Thoughts from Atlantic City

I don't want to discuss the game with this post. As we all know the Billikens got smothered by the Rams. Therefore, I won't talk about it, but rather use this thread to talk about my experience attending the Atlantic 10 Tournament this Friday.

For all the naysayers that think SLU should never join the Missouri Valley for fear of downgrading our level of competition, I say this: Attend a game at the conference tournament in Atlantic City. Before attending the Billiken-Ram game, I generally agreed with SLU's current conference affiliation with the Atlantic 10. However, now I'm convinced that SLU is not in the right conference. I will pinpoint three points I found most relevant:

1) The Crowd. I counted 11 Billiken supporters (not including the contingent of parents sitting behind the bench) as I walked through Boardwalk Hall. For the 4th seed in the tournament with an outside chance of an NCAA berth, this indicates that the distance is just too far. When the average student doesn't have a realistic opportunity to attend the conference tournament (keep in mind SLU is on Spring Break), that is a problem and enforces the idea that our university is playing in the wrong conference. Not surprisingly, it was basically a home game for the Rams. Unless SLU can send a couple bus loads of students to Atlantic City next year, our Billikens are fighting a losing battle. Teams like Temple, Rhode Island, Dayton, and even St. Bonaventure had sizable cheering sections. We will never have a chance to win the A-10 conference tournament by playing against three hostile crowds in as many days. It's simply not realistic, no matter the quality of our team.

2) Animosity directed at SLU. I overheard numerous conversations (more than six) belittling and mocking SLU. Whether it's Majerus' large personality or geographic location, it became obvious not many opposing fans like or respected the Billikens. As I recall, SLU joined the A-10 because Father Biondi wanted to establish a presence in the Northeast. However, my experience indicates that these snobby East Coast types want nothing to do with SLU. Whether the fans were cheering for Xavier, Dayton, Charlotte, or Rhode Island, they seemed weary of SLU's affiliation with the Atlantic 10. Hell, I even overheard a couple of Bonnie fans making fun of SLU.

3) Officiating. I know it's the easiest excuse following a loss and I'm not saying we should have won the game, because in all honesty we should have lost. We played absolutely terrible basketball. With that said, the officiating at SLU games this year has been atrocious and sadly continued with the game this Friday. For some reason, there is an anti-SLU bias in the A-10, which includes the fans and the referees. Did anyone watch the game on television? Did you see some of the calls? Questionable call after questionable call was made against SLU. A few Temple fans I was sitting next to were originally casually pulling for Rhode Island, but quickly switched to our side after witnessing the horrendous officiating against SLU began cheering if they had attended our university. They were (and myself included) along with several obnoxious Ram fans (they couldn't even complain when a Billiken drew a foul) were suspended in disbelief at the nature of the calls being made (Kwamain's 'charge', Ellis getting hacked on a 3-point attempt, etc.).

After speaking to an assistant coach in the airport, my thoughts about the tournement were reinforced. He described the A-10 Tournament as 'brutal' for SLU. Furthermore, he explained the nature of the tournament experience as this: "SLU is essentially playing a road game, every game in this tournament. Expecting to win three straight road games in this league is too much to simply expect. This conference is too good." In addition, he stated the team needed four commercial flights to get back to campus. If someone who was watching or attending the game would please comment and add their experiences upon my reflections that would be much appreciated. Please keep in mind that this thread is not simply senseless rants following a tough loss. I have stewed these thoughts for over a day and would like to hear from others.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't want to discuss the game with this post. As we all know the Billikens got smothered by the Rams. Therefore, I won't talk about it, but rather use this thread to talk about my experience attending the Atlantic 10 Tournament this Friday.

For all the naysayers that think SLU should never join the Missouri Valley for fear of downgrading our level of competition, I say this: Attend a game at the conference tournament in Atlantic City. Before attending the Billiken-Ram game, I generally agreed with SLU's current conference affiliation with the Atlantic 10. However, now I'm convinced that SLU is not in the right conference. I will pinpoint three points I found most relevant:

1) The Crowd. I counted 11 Billiken supporters (not including the contingent of parents sitting behind the bench) as I walked through Boardwalk Hall. For the 4th seed in the tournament with an outside chance of an NCAA berth, this indicates that the distance is just too far. When the average student doesn't have a realistic opportunity to attend the conference tournament (keep in mind SLU is on Spring Break), that is a problem and enforces the idea that our university is playing in the wrong conference. Not surprisingly, it was basically a home game for the Rams. Unless SLU can send a couple bus loads of students to Atlantic City next year, our Billikens are fighting a losing battle. Teams like Temple, Rhode Island, Dayton, and even St. Bonaventure had sizable cheering sections. We will never have a chance to win the A-10 conference tournament by playing against three hostile crowds in as many days. It's simply not realistic, no matter the quality of our team.

