its a stigma I deserve.

Can someone tell me what skill besides 3-point shooting Rob has right now, maybe I'll change my mind.

What I don't understand is why you either have to love a guy or be a hater. I was a hater on Cody. I am a hater on Loe. I'm a hater on all these people when all that I am asking is for people to temper their expectations.

If RL finishes the season averaging 14 and 5, I'll buy you a beer at every home game next year.

Do people remember that in BC's fourth game he scored 18 points against Nebraska. As I already said, CE scored 20 points in his fifth game. You cannot use a hot-shooting night to crown a guy "dominant" or the "best freshman since hughes".

RL is good now. He is one of, if not the, best Majerus recruit. He will be 1st team all-conference someday soon. He will make the all-rookie team this year. If that counts as being on the bandwagon, then I'm gladly on it. But if saying that he is not the best freshman since hughes or that he isn't yet "dominant" makes me a hater, then its a stigma I deserve.

Can someone tell me what skill besides 3-point shooting Rob has right now, maybe I'll change my mind.

Something tells me you might have a little trouble buying those beers at the game...

Notice, I didn't call you a hater. But you have lowballed the expectations on him from the beginning.

By the way, he is a very good passer out of the post and has better ball-handling skills than just about any 6'11 college freshmen I remember.

Good passer, quick recognition and release on his passes.

Very intelligent. He was pointing out where people should be on both the offensive and defensive end.

Mobile. Runs the court much better than I thought he would. He's not willie, but he's also not freshman year IV.

Courageous shooting. Not afraid to take the shot when he has it (KC could take a lesson on this).

Not afraid of contact (CE could learn something here). He uses his body well for a kid in his 3rd D-1 game. He's not strong enough, but that doesn't mean he's soft.

Decent ball handling for a big man, even if he did make a couple of careless turnovers by trying to do too much.

he's 6'11" , moves well, passes real well, did a good job last night setting screens. He has areas to work on but we have never had a big with his skill set. Never.

Remember what vouyoukas and Thompson looked like as freshmen? Even Willie as a frosh was nowhere near loe.

nh, loe sees the court better than any billiken big in my lifetime. see how often he can find the seam for an open look. or watch him pass out of double teams or watch him help on defense across the lane.

second, he is a pretty good passer. i seriously consider him on the same level as ian was as a freshman passwise. and soderberg constantly told us ian was the best passing center he had ever seen.

i already commented on his ability to obviously learn. while he cant immediately put on muscle and bulk to help him hold his own, his improvement is coming from positioning, balance and thinking ahead of the ball.

last, is his want to score. it took kyle cassity three years to want to score. this kid has the confidence and greed (greed is good :D ) to want to score when he gets the ball. somebody has to score. half the battle to scoring is actually trying and rob loe tries.

i was a bigtime "wait and see" guy on loe after his beatdown at the high school all star game last spring. but i am completely on the rob loe bandwagon now. this kid is a player.

Not sure he had many haters. He still gets pushed around under the basket, but he showed really nice intensity tonight.

Conklin is near worthless. I said the same last year and people told me to wait until he got healthy. I did and he looks the same. A 6-6 unathletic forward without good post moves, who is not a good finisher, who can't shoot well from outside and can't attack the basket is not a good player.

Luckily CR stepped up. Still very raw in the post but you have to be encouraged.

Love Mike Mccall but he played a bad game. But freshman PGs will do that against SEC teams.

Cass couldn't finish some shots today but he still looks really good. A lineup of CE, RL, WR, KM and KC may be the best team in the A-10. I'm not joking.

Speaking of CE, he's working some stuff out in his game. He will be good, but it may take a while. We need him to step up.

DE and JJ both show why this is a good class, but their inability to shoot hurts us.

CS is lost. I do not see how he will get minutes next year. His redeeming characteristics are defense and intensity, but those cancel with his complete inability to score.

Conklin is terrible.

Kshoe-

Document this post.

and instead of offering his opinion he asks posters to temper their enthusiasm as if he is guiding everyone down the right path of fandom.

You're right. That is my opinion and everyone has a right to disagree with it. I was mistaken to try and tell other posters what to think.

CE was better on offense and defense last year. this year, he is non-existent on D and is only looking to pop three's.

He didn't play good d last year either, and actually mostly just looked to pop three's then too. However, I think CE is the player hurt the most by the absense of WR. Very few players could guard WR one on one down low and that freed up CE for a lot of opportunities. Cody is at his best when he is the 3rd or 4th scoring option. Hopefully he can make the necessary adjustments to become a more complete player.