Majerus on KFNS

EMS67

Recruiting story about Birdman Anderson who was conceived on the back of a harley.

Moser says Cody is still in a holding pattern. Cody is a smart kid, comes from smart family. Seems fed up with the situation/ncaa.

Says he has the option of playing pro, but not another school.

Shoots the ball well at 6-8. Led the FIBA or wahtever in 3pt%

They would consider JUCO 4/5 if needed. Has to be right fit, yadda yadda, character, basketball iq, etc. Sometimes jucos come in and want tobe the stars. But not always.

He asked about the A10 and its effect on the local recruits. Porter talks about the MVC having a good few year run that affected some of the current recruits, but with the arena/facilities/fans on campus now it should have the same effect.

Says a10 is very strong right now, valley isnt getting the same level of recruits.

Fighting with the BE, B10, B12, etc. for current recruits, example Mike McCall. Reallyreallyfast. Had offers from Pac10/Big12 schools. Those confereces sell TV packages they have, SLU cant do that.

Porter dined on veal marsalla at wherever the hell they were. Rick is up next.

Porter on right now.

Yeah, I'm listening. Porter's impressive sounding guy. But all he did was pi** me off more when he Frank asked him to describe CE's game and how it fits RM's system. "A big guy who can knock down the 3 and RM's system has a lot of wrinkles for this type of player (see Utah teams)." You could also hear the frustration in his voice when he said, "he's an intelligent kid from an educated family whose dad was probably one of the top 5 players ever in Australia." Makes him sound like a 6'8" KL. The positive was, "he will be a Billiken and not go to the ACC or Big East, but he does have the pro option in Australia." This situation is pure BS. Just reinforces what we all know, "it's f***ing tough being a Billiken fan!" FREE CODY ELLIS!

Rick has the flu, highly contagious, Porter has been running practice. Porter is more of a "co-coach" as opposed to associate head coach.

Pissed about Ellis situation, saying they put the team together based on him. Help to have someone who could shoot with basically a bit bigger than Conklins frame.

Scary what willie could become if he gets in top shape.

Has to light a fire under Cassity to reach his potential. Wants him to talk to Tony La, hopefully not about drinking.

Kwamain is ok but he keeps looking for Lisch and Liddell on the wings.

Cautiously optimistic about this season. Says the team will improve.

Talks about Belmont taking Duke to the wire. Not a sexy game on the schedule like Mizzou or Illinois, but a good tough opponent. Need those type of games.

Question about how long he will be here and such. Talks about how great Saint Louis is as a city.

Wants the fans out at the begining, before the program takes off.

Mentions he went to Demat for a pizza talk thingy and had 250-300 greeks down there that were diehard fans...

Program has been dormant since Spoon.

He had a couple offers after last year, but really likes SLU and won't leave here unless they don't want him here/health.

SLU academics > Marquette academics. From a marquette grad. Take that billikenlaw. Hard to get jucos in.

End of interview.

FREE CODY ELLIS!

Majerus has the flu. He's building up CE which is just p**sing me off more. Says, we miss him as we counted on him being here. FREE CODY ELLIS! Says we're getting better and so far he's pleased with the kids. Sure sounds like he wanted Mizzery and Illinois on the schedule. RM says he's in it for the long haul as long as he's healthy. Enjoys St. Louis and it's people. Great University. One good point, he's not building a team, he's building a program... it takes longer. He had coaching offers last year, but he's not leaving unless SLU wants him to go. Said our education is superior to Marquette's. As for JUCO's it's tough to get them in. He's guessing we'll have the highest GPA in the A-10. Maybe it was the flu, but no funny stories and no long run on sentences.

I'll do my best to listen and make notes about the discussion.

RM is sick. PM is on.

First topic how good Willie is and somewhat unexpected this quick.

Kevin Durant is Willie's idol per FC , who was with WR yesterday.

Lounge part of locker is pretty much a classroom for studying basketball and WR is there all the time.

RM draws up plays on cloth tablecloths and on pizza boxes-just like "My life on a napkin."

PM hours- wife is great with 4 kids-met her at Texas A&M while he was a AC.

At recruiting events, you can't say ANYTHING to players, shouldn't even make eye contact, have separate entrances from players. Can wear a SLU shirt and just make yourself seen.

1 of 1000 letters re recruits produce a real player.

Break------------per FC,------ RM will join them when they return from break.

(11:24 p.m.)

CE question by FC to PM. "still in a holding pattern-he is still in Aust." Dad is one of the best players ever in Aus. good student-can shoot the ball at 6'8"--if he makes it he will be a Billiken no other school in contention. if not admitted then he could go pro in Aust., but didn't seem like that was what PM was expecting. (Not as much discussion as I would have expected-no specifics)

Will you consider a JUCO at the 4/5 for next year? Yes, but likewarm reply.

B Beal situation-how did A10 affect your recruiting? MVC is here, people starting to see good teams in Chaifetz. PM & FC A 10 is better basketball conf. now and is getting better recruits now-not losing players due to A 10 membership.

McCall has offers from bigtime conferences and schools and is really quick.