2) Animosity directed at SLU. I overheard numerous conversations (more than six) belittling and mocking SLU. Whether it's Majerus' large personality or geographic location, it became obvious not many opposing fans like or respected the Billikens. As I recall, SLU joined the A-10 because Father Biondi wanted to establish a presence in the Northeast. However, my experience indicates that these snobby East Coast types want nothing to do with SLU. Whether the fans were cheering for Xavier, Dayton, Charlotte, or Rhode Island, they seemed weary of SLU's affiliation with the Atlantic 10. Hell, I even overheard a couple of Bonnie fans making fun of SLU.

3) Officiating. I know it's the easiest excuse following a loss and I'm not saying we should have won the game, because in all honesty we should have lost. We played absolutely terrible basketball. With that said, the officiating at SLU games this year has been atrocious and sadly continued with the game this Friday. For some reason, there is an anti-SLU bias in the A-10, which includes the fans and the referees. Did anyone watch the game on television? Did you see some of the calls? Questionable call after questionable call was made against SLU. A few Temple fans I was sitting next to were originally casually pulling for Rhode Island, but quickly switched to our side after witnessing the horrendous officiating against SLU began cheering if they had attended our university. They were (and myself included) along with several obnoxious Ram fans (they couldn't even complain when a Billiken drew a foul) were suspended in disbelief at the nature of the calls being made (Kwamain's 'charge', Ellis getting hacked on a 3-point attempt, etc.).

After speaking to an assistant coach in the airport, my thoughts about the tournement were reinforced. He described the A-10 Tournament as 'brutal' for SLU. Furthermore, he explained the nature of the tournament experience as this: "SLU is essentially playing a road game, every game in this tournament. Expecting to win three straight road games in this league is too much to simply expect. This conference is too good." In addition, he stated the team needed four commercial flights to get back to campus. If someone who was watching or attending the game would please comment and add their experiences upon my reflections that would be much appreciated. Please keep in mind that this thread is not simply senseless rants following a tough loss. I have stewed these thoughts for over a day and would like to hear from others.

That is a sad assessment. But again, where do you want us to go. MVC with their one NCAA Bid...

We are in the best place and I disagree with the officiating...we had multiple home games where the refs helped us out. The refs did not solely make us lose any games this year as I believe they have in the past.

Travel is tough...I agree, but we belong with Temple, Dayton, and Xavier, not Indiana State, SIUC, and Illinois State. Just my opinion.

Some of those who disrespect us now may be in for quite a surprise in the years to come. We haven't really earned much respect to this point and our coach has certainly made comments that others in the conference find offensive, hell we find them offensive. We appear to be on the way to being an A-10 contender and that will change a lot of the perception. I don't think the A-10 is ideal in a lot of respects but I would prefer to wait it out until a better prospect presents itself. I do not see one now.

You are absolutely right.

Watch out, the Catholic-aholics are gonna demonize you for this! "We need to play like minded schools!!!!" :rolleyes:

Let all our basketball kids sit in airports waiting for connections and our other athletic teams take buses or drive cars to RI, NJ, Mass and The Bronx!

Maybe the funniest are the guys that swear the A-10 refs are fair to us.

And do not forget, this year the A-10 has done better than the MVC!

Ask any graduate who played D1 hoops, or other sports @ SLU... most will tell you, this A-10 thing is "not good".

As someone that investigated travelling to AC for the tournament it seems to me as simple as flying into Philly on any of the US Air or Southwest direct flights and driving the 1 hour to AC. If SLU is making 4 connections then the travel secretary is a freaking idiot.

As someone that investigated travelling to AC for the tournament it seems to me as simple as flying into Philly on any of the US Air or Southwest direct flights and driving the 1 hour to AC. If SLU is making 4 connections then the travel secretary is a freaking idiot.

Not four connections. Four separate flights. (i.e. they split up some of the players and coaches).

