1st Official Record prediction thread

bauman

no bet. the thread is supposed to be a fun prediction. but honestly without seeing the team i wouldnt bet on anything either way against any team. we all know nothing about the team considering the new players and advancing chemistry makeup of the roster as a whole.

C'mon, Roy, 2 losses to X? We should beat them at Chey.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2-3 non-con losses and 4-5 conference losses.

The difficulty of the non-con games is probably as follows:

@ Duke

@ MSU

@ Portland

Cancun 3rd win

Georgia

Cancun 2nd win

we'd better win the rest

In conference, I see the difficulty as follows:

@ Temple

@ Richmond

@ Xavier

@ Dayton

@ Duq

vs. Xavier

vs. Dayton

@ GW

@ St. Bon

vs. RI

better win the rest.

I'm not big into just putting Wins or losses on each game as many hover in the 40% to 60% probability range but when I look at them all I think

1) the A-10 may even be better than it was last year. We will lose 4-5 as we should also be better and we lost 5 last year while winning a lot of close games (more than we lost).

2) Our non-con schedule is better than last year and there are too many places to lose the 2nd and 3rd games. It was 1987 since we last won a tourney for pete's sake so assuming 3 wins in Cancun seems very optimistic.

3) if we are a 4 seed in an improved A-10 and take care of business in the non-con season we will dance, although the seed will make us underdogs in the first round...

Sorry, Shoe we're not dancing if we lose 2-3 non con games. I think our margin of error is ONE... Duke! If we do lose 2-3 we're gonna have to make the A-10 final game to get in.

i will compromise. i will bet you lunch we lose more than 6 games (your prediction) on the season. i am not betting on any specific games.

that's not a compromise because your prediction was 12 losses which would be 10 regular season as I'm assuming you have 1 A10 tourney loss and 1 postseason loss. How about 8 reg season is a tie, 9 or more I buy, 7 or less you buy. Either way you'll get the pleasure of my company.

that's not a compromise because your prediction was 12 losses which would be 10 regular season as I'm assuming you have 1 A10 tourney loss and 1 postseason loss. How about 8 reg season is a tie, 9 or more I buy, 7 or less you buy. Either way you'll get the pleasure of my company.

that's what i am trying to avoid.

seriously, you insisted on specifics so i just assumed you wanted to bet the season since you are so sure my won loss is off.

ok i will take your compromise. but to make it interesting let's include bonwich and alumni fan in the deal. they dont have to do anything. pure free loading on their part. you win i buy the lunch for four i win you buy the lunch for the foursome.

that's the least we can do for the elders of the old boys club.

Sorry, Shoe we're not dancing if we lose 2-3 non con games. I think our margin of error is ONE... Duke! If we do lose 2-3 we're gonna have to make the A-10 final game to get in.

That's ridiculous. If we had lost just one non-conference game last year, we would've easily been talking tourney and this year's non-conference schedule is better than it was last year.

Is this serious?

Take a look at Richmond last year. they played a good non-con schedule but lost 4 games. They earned their bid by going 13-3 in the confernece portion of the season. There was no chance they wouldn't make the dance, even if they hadn't made it to the tourney finals.

http://www.rpiforecast.com/teams/Richmond.html

If I take your post seriously, after we lose game 2 of the non-con season we should all tune the team out until the A-10 tourney...

that's what i am trying to avoid.

seriously, you insisted on specifics so i just assumed you wanted to bet the season since you are so sure my won loss is off.

ok i will take your compromise. but to make it interesting let's include bonwich and alumni fan in the deal. they dont have to do anything. pure free loading on their part. you win i buy the lunch for four i win you buy the lunch for the foursome.

that's the least we can do for the elders of the old boys club.

Is Alumni older than us?

I'm in. Hah, you have to root for me to win. :)

A/O this morning we have the following predictions:

30-0 Pistol is smoking funny cigs

29-1 Dr K admitted he was on medications

27-3 Bonwich had just finished a rest. review where he had a couple too many to drink

25-5

24-6 (4 picks)

23-7 (4 picks)

22-8 (5 picks)

20-10 The all-time leading poster

19-11

All in all it seems like we will be disappointed with anything under 21-22 Wins and a spot in the NCAA. Seems spirits in Billikenland are at an all-time high! Now we just need to do it on the court.

30-0 Pistol is smoking funny cigs the only member of the forum with balls.

27-3 Bonwich had just finished a rest. review where he had a couple too many to drink

25-5

24-6 (4 picks)

23-7 (4 picks)

22-8 (5 picks)

19-11

All in all it seems like we will be disappointed with anything under 21-22 Wins and a spot in the NCAA. Seems spirits in Billikenland are at an all-time high! Now we just need to do it on the court.

