First Exhibition game only 2 days away!

STLfan

I don't understand why one of KPLR, KSDK, KMOV, KDNL, KTVI or any other local St. Louis station wouldn't want to pick up a local basketball game.

Here are what these stations are showing on 10/30 at 8pm

KTVI - Dollhouse

KMOV - Medium

KSDK - Dateline NBC

KPLR - Smallville

KDNL - Ugly Betty

I have to think/hope even an exhibition game would draw better ratings then some of those.

I don't understand why one of KPLR, KSDK, KMOV, KDNL, KTVI or any other local St. Louis station wouldn't want to pick up a local basketball game.

KTVI - Dollhouse

KMOV - Medium

KSDK - Dateline NBC

KPLR - Smallville

KDNL - Ugly Betty

I have to think/hope even an exhibition game would draw better ratings then some of those.

why dont you buy a ticket and come to the game in person?

Have to work. Would like to DVR the game.

Plus getting these games on TV would be good for the Billikens. They could pick up some casual fans and get better exposure in the St. Louis Metro. Your average sports fan might be channel surfing or looking for something to watch Friday night and catch the game on TV. Maybe they like what they see and pay more attention to the Bills this season.

In my opinion EVERY game should be televised locally and work to get as many as you can broadcast to a larger audience. (State, Region, or Nationally)

Have to work. Would like to DVR the game.

Plus getting these games on TV would be good for the Billikens. They could pick up some casual fans and get better exposure in the St. Louis Metro. Your average sports fan might be channel surfing or looking for something to watch Friday night and catch the game on TV. Maybe they like what they see and pay more attention to the Bills this season.

In my opinion EVERY game should be televised locally and work to get as many as you can broadcast to a larger audience. (State, Region, or Nationally)

i disagree with televising the local games. at least as long as there are tickets. i do think EVERY road game should be televised.

i disagree with televising the local games. at least as long as there are tickets. i do think EVERY road game should be televised.

Just ask Bill Wirtz how that worked out with his Chicago Blackhawks Roy. ...not televising the home games.

SLU basketball needs all the exposure it can get. If people like what they see on tv, they will go to games, and not just watch them on tv. Sure there may be some that don't, but plenty more would attend games in person after liking what they see in person from home games, and that's the point. And, that plenty more, is more attending than before, because of increased game exposure. Plus, SLU is more likely to perform better in home games which is important.

It's a much bigger picture than... Roy and others paid for their tix, why should other locals sit on their couch and watch the team play home games on tv.

Admittedly this is apples to oranges, but it is interesting to point out that when I read the recently released attendance figures for last season, Marquette moved into the top ten Nationally. (Syracuse being the only other private school in the top ten) I believe they televise every home game in some fashion and have for years. Now, they have had some good teams, and good/high profile opponents to see, but the point is they televise early season home games and people still go in droves to those home games. And some of those early season home games aren't always against the best teams or highest profile teams, similar to other places. Again the demand to see their games is higher, but as I said, they have been televising the local games for a long time and people still go to the games. If it is a good product, people will attend whether the games are televised or not. More people will attend more often if SLU has a good product, and increased exposure.

SLU still needs plenty of exposure for a while. It is not in the position to be deciding to not televise some games in order to get more people to attend those games. That strategy doesn't work. It turns people off.

Every game should be televised...end of story. We only hold 10,000 people. I sure hope we could drum up more than 10K fans in the city of St. Louis. And if we don't already have them, we sure won't get any new ones if our games are accessible.

Does anybody know if the streaming will work for the exhibition? Well, let me rephrase that...it probably won't work either way, but are they going to attempt to show the games?

when I read the recently released attendance figures for last season, Marquette moved into the top ten Nationally. (Syracuse being the only other private school in the top ten) I believe they televise every home game in some fashion and have for years.

so your examples are marquette and syracuse who you admit already have great home attendance. fine, pack the place every game and then i have no problem showing the home games on tv.

actually this is a silly debate as there is little chance of every game home or away being on tv for the billikens.

so your examples are marquette and syracuse who you admit already have great home attendance. fine, pack the place every game and then i have no problem showing the home games on tv.

actually this is a silly debate as there is little chance of every game home or away being on tv for the billikens.

Currently thus is a silly debate, but I bet if you went back to last years televised home games you would not find a drop in attendance. Show them all.

KTVI - Dollhouse

KMOV - Medium

KSDK - Dateline NBC

KPLR - Smallville

KDNL - Ugly Betty

You would be wrong. End of story.

You would be wrong. End of story.

As much as I wish Billiken basketball would draw huge ratings, and hopefully that day will come, the reality is that it doesn't. Ugly Betty and Dateline would blow away the telecast of our Bills as per Nielson ratings. The other programs I am not familiar with but I'd have to believe that Billiken basketball would likely draw a rating closer to 1% and I'd have to believe that the major networks don't allow programing which draw such a low rating to be on the air during weekly prime-time.

You brought up the idea of not showing home games. I didn't. And, I even previously pointed out that other teams, such as those exampled have been showing home games for a very long time.

