Cotto?

Box and Won

Interesting:

Former SLU player Ruben Cotto, a one-year standout at Alton High, has returned to his native Puerto Rico and is playing ball there. Cotto averaged 22.3 points per game two years ago for the 24-7 Redbirds. Cotto played in just seven games for the 18-14 Billkens last season.

Linky-poo

Interesting:

Former SLU player Ruben Cotto, a one-year standout at Alton High, has returned to his native Puerto Rico and is playing ball there. Cotto averaged 22.3 points per game two years ago for the 24-7 Redbirds. Cotto played in just seven games for the 18-14 Billkens last season.

Linky-poo

in hindsight, cotto was not a college student athlete. imo, he is not what colleges should be recruiting. hell of a basketball talent though.

in hindsight, cotto was not a college student athlete. imo, he is not what colleges should be recruiting. hell of a basketball talent though.

Roy. I honestly did not see him enough to judge. The few minutes he did play, I didn't focus on him. With that said, is he really that good? Are you basing your opinion on his high school performances? What happened to his going/not going to JUCO and Lasalle?

Roy. I honestly did not see him enough to judge. The few minutes he did play, I didn't focus on him. With that said, is he really that good? Are you basing your opinion on his high school performances? What happened to his going/not going to JUCO and Lasalle?

he was a talent. he just didnt have the right head and heart. i have no idea what happened to his college career plans but it wouldnt surprise me if someone said he just couldnt conform. there are just too many headstrong stories about ruben for something to not be there about his attitude or lack thereof.

I heard that the Cotto family might have either perpetuated the belief that he was the PR Jordan or outside influences might have also contributed to that belief. School and college work might have been the prerequisites for getting there and that was of no interest to the group. Good enough to go right to the big time, maybe? In any case, he was local and SLU was local. When he blew us off, the plan was a JUCO in Philly with subsequent enrollment at La Salle. Some even thought La Salle was footing the Philly JUCO bill. School, 4 year or JUCO, doesn't appear to have been in young Rueben's plans. Some day, I'd expect to see him hit some shot for Puerto Rico in some relatively meaningless international event and we'll all go "oh yeah, him."

Another young gun bites the dust. More went before, many more are sure to follow.

WHAT'S UP WITH ELLIS?????

I heard that the Cotto family might have either perpetuated the belief that he was the PR Jordan or outside influences might have also contributed to that belief. School and college work might have been the prerequisites for getting there and that was of no interest to the group. Good enough to go right to the big time, maybe? In any case, he was local and SLU was local. When he blew us off, the plan was a JUCO in Philly with subsequent enrollment at La Salle. Some even thought La Salle was footing the Philly JUCO bill. School, 4 year or JUCO, doesn't appear to have been in young Rueben's plans. Some day, I'd expect to see him hit some shot for Puerto Rico in some relatively meaningless international event and we'll all go "oh yeah, him."

Another young gun bites the dust. More went before, many more are sure to follow.

WHAT'S UP WITH ELLIS?????

Yeah, who cares about R.Cotto anyways? Where in the world is Cody Ellis? I think many are afraid to discuss.... group denial of the inevitable conclusion to what appears to be a royal screwing on SLU by the NCAA clearance house.

Where in the world is Cody Ellis? I think many are afraid to discuss.... group denial of the inevitable conclusion to what appears to be a royal screwing on SLU by the NCAA clearance house.

i am curious, if this is a matter that the ncaa doesnt like ellis college prep scenario academically because of the pass/fail thing, then why is salecich in and ellis not? according to the roster at slubillikens.com, both attended "intstitute of sport" (am i the only one rolling my eyes and shaking my head whenever hearing the name of this "academic institution"?), wouldnt salecich be in the same boat? i fear there are bigger issues than what we have been leaked. i seriously doubt the ncaa would go out of their way to "royally screw" saint louis university. slu has always had a great relationship with the ncaa (didnt slu just get rewarded an ncaa men's basketball regional?) that i am aware of and i dont believe for one minute this is a backup in processing.

there is more to the story. has to be. now what that is, i have no clue, but personally i have now pretty much accepted cody ellis isnt going to be a billiken. i hope like hell i am wrong, because it is pretty obvious he was the crown jewel of this recruiting class, but face the facts folks, it's over a month into the school year. even if cleared, i just dont see how a student can be allowed to first start classes this far into the school semester.

