Soderberg to..... LINDENWOOD???

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I never said that all Catholics should attend Catholic schools. You did. I'm just very surprised that a guy who is so spiritual doesn't believe Catholic education is more important than basketball. Especially when money shouldn't be an object (he made $300K) and the quality of basketball in the MCC is pretty good.

I'm not surprised you erroneously assumed that Brad was placing basketball ahead of his children's faith and education of their faith, considering your posts.

You are making the statement that guys that are "so spiritual" send their kids to Catholic Schools. You are implying exclusively so, or so much so that it greatly "surprises" in other cases like this.

You do not know Brad's reasonsing for allowing his kid to choose the high school his kid chose. You sure do make a lot of assumptions though.

You also assumed Roy's answer before he gave one.

If you spent less time assuming, you'd be less "surprised."

I am happy for Brad. A lot of people really don't understand how good of a job this is because it is at the NAIA level. This is a great job and better fit for a guy Brad's age and family situation than any asst. D1 job. Lindenwood pays well and they will give Brad everything he needs to succeed at that level.

I'm not surprised you erroneously assumed that Brad was placing basketball ahead of his children's faith and education of their faith, considering your posts.

You are making the statement that guys that are "so spiritual" send their kids to Catholic Schools. You are implying exclusively so, or so much so that it greatly "surprises" in other cases like this.

You do not know Brad's reasonsing for allowing his kid to choose the high school his kid chose. You sure do make a lot of assumptions though.

You also assumed Roy's answer before he gave one.

If you spent less time assuming, you'd be less "surprised."

Give me a break! Sorry if I'm surprised by someone who wears his faith on his sleeve as much as Brad not sending his kids to Catholic schools. Read the interview again "faith, faith, faith, faith". The guy made Kurt Warner sound like Karl Marx.

Are you now going to chastise roy about lying in his posts?

Be careful, you might get a bloody nose on that high horse of yours.

Guest BillikenReport

Hopefully he does well, I just hope that we don't end up battling him for local recruits. VTIME, do you think there'll be issues with this in the future?

I hope this wasn't a serious question.

Give me a break! Sorry if I'm surprised by someone who wears his faith on his sleeve as much as Brad not sending his kids to Catholic schools. Read the interview again "faith, faith, faith, faith". The guy made Kurt Warner sound like Karl Marx.

Are you now going to chastise roy about lying in his posts?

Be careful, you might get a bloody nose on that high horse of yours.

I'm not on a high horse. I didn't judge, you did. I respect your right to your opinion. What you are not respecting is Brad's right and ability to be a perceived man of deep faith and be that 100% while at the same time allowing his kid to choose St. Charles West instead of an MCC school.

When I was a kid, my parents didn't "send" me anywhere. I chose my high school.

Go try to bully someone else, it won't work with me.

Kindly show me where I "attack your decision". I wrote that you can't say St. Chuck West is better than the MCC schools. You've already laid out why you made your decision, and I really don't care. I was predicting what your response would be, and I was correct. I don't know or really care what's going on in Belleville. Besides, you're not on here making statements about how important your faith is. And you're not even Catholic.

I'll stand by my statement that I don't believe we ever heard much about Brad's faith until he was out of a job and trying to sell his house. Can you find an article where he mentioned that he was going to Mass every day?

You either owe me an apology or an explanantion, because saying I "attacked" you is a flat out lie.

I've personally attended Mass with Brad. My word is good here. I don't say things that aren't true. Brad while at SLU attended Mass daily, as in almost every day.(note, I did not attend daily with him, but friends of mine did) You have very strong sweeping views of a lot of things before even having facts at hand or a remotely mild informed opinion. Brad welcomes and respects people of all faiths and no faith at all, just the same, even you Footes.

The world doesn't need to inform you every time something happens. Sometimes things happen every single day, of which you know nothing about. I'm "shocked" Brad never called you to tell you he was attending Mass daily, or when he went to the rest room. Now, if only everybody else would please inform Footes every time Footes needs to know about something.

No one owes you anything. What you need is to be taken out back in an alley with me, but Brad's faith won't let me. ;)

I'm not on a high horse. I didn't judge, you did. I respect your right to your opinion. What you are not respecting is Brad's right and ability to be a perceived man of deep faith and be that 100% while at the same time allowing his kid to choose St. Charles West instead of an MCC school.

Go try to bully someone else, it won't work with me.

