KSDK 5 report on the situation

billiken_roy

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It was stated that the two players were facing one yr suspensions, have to live off campus; final decision will be soon.

Reporter mentioned "sexual assault" several times, despite the thorough due diligence of the SL Police department that determined there was no reason to press charges.

I called and talked to the newrsoom, reporter (not the one with the story); he said he did not think the story was negative. What an assh*le. 314-444-5125 is the newsroom.

I stated that KSDK had a responsiility to the student athletes and the community and clearly should have waited until a decision was made. Their story was speculation and premature, and should have been handled with delicacy.

To blow it up at the top of the news, interview kids on campus, and use the sexual assault phrase over and over was irresponsible sensationalist journalism, etc, etc.

Does not look good.

It was stated that the two players were facing one yr suspensions, have to live off campus; final decision will be soon.

So there was news to report then?

Reporter mentioned "sexual assault" several times, despite the thorough due diligence of the SL Police department that determined there was no reason to press charges.

Criminal charges and the potential violation of a private Jesuit university's code of conduct are 2 different things.

I stated that KSDK had a responsiility to the student athletes and the community and clearly should have waited until a decision was made. Their story was speculation and premature, and should have been handled with delicacy.

To blow it up at the top of the news, interview kids on campus, and use the sexual assault phrase over and over was irresponsible sensationalist journalism, etc, etc.

Does not look good.

It sounds like some decision was made and that decision is being appealed.

I called and talked to the newrsoom, reporter (not the one with the story); he said he did not think the story was negative. What an assh*le. 314-444-5125 is the newsroom.

Does not look good.

That's what's up, MB. Get those retards in line.

I really don't see much substance to this report at all. I think some people are jumping the gun and jumping ship a little early here. I am hesitant but I think this story will once again go away... hopefully for good. (I'm not defending the actions of our players, obviously there was some wrongdoing, but to what extent, really only the accuser and the accused know.)

Boy, this is a bad situation all the way around, and forget about the effect on basketball for a moment. It's got racial overtones, black on white. It's got connection overtones, ie the female is connected to a supposed big donor. And you've got RM. God only knows what his reaction will be and how many of his soundbites/ramblings might be taken out of context. Not a pretty picture all the way around., but it just goes to prove the old adages, nothing good happens after 1:00 pm, and it ain't easy being a Billiken fan. If indeed there was a serious offense committed, I have no problem with a harsh sentence. What's bothersome is that this should have been settled last spring not two weeks before practice. It would have given all parties involved time to sort out their lives, move on, and let time heal all wounds. Handling it in this manner has turned a single ugly incident into two sordid stories. If it all goes bad this will be a dark cloud hanging over the team all season long.

Unfortunately, SLU72 might have hit on something else here. I'd hate to be a SLU coach who is trying to recruit top black basketball players in the future to the school after this all goes down. Not saying this is right or wrong, but I'm living in the real world. Just keepin' it real. The little girl in the clip even mentioned she wasn't sure if SLU was equipped to handle such a situation. I think we are about to find out.

bad boyz for life

Just a little FYI for all...I just read this online in the Student Code of Conduct book: 2.14.7 All appeal decisions of the Code of Student Conduct are final.

Most might have assumed that, but I wasn't sure how it worked.

I have 2 questions as to the process of these appeals...

1. Is the appeals board comprised of the same individuals who decided the case the first time? If so, that is pretty bush-league...

2. Who the heck has the burden of proof in these things? Are the accused presumed innocent and someone has to prove them guilty (with evidence/testimony)...or do the accused have to prove their innocence...I know these proceedings aren't 'legal' in any respect, but there still has to be certain procedural guidelines...

Regardless, I'm assuming underage drinking is a part of the 'charges'...

Criticizing channel 5 is pretty pathetic. A decision has been made, based on an alleged assault, and it's under appeal. Those are facts, and they reported on them. It's obviously newsworthy or you all wouldn't be freaking out about it. And if you think the situation sounds bad now, wait until you hear who the players are.

Guys, hang in there a little longer with this. The news media is really starting to salivate on this one, anyway.

There has been a LOT of misinformation in that long and tedious other thread. I will make a few brief responses and again, mainly points of policy, and will add more when appropriate / ethical:

yes, the disciplinary board can definitely suspend and/or evict from school any student, not somehow excepting student athletes. It is hardly a kangaroo court; this is a very serious and detailed group of people, and they take these tasks very seriously; every school I know of has such a system of internal justice and I was quite surprised by some folks (including p. diddy!) claiming they had "never heard of such a thing" in college athletics. I can assure you of their existence and their charge; and I can give many examples of school disciplinary boards expelling students, when found guilty; although often in bad cases the AD and/or coach simply "fires" a player unilaterally, in obvious cases.

yes, it is not at all surprising to me that it "took so long" to hear the spring case. Again, people at SLU desert immediately after finals in May; and the first weeks of class are extremely hectic with many other issues. The second full week of September makes perfect sense, and nobody should be surprised about that as too late.

Yes, there is an appeal process; I am not clear at this time how long that might take. But the appeal decision (barring lawsuits), will be final at SLU.

No, I do not know anything about further breaches of decorum but I am not saying that is inaccurate. Again, I am no prosecutor but the fact that no criminal charges were filed at the time of the arrest does not mean that a school cannot expel a student for the same encroachment of campus rules. Cheating on an exam is a perfect example; criminal charges are never filed for that, as far as I know; but ethical codes of conduct make that crime punishable within the school community.

(NOTE: I am NOT suggesting anything here about any SLU students cheating in these cases; obviously cheating and plagiarism are simply unheard of at SLU) [it's irony, btw]

and some of the comments on this thread are seriously in denial: no evidence whatsoever? it will all just blow away?? ouch!

More later, perhaps. ps-- did it simply never occur to anyone else on here that these issues might plausibly resurface and affect this year's team (and our W-L record)? maybe that slippage of institutional memory among fans is what has surprised me most of all in this particular case. . . . . anyway, I can assure you that within the SLU community, lots of folks have not forgotten and have been waiting for this review.

Criticizing channel 5 is pretty pathetic. A decision has been made, based on an alleged assault, and it's under appeal. Those are facts, and they reported on them. It's obviously newsworthy or you all wouldn't be freaking out about it. And if you think the situation sounds bad now, wait until you hear who the players are.

I think most people on here already know who the players are.

We already know who they are, but I am glad you got to act like a big ttimer.

We all know who the players are, you freaking moron. I'm pretty sure we have for a long time, too. Congrats on your what, second post?