Majerus will be on 1380 at 9 am

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It has been at least 6 years since I ate Taco Bell and did not eat a Cheesy Gordita Crunch at some point in my meal.

Come join me at Dell Taco before a game next year! :P

And perhaps those are just euphemisms, and that's how I had five kids in three years. :P

From Community:

[Annie: Dia de los Muertos, or Day of the Dead, is sometimes referred to as Mexican Halloween.

Senor Chang: Which is actually quite offensive to people familiar with Mexican Halloween as a sexual position.

Senor Chang: [about Professor Slater] Is there a breeze here? Because someone struck out!

Jeff Winger: She blew you off too, Chang.

Senor Chang: Is that what you have to fall back on? Look at me, bro. I've got the body of a fifth grader. If I was working with what you've got, she'd be at the Comfort Inn right now giving me a Mexican Halloween.

Unfortunately, redshirting doesn't solve the problem of handing out too many scholarships.

Assuming that JR get's a medical redshirt, adding a JUCO to a mix of 4 JR, 6 SO and 3 FR would sure make for an unbalanced class load with 11 of our 13 players being JR's or Sophomores next year. If we are indeed still recruiting one more I think adding a Freshman makes more sense (assuming that it would be a sophomore that would leave)

(Does Louisiana Tech fly charters? For that matter, does Hawai'i?

While this article may be a little out dated, it is from 2004, it chronicles one long season of travel for the Hawaii Rainbows: http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/men...it-hawaii_x.htm

At the end it states that the players are allowed to keep their frequent flier miles which would indicate that they are flying commercial.

As a frequent flier miles ***** myself, I fly every week for work this would be a great deal.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of Kevin Shortal

Assuming that JR get's a medical redshirt, adding a JUCO to a mix of 4 JR, 6 SO and 3 FR would sure make for an unbalanced class load with 11 of our 13 players being JR's or Sophomores next year. If we are indeed still recruiting one more I think adding a Freshman makes more sense (assuming that it would be a sophomore that would leave)

Guys, guys, guys.

We have 13 scholarships spoken for next year. We aren't in a position, as it stands now, to add another recruit. Kappy I can't follow your math in your post. (4 Jr./ 6 Soph/3 Fr make 13 so we couldn't add a JUCO or a FR)

REDSHIRTS count as a scholarship-as one of the 13 allowed.

I heard PM with Frank yesterday and he indicated that they were still recruiting 1 or 2 players-that they are in on 4 players and hope to add at least one of them. That one (or two) makes 14 (or 15) meaning someones gotta go. No sense speculating on who, but I'm sure we all can look at this squad and guess who might want to leave for more PT. As it is right now, adding the 2 Chi. signees someone is going to get less minutes. If MM is as good as advertised you can subtract 18-24 minutes from the 80 currently available at the 1 and 2 spots. I don't think you can project CS or KC as opening up many 1 and 2 minutes while moving into more time at the 3, since DE will be taking some of those minutes as will CE when he is in the lineup with any 2 of the following WR/JS or CR.

You're right. What I meant to say is that I didn't want to name names.

Especially until after the season is over. As we all know, Strickland went public with names and it was just not right. RM is building a team. Some kids may want to go and others might get a push. Either way, the season needs to be over, RM needs to have a frank talk with the kids, the kids need to make some tough choices for their own future and then Billiken basketball needs to move forward. Naming names or speculating does nothing but to distract and make the situation worse.

Yeah, we should pin the following list....note the lack of Paul Eckerle's name

1 - Kwamain Mitchell

2 - Justin Jordan

3 - Femi John

4 - Brian Conklin

5 - Christian Salecich

6 - Jon Smith

7 - Jeff Reid

8 - Kyle Cassity

9 - Cody Ellis

10 - Cory Remuken

11 - Willie Reed

12 - MIKE MCCALL

13 - Dwayne Evans

Hard to say what is the deal with Jeff Reid. His health is a big question-mark. In this case I can't fault Rick for offering to one more recruit for the next class.

And just to add.... how good would it be for RM to say, son, we really need you to step up and come off the bench this weekend in Atlantic City. Even though you might only get 2 or 3 minutes, they are really important minutes and we need your contributions to win. And, oh by the way, those rumors are true. You really don't have a good enough shot, dribble, defensive presence or ability to rebound, so next year, I suggest you consider going elsewhere.... in fact, I'll help you find another place. Now forget about all that for now and give me the best 3 minutes of your career!!