Fixed.

25-5

24-6 (4 picks)

23-7 (4 picks)

22-8 (5 picks)

19-11

Thanks for the compilation.

As I stated earlier, I think 25-5 is a very optimistic, yet real goal for this team. I just don't see anyting above that--if that means I don't have balls, so be it, I've been told worse.

There is just no way we roll through conference without at least a few losses--the conference is just too good. Plus the odds of us winning every single "should" win game are very low. Things happen, players have off nights, foul trouble, injuries, opposing team is draining threes from half court left and right, etc. Dayton, Temple, RI, Richmond and of course X will all be in the post season. Charlotte was on the cusp most of last season unitl they fell flat in the last couple of weeks. the Dukies and La Salle are both on the border of being post-season teams. We always have problems with the Bonnies for some reason and UMASS is rebuilding and getting better. A split with both Dayton and X would be good and 4 out of 6 against the Dukies twice, RI, Charlotte, and @ Temple and Richmond would be real nice. Again assuming we win all of the other "should" win conference games that leaves us with only 4 conference losses and more than likely sitting in the top four with a buy in the first round of the tourney.

For the OOC games that leaves just one loss--which again is not crazy to think about. The obvious loss is in Durham, but let's not just chalk that game up quite yet. The Bills will already be a atested squad by the time we head down south. As previously mentioned the Georgia game is going to be a monster and great barometer on how far Rick has brought this program as well as how the season should take shape. @ Portland is no picnic either. Hopefully we can continue the trend of winning on the road that was started last year. It seemed like before that every road game was an automatic loss. That is the true test of a good team--beating good teams in their house. After Duke, Jacksonville comes to us for good test and then the MSU game at their place, both of which we should win, but neither real easy--especially the latter. Cancun is a tourney we should win. Anything less than the finals will be a major disapointment. There are 5 legit possibilities for losses before conference starts. Hopefully we can keep that number to 2 or even less.

I can't wait to see how it plays out.

Thanks for the compilation.

As I stated earlier, I think 25-5 is a very optimistic, yet real goal for this team. I just don't see anyting above that--if that means I don't have balls, so be it, I've been told worse.

There is just no way we roll through conference without at least a few losses--the conference is just too good. Plus the odds of us winning every single "should" win game are very low. Things happen, players have off nights, foul trouble, injuries, opposing team is draining threes from half court left and right, etc. Dayton, Temple, RI, Richmond and of course X will all be in the post season. Charlotte was on the cusp most of last season unitl they fell flat in the last couple of weeks. the Dukies and La Salle are both on the border of being post-season teams. We always have problems with the Bonnies for some reason and UMASS is rebuilding and getting better. A split with both Dayton and X would be good and 4 out of 6 against the Dukies twice, RI, Charlotte, and @ Temple and Richmond would be real nice. Again assuming we win all of the other "should" win conference games that leaves us with only 4 conference losses and more than likely sitting in the top four with a buy in the first round of the tourney.

For the OOC games that leaves just one loss--which again is not crazy to think about. The obvious loss is in Durham, but let's not just chalk that game up quite yet. The Bills will already be a atested squad by the time we head down south. As previously mentioned the Georgia game is going to be a monster and great barometer on how far Rick has brought this program as well as how the season should take shape. @ Portland is no picnic either. Hopefully we can continue the trend of winning on the road that was started last year. It seemed like before that every road game was an automatic loss. That is the true test of a good team--beating good teams in their house. After Duke, Jacksonville comes to us for good test and then the MSU game at their place, both of which we should win, but neither real easy--especially the latter. Cancun is a tourney we should win. Anything less than the finals will be a major disapointment. There are 5 legit possibilities for losses before conference starts. Hopefully we can keep that number to 2 or even less.

I can't wait to see how it plays out.

I wouldn't say you don't have balls, it's the size of them in question. ;).

I wouldn't say you don't have balls, it's the size of them in question. ;).

Touche, Skip. Riding a bike to work everyday isn't helping my case.

(And by the way, it's in the shop across the street from your place today getting a new back tire; unfortunately it's the third stint there because of these damn St. Louis potholes.)

Hope you're right but didn't X pick up 3 Top 100 recruits? They are still THE MAN in the A-10.

Yeah, they did. They are still going to be very, very good. Probably back to the sweet 16 yet again. I hope they have a perfect ooc this year--as I do for for every A-10 team. They are still probably the best shot for the conference to go deep come the NCAA's, excluding a young and energized SLU team of course.

