Possible Bad News...

Interesting that its "sexual assault" and not "rape." Any lawyers out there? What's the difference and how does that work. Facebooks should stay down ---- always. That is just TMI -- too much information placed out in the public domain for all sorts of problems to arise. I know that too because my kids have it and its used buffoonishly.

In MO, sex by force or by using a substance administered without the victims knowledge(drugs) that makes them physically/mentally incapable of consent is rape. In MO, knowingly having sex without the other person's consent and without the use of force is sexual assault. You might see it labeled as sexual assault instead of forcible rape if the individuals were friends and both had been drinking and once they got back to the house the female passes out and the male has sex without consent but not by forcible compulsion. Forcible compulsion is described as physical force that overcomes reasonable resistance or a threat that places the individual in reasonable fear for their life or serious physical injury. If it is determined that rufilin or any other drug of that type was used, it could be considered forcible rape punishable by a minimum of 5 years in prison. Also if it is deemed forcible rape and the victim is subjected to sex with more than one person the minimum sentnce is 15 years.

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

keeping it to yourself is one thing. flaunting it is another. if you don't want to divulge then don't.

explain good faith? do you honestly think everyone here (or anyone for that matter) got the story directly from a team member? doubtful.

I agree with your first statement. The vast consensus in this thread is to keep it quiet until we know something concrete, and I agree with that decision. I don't think anyone should be chastised for doing the right thing, or at least the right thing in my opinion. Its a lot less harmful to say "I know who is involved but I'm not telling" than it is to say "This is who I think it is, even though I wasn't there and am probably a bumbling idiot with secondhand information", which leads into your next point. Point being, I can deal with people trying to make themselves feel important easier than I can deal with people prematurely damaging someone's reputation.

I definitely don't think that everyone on the board got their info from a player, however they most certainly are people on here who have, or might as well have. Even if they didn't they could still have gotten the information "in good faith" from someone else. That doesn't make it true information, but all the more reason to keep your mouth, or keyboard, shut until the actual facts, not rumors, are released.

Looks like Bernie M. is taking the same approach as most of us. He posted this on Bernie's Pressbox and I agree with him.

I refuse to get into this one right now...

There's an investigation, and we'll see how that investigation turns out. If certain individuals are formally charged by law enforcement, then it's a sports story.

I won't go TMZ on this; sorry if that disappoints anyone.

-B

In MO, sex by force or by using a substance administered without the victims knowledge(drugs) that makes them physically/mentally incapable of consent is rape. In MO, knowingly having sex without the other person's consent and without the use of force is sexual assault. You might see it labeled as sexual assault instead of forcible rape if the individuals were friends and both had been drinking and once they got back to the house the female passes out and the male has sex without consent but not by forcible compulsion. Forcible compulsion is described as physical force that overcomes reasonable resistance or a threat that places the individual in reasonable fear for their life or serious physical injury. If it is determined that rufilin or any other drug of that type was used, it could be considered forcible rape punishable by a minimum of 5 years in prison. Also if it is deemed forcible rape and the victim is subjected to sex with more than one person the minimum sentnce is 15 years.

Good info... maybe this will help some of the hoopleheads on this board understand why there is a delay in public statement about the matter.

A lot at stake.

Innocent Duke kids WERE harmed for life, based on lies, and then the media "piled on".

Gotta do the grinding: get the evidence, facts, timeline, statements, lab tests, witnesses' statements, legal statutes, ETC, all together first.

Everything to protect all parties involved before you go public in this new world of sensationalism in the media and internet nut boards.

What is it with LAX players? Roid rage probably.

Your posts are painfully irresponsible on some very serious subjects.

So you are saying college LAX players take roids, but not football players, basketball players, baseball players, hockey players, etc?

BUT the Duke LAX kids were completely innocent so you are profiling LAX players with one example just cited on this board.

I see a great future for you... toll booth operator, if you really focus. The interview will be tought to get by... do not say too much.

To all of you out there who know the names of the players being mentioned as participating in this unlawful activity and did not mention any names, I applaud you. SLU fans are evidently discreet about something as serious as this and that is commendable.

