Paul E

BillsWin

I didn't say you did. Just because I mention your name it doesn't mean I'm accusing you of something. You are so sensitive sometimes, my lord.

Stop trying to be a martyr about it. Everyone knows your viewpoint on this as well as your sickening holier-than-thou attitude.

how am i a martyr? this isnt about me.

the only thing sickening is how much the fans of slu have lost sight of right and wrong and priorities over the last three years. i am singing out of the same song book i have been using forever.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

the only thing sickening is how much the fans of slu have lost sight of right and wrong and priorities over the last three years. i am singing out of the same song book i have been using forever.

It must be so easy to see everything in black and white.

Just like WMD's, we're fighting a war over nothing.

What difference does it make when a coach announces a player is transferring? For every bum like Obi and Horace, there's a guy that landed on his feet and has prospered, especially a guy like Marcus Relephord. Talented, hard-working kid who couldn't fit into Majerus' system - but I bet RM got him in contact with CU and now he is flourishing in a system that works for him. Coaches don't publicly say, "oh, this kid is leaving the program because I couldn't coach him or he couldn't adapt to my system." Coaches quietly make a statement about playing time or a better program close to home, etc. This benefits the players and doesn't bruise their egos.

"Moved off the team." That's not what's happening. Majerus essentially gifted a scholarship to someone who was going to school anyways. That never happened in the Sodie era. Had it happened, you would have been fully supportive. That was my point.

You still ignore the fact Sodie intended to pull John Seyfert's scholarship.

that isnt completely true. i was sitting 15 feet from soderberg at the billiken club meeting where he detailed he was indeed questioning seyfert but he also realized he needed him on the team for sheer numbers and then just days later seyfert came to him in tears homesick and wanting to go back to montana.

also, both phillip hunt and wendall bennett were gifted scholarships by soderberg even though they were already going to slu on their own dime.

Paul was already coming to SLU. RM gave him a gift for as long as the scholarship remained available Paul would have gotten it. I am absolutely befuddled on why you think Paul should continue to be on scholarship when there isn't one available.

Let's say your neighbors car breaks down, you have an extra one that you aren't using so you loan it to them with the understanding that they return it when you need it again. After a couple of months go by, you need it again, so you ask for it back. However, they changed the oil when they were driving it and took extra good care of it, beyond what you would have expected, do they now get to drive it as long as they like or need? Are you not doing the right thing if you demand to get it back?

that isnt completely true. i was sitting 15 feet from soderberg at the billiken club meeting where he detailed he was indeed questioning seyfert but he also realized he needed him on the team for sheer numbers and then just days later seyfert came to him in tears homesick and wanting to go back to montana.

also, both phillip hunt and wendall bennett were gifted scholarships by soderberg even though they were already going to slu on their own dime.

What if someone on this years team gets homesick and decides to transfer? Will you blame that one on Majerus too? There are so many possibilities that its dumb to even speculate...

and had UB needed Wendall's before his Sr year, he would have used it elsewhere. Or are you insinuating if UB had a 4 star recruit ready to come and the only scholarship he had left was the one he had given to Wendall because it was available, he would have passed on the 4 star and let Wendall keep it? If so, thank god he's gone.

there are student posters on here that are very good friends with Paul, actually, and so when they say that he is fine with it then I believe them. This is such a dead conversation that I can't believe it has four pages when one focusing on how we are going to destroy VCU or whatever their pansy name is has no activity. Let's go bills! And PLEASE, let's just get over this non-issue. Just stop responding! Let people live in their world of black and white if they want, good guys and bad. It is a fantasy world, but so is winning the freaking NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP (well, the one sponsored by the gazelle group...)

Paul was already coming to SLU. RM gave him a gift for as long as the scholarship remained available Paul would have gotten it. I am absolutely befuddled on why you think Paul should continue to be on scholarship when there isn't one available.

Let's say your neighbors car breaks down, you have an extra one that you aren't using so you loan it to them with the understanding that they return it when you need it again. After a couple of months go by, you need it again, so you ask for it back. However, they changed the oil when they were driving it and took extra good care of it, beyond what you would have expected, do they now get to drive it as long as they like or need? Are you not doing the right thing if you demand to get it back?

Skip, great analogy. You could've have used a spouse in place of the car. They cost about as much if not more than a year of tuition at SLU.