I'm trying to "bully" you. ;) What a laugh. I was having an exchange with roy and you jumped in. If anyone is being a bully here it's you. And, likewise, I have no intention of being bullied by the likes of you.

I'm trying to "bully" you. ;) What a laugh. I was having an exchange with roy and you jumped in. If anyone is being a bully here it's you. And, likewise, I have no intention of being bullied by the likes of you.

You posted on an internet message forum ripping Soderberg, and baiting Roy. I corrected your misinformation because I had more accurate information.

As I said,

I respect your right to your opinion. What you are not respecting is Brad's right and ability to be a perceived man of deep faith and be that 100% while at the same time allowing his kid to choose St. Charles West instead of an MCC school.

If you want to have a private conversation with Roy, take it to pm. If you want to publicly rip Soderberg in an uninformed manner, I'll answer it with objective, more accurate information if I have it.

I've personally attended Mass with Brad. My word is good here. I don't say things that aren't true. Brad while at SLU attended Mass daily, as in almost every day.(note, I did not attend daily with him, but friends of mine did) You have very strong sweeping views of a lot of things before even having facts at hand or a remotely mild informed opinion. Brad welcomes and respects people of all faiths and no faith at all, just the same, even you Footes.

The world doesn't need to inform you every time something happens. Sometimes things happen every single day, of which you know nothing about. I'm "shocked" Brad never called you to tell you he was attending Mass daily, or when he went to the rest room. Now, if only everybody else would please inform Footes every time Footes needs to know about something.

No one owes you anything. What you need is to be taken out back in an alley with me, but Brad's faith won't let me. ;)

What a bullsh!t post this is! If I were a name-dropping, jock sniffer like you I suppose I would be making posts like "I attended Mass with Brad". Good for you! Congratulations. Let's put you in the hall of fame and build a statue of you outside the arena! Hey everybody, notice courtside! Pay attention to him!

If you don't think a "faith, faith, faith, faith" interview was different than the way he typically communicated with the media, you're either lying or didn't follow the team for five years while he was coaching. I NEVER suggested Brad was making it up, only that he was communicating in a very different way than he had in the past.

And now you're threatening to injure me! Very classy. ;)

My word is good here. I don't say things that aren't true.

Ha Ha Ha Ha hA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is a joke, right?

I haven't followed this thread, but why am I not surprised that my pal courtside is in another row. It's getting old.

Nothing wrong with Footes being 'surprised' that kramer didn't go to a Catholic school given the interview, but now who really cares where Brad 'sent' his kid to hs? Let's move on.

roy, i think Brad is a decent enough guy. I just don't remember hearing too much about his faith until he was out of work and trying to sell his house. I've commented on this before, but Brad's faith story rings hollow to me. He drove past CBC, DeSmet, Chaminade, and SLUH on his way to work in the morning but sent his kid to St. Chuck West. It's not like Brad didn't have the money to afford tuition. For someone to cling to the faith bit but not think it's important enough to be part of his children's education doesn't add up IMO.

roy, I know you'll probably follow up with why Belleville whatever is better than Althoff, but you really can't say that St. Chuck West is better than the 5 MCC schools. If you want to say that going to St. Chuck West was a basketball decision, that's fine. If that's the case, then faith is secondary to basketball for Brad.

I went back and read the comments that started this little dust-up and these comments really do seem out of line. It seems you are questioning whether Soderberg's comments about his faith are genuine. I don't know how you can make such a strong allegation.

I went back and read the comments that started this little dust-up and these comments really do seem out of line. It seems you are questioning whether Soderberg's comments about his faith are genuine. I don't know how you can make such a strong allegation.

Obviously, many of you don't understand living in St. Charles. Some, of course, would never want to live there and take any chance they can (even go out of their way) to rip St. Charles. Free country and everyone is entitled to their opinion. Brad and his wife, though, love St. Charles, have considered St. Charles as compared to all the cities they lived together in to be their "home", are extremely excited about returing to St. Charles and will buy a home in the St. Charles West school district. I talked with their realtor yesterday and understand she had already been showing them housing before yesterday's official announcement.

