Fans . . . BRUTAL

AB34

Do I need to say more?

Of course.

Up by 9 (24-15) and no one wants to get excited. Temple goes on a 14-4 run to end the half.

Up 45-43 in the final 7 minutes and people like to stay seated. Quietly. Temple goes on a 14-6 run to win the game.

I am tired of this act. Davola and I tried our best to get people up to no avail. People were more excited about the friggin ball toss than the game.

NOTE: This rant does not apply to the students. You guys were great.

AB34-

Some guy told me to sit down when I was standing up cheering in 108...ridiculous.

Students were awesome, again. I loved the "lets go tanning" chant.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yawn.... Typical post criticizing the loyal fans. Nice to see a level of frustration in Billiken land instead of the usual silence and apathy.

Few points:

1. The quiet fans did not shoot poorly from the 3 point and free throw lane. Nor did the fans get outworked and pushed underneath the basket. The fans did not make turnovers at key points of the game.

2. As a Board, we have much discussed which comes first, a true marketing campaign to build interest or winning basketball. 7,900 for a Wednesday night game was not impressive but it wasn't terrible either. The crowd did stand for the last 2 minutes - until WR missed both FTs again with 30 seconds left. Was the crowd awesome? No. Was it terrible? No. Did the students get into the game more than the fans? Yes, as they should, and truely for the first time in my 30 years following the Bills. About time.

3. Also about time for a stupid post from an uneducated "fan" saying the students should sit a mid-court like they do at Duke. For those who don't understand, the reason there are old people sitting mid-court is because they pay $950 per seat ($400 Billiken fee and $450 season ticket price). Down even lower to the court, the annual fee is $2500 and $3500. Also, these old guys got first crack at paying these prices because of their points they accumulated due to their years and years of support and financial donations to the program. Call them old, say they are too quiet, but they are the ones who have paid the tab for Billiken basketball these past 40 years and still are paying the tab.

4. Correct me if I am wrong, but why are there not more "young" people attending the games and making donations to the program? Just so we are clear, our attendance these past 20 years is really quite good. When you factor in that our Bills have had little success and that our school is a mid-size one with 11,000 students as compared to 70,000+ at Ohio State.

5. Just a little perspective, but IMO, Temple was the better team. They hit big shots when they needed them. They were stronger under the boards. They hit their FTs when they needed to.

Just for the record, I'm 41 years old guy who sits in one of the corners.

Were you away for the Dayton, Xavier, and Dookain game?

Dr. Chaifetz was standing throwing his arms in the air trying to get people up, and all he got were blank, confused stares. I felt bad for the guy. SLU fans in general just don't get into the game enough, but last night was real bad. Take note: I'm not blaming this loss on the fans by any means...SLU was atrocious in the second half and for that matter, the last 10 minutes of the first half. But the atmosphere didn't help the team one bit, that's for sure.

+1

Everyone wants to play at the Fetz!

Were you away for the Dayton, Xavier, and Dookain game?

I have referring to this year's efforts as opposed to this particular game's efforts. Was out of town for the UD game but there for the X and Duq game. As to the X game, both the general fans and the students were much more into the game. Cannot fault either group at all for the X game. Duq had nearly similar attendance but nowhere near the extra buzz/excitement. Last night was good but not our best night either.

Really kind of funny though. After reading many of the posts, people actually think - and want/expect - 50 to 75 year old married couples to stand the whole game, cheer and go crazy like the 18 to 21 year students have finally started to do. Cheer more at key points of the game? OK. Stand at key points or at least not discourage those who do stand? OK.

Just for reference, I attended last night with my 6 and 8 year old. Am I supposed to act and yell what the student section did in front of my kids?

Get a life people. And get realistic. Again, the reason there are "so many old people" is because of the lack of enough young people.

Maybe the crowd was too quiet, maybe it wasn't. But, why were there only 7.900 fans at a game against a top-20 opponent? Is it because, once Cardinal Spring Training starts, all other sports become inconsequential? Are St. Louis-area fans just not that interested in college basketball? No knock against the hardcore fans, but you cannot get closer to a sellout than less than 80% of capacity?

I'm guessing it's the Cardinal factor, with the entire St. Louis media on spring break in Jupiter. Party on, boys!!

This is what I don't get. Weren't the last 3 or 4 games sold out last year? And not one sellout this year, despite significantly more buzz about the team? Was it all just local interest in Lisch/Liddell last year, plus the novelty of the new building? I don't get it.

I had crappy seats where no one cheered last night. But hey, at least there were people in Mizzou sweatshirts talking about how great Zaire Taylor is. So that was good. Not bitter at all ...