Regarding point #2, who cares if there is animosity directed at SLU by opposing fans? In the future, I hope that only increases. That means that we are doing well. There usually isn't much animosity for bad teams, like Fordham or LaSalle. Fact is, the Bills snuck up on a lot of teams and won more than our share for a team projected 12th in the preseason. The Bills were a thorn in the side for many teams. Of course they are not going to like us for that. As for Majerus, he is by far the most recognizable and successful coach in the conference. People are going to pick on him for that and his appearance. Who cares? It will make it all the more enjoyable when he continues to beat these teams in the future. Does the casual fan even know who the coach at UMass or St. Bonaventure or LaSalle is? There is no reason to belittle or mock a team that finished 4th in the conference. We are going to be handful next year and the year after. I don't care if the Bills are not liked, as long as we are victorious. Anybody who does not respect what Majerus did with this young team is just stupid.

Regarding point #2, who cares if there is animosity directed at SLU by opposing fans? In the future, I hope that only increases. That means that we are doing well. There usually isn't much animosity for bad teams, like Fordham or LaSalle. Fact is, the Bills snuck up on a lot of teams and won more than our share for a team projected 12th in the preseason. The Bills were a thorn in the side for many teams. Of course they are not going to like us for that. As for Majerus, he is by far the most recognizable and successful coach in the conference. People are going to pick on him for that and his appearance. Who cares? It will make it all the more enjoyable when he continues to beat these teams in the future. Does the casual fan even know who the coach at UMass or St. Bonaventure or LaSalle is? There is no reason to belittle or mock a team that finished 4th in the conference. We are going to be handful next year and the year after. I don't care if the Bills are not liked, as long as we are victorious. Anybody who does not respect what Majerus did with this young team is just stupid.

I understand your reasoning, but this lack of respect is shocking to me. Even though Xavier and Temple just edged us out this season, I certainly don't hate them. I respect them. I felt as if that was the general consensus in AC amongst other teams. For seemingly no reason, we are the black sheep of the league. It's utterly ridiculous.

I understand your reasoning, but this lack of respect is shocking to me. Even though Xavier and Temple just edged us out this season, I certainly don't hate them. I respect them. I felt as if that was the general consensus in AC amongst other teams. For seemingly no reason, we are the black sheep of the league. It's utterly ridiculous.

If animosity in a conference mattered the SEC would not be a conference at all. There is some out and out hatred in that conference. My Uncle will not watch Forest Gump because he played for Bammer. That is a minor piece of hate.

Also our coach has been highly critical of SLU in the conference lately so of course there is some distaste. I don't care. When we start winning it will increase and that will start next year.

Furthermore, this is so tiring a subject. SLU just paid to get out of CUSA we aren't going to pay to get out of the A10 in just a few years. The conference jumping is expensive.

I guess it would be really tough for SLU in the NCAA too. We will probably be up against schools with much larger fan bases and therefore, so many more fans at all the games. Maybe we should look at that NAIA or DIII where our fan base will be comparable.

In 02 I went to the CUSA tourney in Cincy. It is a 4 hr. drive from STL. It was a home game for most of the teams there from Cincy and UofL. No one had any respect for SLU. Fans of other teams ganged up on us and we only had about 22 fans there. Oh yeah and SLU choked in the first game. Sound familiar?

If animosity in a conference mattered the SEC would not be a conference at all. There is some out and out hatred in that conference. My Uncle will not watch Forest Gump because he played for Bammer. That is a minor piece of hate.

Also our coach has been highly critical of SLU in the conference lately so of course there is some distaste. I don't care. When we start winning it will increase and that will start next year.

Furthermore, this is so tiring a subject. SLU just paid to get out of CUSA we aren't going to pay to get out of the A10 in just a few years. The conference jumping is expensive.

I guess it would be really tough for SLU in the NCAA too. We will probably be up against schools with much larger fan bases and therefore, so many more fans at all the games. Maybe we should look at that NAIA or DIII where our fan base will be comparable.

In 02 I went to the CUSA tourney in Cincy. It is a 4 hr. drive from STL. It was a home game for most of the teams there from Cincy and UofL. No one had any respect for SLU. Fans of other teams ganged up on us and we only had about 22 fans there. Oh yeah and SLU choked in the first game. Sound familiar?

If your worried about fan base the MVC is the LAST PLACE I want to go! I went to the MVC tourney and while I dislike most of the teams in that conference and think it would be an awful place considering they have the best fans anywhere! The teams had crowds there that would rival and maybe surpass that of fans at Chaifetz.

If your worried about fan base the MVC is the LAST PLACE I want to go! I went to the MVC tourney and while I dislike most of the teams in that conference and think it would be an awful place considering they have the best fans anywhere! The teams had crowds there that would rival and maybe surpass that of fans at Chaifetz.

Am looking at the fan attendance statistics wrong. I only see 2 teams that out draw the Bills, Dayton and X.

