Lutz out at Charlotte

davidlee

when lutz first took over for charlotte back in the cusa days, i liked lutz a lot. however, i thought as time went by lutz got worse at coaching the games. he was probably burned out.

when lutz first took over for charlotte back in the cusa days, i liked lutz a lot. however, i thought as time went by lutz got worse at coaching the games. he was probably burned out.

It seemed like Lutz was good for a T a game during his team's lost sojourns into St. Louis. He was a favorite adversary for my son and me, right below Huggy Bear. We'd say, "T him up, Bobby Lutz."

It seemed like Lutz was good for a T a game during his team's lost sojourns into St. Louis. He was a favorite adversary for my son and me, right below Huggy Bear. We'd say, "T him up, Bobby Lutz."

i will say as he got older his hair got prettier. never seen a head of hair so perfectly aligned that didnt move as bobby's.

In other coaching news, McDermott will be back at Iowa State. This relates to SLU because it could make getting Will Clyburn more difficult. It sounds like the reason McDermott is staying is because it would be very costly to make him go away.

In other coaching news, McDermott will be back at Iowa State. This relates to SLU because it could make getting Will Clyburn more difficult. It sounds like the reason McDermott is staying is because it would be very costly to make him go away.

Other coaching news, Todd Lickliter was fired today by Iowa.

Other coaching news, Todd Lickliter was fired today by Iowa.

For every coach that leaves a mid major like Butler for what seem to be greener pastures there is a Lickliter or McDermott that don't make it and will start over from square 1.

i will say as he got older his hair got prettier. never seen a head of hair so perfectly aligned that didnt move as bobby's.

Mike Bush may be his only competition in that category.

I wonder what would have happened had Lutz been able to get Beasley to keep his commitment. Didn't Lutz recruit Bill Walker too?

Mike Bush may be his only competition in that category.

I wonder what would have happened had Lutz been able to get Beasley to keep his commitment. Didn't Lutz recruit Bill Walker too?

no way lutz could compete with huggy on the beasley thing. that entire kstate recruiting class was as dirty done as they come. remember, huggy had absolutely no ncaa chains binding him that entire summer. who knows what took place to put that class together.

i do not recall walker ever committing to charlotte. i think he was huggy's from about 8th grade on.

no way lutz could compete with huggy on the beasley thing. that entire kstate recruiting class was as dirty done as they come. remember, huggy had absolutely no ncaa chains binding him that entire summer. who knows what took place to put that class together.

i do not recall walker ever committing to charlotte. i think he was huggy's from about 8th grade on.

Walker was a Cincinnati kid from the start, that's correct. So it was only natural for him to go to KSU when Huggy Bear went there.

I often wonder how nice the boost would have been if Charlotte had Beasley for a season. The A10 wasn't as good as it was this year when he was a freshman at K-State, so that would have been good to have.

Lutz has a sweet Hair Helmet and Molest-ache

UNCC didn't really have anything prior Lutz right? He had some good years but nothing lately. Charlotte is nice but a lot of recruiting competition out there ACC, then some good mid-majors too.

He was HC for 12 years with 8 post season trips 5 NCAA and 3 NIT. Last NCAA trip was 2005.

I'm really sad sitting here thinking well that's not too bad. 2000 was a long time ago.

Lutz has a sweet Hair Helmet and Molest-ache

UNCC didn't really have anything prior Lutz right? He had some good years but nothing lately. Charlotte is nice but a lot of recruiting competition out there ACC, then some good mid-majors too.

We had a former Duke assistant by the name of Jeff Mullins in the 80's and 90's that brought Charlotte basketball back from the dead. He got us to the NCAA tournament on a consistent basis and into CUSA. After him we had Melvin Watkins who was on the UNCC final four team in 1977 who also had a great deal of success. Enough success at least to get him big money at Texas A&M. He didn't do much there however. Lutz certainly didn't build Charlotte basketball into anything, he simply sustained what Mullins and Watkins built for a few years until everything came crashing down in the last few years.

Ok thanks for the history. I was unsure about UNCC pre-Lutz.

Still in the litmus test for the job should be does the new HC have a molestache or not.

We had a former Duke assistant by the name of Jeff Mullins in the 80's and 90's that brought Charlotte basketball back from the dead. He got us to the NCAA tournament on a consistent basis and into CUSA. After him we had Melvin Watkins who was on the UNCC final four team in 1977 who also had a great deal of success. Enough success at least to get him big money at Texas A&M. He didn't do much there however. Lutz certainly didn't build Charlotte basketball into anything, he simply sustained what Mullins and Watkins built for a few years until everything came crashing down in the last few years.

Trivia Note for the younger generation. Jeff Mullins played for the old St. Louis Hawks(now Atlanta Hawks)

Trivia Note for the younger generation. Jeff Mullins played for the old St. Louis Hawks(now Atlanta Hawks)

Very deep trivia note: Mullins was an All-American at Duke in '63 and '64. A truly great college player. Mullins was also friends with a Duke grad who lived across the street from my family. In the Summer of '64, when I was 8, Mullins paid the guy a visit. The grad knew that I was a basketball fan even at such a young age, so he invited me to his house to meet the great Jeff Mullins. Quite a thrill.

I knew when I turned on the tv this season and he was coaching without shoes that he was on his way out...

+1

that was for a charity event

I was at the game vs. Charlotte when Lutz was coaching barefoot. Had something to do with fund raising for the Haiti earthquake. Lutz is a good citizen, good PR guy who loves his Niners, being an alum. He's from the area, and has coached at small colleges in the Charlotte area prior to his 12 years there.

It's a nearly impossible situation there. Little buzz in Charlotte for the home team, poor crowds, dominated by the ACC, especially UNC, which is huge in Charlotte. Charlotte has more UNC grads living there than any city anywhere. Feel sorry for the guy. 8 games ago they're ready to bust into the Top25, and now he's unemployed.

Ok thanks for the history. I was unsure about UNCC pre-Lutz.

Still in the litmus test for the job should be does the new HC have a molestache or not.

If white, windowless vans start appearing around the AD's office, we'll know that molestaches are interviewing for the job.