MVC "apologist"

ACE

If anybody actually didn't believe that there are MVC cheerleaders among our local media, Bernie Miklasz just comes flat out and says it. I give him credit for at least being upfront about it. He is critical of MVC schools for not scheduling better with respect to the RPI. He makes it sound so easy. I am not so sure that MVC schools are ignoring Elgin's goal of scheduling tougher opponents. I suspect that since 2006, when the Valley and other "mid-majors" had some success, that BCS schools became more gun-shy about playing teams like this.

"The only possible minus for UNI is the strength of competition. I'm a longstanding MVC fan and apologist, so it pains me to say this, but the Valley is stuck in a mediocre stretch. The league hasn't had more than one team in the NCAA Tournament since 2006-2007. In '06, the Valley put four teams in the NCAA Tournament, an invasion that caused basketball elitists Billy Packer and Jay Bilas to nearly implode on national TV. And two of the entries, Bradley and Wichita State, advanced to the round of Sweet 16.

Somewhere along the line, the MVC programs foolishly ignored commissioner Doug Elgin's intelligent formula for constructing a sturdy NCAA Tournament résumé. Elgin challenged the league's coaches and athletic directors to pursue more challenging schedules, take on BCS conferences and avoid feasting on cupcakes that would soften their Ratings Percentage Index (RPI)."

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Elgin was on KMOV last night, and was asked about SLU joining the Valley. Doug Vaughn gave the normal MVC propoganda about why SLU should join. Suprisingly, Elgin indicated he was against the MVC adding any teams. He indicated they would have to add 2, and that would necessitate going to 2 divisions and playing unbalanced schedules, which he does not support.

Elgin was very complimentary of Chris May and the basketball program.

Elgin was on KMOV last night, and was asked about SLU joining the Valley. Doug Vaughn gave the normal MVC propoganda about why SLU should join. Suprisingly, Elgin indicated he was against the MVC adding any teams. He indicated they would have to add 2, and that would necessitate going to 2 divisions and playing unbalanced schedules, which he does not support.

Elgin was very complimentary of Chris May and the basketball program.

I saw the interview and while I respect Elgin, I don't believe him when he says he isn't interested. They were interested 5 years ago. The reality is he knows SLU isn't leaving the A-10 any time soon so why should he put himself out there saying that they are interested in adding SLU. there is no upside in it for them. If he thought SLU was ever serious about leaving he'd call May directly and start the talks.

If anybody actually didn't believe that there are MVC cheerleaders among our local media, Bernie Miklasz just comes flat out and says it. I give him credit for at least being upfront about it. He is critical of MVC schools for not scheduling better with respect to the RPI. He makes it sound so easy. I am not so sure that MVC schools are ignoring Elgin's goal of scheduling tougher opponents. I suspect that since 2006, when the Valley and other "mid-majors" had some success, that BCS schools became more gun-shy about playing teams like this.

"The only possible minus for UNI is the strength of competition. I'm a longstanding MVC fan and apologist, so it pains me to say this, but the Valley is stuck in a mediocre stretch. The league hasn't had more than one team in the NCAA Tournament since 2006-2007. In '06, the Valley put four teams in the NCAA Tournament, an invasion that caused basketball elitists Billy Packer and Jay Bilas to nearly implode on national TV. And two of the entries, Bradley and Wichita State, advanced to the round of Sweet 16.

Somewhere along the line, the MVC programs foolishly ignored commissioner Doug Elgin's intelligent formula for constructing a sturdy NCAA Tournament résumé. Elgin challenged the league's coaches and athletic directors to pursue more challenging schedules, take on BCS conferences and avoid feasting on cupcakes that would soften their Ratings Percentage Index (RPI)."

-if scheduling was so easy for certain A10 or mvc schools wouldn't those games be all over high level tv?

-the a10 had 4 games scheduled on espn (x had 2, temple and lasalle), 14 scheduled on espn2 and one scheduled on cbs

I saw the interview and while I respect Elgin, I don't believe him when he says he isn't interested. They were interested 5 years ago. The reality is he knows SLU isn't leaving the A-10 any time soon so why should he put himself out there saying that they are interested in adding SLU. there is no upside in it for them. If he thought SLU was ever serious about leaving he'd call May directly and start the talks.

The MVC isn't interested in SLU? And the Brooklyn Bridge is for sale. Step right up and place your bids.