i am curious, if this is a matter that the ncaa doesnt like ellis college prep scenario academically because of the pass/fail thing, then why is salecich in and ellis not? according to the roster at slubillikens.com, both attended "intstitute of sport" (am i the only one rolling my eyes and shaking my head whenever hearing the name of this "academic institution"?), wouldnt salecich be in the same boat? i fear there are bigger issues than what we have been leaked. i seriously doubt the ncaa would go out of their way to "royally screw" saint louis university. slu has always had a great relationship with the ncaa (didnt slu just get rewarded an ncaa men's basketball regional?) that i am aware of and i dont believe for one minute this is a backup in processing.

there is more to the story. has to be. now what that is, i have no clue, but personally i have now pretty much accepted cody ellis isnt going to be a billiken. i hope like hell i am wrong, because it is pretty obvious he was the crown jewel of this recruiting class, but face the facts folks, it's over a month into the school year. even if cleared, i just dont see how a student can be allowed to first start classes this far into the school semester.

I think there is a very possible scenario where he is cleared and is either suspended for the first semester or basically told that he can't play due to all the school missed during the first semester.

Either way, the fact that he, as of yet, has not signed with a pro team in Australia is a good sign. Maybe he figures he can do that at any time or maybe he really does believe he's going to college and its only a matter of time. If Ellis truly didn't believe he was still coming to college my guess is he would have signed at this point.

I haven"t posted much lately, but when I do, I add some sort of "where is Ellis?" tagline. Roy has summed up exactly why I do. Two kids going to the same school, doing essentially the same routine. One is in and one is not. SLU is by no stretch a rogue school. Neither is Majerus; hell, if Calipari ain't, how could anyone else be for that matter. Where are the missing 18 minutes of this tape? I don't discount kshoe's thoughts, or Box's. Why is there little to no information available? You can't comment on a kid until he's signed. Ellis is signed. Somebody ask Biancardi if the damn school is playing Sigma Six. I don't understand why there is absolutely NO information on what is happening. Inquiring minds want to know and is it that tough? If it is, tell me and I'll stop asking.

Personnaly, I don't care if Rueben is the starting five for the Cayman Kimodo Dragons right now. I DO care what is up with Ellis and believe we have a right to know.

-in rick's interview with frank (i think i started the thread), rick said the problem with the english class was when ellis was in high school i perth, not at the institute with dr von nostrum, so that is how there is a difference between cody and christian

-i may not have mentioned this history in my post but someone did

-so i would guess christian is ok

Last Saturday evening I was told the following regarding CE:

1. It is not as cut and dry as one class being an issue, it has some other undisclosed aspects.

2. The University is getting as much data available to present as possible, to hopefully receive a positive ruling.

3. He could enroll in October and take "professional studies" classes which begin on October 21 (I assume that means some type of night school.)

4. If he enrolls too late for 1st semester, he would begin playing as soon as classes end for 1st semester. He doesn't have to wait for 2nd semester to begin. I believe that is December 16.

The Institute of Sport is not a high school where they take classes, but more of a professional development program to my understanding. They both graduated from high school the year before, and then through a very selective process were chosen to be a part of the AIS for the next year. And I believe that CS and CE are from different regions of the country, and have different high schools and backgrounds because of that.

1. It is not as cut and dry as one class being an issue, it has some other undisclosed aspects.

2. The University is getting as much data available to present as possible, to hopefully receive a positive ruling.

3. He could enroll in October and take "professional studies" classes which begin on October 21 (I assume that means some type of night school.)

4. If he enrolls too late for 1st semester, he would begin playing as soon as classes end for 1st semester. He doesn't have to wait for 2nd semester to begin. I believe that is December 16.

Thanks for that info! I feel a little more optimistic after hearing that.

This isn't just a case of looking at the kids report card and making a decision, either. As we are residents in the land of the lawyers, shouldn't it be understood that there are going to be hundreds of documents, lots of people to talk to, and most importantly lots of billable hours to take care of before this is settled.

As long as RM and company are confident Cody will not turn pro and intends to come to SLU when cleared, then every t'ing irie. December 16 will be upon us soon enough.

The Institute of Sport is not a high school where they take classes, but more of a professional development program to my understanding. They both graduated from high school the year before, and then through a very selective process were chosen to be a part of the AIS for the next year. And I believe that CS and CE are from different regions of the country, and have different high schools and backgrounds because of that.