Roy is passionate and he sincerely feels that Majerus should not cut people's scholarship if they are valuable members of the team. Roy also makes good points about Coach Majerus and I think people would do well to look at some of ROy's points a little closer.

But I think even he knows he's wrong on this one. But he still is fighting for his opinion and he has every right to do that. The shots taken at him are unnecessary as, even though he does whine about Majerus (sometimes without warrant), he has proven to be a GREAT Billiken fan and I bet when the game starts he is cheering as hard as anybody.

Skip, great analogy. You could've have used a spouse in place of the car. They cost about as much if not more than a year of tuition at SLU.

I was thinking about using a spouse instead of a car, but I seriously doubted the time would come when you wanted the spouse back, making the point moot.

So, you agree that Soderberg suggested they find another school for a player who was not cutting it?

I don't care if it turned out to be the reason he left or not. Why are his intentions not being treated the same way as Majerus's. Presumably, had Romar gone along with it, Seyfert would have been pushed out. Roy refuses to hold Soderberg's actions to the same standards as Majerus. In fact, Roy claims he was at the tip-off club meeting when Soderberg mentioned this, yet he didn't come on the board to throw a hissy-fit and to tarnish our coach's reputation. Why not?

Imagine a tip-off club meeting today (which Roy won't attend but let's assume he does) where Majerus openly states that he intended to push out Conklin last year because he wasn't cutting it. There would be no end to Roy's criticism of Majerus. And if, in fact, Conklin did leave and claimed it was because he was homesick, Roy would be the first to call that reason a lie. He's already calling it a lie if Jeff Reid never returns and the reason given is because of the concussion.

I just wanted to set the record straight with facts, without editorializing.

MB73,

First of all, I am sick and tired of in every one of your posts making note of people who participated in "higher level athletics." We all get it, you played some D1 sport or something like that. That may give you an interesting viewpoint on certain subjects, but I have never played college sports and I still know that "constructive feedback" is a "well-known tactic." Why? Because I'm not an idiot.

Secondly, You post basically asserts that Coach Rick Majerus is infallible or at least that he is immune from criticism. I think that is a silly point.

- Yes, Majerus is a proven winner. However, he has not been a winner since 2003 and there is no guarantee that he still has it. I personally think that he does and that we will be successful, but other people are allowed (yes, even if they didn't play a D1 sport) to criticize Coach Majerus, especially until he takes us to the NCAA tournament.

-Rick Majerus has many things going for him: He is a good strategist, good scouter, good talent evaluator. But he also has some flaws (Jackass (or at least sometimes displaying that to the media and fans,maybe even recruits), inability to answer a question without bringing up Andre Miller and Mormon missions, health, and others. People have the right to raise complaints about any and all of those things. Especially for a coach making so much money.

Sorry that you are so frustrated. You are an intense, credible, reliable poster, and I would assume you "get it" as it relates to the constructive feedback but some others do not.... we have a lot of newer posters lately with Billiken's success. I was not addressing you directly, was I?

So for the others, to me, successfull long term experience is important in life, I go by that, not by those who talk a good game but never did any of it.

A poster said something like "if RM can criticize KM, our best player, then WE can criticize him". Horse hockey.

All good coaches provide constructive criticsm to even their best players. And the players mostly want it if they have a good head on their shoulders.

Will Coach K tell his whole team "great job, keep it going", and leave it at that? NO. He will support and encourage them but then point out things that need to be improved, to Singler, Smith, etc. Some publicly. The harsher stuff privately.

I say, the coach has the right to do so.... but not an internet board guy with no experience or credibility with a clear gripe and continuous agenda.

I know RM is "more than" eccentric... and as I stated before, his politics are 180 degrees away from mine (WTF, he supported Obama and Gore, but he still is best for my Billikens!).

BUT HE IS THE BEST THING TO HAPPEN TO SLU BASKETBALL, maybe ever. Probably ever. What a huge flaw re: Andre Miller. Get rid of him! By the way, he has not been bringing up Andre Miller lately as much, now that things are going well here... by the way, who was he supposed to talk about in his past? If you were in his shoes, when you got here, you would have never bring up Andre Miller? :rolleyes:

Also had a son who was D-1 varsity athlete, BCS school. So shoot me.

Roy, I don't think you are a martyr. I just think you are trying to be one. If it isn't about you then I'm confused because it seems to be pretty clear it can't be about Paul.