Really kind of funny though. After reading many of the posts, people actually think - and want/expect - 50 to 75 year old married couples to stand the whole game, cheer and go crazy like the 18 to 21 year students have finally started to do.

Just clap. Occasionally stand, when the situation warrants it. Do the S-A-INT L-O-UIS cheer (how cool would it be to have 10,000 people doing that cheer?) That's all I ask. I'm amazed at how many people don't even clap their hands, sitting their with their arms folded. You can still be a good fan while exerting relatively little energy.

"The fans were awful last night." That is sad because you have a good team this year - must bee all of the gang activity that is around your campus.

No students, no problem! St Bonaventure beats URI and The Dukes with the faithful local/Townies fans.

GO BONNIES

St. Bonaventure actually has a fan...Ha! who knew?

I don't think anyone is suggesting that the fans lost the game for the Billikens, merely that there should be NO reason to have 2,600 tickets not sold at a game where we are hosting the #16 ranked team in the country,and are in the hunt for postseason play.

I have gone to several Dayton games, and based on my observations, their 'old timer' season ticket holders have no problem standing up and yelling in support of their team...

I also think that quantifying the quality of one's loyalty in terms of monetary donations is not an accurate measure of one's team allegiance. Merely donating money or buying expensive season tickets does not automatically make you a 'great fan'. Is it respectable? Yes. Does it show you care about your program? Yes. Does it make you a passionate fan? No.

Just for reference, I attended last night with my 6 and 8 year old. Am I supposed to act and yell what the student section did in front of my kids?

Well, I did, when my daughter was 6 (and 7 and 8 and 11 and...). She now goes to every game, even when I can't. (Especially when I can't.)

Maybe it's genetic. My old man started taking me when I was 7. He *always* yelled what the student section did (he especially liked the "we don't mess around" chant) -- but those were the days when faculty were revered and got their season tix at center court (which was also where the students sat, in the courtside sections).

Well, I did, when my daughter was 6 (and 7 and 8 and 11 and...). She now goes to every game, even when I can't. (Especially when I can't.)

Maybe it's genetic. My old man started taking me when I was 7. He *always* yelled what the student section did (he especially liked the "we don't mess around" chant) -- but those were the days when faculty were revered and got their season tix at center court (which was also where the students sat, in the courtside sections).

Exactly, It's so important for parents to cheer when they take their kids to the game. Show them your passionate about something and they will follow. At that age we all wanna be like our parents. I'm not saying yell profanity or ***** at the refs but please its not hard to yell S-L-U or De-Fense.

"The fans were awful last night." That is sad because you have a good team this year - must bee all of the gang activity that is around your campus.

No students, no problem! St Bonaventure beats URI and The Dukes with the faithful local/Townies fans.

GO BONNIES

Is this a real Bonnie poster? Seriously?

If so. let me just point out that you play in a highschool gym (5700) and that even New York City street gangs are too smart to try to get to fricking Olean NY before spring thaw. Good luck taking that losing conference record to X.......

Seriously what do people expect out of the fans?

We don't have the history of a program like Duke. Hell we don't even have the history of a program like Dayton. What we do have is fans that are more into the games than almost any program with a similar history and at a similar spot right now.

Mizzou Arena was like a tomb for a few years until last season. I think fans see a game on Big Monday and assume every game has an atmosphere like that........ they don't.

The Fans were pretty damn good this year considering the team had no expectations going into this year and the fans had little to no emotional investment in the kids on the team when the season started. The team was made up of freshmen and sophomores that nobody knew because none was ever allowed to talk to the media. There were only a couple times in my time as a fan when we had better into the game crowds than we did this year. When I was a kid and Grawer's team had their NIT run and when Spoon had his NCAA run.

You don't get a fan base like Duke overnight.

We don't have the history of a program like Duke. Hell we don't even have the history of a program like Dayton. What we do have is fans that are more into the games than almost any program with a similar history and at a similar spot right now.

Mizzou Arena was like a tomb for a few years until last season. I think fans see a game on Big Monday and assume every game has an atmosphere like that........ they don't.

The Fans were pretty damn good this year considering the team had no expectations going into this year and the fans had little to no emotional investment in the kids on the team when the season started. The team was made up of freshmen and sophomores that nobody knew because none was ever allowed to talk to the media. There were only a couple times in my time as a fan when we had better into the game crowds than we did this year. When I was a kid and Grawer's team had their NIT run and when Spoon had his NCAA run.

Can we not at least try to speed the process up?

Well we don't want to continue to be like every team that had a similar decade like the one we just had, do we? Aren't we trying to move into the "big time?"

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result. Things have to change for our program to change. It can be leaps and bound, or baby steps, but it has to change. Even if you stand up and cheer one more time each game, that is an improvement.