This is just public posturing/face saving.

Of course the MVC is interested in SLU.

If SLU had an RPI of 45, like Wichita State does this morning, SLU would be NCAA bound. Wichita State is considered to be out per all the experts. Even Doug Elgin himself talked about the need to get NCAA teams from the MVC not based upon an upset in the MVC Tournament Championship Game.

It takes two to tango.

You can't have a tougher schedule if the better teams won't play you. Other leagues are on to the MVC.

Who cares if he's lying or not? We now have our AD on record saying we're staying in the A10 and the Valley commissioner on record saying they're not interested in SLU. What more could the local sports media want to hear? They need to put this to rest.

What I would like to see the local media do is stir up the pot to get SLU and Mizzou to play each other every year. Enough with the Valley, isn't our program looking like it's rising enough (with staying potential) to talk about it in relation to BCS-level comparisons? They hype up Braggin' Rights every year, and our team is very much playing at the level of an Illinois or Mizzou right now with a much younger roster.

We'll keep playing Missouri State and SIUC for great regional games, but I can't wait for the day our local sports media stops treating us like we belong at the kids' table.

Guest BillikenReport

Why should anyone be surprised that media in St. Louis like the Missouri Valley Conference?

The MVC is based in St. Louis, has its conference tournaments (both men's and women's) in the area, has a few schools within several hours of St. Louis and high school players from the area are heavily recruited by those schools and frequently end up playing in the conference.

It would be the same if the Atlantic 10 Conference was based in St. Louis or any other D-1 conference was based here.

There's a shake up coming with the Big 10 making noises about adding a program for a FB playoff. SLU wants to stay in the A-10 so if the BE adds FB teams and somehow has to dump the non FB schools, they'll be there to round out a new conference or a new look A-10.

Why should anyone be surprised that media in St. Louis like the Missouri Valley Conference?

The MVC is based in St. Louis, has its conference tournaments (both men's and women's) in the area, has a few schools within several hours of St. Louis and high school players from the area are heavily recruited by those schools and frequently end up playing in the conference.

It would be the same if the Atlantic 10 Conference was based in St. Louis or any other D-1 conference was based here.

I completely agree. I understand the civic pride thing and why it is there. It is actually more surprising that seem people can't see it.

I completely agree. I understand the civic pride thing and why it is there. It is actually more surprising that seem people can't see it.

It's not surprising to me. What's surprising to me is that they're willing to talk up the Valley every year but SLU has to do a ton to earn any respect from them. I don't think anyone who knows college basketball would think SLU would be better served by going to the Valley, and yet they keep hitting that point.

Guest BillikenReport

What's surprising to me is that they're willing to talk up the Valley every year but SLU has to do a ton to earn any respect from them.

I don't think this is true.

SLU only has to do one thing to get all of the respect fans want the Billikens to get: win.

That's it. Very simple. The Billikens keep winning games, they will get plenty of respect.

I heard the same complaints about Missouri football years ago, about how the Tigers got no respect and couldn't get on TV and St. Louis kids wouldn't consider the school because of those factors. When Missouri started winning more games, the program got more and more respect.

It's all about winning games. You win games and you get more attention.

Some of the Valley schools have been ignoring Doug Elgin's pleas about scheduling and it has caused some friction between the schools and the league office. The biggest culprit has been Ill. State. Jankovich has been a joke with his 300+ non-conf. schedule. some of these guys are just trying to pile up wins and that's sad. It has made the Valley nothing more than a one-bid league despite the presence of some quality teams.

It's partially true that BCS schools aren't interested in home-and-homes with the Valley, but some of the other programs have gone out of their way to scheduel down. Wich. State should be a tournament team, but a 284 schedule stretch is ridiculous. The A-10 got a lot of swag this year, not only for scheduling many of these games, but winning a lot of them and on the road and on neutral courts and that's what it takes. (Florida twice, Missouri, Louisville, Seton Hall, Mississippi State were road or neutral site wins for the league).

We're going to experience this in the future now more than ever. Who in the hell in their right mind is going to schedule Rick Majerus to a home and home. X and Temple do not have this problem because they have been good for so long that they are "major" programs.

bad boyz for life

You also add in the fact that a lot of the local sports talk radio and tv sports talking heads pick up some extra $$ from the MVC by doing games, shows, or working the tournament in some fashion.