Its a lot less harmful to say "I know who is involved but I'm not telling" than it is to say "This is who I think it is, even though I wasn't there and am probably a bumbling idiot with secondhand information", which leads into your next point. Point being, I can deal with people trying to make themselves feel important easier than I can deal with people prematurely damaging someone's reputation.

look, at this point its fact that two slu bball players have been questioned and released. its not unreasonable or immoral to want to know which players in particular. i def dont consider it slander to release their names.

as for details on what happened, ill wait for official news on that. at this point i just want to know which of my teams players are in question

whats more harmful to say: "this is who was questioned, now let's wait for some official news" or "lets not talk about it because the 'victim' may be lying."

look, at this point its fact that two slu bball players have been questioned and released. its not unreasonable or immoral to want to know which players in particular. i def dont consider it slander to release their names.

as for details on what happened, ill wait for official news on that. at this point i just want to know which of my teams players are in question

whats more harmful to say: "this is who was questioned, now let's wait for some official news" or "lets not talk about it because the 'victim' may be lying."

I agree.

They're both equally harmful to me in that they put someone in a bad light without necessity. Being questioned by the police is never a good situation, and neither is a being called a liar. While players may have been questioned by the police, they may not have done anything wrong. Putting names to who got questions puts them in a bad light before we know if they should be. Calling the victim a liar would be just as wrong and demeaning to the victim as we don't know what she said or what happened, so how could we say she is lying?

You don't want us to say we can't talk about it because she might be lying, but you want us to give the names of the players even though they might not have done anything wrong? That doesn't make sense to me.

I am not accusing anyone at all, and I won't accept that anything happened until it is proven. It just seemed to me like we had so many high character guys on our team. I've heard the rumors on who it was, and it just seemed to me like those would be 2 of the most unlikely. We'll find out soon I guess. I don't know much about the legal procedure, but I have to think that charges have to be filed and names have to be released soon.

edit: and i am by no means calling the victim a liar by saying that i won't accept it until it is proven...i am more saying that i won't accept that it was a member of the team until it is proven.

I am not accusing anyone at all, and I won't accept that anything happened until it is proven. It just seemed to me like we had so many high character guys on our team. I've heard the rumors on who it was, and it just seemed to me like those would be 2 of the most unlikely. We'll find out soon I guess. I don't know much about the legal procedure, but I have to think that charges have to be filed and names have to be released soon.

Can I post the rumor from campus and who the students are hearing was taken away in handcuffs early Saturday morning?

Even if the players in question are not charged will they be at a minimum suspended for being underage and in the bar? What is Rick Majerus' policy on players being at bars, especially underage players? I am assuming none of the players, aside from Paul, are 21. In light of this situation is it time for Majerus to institute a zero tolerance policy similar to what Mike Anderson claims to have done at Mizzou.

Can I post the rumor from campus and who the students are hearing was taken away in handcuffs early Saturday morning?

I guess I would not say I am surprised it is these two guys (although the one comes across as a high character kid), but they are seemingly the two with the most to lose.

What does the second part of what you said mean?

I guess I would not say I am surprised it is these two guys (although the one comes across as a high character kid), but they are seemingly the two with the most to lose.

No I wouldn't post it.

They're both equally harmful to me in that they put someone in a bad light without necessity. Being questioned by the police is never a good situation, and neither is a being called a liar. While players may have been questioned by the police, they may not have done anything wrong. Putting names to who got questions puts them in a bad light before we know if they should be. Calling the victim a liar would be just as wrong and demeaning to the victim as we don't know what she said or what happened, so how could we say she is lying?

You don't want us to say we can't talk about it because she might be lying, but you want us to give the names of the players even though they might not have done anything wrong? That doesn't make sense to me.

ok let me try one last time.

its this simple: right now im worried about my team as a whole. without knowing which players are implicated i cant figure out exactly how worried i should be. make sense?

sorry to all for dragging this thread on.

ok let me try one last time.

its this simple: right now im worried about my team as a whole. without knowing which players are implicated i cant figure out exactly how worried i should be. make sense?

sorry to all for dragging this thread on.

It doesn't matter which two it is. This kind of thing can stain a program no matter who it is and what the facts turn out to be. Just hope for everyone involved it didn't happen.