Majerus will be on 1380 at 9 am

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't see this posted anywhere, but Majerus will be on "The Morning After" at 9:00. It ought to be interesting since on the show they talk about how SLU never wants anyone to know about the team with their lack of media exposure.

High Lights:

1.) Success is due to players' passion for game.

2.) Recruiting success: due to his contacts and staff. Hard to recruit against Mizzery and ILL. St. Louis is not a HS hotbed so not many opps for locals. Cited losses to Ill and Wash.

3.) PE will give up his scholie, I guess this is where the 3rd recruit will take over. Which he said they have irons in the fire.

4.) Compared McCall to Andre Miller, ie best pg in LA and best pg in CHI.

5.) The A-10 issue was raised again. Travel's effects on academics were cited.

6.) Here was a surprise, Hawaii offered him a couple of weeks ago. Not interested nor in going anywhere any place else.

7.) Lack of Buzz about SLU, commentator said, anythoughts to make program more accessible, read no radio show, he got defensive here. Saying he always makes himself available. Doesn't think SLU knows how to promote itself, lack of tradition, and shouldn't charge students for tickets.

8.) He wouldn't eat at Taco Bell for free.

9.) MVC again raised, likes A-10 competition, but not good for academics.

10.) He did say he weighed 300lbs or almost.

11.) Said SLU academics better than his alma mater MU.

12.) Was asked about his comfort level at SLU, read how long are you going to be at SLU. He lives in the moment, but then talked about future recruits. So, no reason to worry.

13.) Isn't in favor of expansion for the dance. He has consternation about playing in the NIT, due again to academics. And for sure won't go to the other two.

14.) We're playing in ESPN Cancun tourney next year. Should be some great competition there.

15.) Odds and ends, restaurant talk, Yugoslavia basketball....

High Lights:

1.) Success is due to players' passion for game.

2.) Recruiting success: due to his contacts and staff. Hard to recruit against Mizzery and ILL. St. Louis is not a HS hotbed so not many opps for locals. Cited losses to Ill and Wash.

3.) PE will give up his scholie, I guess this is where the 3rd recruit will take over. Which he said they have irons in the fire.

4.) Compared McCall to Andre Miller, ie best pg in LA and best pg in CHI.

5.) The A-10 issue was raised again. Travel's effects on academics were cited.

6.) Here was a surprise, Hawaii offered him a couple of weeks ago. Not interested nor in going anywhere any place else.

7.) Lack of Buzz about SLU, commentator said, anythoughts to make program more accessible, read no radio show, he got defensive here. Saying he always makes himself available. Doesn't think SLU knows how to promote itself, lack of tradition, and shouldn't charge students for tickets.

8.) He wouldn't eat at Taco Bell for free.

9.) MVC again raised, likes A-10 competition, but not good for academics.

10.) He did say he weighed 300lbs or almost.

11.) Said SLU academics better than his alma mater MU.

12.) Was asked about his comfort level at SLU, read how long are you going to be at SLU. He lives in the moment, but then talked about future recruits. So, no reason to worry.

13.) Isn't in favor of expansion for the dance. He has consternation about playing in the NIT, due again to academics. And for sure won't go to the other two.

14.) We're playing in ESPN Cancun tourney next year. Should be some great competition there.

15.) Odds and ends, restaurant talk, Yugoslavia basketball....

Great report. Thanks. B)

Guest BillikenReport

Eckerle's scholarship is already accounted for with either Evans or McCall.

Does no one in college athletics know how to write a contract? How in God's green earth was Hawaii even able to contact him midseason (and mid-contract), let alone offer him?

Guest BillikenReport

Does no one in college athletics know how to write a contract? How in God's green earth was Hawaii even able to contact him midseason (and mid-contract), let alone offer him?

He said Hawaii contacted him and mentioned that the Hawaii team traveled less than SLU did this season.

I don't remember hearing anything about a formal offer, but I could be wrong.

Eckerle's scholarship is already accounted for with either Evans or McCall.

Yeah, we should pin the following list....note the lack of Paul Eckerle's name

1 - Kwamain Mitchell

2 - Justin Jordan

3 - Femi John

4 - Brian Conklin

5 - Christian Salecich

6 - Jon Smith

7 - Jeff Reid

8 - Kyle Cassity

9 - Cody Ellis

10 - Cory Remuken

11 - Willie Reed

12 - MIKE MCCALL

13 - Dwayne Evans

+1111234827390487123094

If I got paid to eat TBell I would be a rich rich man.

And if we turn down an NIT bid, I may go ricky clemons on someone

No way I'm not having TB for lunch now since I'm already thinking about it long before lunchtime....

1 - Kwamain Mitchell

2 - Justin Jordan

3 - Femi John

4 - Brian Conklin

5 - Christian Salecich

6 - Jon Smith

7 - Jeff Reid

8 - Kyle Cassity

9 - Cody Ellis

10 - Cory Remuken

11 - Willie Reed

12 - MIKE MCCALL

13 - Dwayne Evans

I said I guessed. I never did do the math. So if we're hot on the trail of another player as he said, one of the above will be go missing in 2010-11?

The Cheesy Gordita Crunch is the only food where I am sad when it is over.

It has been at least 6 years since I ate Taco Bell and did not eat a Cheesy Gordita Crunch at some point in my meal.

He said Hawaii contacted him and mentioned that the Hawaii team traveled less than SLU did this season.

I don't remember hearing anything about a formal offer, but I could be wrong.

I could have have been mistaken, Nate. But I thought I heard the word offer and then he added something about other offers from time to time, but he's not planning on going anywhere. Again, I may have not been listening with a journalistic ear and certainly don't want to start a wave of paranoia rolling over this board like that rogue wave did to that cruise ship.

...the Hawaii team traveled less than SLU did this season.

This is possible in the abstract, but sometimes I wonder if Rick did a couple years in law school.

Hawai'i played all of 9 road games last year. (I guess it's pretty easy to get people to come to your place when your place is in paradise.)

An idea he might have stolen for SLU is that 8 of those 9 games were played in 2-game "proximity" series, where the team flew to the mainland and did back-to-back games. I don't really think he'd dig that style, however, because it meant that they played Saturday/Monday for each one.

I'm also just not seeing him enjoying the Honolulu-Ruston Louisiana-Las Cruces NM-Honolulu commute. (Does Louisiana Tech fly charters? For that matter, does Hawai'i?

It has been at least 6 years since I ate Taco Bell and did not eat a Cheesy Gordita Crunch at some point in my meal.

Sometimes you just gotta think outside the bun. The Godita's a personal favorite as is that empanata desert thing. I won't be trying their shrimp anytime soon though.

I said I guessed. I never did do the math. So if we're hot on the trail of another player as he said, one of the above will be go missing in 2010-11?

Didn't mean to imply you are an idiot or anything...It just has continuously come up in conversation despite the fact that the math has been done over and over again.

Odds are, somebody will leave on their own.

If not, worst case, someone gets red shirted.

Guest BillikenReport

Unfortunately, redshirting doesn't solve the problem of handing out too many scholarships.

1 - Kwamain Mitchell

2 - Justin Jordan

3 - Femi John

4 - Brian Conklin

5 - Christian Salecich

6 - Jon Smith

7 - Third 2010-2011 Signee

8 - Kyle Cassity

9 - Cody Ellis

10 - Cory Remuken

11 - Willie Reed

12 - MIKE MCCALL

13 - Dwayne Evans

This would be my guess.

I'm pretty sure redshirting doesn't help us, but I'm sure Nate would know. I think you are limited to 13 scholarship players, regardless of whether they are actually playing