Personally, I'm rather tired of the MVC cheerleading that goes on in this town every year.

It's not surprising to me. What's surprising to me is that they're willing to talk up the Valley every year but SLU has to do a ton to earn any respect from them. I don't think anyone who knows college basketball would think SLU would be better served by going to the Valley, and yet they keep hitting that point.

Anyone?

Not true.

A lot of people that know college basketball think SLU would be better served in The Valley.

Some do, some don't.

Anyone?

Not true.

A lot of people that know college basketball think SLU would be better served in The Valley.

Some do, some don't.

I would consider those people to know less about college basketball than they think. The conferences are on absolutely different tiers, and if you feel otherwise I would be interested to hear your logic behind that argument.

I don't think this is true.

SLU only has to do one thing to get all of the respect fans want the Billikens to get: win.

That's it. Very simple. The Billikens keep winning games, they will get plenty of respect.

I heard the same complaints about Missouri football years ago, about how the Tigers got no respect and couldn't get on TV and St. Louis kids wouldn't consider the school because of those factors. When Missouri started winning more games, the program got more and more respect.

It's all about winning games. You win games and you get more attention.

True, winning is the key. But my issue is now that we're winning, why do they still want to throw us in mid-major hell?

Haven't we shown how high our ceiling is? Haven't we shown a commitment to building a bigger program than we've ever been? Why do people want to put a cap on what we can do (and a move to the Valley, the nice conference that it is, would be just that.)?

Despite the comments previously made about SLU and the Valley, I truly wish the Valley the best of success. I always pull for the little guy and agains the the BCS schools. Playing here in St. Louis has also been nice - a local flavor.

The other night, put the kids to bed, turned on the TV, saw another Valley game was being played and got a little interested. Then, I see the game is Illinois State v. Indiana State. Since this is not 1979 anymore, I turned the channel and was yet again reminded of how little interest I would have watching our Bills play 18 conference games plus a conference Tourney with these teams.

No thanks.

I would consider those people to know less about college basketball than they think. The conferences are on absolutely different tiers, and if you feel otherwise I would be interested to hear your logic behind that argument.

Among others:

• Rick Majerus says so.
  • Dick Vitale says so.
  • Bernie Miklasz says so. (he is a semi-jerk but knows sports)
You say they do not know about college hoops?

Among others:

• Rick Majerus says so.
  • Dick Vitale says so.

1) Smoke screen

2) Not familiar with our program

3) Sucking up to Elgin

The other night, put the kids to bed, turned on the TV, saw another Valley game was being played and got a little interested. Then, I see the game is Illinois State v. Indiana State. Since this is not 1979 anymore, I turned the channel and was yet again reminded of how little interest I would have watching our Bills play 18 conference games plus a conference Tourney with these teams.

No thanks.

I had exactly the same experience and thinking and response!

I agree with you, but isn't it sad that the casual St. Louis area fan could tune into that game as easily, if not easier, than a SLU game?

Among others:

• Rick Majerus says so.
  • Dick Vitale says so.

I'd throw Miklasz out immediately from that group, not because of a lack of knowledge, but because he's been a very vocal Valley supporter, an 'apologist' in his own words to begin this thread. Local sportswriters have an interest in seeing the only STL-based conference do well, and it's convenient for them to write SLU into that picture. They need to stop because they're not putting SLU's best interests into their arguments, just those of themselves and the Valley. They kiss Elgin's butt constantly.

We all know Rick should have a muzzle sometimes, and his Valley remarks always have come (unsurprisingly) after tough travel stretches or during finals.

Dickie V is an enthusiastic, experienced guy who always roots for the little guys. But once again here, he's ignoring what is best for SLU to make an easy point about geography. I've heard him go on and on plenty of times this season about how great the A10 is; I'd bet he'd flip-flop on his little rant about SLU, and I don't think he knew much about our program before Rick was hired. Even now it's limited.

I live in Cincinnati now, and Dayton and XU don't make a whole lot of geographic sense for the A10, either. But no one, NO ONE, who is a fan of these programs is clamoring to see them leave and join the MAC because Kent, Oxford, Athens, Toledo, and the like are easy bus trips and the A10 cities are flights. The MAC is even better than the Valley most of the time, too.

I can't wait to get a few more years of A10 ball under our belts and a few more years of SLU growing as a program. Then I imagine the Valley people will crawl back into their caves and realize what we're doing and why.