justin jordan out of ball state

billiken_roy

Did he have trouble transfering courses or something? Or grade problems here maybe? That was really fast.

http://www.thestarpress.com/article/20100903/SPORTS2002/9030312/Transfer-Justin-Jordan-dismissed-from-Ball-State-basketball-team

doesnt really say, i would assume just didnt have the credits to be eligible. i would guess he had planned to make up shortages in summer and then didnt take the needed classes at ball state. no one to blame but justin on that if i am guessing correctly.

So in the future will the likes of NH stop blaming RM for "running off" Jordan?

whoa, just because he was in academic distress wouldnt mean he didnt get run off. my guess if it wasnt fixable over the summer no division one school would have touched him. it is not unusual for athletes to drop classes or have incompletes that have to be made up over summer sessions. not saying rickma did or did not run him off, but i dont think this means that slu necessarily told him he had to leave because of academics.

whoa, just because he was in academic distress wouldnt mean he didnt get run off. my guess if it wasnt fixable over the summer no division one school would have touched him. it is not unusual for athletes to drop classes or have incompletes that have to be made up over summer sessions. not saying rickma did or did not run him off, but i dont think this means that slu necessarily told him he had to leave because of academics.

In other words, there is a lot to the situation that we don't know... and for people to infer that JJ is a victim because RM is a meanie is unfair, especially when we don't know all the facts.

probably explains a little more about him leaving the billikens. was probably academically distressed already.

Yeah, I think that the fact that Ball State allowed him to come as a transfer would lead one to believe there was at least some chance of him being eligible there. If he had been ineligible when he left SLU, he wouldn't have been able to sign with Ball State, so obviously something happened between now and the Spring which made him ineligible. I remember Majerus saying in an interview that Justin was just overwhelmed at SLU, but I didn't know if that referred to academics or the athletic commitment required for him to get playing time at SLU. Maybe he did have some trouble at SLU, and as a result had to make certain grades this summer at Ball State, which didn't happen. Hopefully Justin can enroll at a junior college, get his academics in order, and then have a chance to play somewhere. If he can put up good numbers at a juco, some team will want him assuming he will be eligible.

haha

I believe that he was marginal academically when he came in or he would probably have been more heavily recruited. If a kid has trouble in high school, without some change, they will likely have even more trouble in college. SLU is not an easy school for a kid like that and that is what I think RM meant when he said he was overwhelmed.

This whole situation is weird. I don't understand why Ball State would allow him to show up to school, only to tell him 2 weeks later he was dimissed from the team. They would have known about his summer grades before the fall semester started. The whole thing just doesn't make much sense.

This whole situation is weird. I don't understand why Ball State would allow him to show up to school, only to tell him 2 weeks later he was dimissed from the team. They would have known about his summer grades before the fall semester started. The whole thing just doesn't make much sense.

I agree. It is weird. Since JJ wasn't going to play this year anyway, why did he need to be academically eligible at Ball State? Admittedly, I don't know every NCAA rule but my understanding was a player could be enrolled in school and if he is having academic problems he might not be able to participate in practices or whatever but he didn't have to get kicked out of school. It will be interesting to see if there is any further follow-up on this.

JJ was definitely an academic question mark from the beginning. The only reason he was available in the Spring of 2009 was he a late qualifier. As has been stated on here many times, SLU has the exact same standards for initial eligibility for highschool kids as all NCAA schools but we seem to have a harder time keeping the borderline kids eligible. One could blame our support staff but I think its far more likely there simply aren't places to hide kids in remedial classes that you might find at super large state schools. Over the last 10 years there sure seem to be a lot of guys that have left the program for us only to find out a few months later that it wasn't working out in the classroom (Pulley, Edwin, Thompson and now JJ come to mind immediately).

I agree. It is weird. Since JJ wasn't going to play this year anyway, why did he need to be academically eligible at Ball State? Admittedly, I don't know every NCAA rule but my understanding was a player could be enrolled in school and if he is having academic problems he might not be able to participate in practices or whatever but he didn't have to get kicked out of school. It will be interesting to see if there is any further follow-up on this.

JJ was definitely an academic question mark from the beginning. The only reason he was available in the Spring of 2009 was he a late qualifier. As has been stated on here many times, SLU has the exact same standards for initial eligibility for highschool kids as all NCAA schools but we seem to have a harder time keeping the borderline kids eligible. One could blame our support staff but I think its far more likely there simply aren't places to hide kids in remedial classes that you might find at super large state schools. Over the last 10 years there sure seem to be a lot of guys that have left the program for us only to find out a few months later that it wasn't working out in the classroom (Pulley, Edwin, Thompson and now JJ come to mind immediately).

Yes, very intereting to see if there is. I feel as though there almost certainly has to be. The timing and everything doesn't make sense. It really is sad that this kid of stuff happens to kids, but it's not that uncommon.

Weird indeed. Seems to me, the kid was eligible for transfer -- evidence being that the article talks about his schollie now freeing up for next year. So I am guessing he got in via the transfer and was given one of the 13 schollies a school has to give. I am then also guessing that there were some conditions attached to that i.e. getting some grades in some courses to maintain or make things up. That did not happen ergo this dismissal. Given the comments attributed to Taylor, I think some part of the bargain was not attained ---- the part incumbent on JJ.

He was a late qualifier as already pointed out. WARNING!!! I can't believe an all-state performer in Indiana lasts that long on the recruiting trail without a reason. Rick knew there were issues and said so. WARNING!!! That says to me that despite all the bennies offered ----- study halls, tutorials, one-on-one ----- there were still issues. I think some of us old men on here don't understand and can never understand the potential mentality of I-play-basketball-and-will-do-forever type. I don;t know that JJ was this way so again its a assumptionbased on nothing. But it could have been the case. I went to college to get an education by which to better my lot and poisition in life. Some consider the classroom just another obstacle to stay eligible. When the eligible carrot goes aways, so goes school. You see that a lot with guys endig their college careers and heading off to Europe or getting ready for pre-draft camps. That's one the reason grad rates are at issue.

I wish JJ well but at this rate, its a fast train to oblivion.

Justin Jordan was pushed out of SLU. The fact that this happened was the last straw in Jon Smith's decision to leave, and nearly pissed off another player enough to leave. You guys don't have to believe that, but it's the facts. I realize this is part of the business, and still respect Majerus, but the truth is the truth.

why should i answer this question honestly to all you rickma idol worshippers that refuse to believe anything can be wrong with anything he does. even when i tell you the truth you attack and belittle rather than discuss rationally. so believe what you want skip.

why should i answer this question honestly to all you rickma idol worshippers that refuse to believe anything can be wrong with anything he does. even when i tell you the truth you attack and belittle rather than discuss rationally. so believe what you want skip.

Oh come on. When have I attacked and belittled you?

Personally, I'm not a Rickma worshipper. I think he has good traits and bad like the rest of you. I also couldn't care less if players get recruited over, in fact, let me change that, I'd be disapointed if they weren't. I hate the way these adults are treated like babies. They get a 20K or more scholarship, if they're good enough they get to keep it, if they're not they don't. Boo hoo.

If it weren't for their ability to play basketball the large, large majority of them would be paying for their own college or not going like most people. So if they were good enough to get a year, but not good enough to get two, so be it.

Sounds similar to some folks on here who refuse to see any error in what was done by RM's predecessors.