Break-----------FC----------- "when we return RM will join us."

(11:35 p.m.)

RM on phone-has flu. Good words about all the ACs who will handle practice today. old F. Leahy line.

Optimistic about future of team/FC you gotta be happy with where you are at this point/RM; yes but everything was based on CE being here so that hurts/WR missing time due to injuries and time spent on school/need to lite a fire under KC who has lots of potential/KM is still missing KL & TL. happy with rebuilding program with two really good recruits coming in/KM, WR & BC have really improved. Need KM on the floor as much as possible/ belmont will be a real challenge-good sub since we can't get Mizz or Ill. FC how much longer are you planning to coach/RM would like to coach for quite a while but that's up to the man upstairs. Like SLU & STL-fans are great and loyal-gave Holliday example. Thrilled with crowd last Sat. (SIU game) went over and talked to a frat/sor group to 2-300 kids-fed them all pizza-trying to get more student involvement. SLU educ. is better than a Marq. educ.--tough to get a JUCO to qualify---bet we have the highest GPA in the A 10. (As we are familiar with, the above paragraph was RM moving from one thought to the next)

End of segment.

Sorry for any typos as I tried to listen and type.

No real significant info

SORRY, AFTER I POSTED THIS I SAW THAT OTHERS HAD DONE THE SAME-NOT SURE I ADDED MUCH TO WHAT OTHERS WROTE.

Porter Moser obviously didn't get the memo about RM preferring SLU be in the MVC. Coming from Porter's mouth on the radio today: A10 is a better bball league than the MVC right now, gets better recruits. Frank seemed somewhat surprised to hear this. Apparently Frank has been drinking the MVC Koolaid with everyone else in the local media. When Porter is on the recruiting trail, they don't get banged over the head with the Valley, its the big conferences and their national TV contracts. What national TV contract does the Valley have again?

I have a very hard time believing that Porter's views just expressed are so far different than RM's.

Porter Moser obviously didn't get the memo about RM preferring SLU be in the MVC. Coming from Porter's mouth on the radio today: A10 is a better bball league than the MVC right now, gets better recruits. Frank seemed somewhat surprised to hear this. Apparently Frank has been drinking the MVC Koolaid with everyone else in the local media. When Porter is on the recruiting trail, they don't get banged over the head with the Valley, its the big conferences and their national TV contracts. What national TV contract does the Valley have again?

I have a very hard time believing that Porter's views just expressed are so far different than RM's.

This should be an end to all this nonsense talk. RM does not do the recruiting heavy lifting he comes in at the end to close the deal which is the way it should be. On this topic, the recruiter has the more important point of view.

Thanks for the reports guys....great stuff!

Interesting comments on Kyle. I really like the kid and think he's a great addition to the team, but the "reach his potential" comment is interesting. It sounds like he thinks this kid can be a major player. That is exciting...i don't think Rick misses too often on his evaluations. Also really happy to hear Porter's A-10 comments. sometimes, based on the articles and interviews, I feel like the administration and coaching staff is totally out of touch. It sounds like Porter agrees with a lot of us on this issue...not that he has much say.

This should be an end to all this nonsense talk. RM does not do the recruiting heavy lifting he comes in at the end to close the deal which is the way it should be. On this topic, the recruiter has the more important point of view.

And this comes from Porter Moser who played in the MVC for Creighton.

Thanks for the reports guys....great stuff!

Interesting comments on Kyle. I really like the kid and think he's a great addition to the team, but the "reach his potential" comment is interesting. It sounds like he thinks this kid can be a major player. That is exciting...i don't think Rick misses too often on his evaluations. Also really happy to hear Porter's A-10 comments. sometimes, based on the articles and interviews, I feel like the administration and coaching staff is totally out of touch. It sounds like Porter agrees with a lot of us on this issue...not that he has much say.

That is one way to view what Rick said. Another way to look it is that RM is not happy with the production he is getting from Kyle and, message to Kyle, you risk slipping further down the depth charts. Minutes at SG and SF will be at a premium next season when our two Chicago recruits land on campus.

While he is being mention and this may have been asked before but is Porter considered a successor to Rickma? I personally like him and would like to see him around here a long time.

Hard to say for sure - if he is still here when RM decides to step down he would have to be considered for the job if things are going well. I have never heard that any promises were made to him.

The way Rick was talking about Ellis being the missing piece to the puzzle made me even more mad about that whole situation. Cody Ellis is the PF that can shoot it that Majerus needs and loves to coach...

As far as Porter taking over, I would think if things are going well and Rick decides to hang em up Porter would be number 1 on the list and rightfully so. One thing Porter has shown is being able to recruit Chicago area very well both while he was here and at Illinois State.

I would think PM would have to be on the top of the list if RM left, unless it was a bad ending and a p@$$ed off Biondi wanted to clean house. I've heard RM go out of his way to point out that PM is an associate head coach and not an assistant coach, and how there is a real difference.

Someone asked earlier about the MVC national TV deal. I saw a lot of Valley games on Fox Sports MW last year. I guess that is what people mean.