Speaking of X, has anyone taken a look at their OOC schedule? holy crap. They are really pushing the envelope to get a good seed some tourney time. I guess if you are a top 15 team in the country every year that is what you do to stay there, but man it is like they are purposely saying to the rest of the country, watch out, we will play anyone anytime, bring it on. I wish more top teams scheduled like this. They start with Iowa--not a powerhouse program, but no cupcake at all. Then they play in a tourney with ALA, Seton Hall, Old Dominion, and Clemson--some very quality teams. Then they finally get a couple of lay-ups, but follow that with an unbelievable three game stretch--Butler, Wake Forest, and Gonzaga, in a row. That is crazy. After they survive that, they have one more lay-up and then Florida and Cincinnati back to back to finish their OOC. They will play at least 4 or 5 teams that will be/are ranked in the top 25 in their OOC. They are probably looking at conference play as their easier stretch of games. (Although, they start on the road at RI, not an easy game at all.) That is pretty impressive and what winning year after year will do for you as far as scheduling goes.

Hope you're right but didn't X pick up 3 Top 100 recruits? They are still THE MAN in the A-10.

Xavier will definitely be tough again, but we have to beat them in our building this year. Our Billikids almost did it last year in a game where Crawford and Love went nuts on us. They combined for 47 points. Now both of those guys are gone. We SHOULD be expected to beat them in our building now. Heck, I'll go ahead and say it, we WILL beat them in our building this year.

Xavier will definitely be tough again, but we have to beat them in our building this year. Our Billikids almost did it last year in a game where Crawford and Love went nuts on us. They combined for 47 points. Now both of those guys are gone. We SHOULD be expected to beat them in our building now. Heck, I'll go ahead and say it, we WILL beat them in our building this year.

I'll say it too. Even with the crazy, crazy, lucky-azz circus shots that they got to fall again and again, we still had a shot to win that game. What a great atomsphere that was. Hopefully, we have more than just a couple of those type of crowds this year.

Westy, stop using that Indian math. 25-6 is 31 Reg season games and we only play 30. Since you break down the Reg season into OOC and Conf, you have us at 11-1 (OOC) and 11-5 (Conf). That adds up to 28 games-again we play 30. Is there a typo somewhere?

Sorry about that, I was in a rush and just kind of skimmed through the schedule. Im back in the states(alive) and im pumped for the bills

24-6 Regular season

2-1 A10

1-1 NCAA Tourney

Sorry about that, I was in a rush and just kind of skimmed through the schedule. Im back in the states(alive) and im pumped for the bills

24-6 Regular season

2-1 A10

1-1 NCAA Tourney

Welcome back safe and sound! I think I made you one of the 24-6 predictions since someone else predicted 25-5.

• 3 weeks later...

25-5

24-6 (4 picks)

23-7 (4 picks)

22-8 (5 picks)

19-11

Possibly this post was premature.

Yeah, they did. They are still going to be very, very good. Probably back to the sweet 16 yet again. I hope they have a perfect ooc this year--as I do for for every A-10 team. They are still probably the best shot for the conference to go deep come the NCAA's, excluding a young and energized SLU team of course.

Speaking of X, has anyone taken a look at their OOC schedule? holy crap. They are really pushing the envelope to get a good seed some tourney time. I guess if you are a top 15 team in the country every year that is what you do to stay there, but man it is like they are purposely saying to the rest of the country, watch out, we will play anyone anytime, bring it on. I wish more top teams scheduled like this. They start with Iowa--not a powerhouse program, but no cupcake at all. Then they play in a tourney with ALA, Seton Hall, Old Dominion, and Clemson--some very quality teams. Then they finally get a couple of lay-ups, but follow that with an unbelievable three game stretch--Butler, Wake Forest, and Gonzaga, in a row. That is crazy. After they survive that, they have one more lay-up and then Florida and Cincinnati back to back to finish their OOC. They will play at least 4 or 5 teams that will be/are ranked in the top 25 in their OOC. They are probably looking at conference play as their easier stretch of games. (Although, they start on the road at RI, not an easy game at all.) That is pretty impressive and what winning year after year will do for you as far as scheduling goes.

Thats impressinve and very refreshing to see.

Ive always rooted for Xaiver come tourney time just to support the A-10 but this is another reason to like them. It would be awesome if more top notch teams played schedules like that.

And IMO schedules like that do nothing but help your team. Sure you may lose an extra game here or there but come conference play they will be that much more battle tested for the rugged regular season.

Plus I think losing to a team like Butler, Wake Forest, or Gonzaga helps your team improve much more than beating the krap out of some division two school for the blind team.