You have the thought that if the home games or more of them are shown on tv that this would somehow affect attendance in a negative way. I disagree.

So you're a fan of the NFL's blackout rule? (I'm not. That sport is built more for TV now anyway.)

Especially now, when people are feeling the pinch in a lot of ways, it can be expensive to go to live sports events. I know it isn't possible at this point in time for SLU to televise every game, but if we had the opportunity to do so, why not? Is being fan-friendly a bad thing?

Some people just aren't going to come to the games no matter what but might watch them on TV. Some might not be able to afford tickets to the games and a TV option would be great for them. Some might be kids whose parents won't take them for whatever reason. Point is, if all games are on TV, I have to think that's going to help build a more solid fanbase over the long run, even if attendance doesn't show much change in the short term.

If I'm an impressionable kid growing up in St. Louis today and all I can get on TV are Mizzou games, who do you think I'd grow up and cheer for (and support financially)?

I think we've gone tangential from the original poster's question, the answer to which is that there isn't an ice cube's chance in hell that a local station would consider picking up SLU games against University of Arkansas-Fort Smith or St. Ambrose or Anselm or whoever the hell they are.

There's also minimal incentive to televise any of our games this year due to the lack of name recognition for the majority of our opponents. A local station would probably make more money running a marathon of Dierbergs' "Everybody Cooks."

I don't know if they do the scheduling late in the season on an ad hoc basis, but even Mizzou football, with its recent (but not this year) success, does not have its last four games, including Kansas, scheduled to be televised.

I think we've gone tangential from the original poster's question, the answer to which is that there isn't an ice cube's chance in hell that a local station would consider picking up SLU games against University of Arkansas-Fort Smith or St. Ambrose or Anselm or whoever the hell they are.

There's also minimal incentive to televise any of our games this year due to the lack of name recognition for the majority of our opponents. A local station would probably make more money running a marathon of Dierbergs' "Everybody Cooks."

I don't know if they do the scheduling late in the season on an ad hoc basis, but even Mizzou football, with its recent (but not this year) success, does not have its last four games, including Kansas, scheduled to be televised.

That was previously covered by other posters who stated that those other programs would draw better ratings.

Mizzou should have more of its football games televised.

Eventually it shouldn't matter whom SLU plays all that much in terms of local television.

You have the thought that if the home games or more of them are shown on tv that this would somehow affect attendance in a negative way. I disagree.

you usually do with everybody. none of us are as smart as you.

doesnt our agreement with the a-10 preclude "paying" to televise a game? it was my understanding that the problem with charter was in years past slu actually subsidized the production and then tried to sell their own advertising. the a-10/cbs college sports said, "no more".

with that thought in mind. exhibitons with fort smith arkansas, st ambrose, regular season game with rockhurst, etc. you all think that those are sellable under cbs college sports thinking?

Exhibition games for SLU won't be televised, come on. Maybe if we were playing the Globetrotters but you can't do that anymore. Thank NCAA ruining everyone's fun. This whole world is becoming about ruining people's fun. That's why everyone is on the internet to live in this fantasyland where you can actually do fun stuff and no one tries to sue you for some sort of discrimination or ruining the planet or being too religious. You guys know what I'm saying right?

To summarize no TV for exhibition game. NCAA sucks but it is a bigger part of how this whole world is starting to suck and we can't have any fun. Got it? I'm in a really good move.

Oh yeah PS Courtside is annoying.

Exhibition games for SLU won't be televised, come on. Maybe if we were playing the Globetrotters but you can't do that anymore. Thank NCAA ruining everyone's fun. This whole world is becoming about ruining people's fun. That's why everyone is on the internet to live in this fantasyland where you can actually do fun stuff and no one tries to sue you for some sort of discrimination or ruining the planet or being too religious. You guys know what I'm saying right?

To summarize no TV for exhibition game. NCAA sucks but it is a bigger part of how this whole world is starting to suck and we can't have any fun. Got it? I'm in a really good move.

Oh yeah PS Courtside is annoying.

Cheer up Mr. doom and gloom. Basketball is starting up. Life is good. I have also found that you can have a lot of fun without having to worry about getting sued for some sort of discrimination.

Cheer up Mr. doom and gloom. Basketball is starting up. Life is good. I have also found that you can have a lot of fun without having to worry about getting sued for some sort of discrimination.

My 2009-2010 Bills prediction: 20 wins.

In celebration of the 20 wins, the 1st 20 Bills fans to gimme a high five at the game tomorrow get a free beer! Go Bills! I'll be in the blue & white pajama pants.

In celebration of the 20 wins, the 1st 20 Bills fans to gimme a high five at the game tomorrow get a free beer! Go Bills! I'll be in the blue & white pajama pants.

someone high five that man. and slam that beer as fast as you possibly can. let it spill off your chin. even if your wife and kids are there.

i'm calling 18 wins.

this should be a separate thread.

i started drinking for the weekend already, so i'm not taking initiative.

someone else do it.

dot com.

Pants dont fit anymore backhand and change that stupid picture.

16 wins this year.