justin jordan out of ball state

billiken_roy

Considering the post on the kid from Manuel High in Peoria, I just offer that anyone named "Jordan" not applky to Ball State.

As to players leaving ---- its likely a two-way street. A salesman sells you a bill of goods that doesn't measure up. You going to keep it? You buy a 2011 car and there's no engine, you going to park in your driveway for 60 to 72 months of payments? Rick says this kid doesn't measure up or wants to put the work in ---gone. A kid asks what happen to the comedian who recruited me and who replaced him with this Nazi --- he's gone too. Its likely not fair and the fact that its a human being as oposed to a car does complicate things but how would you propose it changes? Did Rick help to place JJ and JS in another program? Maybe -- but only if it was a cordial seperation. It happens.

I can name a few kids that might have been shown the door given their basketball prowess or lack thereof. What would you do with guys like Sekeue Barentine (2.1ppg/3 years), Chris Braun (5.2/4), Drew Deiner (5.5/4), John Duff (4.1/4), Paul Jansesn (1.7/4), Eric Jones (1.4/3), and others? Sure, the Bonners and Burns and Fishers are locks, but we have had a huge run of dead weights sitting on our roster over the last 30+ years.

Mistakes happen on both sides and if the fit isn't right, shouldn't that be correctable? I kno wthere are conditions that hurt the player (sit out year) and that might need tinkering but the rest is okay by me.

I think at SLU a lot of the transfers that are occurring are the result of being recruited over but if you look at Majerus's past that's not always the case. Rick has always had a lot of transfers but whenever he is tenured at a program I feel like that it has more to do with his coaching style than anything. Rick is a perfectionist to the nth degree and his practices are long and both mentally and physically draining. If Rick doesn't think that you have the focus required to play for him or somewhere close to his attention to detail then he doesn't want you back. I don't think Rick recruits many kids thinking to himself that he's only going to keep them for a year. I do think that in the process of working with the kids every day Rick figures out some of his recruits aren't his type of players. Also, sometimes its the kids that decide their not Rick's type of players bc to many of them the 4 hr practices and ass chewings take the fun out of the game. You have to be mentally strong to discard Rick's constant abuse and absorb the knowledge he's trying to get across. Basketball is life to Rick and he expects the same from his players.

Sounds similar to some folks on here who refuse to see any error in what was done by RM's predecessors.

You are absolutely right! I remember a mistake made by Eddie Hickey and another by Buddy Bremmer (sp?). I assume those are the ones you refer to! Wait, it could have been that one time John Bennington made that awful,. late-game substitution.

Can we all stop living in the past? The future is looking pretty bright! Let's just agree that today's recruits (RL, MM & DE) are superior to many (most) of the recruits over the past 20 years. Let's get excited over this year's team and how well it can do.

Just as RM has faults, so did most SLU HCs since John B. None of them were perfect.

You are absolutely right! I remember a mistake made by Eddie Hickey and another by Buddy Bremmer (sp?). I assume those are the ones you refer to! Wait, it could have been that one time John Bennington made that awful,. late-game substitution.

Can we all stop living in the past? The future is looking pretty bright! Let's just agree that today's recruits (RL, MM & DE) are superior to many (most) of the recruits over the past 20 years. Let's get excited over this year's team and how well it can do.

Just as RM has faults, so did most SLU HCs since John B. None of them were perfect.

The future is certainly bright, that's why it gets frustrating when a handful of people who seem to have an axe to grind with the coach are quick to blame him every time a kid leaves the program. The coach provides an opportunity by offering a scholarship and the staff and school provide support, but at some point the kid also has a responsibility. It is not ALWAYS the coach's fault.

I'd agree that the future is looking bright. RM certainly has to seal the deal, but things appear to be headed in the right direction. I'll be disappointed if we're not dancing this March, and ready to take a serious look at RM if we're not there by the end of next season. Until then, let the guy do his thing.

John B. made a lot of awful late game substitutions! If we want the Billikens to develop into a perennial power program, people are going to have to expect seemingly unfair treatment to players. It is happening at many schools and although I don't like it, it is not going to stop. I believe the weakest freshman player this year is better than the weakest player in RM's first class and his classes will continue to get stronger than the previous class. When that stops happening as it did at Utah, the program will suffer. Unfortunately, he may have to recruit over players in order to maintain a top level D1 program.