As to any current player who might end up elsewhere, this year - unlike any I ever remember - all of our players are what I'd consider to be D1 and all could leave SLU and stay at the D1 level. No need to choose between no playing time at SLU v. low-level D2 or D3 ball.

all of our players are what I'd consider to be D1 and all could leave SLU and stay at the D1 level. No need to choose between no playing time at SLU v. low-level D2 or D3 ball.

-amazing what recruiting d1 talent can do!!! thank you men's bball staff!!! keep it coming!!!

Is it unlikely that these kids come in on academic scholarship and are "walk-ons?" Dayton has 16 guys, Temple has 15 guys, Xavier has 14 guys.. so how do they do it?

Once a player signs a letter-of-intent, the school is obligated to give them an athletic scholarship. Players who come in on an academic scholarship, if they get a full ride, are not likely to be basketball players and are not able to work with the coaches in the offseason, meaning they aren't really incorporated into the team.

Every team can have walk-ons, but they don't tend to be full-ride academic scholarship students, because they have to give up a lot of time for studying in favor of playing ball with the team in pick-up ball (but not working out with the coaches).

SLU's walk-on is Darrin Young. There may be another walk-on next year, too, but it won't be any of the recruited guys who've been offered a scholly.

Guest BillikenReport

SLU's walk-on is Darrin Young. There may be another walk-on next year, too, but it won't be any of the recruited guys who've been offered a scholly.

If he returns, and I'm told the coaching staff wants him to, Young will be a walk-on again next year. Paul Eckerle will become a walk-on. That gives SLU two walk-ons in addition to the 13 scholarship players they will have.

So SLU will likely have 15 players next year or possibly even 16 if they can find another quality walk-on.

thicks, i dont think a loi is all that binding to the school. it is indeed binding by the student athlete but i think the school can withdraw with little to no reason with no negative backlash other than recruiting ammo for opposing coaches.

i would think that all in all a coach wont go back on it in most cases unless the school has very good reason like an arrest for bank robbery or a social issue of some other sort.

i recall a college last year (but cant remember who) who reneged on a loi on a baseball catcher that intentionally missed a pitch in an effort to let the ump take a high hard fast ball unexpectedly. nothing lost by the school.

Guys, guys, guys.

We have 13 scholarships spoken for next year. We aren't in a position, as it stands now, to add another recruit. Kappy I can't follow your math in your post. (4 Jr./ 6 Soph/3 Fr make 13 so we couldn't add a JUCO or a FR)

REDSHIRTS count as a scholarship-as one of the 13 allowed.

I heard PM with Frank yesterday and he indicated that they were still recruiting 1 or 2 players-that they are in on 4 players and hope to add at least one of them. That one (or two) makes 14 (or 15) meaning someones gotta go. No sense speculating on who, but I'm sure we all can look at this squad and guess who might want to leave for more PT. As it is right now, adding the 2 Chi. signees someone is going to get less minutes. If MM is as good as advertised you can subtract 18-24 minutes from the 80 currently available at the 1 and 2 spots. I don't think you can project CS or KC as opening up many 1 and 2 minutes while moving into more time at the 3, since DE will be taking some of those minutes as will CE when he is in the lineup with any 2 of the following WR/JS or CR.

I was commenting on prior posts which debated recruiting a JUCO vs. a Frosh (Loe) and wanted to point out that if JR receives a medical redshirt we will have 13 scholarship players next year. I pointed out the class breakdown (as it would be for the 2010-11 season) to make the point that if we do indeed add another player, then someone would have to leave and I think it would be best to recruit a freshman to even out the classes a bit.

thicks, i dont think a loi is all that binding to the school. it is indeed binding by the student athlete but i think the school can withdraw with little to no reason with no negative backlash other than recruiting ammo for opposing coaches.

By signing a National Letter of Intent am I guaranteed that I will play on a team?

No. Signing a National Letter of Intent does not guarantee you playing time or a spot on the team. Rather, by signing a National Letter of Intent, the institution with which you signed agrees to provide you athletics financial aid for the academic year.

I don't know all of the stipulations, but I suspect that if the school wants to pull the spot for another recruit, as opposed to keeping a bad citizen off of the team, it would still have to eat the promised scholarship. So then the question is, Does that scholarship given to a player not on the team count against the roster? If the answer to that is, "Yes," then it means the LOI is binding for the school.