We've had an AIS player before, a little under a decade ago. Andrew Latimer didn't have any issues becoming eligible, did he? I don't remember him ever having to sit or having Clearinghouse problems. Granted, that was before I was at SLU but I remember him playing without issue until he decided to leave.

We've had an AIS player before, a little under a decade ago. Andrew Latimer didn't have any issues becoming eligible, did he? I don't remember him ever having to sit or having Clearinghouse problems. Granted, that was before I was at SLU but I remember him playing without issue until he decided to leave.

Yeah, I don't think any of this has to do with the AIS. It's gotta be from wherever he went to school before attending the academy. The AIS is like a training academy for athletes, not a high school.

As long as RM and company are confident Cody will not turn pro and intends to come to SLU when cleared, then every t'ing irie. December 16 will be upon us soon enough.

Its all about getting him in eventually. I could care less about the first semester at this point. Its not like we are going to win a national championship in October and November.

As Cowboy stated earlier in this thread, the issue was with a class when Ellis was in high school in Perth, Australia, before he started attending the Australian Institute of Sport.

One reason for why Salecich is qualified and Ellis is not at this time is that Salecich is from the province of Queensland. Perth, where Ellis is from, is in the province of Western Australia. To put it in American terms, think the Australian version of New York and California, as far as distance across the country is concerned.

The closest American examples I can think of to the Australian Institute of Sport would be either the US Soccer junior residency program or the IMG Academy in Bradenton, Florida. Basically they are programs for kids with excellent athletic skills, with a clear focus on athletics, but they also make time for academic coursework as well. The SLU Men's Soccer program has has a few players from the US Soccer Residency program in recent years, John DiRaimondo, Brian Grazier, and Tim Ward. My understanding is that the AIS offers scholarships to kids thought to be superb athletically when they have a year or two left in high school. If they accept the scholarship, then they leave their previous high school and complete their high school education at the AIS, while playing their sport at a higher level.

Its all about getting him in eventually. I could care less about the first semester at this point. Its not like we are going to win a national championship in October and November.

-Its all about getting him in eventually - at this point i agree and hope he dons our uniform and performs as we think he can

-that being said, even if arrives tomorrow he has missed individual workouts and whatever admittedly limited time the coaches can spend with him and he is not playing with the rest of the team in their games at simon, so his gelling with the team will be a bit off from what it could have been had he been here since aug 10 or whenever - can he make that up? i hope so

-could impact this season's results, esp early, which if the rams are bad and the cards flop in the playoffs could impact our ability to get entertainment dollars

-let's just hope he gets here

-Its all about getting him in eventually - at this point i agree and hope he dons our uniform and performs as we think he can

-that being said, even if arrives tomorrow he has missed individual workouts and whatever admittedly limited time the coaches can spend with him and he is not playing with the rest of the team in their games at simon, so his gelling with the team will be a bit off from what it could have been had he been here since aug 10 or whenever - can he make that up? i hope so

-could impact this season's results, esp early, which if the rams are bad and the cards flop in the playoffs could impact our ability to get entertainment dollars

-let's just hope he gets here

Here's what I don't get about all this. If he was just a foreign student, not an athlete, he'd have been here in Sept. SLU"s decision. OK, he's an athlete and NCAA has to cross every T dot every I, well why not do for this every athlete aspiring to play whether or not they are a domestic or international? Answer: there would be a serious drop off in D1 talent. Point being, shouldn't it be up to the institution and not the NCAA whether he's academically qualified. The NCAA should be limited to rule only on questions about the player being a former pro or accepting cash to play in some form. Frustrating, since it is CE's future that's up in the air at this point.

Point being, shouldn't it be up to the institution and not the NCAA whether he's academically qualified. The NCAA should be limited to rule only on questions about the player being a former pro or accepting cash to play in some form.

i am sure the likes of calipari would be all about honesty if this was the case.

it has long been my belief that the one thing that can control college athletics is strictly enforcing academics and academics alone. if 100% of college athletic police work was about academics only, i have long believed that most of the messes and issues would go away simply because the quality of person that is a true student athlete would raise substantially.

you also would send a message to up and coming student athletes that academics is what really matters.

of course that might mean a couple of derrick roses never get a chance to play one season of college athletics and that apparently is just not good.