IF SLU had a team with the talent and top 25 ranking of a Temple, it would be 'standing room only' at the Chaifetz. Teams like RI and Temple should be the ones embarrassed.

Am looking at the fan attendance statistics wrong. I only see 2 teams that out draw the Bills, Dayton and X.

IF SLU had a team with the talent and top 25 ranking of a Temple, it would be 'standing room only' at the Chaifetz. Teams like RI and Temple should be the ones embarrassed.

I'm saying that they are more active and more passionate than Billiken fans as a whole. Though they don't draw better than the Billikens the fans they do get are very loud. They are nucking futs about their teams!

That is a sad assessment. But again, where do you want us to go. MVC with their one NCAA Bid...

We are in the best place and I disagree with the officiating...we had multiple home games where the refs helped us out. The refs did not solely make us lose any games this year as I believe they have in the past.

Travel is tough...I agree, but we belong with Temple, Dayton, and Xavier, not Indiana State, SIUC, and Illinois State. Just my opinion.

you forget that not very long ago it was the mvc that had 4 or 5 bids with the a 10 maybe getting 2...these two conferences are about equal in my opinion

you forget that not very long ago it was the mvc that had 4 or 5 bids with the a 10 maybe getting 2...these two conferences are about equal in my opinion

When you look at overall history, non-conference matchups, name coaches, NCAA Tournament records, and number of alumni in the NBA, there's no comparison. The Atlantic 10 is head-and-shoulders above the Missouri Valley. I know it's a point of regional pride, but the Missouri Valley can't hold the A-10's jock.

When you look at overall history, non-conference matchups, name coaches, NCAA Tournament records, and number of alumni in the NBA, there's no comparison. The Atlantic 10 is head-and-shoulders above the Missouri Valley. I know it's a point of regional pride, but the Missouri Valley can't hold the A-10's jock.

WOAH! Has the world frozen over? +1

It is funny how since BT left SLU, Trey has become increasingly pessimistic. This includes some shots at Willie.

WOAH! Has the world frozen over? +1

I think the question should be, "Has hell frozen over?" unless you're trying to make a point about climate change.

I've been "defending" the decision of the A-10 over the MVC for years. Some people won't be convinced unless we use some relatively strong language.

Just to share my thoughts.

The crowd. It was the typical SLU Conference Tournament crowd. I have been to every conference tournament (minus the last CUSA when I went to the A10) since the Miracle in Memphis, and it was pretty much par for the SLU course. There were more than 11 SLU fans there. Heck, there were four people there related to me. Even when the tourney was in Louisville or Cincy, people wouldn't travel for it. SLU just doesn't travel. SLU actually does a pretty good job at putting on pregame events (Kudos to Meg). Most other teams don't seem to, so there was a room full of SLU fans/alums from the area before the game.

Also, while there were some Rhode Island folks heckling Majerus about the MVC thing, that wasn't everyone. Some Rhode Island fans at the Tropicana were nice about the game, admitting we walloped them earlier this year. Other Temple and Dayton fans were quite nice and offered encouraging words about next year. I did run into Baron's brother at the slot machines...I will keep that conversation offline.

As for the assistant coach's comments, he said "This conference is too good." I would rather be in a too good conference, and travel to Atlantic City than stay home in St. Louis in a worse conference. As for four flights going home, what are you going to do when you don't know if you are leaving Sunday or Saturday?

For the Atlantic 10, I think Atlantic City is a great venue. I am not thrilled about the move to Friday - Sunday, but the crowds were larger this year than in years past...so I may have to swallow that. (I bet Rhode Island would not have been as good at the press if they played the day before)

That year sucked a lot. I think we missed sending it to OT b/c of the clock or a foot on the line.

1) The Crowd. I counted 11 Billiken supporters (not including the contingent of parents sitting behind the bench) as I walked through Boardwalk Hall. For the 4th seed in the tournament with an outside chance of an NCAA berth, this indicates that the distance is just too far.

since this was your first thought, it must be the main reason you think we shouldnt be in the a-10.

i have attended about 15 billikens out of town conference tourneys in my lifetime and there has never been one where we had more that 15 or 20 fans attend the opening round game.

couple that normal animosity with the truly stupid set up of a play in round on campus sites and the fact that we went down to the last weekend not knowing if we were getting a bye or not, why would you expect a turnout? no one could really plan the trip. second add the high cost of atlantic city,

i can guarantee you that if the billikens were in the mvc and the tourney gets moved to kansas city or rotated between program cities (it wouldnt stay in st louis if the billikens joined the conference) we would have had 14 attendees. less if it was in wichita or des moines or omaha.