You don't need to argue for the little guy when the little guy offers up the idea and agrees to it. Get a grip. This isn't about your pets Knollmeyer and Thomson and McGuire. It is a completely different scenario. You might be singing out of the same book but you flipped to the wrong page.

If you were 15 feet away, then we were sitting next to each other. He didn't just say he was "questioning Seyfert." He said he was questioning whether they needed to find a new place for him to play. It is interesting to me that you didn't immediately log on to this website and let everyone know that you couldn't believe Sodie would have thought of doing something so cruel. Yet, you are willing to speculate and gossip about what you are worried Majerus might end up doing, even though he has said nothing about any of the current players.

Guest BillikenReport

Don't forget that Roy also complained that Daniel Lisch wasn't given a fair chance to continue his career at SLU after his gift scholarship from Majerus for his freshman season.

The same Lisch that scored a total of 17 points in 18 games for 6-13 D-3 Fontbonne this season.

http://www.fontbonne.edu/athletics/teams/m...seasonstats.htm

This is another example of someone trying to find a way to push the agenda that Majerus is a big fat meanie.

I was in the gym at Whitfield School when Majerus first found out who Paul Eckerle was. I was among a group of people, including Earl Austin Jr., who told Majerus about Eckerle and encouraged the coach to give him a look.

The fact that Eckerle spent three years on scholarship at SLU probably far exceeded most peoples' expectations, likely including Paul's own expectations. Eckerle's situation is nothing like if someone is asked to transfer this spring to free up a scholarship, though I've heard enough about other kids considering transferring for one reason or another that I'm willing to wait to see what happens before passing judgment on the coaching staff.

Also had a son who was D-1 varsity athlete, BCS school. So shoot me.

I dont want to shoot you, but that doesn't mean you need to throw that out in every conversation. It comes across as you wanting to seem better/more knowledgeable than the rest of us.

That's interesting. You don't seem to chime in about the facts when everyone is attacking Majerus with rumors, speculation, and complete gossip.

Maybe that's because I was there to hear what Soderberg said about that situation, but haven't heard Majerus in person at all.

Maybe some people just want to be polarizing and cliquish. You seem to see "sides" and want to lump everyone into one side or another, and you seem to want to ascribe the same opinion Roy has to me, even though I've never supported the extremity of his stance.

And I think what I posted helped your argument, but you're acting like I'm attacking it.

If you were 15 feet away, then we were sitting next to each other. He didn't just say he was "questioning Seyfert." He said he was questioning whether they needed to find a new place for him to play. It is interesting to me that you didn't immediately log on to this website and let everyone know that you couldn't believe Sodie would have thought of doing something so cruel. Yet, you are willing to speculate and gossip about what you are worried Majerus might end up doing, even though he has said nothing about any of the current players.

had he truly cut him, i would have been extremely angry and would have.

what is my gossip and speculation about the current players? i will be anxious to know what i said. if you are referring to eckerle, again, i didnt start the thread only commented on the subject matter brought up by others.

Don't forget that Roy also complained that Daniel Lisch wasn't given a fair chance to continue his career at SLU after his gift scholarship from Majerus for his freshman season.

nate, why dont you find the post where i said this. thanks in advance. you can apologize for that lie when you realize it was never said.

i think you will find i didnt appreciate some of the treatment of the lisch's but i dont think you will find i said anything about getting a fair chance to continue his career at slu. in fact, i said in hindsight, that the lisch's should have never put daniel at slu and it was trouble waiting to happen.

i was indeed happy initially for the opportunity, but it quickly became apparent once the season started that this wasnt a good move.

nate, why dont you find the post where i said this. thanks in advance. you can apologize for that lie when you realize it was never said.

i think you will find i didnt appreciate some of the treatment of the lisch's but i dont think you will find i said anything about getting a fair chance to continue his career at slu. in fact, i said in hindsight, that the lisch's should have never put daniel at slu and it was trouble waiting to happen.

i was indeed happy initially for the opportunity, but it quickly became apparent once the season started that this wasnt a good move.

You've been saying DLisch got a raw deal for a year now. I'd find the posts but its not worth it you will continue to be a stubborn ass when it comes to this subject.

Oh please! I've had enough of Roy's unnecessary shots at Majerus for causes he doesn't even believe in! He pretends that its because he cares about these young men to make his case when he only cares about lobbying hatred towards Majerus.

i thought we were supposed to stick to topic?????????????????????