Rob Loe a Billiken

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Then why was he recruited? RM knew how small he is. Evidently his size was not a problem for RM. He should be judged by his ability, not his size.

There is NO chance JJ will leave unless he is forced to. So having this coversation is rather idiotic IMO. Plus, give him a chance to improve and get more comfortable in the college game after he recovers from his injury. Remember, he was a prolific scorer in HS.

I agree at times his size does hurt, but if he continues to work on his D he will be able to give us solid minutes next year.

Frank didn't say a word when Strickland was spouting his BS. In my opinion it is unconscionable to make conjecture about players leaving. He has no inside info; he is just a douchebag talking to hear his head rattle. I know that Strickland works for 590 but in my opinion it was really chickenbleep for Frank to not call him out on his supposed inside information. No one of any consequence would give this nimrod any real informaiton.

In Frank's defense, he questioned it when Femi's name was mentioned as he said Majerus loves Femi and he corrected AS on the Eckerle deal. My beef with Frank is he should never have had AS as some sort of "insider" when he clearly isn't an insider and is just tryiong to stir the pot with bs.

Frank is probably in a difficult position. Strickland is an employee of the station. You can't really mock talent for the station you work for or even tell them they can't be on your show. The only guy in town who has done that is Slaten and I don't anybody wants to follow that career path.

Strickland is a punk. When the stuff came out about the recruits not being academically eligible I tried to talk to him at Johnny Mac's about it. As soon as I brought it up he went into the backroom and wouldn't come out.

Then why was he recruited? RM knew how small he is. Evidently his size was not a problem for RM. He should be judged by his ability, not his size.

With JJ you have to notice how fast he gets going; he needs to be able to dribble that fast. Didn't anybody notice that Rodriquez for VCU was the smallest player on the court and got tournament MVP. In many sports today it is about speed and body control rahter than just being bigger, i.e. B Husak versus Evan Pedersen, Donnie Dobbs, etc.

At the beginning of the season I was not a JJ fan as on defence his feet looked tangled up; almost as if moving them to defend had never ocurred to him

I think he rather than Willie improved the most during this season. With the highest percentage three point shooting on the team I would be reluctant to

cut a guy who will come in cold off the bench and put up some shots.

As a long time Billiken fan who just a few years ago said I can't wait for the season to be over as these guys can't shoot-I would be hard pressed to point at someone on the team that I know is developing for a recruit who looks good on paper.

With JJ you have to notice how fast he gets going; he needs to be able to dribble that fast.

I've been saying this all year. Jordan either needs to slow down or his skill need to catch up with his speed. He is a great shooter but there were too many times he would be out of control when handling the ball. He did a lot of great things this year but hopefully his ball handling skills catch up with his speed.

Size is a part of ability. We all saw what happened when Polk who is the same height of JJ tried to penetrate - he was stuck in the land of the trees and could not get much done. He was quick and was great at breaking the press plus he had a positive Assists to TO ratio but most came to realize that his size was a problem. JJ really has a problem shooting from the outside when being guarded - he simply can not get rid of the ball quick enough because of his height and the way he releases the ball. Now, why did RM recruit him - well perhaps he thought JJ could be quick enough to overcome his height issue - some do and do it very well. I do not fault him for recruiting him but honestly, he needed guards and players - there was reason why the IN top scorer of the year was still out there in the Spring.

Size is a part of ability. We all saw what happened when Polk who is the same height of JJ tried to penetrate - he was stuck in the land of the trees and could not get much done. He was quick and was great at breaking the press plus he had a positive Assists to TO ratio but most came to realize that his size was a problem. JJ really has a problem shooting from the outside when being guarded - he simply can not get rid of the ball quick enough because of his height and the way he releases the ball. Now, why did RM recruit him - well perhaps he thought JJ could be quick enough to overcome his height issue - some do and do it very well. I do not fault him for recruiting him but honestly, he needed guards and players - there was reason why the IN top scorer of the year was still out there in the Spring.

If DP had JJ's jump shot he would have been a great player. Likewise, if JJ can take care of the ball and defend like DP, he'll find minutes.

There is NO chance JJ will leave unless he is forced to. So having this coversation is rather idiotic IMO. Plus, give him a chance to improve and get more comfortable in the college game after he recovers from his injury. Remember, he was a prolific scorer in HS.

I agree at times his size does hurt, but if he continues to work on his D he will be able to give us solid minutes next year.

First of all, nobody especially me is saying JJ should transfer, I was only responding to the post about him maybe considering leaving because he might see reduced playing time. I agree he has improved his defense greatly but he can be a TO machine if he is not careful. As far as his great 3pt shooting % goes, he takes very few shots and he usually makes 1 a game. Will he become a prolific 3pt shooter - not unless he figures out how to shoot the ball over taller defenders - which in his case is probably all of them.

I've been saying this all year. Jordan either needs to slow down or his skill need to catch up with his speed. He is a great shooter but there were too many times he would be out of control when handling the ball. He did a lot of great things this year but hopefully his ball handling skills catch up with his speed.