I learned a while ago that getting angry over the fan base just isn't worth it anymore. I think it's great to vent but it usually falls on deaf ears.

When I changed my user name from Nark's old board and then came over to this board, I was berated when I was calling out the fans the quiet fans. I even suggested getting crazy and throwing nachos (statement was made in jest) and some on this board called me out and said the old boosters were the reason we had a program and I should never call them out.

So, I am glad others are doing this now. However, it's like getting all worked up about the weather, because you can't change it.

The ends of the Fetz are definitely louder than the sides.

Someone mentioned about how St. Louis is called best Sports City in America a few years ago. What a joke that award was. I laugh every time I hear the ad on 101.1 ESPN where it says the best fans deserve a top sports radio station or something like that. We are so far from being a top sports city. We are a phenomenal baseball city, but that is where it ends.

I will note that the grass does always seemer greener on the other side. I have been to probably 5 or 6 different BCS arenas for college basketball games and just about every time I say to myself, this is a lot more calm then I would have anticipated. I also watched a lot of games this year and I can't believe how often I see calm fans. Don't get me wrong, there are big games that get electric but I do not think it is as crazy as most would believe on a consistent basis outside of maybe 5 programs.

BTW, I got offered $100 a ticket for each of my 5 tickets last night from a Temple fan. I told him to find something else to do.

Next year will be much better. Think of the fans like the team this year. A work in progress, but you can see some of the pieces coming together.

Yes: I've had two different people at work in the past few weeks come up and ask me what the process is for season tix. Neither are alums.

No: It was the freakin' highest-ranked team we've played at home this year, and we're doing better than anyone ever expected, and we've had a bunch of really exciting games, and we've battled back and/or fought to the last breath in many games, and we were playing at least for a first-round bye and for our 20th win, in the probable last home game of the year.

And we only drew 80 percent of capacity in a fairly small building -- and it sounds like 60 of that 80 percent still doesn't know how to exploit home court advantage in a close game.

To play you Billy Goats once again this year would be a treat for the Bonnies. Win or lose just playing in the A10 play-off is progress for our program!

Ask any player that has traveled to OLEAN and they will tell you the same "its awful". As a fan that is what we like to hear! When Coach Tubby was here last season with the Billies he enjoyed the local area and his stay here in the Enchanted Mountains. And as I have been told RM just loves the the Roast Beef-on-Wik. (yes I'm sure the food in St Louis is much better)

Its just the travel getting here that can be bother some. There are two regional airports that fly commercial and charter flights and are only one hour from Olean - Jamestown and Bradford. Therefore, SLU does not have to fly all the way to Buffalo and take a 90 minute bus ride to the Big "O".

Hope you beat Umass !!!

GO BROWN INDIANS

(Playing in a smaller Arena has its advantages - I would rather have 5700 rabid fans show up than a 10,000 seat dump that nobody dares to go to.)

To play you Billy Goats once again this year would be a treat for the Bonnies. Win or lose just playing in the A10 play-off is progress for our program!

Ask any player that has traveled to OLEAN and they will tell you the same "its awful". As a fan that is what we like to hear! When Coach Tubby was here last season with the Billies he enjoyed the local area and his stay here in the Enchanted Mountains. And as I have been told RM just loves the the Roast Beef-on-Wik. (yes I'm sure the food in St Louis is much better)

Its just the travel getting here that can be bother some. There are two regional airports that fly commercial and charter flights and are only one hour from Olean - Jamestown and Bradford. Therefore, SLU does not have to fly all the way to Buffalo and take a 90 minute bus ride to the Big "O".

Hope you beat Umass !!!

GO BROWN INDIANS

(Playing in a smaller Arena has its advantages - I would rather have 5700 rabid fans show up than a 10,000 seat dump that nobody dares to go to.)

DOes anyone know what this guy is talking about? We already beat Umass.

that is probably part of his signature-Amherst is about 240 miles from him and may be their biggest rival

traveling in and out of Oleans, NY has to be brutal every winter they are probably on the edge of the Buffalo snow belt.

they should not worry about recruiting RM if they ever need a coach. Bus ride or charter plane this is our equivalent of college in a cornfield-like Notre Dame, U of I, etc nice places to live if you don't have anywhere else you wanted to be. I'd take the city, instead.

a time traveler from the forbidden zone (olean). i am completely fascinated right now.

i picture a mackenzie broskie just stumbling around in a jock strap, sporadically finding a cache of online computers and posting to our board, claiming to be from olean, ny.

it also still takes time to change the perception of slu basketball in st. louis. They had their media exposure with Xavier and didn't win. People I work with think that SLU basketball is just not that good. Also, it's easy for them to use the Illinois/Mizzou argument that they have a chance of being in the dance but not SLU. It takes time to change people.