OT: Midtown Development

Pistol

This article is about a month old but it says the Shack will be opening a second location. Not sure if that means that they are staying put by SLU or decided to relocate. FWIW I liked the shack and the sandwiches. The atmosphere blows for the college bar feel experience but the food is good and I like to eat.

http://www.stltoday.com/entertainment/dining/restaurants/off-the-menu/new-locations-planned-for-the-wheelhouse-shack-pubgrub/article_33f76ec2-a406-5aeb-b18e-332ea443136d.html

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This article is about a month old but it says the Shack will be opening a second location. Not sure if that means that they are staying put by SLU or decided to relocate. FWIW I liked the shack and the sandwiches. The atmosphere blows for the college bar feel experience but the food is good and I like to eat.

http://www.stltoday.com/entertainment/dining/restaurants/off-the-menu/new-locations-planned-for-the-wheelhouse-shack-pubgrub/article_33f76ec2-a406-5aeb-b18e-332ea443136d.html

On Facebook they said the Laclede location is closing.

The Shack site is going to be a residential development.

http://nextstl.com/2014/04/shack-making-way-even-central-corridor-residential/

Also, Boeing is moving a big chunk of their BR&T division to the Cortex site. I think this is huge for not only Cortex, but the city overall.

http://nextstl.com/2014/04/boeing-set-hang-shingle-cortex/

I believe that photo is from 1975. For those not following the whole thread, it's at 3802 Laclede, immediately east of formerly The Shack/Laclede's/Caleco's -- and has been vacant since at least 1980!

Joe.

Believe we are talking about the same building/location... but when I was at SLU beginning in 1989, I believe this building re-opened as the Billiken Bench Club and was open/popular for a few years before closing.

Also, I am told this building was previously the home of the John Stark Publishing company which published Scott Joplin's music.

Joe.

Believe we are talking about the same building/location... but when I was at SLU beginning in 1989, I believe this building re-opened as the Billiken Bench Club and was open/popular for a few years before closing.

Also, I am told this building was previously the home of the John Stark Publishing company which published Scott Joplin's music.

BBC was west of Laclede Street / Caleco's / The Shack, and that building is now where the Jimmy John's and Papa John's are located.

The Fifth House building is the boarded up vacant brick building east of the Shack. It's been vacant forever.

The nextstl site is very informative.

Here is a March article about some of the possible residential components of the Cortex plan:

http://nextstl.com/2014/03/cortex-ready-residential-leap-district-eyes-infill-historic-conversion/

This image from the Shack blog covers a lot of other developments in the area:

13939079751_b3bb2b1618_b.jpg

Pastori'east. It was a great bar dive? That specialized in Falstaff and Carling red label. U had to be at least 16 to get served.

Falstaff was the number 1 selling beer in St. Louis. Nobody drank BUD. Maybe a little Huber for 79 cents a quart.

I thought Pastori's was a liquor store...?

Naw. Dive bar. Bartender's name was George. The inside joke was when everyone yelled "Card 'em, George!" when new people came in, usually younger SLU students, usually because they'd heard about the "at least 16" as noted above. In most cases no one yelling was above the legal drinking age.

• 3 weeks later...

Pretty freaking amazing, eh?

The old Sun sign has been moved to KDHX's new building on Washington by Jazz at the Bistro. It looks really cool. The area around SLU is really becoming an exciting place. There's still lots of work left to be done, but it's great to see the progress.

kdhx-building.jpg

Pretty freaking amazing, eh?

The old Sun sign has been moved to KDHX's new building on Washington by Jazz at the Bistro. It looks really cool. The area around SLU is really becoming an exciting place. There's still lots of work left to be done, but it's great to see the progress.

kdhx-building.jpg

I think you and I are around the same age. It is just amazing the transformation that has occurred in that area in our lifetime. Cortex is just going to take it all to another level.

That said there was a lot stuff that should have been saved and I still miss 20 North.

boy i was down that area last night for a show at Plush and was saying the same thing. Those blue lights on the roofs are very cool. Back in the 70s and 80s the whole area was depressing now it's vibrant. My concert going friend agreed how back in the day it seemed like every time st louis would have a new area of action it killed the existing one but now we have too many area of activity to keep track of. He travels around to most major cities and he says same thing everywhere. I guess people go out more than they did before.

I think you and I are around the same age. It is just amazing the transformation that has occurred in that area in our lifetime. Cortex is just going to take it all to another level.

That said there was a lot stuff that should have been saved and I still miss 20 North.

Yeah, there have been a few misses - 20 North, Bullfeathers/Marina Building, the old stables on Locust - but lots more hits.

Back when the Continental (Superman) Building was renovated, the old Wagoner Funeral Home was demolished to make way for a parking garage. The building's facade, however, was preserved. I'd love to see it incorporated into a new building in Grand Center.

cont-wagoner1.jpg

cont-wagoner2.jpg