Our bigs need to catch up with JJ's speed. How many times did he penatrate and dish off to Conklin and Conklin wasn't ready for the pass. JJ has it the others just need to recognize it too. ;)

Our bigs need to catch up with JJ's speed. How many times did he penatrate and dish off to Conklin and Conklin wasn't ready for the pass. JJ has it the others just need to recognize it too. ;)

As a basketball player you need to know who you are playing with and their abilities. JJ made a lot of really nice passes but when you fire a no look fastball at Conklin inside, you have to know the chances of him catching it cleanly is slim. That falls on JJ, not Conklin.

As a basketball player you need to know who you are playing with and their abilities. JJ made a lot of really nice passes but when you fire a no look fastball at Conklin inside, you have to know the chances of him catching it cleanly is slim. That falls on JJ, not Conklin.

I hope you're joking here lol. I don't care who's making the pass or who's catching it, if it's on point and the guy gets his hands on it, 99% of the time it falls on him if he doesn't.

Now I'm not comparing JJ or any of our players to Steve Nash but imagine blaming a dropped pass on him, I just don't see it.

I hope you're joking here lol. I don't care who's making the pass or who's catching it, if it's on point and the guy gets his hands on it, 99% of the time it falls on him if he doesn't.

Now I'm not comparing JJ or any of our players to Steve Nash but imagine blaming a dropped pass on him, I just don't see it.

In the NBA all players are elite and are expected to make those plays. It would be nice to expect Conklin to make those plays, but this is not the NBA (even though I once heard a guy, "Jerry Garcia", sitting behind me at Chaifetz tell his friend that Conklin was going to be a great NBA player)and Conklin has hands of stone.

I think Jordan is a very underrated passer. The bigs need to get better about recognizing when the guards are going to dish.

Everyone hopes McCall is better than JJ, but its not a given. JJ had just as impressive numbers in high school and may end up being the better player. Lets let them compete and see what happens.

I would agree but the reason that MM has this hype is that RM took him even when he already had his guard situation filled. RM actually caused the issue with needing a roster spot for Loe by doing this. When MM signed, it was reported that a player of MM's ability and stature does not come around very often for a SLU so RM was willing to take him no matter what the roster situation need was. Thus, the reason many feel that MM will be seeing big minutes next year. Given how well he has played this year in h.s. these are not far fetched expectations.

With JJ you have to notice how fast he gets going; he needs to be able to dribble that fast. Didn't anybody notice that Rodriquez for VCU was the smallest player on the court and got tournament MVP. In many sports today it is about speed and body control rahter than just being bigger, i.e. B Husak versus Evan Pedersen, Donnie Dobbs, etc.

JJ reminds me a little of that small PG that played for East Tenn a few years ago. He's got a ways to go but the similarities are there. Now in RM's system he won't match that kid's scoring but he can be a nice change of pace player off the bench and provide some instant offense. Too bad about his thumb as that will delay his progress this offseason on things he needs to work on, shooting and dribbling drills would be hard to do with a cast on your thumb. I don't see anyone else leaving at this point unless RM and staff have an impact player waiting in the wings... Clyburn?

We all think there are teams out there that are good models like x, zags, Butler et.... To get to that status things need to be different. Looking at Xavier's Roster, they have one senior, and perhaps Crawford will go pro. I would assume with fourteen on the roster they have used their 13 schollies, so they have one maybe two to give. However they have FOUR recruits listed as signed for next year.

Wait until Calipari gets going signing the top unisigned kids. KY's in on about all of them at this point. Granted KY's going to lose 3-5 players either due to graduation or going pro... but if JC thinks he can improve his talent by signing 10 unsigned kids heads will roll at KY again. And I sure hope Crawford goes pro. I don't want to see anymore of him.

Everyone hopes McCall is better than JJ, but its not a given. JJ had just as impressive numbers in high school and may end up being the better player. Lets let them compete and see what happens.

Are you seriously suggesting that JJ might be better than MM?? I dont think its even a question that MM will take JJ's minutes. JJ is going to be the new towel boy next yr.

Wait until Calipari gets going signing the top unisigned kids. KY's in on about all of them at this point. Granted KY's going to lose 3-5 players either due to graduation or going pro... but if JC thinks he can improve his talent by signing 10 unsigned kids heads will roll at KY again. And I sure hope Crawford goes pro. I don't want to see anymore of him.

Probably won't have to do it this year. UK could have as few as 4 players coming back with everyone else graduating or at least testing the pro waters. My friend who's a UK fan said he expects all of the players to stay in. Wall, Cousins, and Patterson are all gone for sure. Dodson (reportedly failed a drug test) will either going to the draft or transfering. Orton has dropped out of school to prepare for the draft.

That roster turnover is just ridiculous. It's impossible to build a team when over 75% of your roster is just gone every year. It's not coincidence most teams that win big are junior/senior laden teams.

Are you seriously suggesting that JJ might be better than MM?? I dont think its even a question that MM will take JJ's minutes. JJ is going to be the new towel boy next yr.

that is not a good job to have at slu.