Not all public schools are of the same quality and not all Catholic schools are of the same quality. Intending no offense to the current and former students at Duchesne High School - the local Catholic school, it simply is not that good and isn't a real alternative for many. This is a rather common opinion of many in St. Charles, including many Duchesne grads. The other arch-diocesine school, St. Dominic's, further West in the County is not that good either. Therefore, good practicing Catholics either choose their local public high school or, as Footes suggests, many decide to travel to St. Louis County/City to attend the MCC. St. Charles kids now total nearly 35% of the kids at DeSmet and with the relocated CBC, I would assume their numbers to be quite high as well. With this decision, though, also comes the obvious travel time/mileage (parent must drive and kid must be willing to be driven everywhere during his Freshman and Sophomore year). Many good Catholics (parents and kids) aren't into this and want to stay local with their friends/neighbors. Believe Roy calls the placing family first.

I know that Brad and his wife personally wrestled with this decision for the reasons stated by Footes but that they chose SCW. Call it a basketball decision for older son Kramer but they also chose SCW for their daughter and she will not play D1 basketball, is not being coached by Terry Hollander who runs a really good program, who also coached both Ryan Robertson and Troy Robertson (SLU) to a State Title and who advanced quite far in the State Tournament with Kramer.

BTW also, their kids all went to their local parish school of St. Cletus and that their youngest son (6th grade) is considered the best basketball player in the family. Only time will tell. Finally, put me in the camp with those who believe that Brad openly and frequently talks about his faith, is proud of his faith, enjoys going to Mass each day -- seems like a good Catholic to me.

Well, you were obviously wrong that I was "attacking" or "taking a jab" at you. I was pointing out that as soon as I mentioned Brad didn't send his kids to Catholic high school you would immediately tell us all again about how you switched schools with your daughter. I DON'T CARE THAT YOU CHANGED YOUR DAUGHTER'S SCHOOL, roy. That's it. Stop being so paranoid about everything!

Then you make a completely ridiculous statement:

"what since i am not catholic i cant make a statement about the importance of my faith? the catholic religion is the only christian faith? that is big news."

I never said anything like that, roy. You are obvioulsy lying once again. My comment was that since you aren't Catholic I don't expect you to send your kids to Catholic schools. Is that so hard for you to understand? Now, if you were Catholic, had the funds to send your kids to Catholic schools that were just as good or better than the public schools, and talked about how you prayed the rosary on the treadmill I would say that I was suprised by your decision.

You now owe my two apologies roy! Stop making things up.

you are an idiotif you think i should apologize to you. you were the one that started this and incited the exchange. you should apologize to me.

you are an idiotif you think i should apologize to you. you were the one that started this and incited the exchange. you should apologize to me.

Sometimes... actually a lot of times in the last year or so.... this board amazes me as to the inane and petty subjects that get debated (and using the term debated is being kind). Who give a flying f++k about Brad Soderberg's commitment to St. Charles, the Catholic Faith, or Chocolate Chip Cookies and Milk (Ok, I made that one up to make a point)? The man no longer coaches here, his kid plays for Miami, and to the best of my knowledge his severance package is all paid up. So what the hell does he have to do with Billiken Basketball is the question? Let him got to Lindenwood, work the magic many on here believes he possesses, become the next John Beilein, take over a BCS program and have the success that some feel is due him because he goes to Mass every morning. Brad seems convinced he has an open pipeline to God and I'm cool with that. A lot of good people think that and we can't knock 'em for their beliefs. I'm just pi**ed because he didn't use it and ask for divine intervention when he was recruiting for SLU.

Great pickup for Lindenwood.

Seems like a good fit for BS where he can spend more time with his family and less time away.

Now the question becomes whether Kramer transfers there to play for his dad.

His salary will probably be in the range of 40,000-$70,000, that it what most NAIA coaches make. That is what my coach at MOBAP got paid, his salry was $45,000 and he taught classes too.

Sometimes... actually a lot of times in the last year or so.... this board amazes me as to the inane and petty subjects that get debated (and using the term debated is being kind). Who give a flying f++k about Brad Soderberg's commitment to St. Charles, the Catholic Faith, or Chocolate Chip Cookies and Milk (Ok, I made that one up to make a point)? The man no longer coaches here, his kid plays for Miami, and to the best of my knowledge his severance package is all paid up. So what the hell does he have to do with Billiken Basketball is the question? Let him got to Lindenwood, work the magic many on here believes he possesses, become the next John Beilein, take over a BCS program and have the success that some feel is due him because he goes to Mass every morning. Brad seems convinced he has an open pipeline to God and I'm cool with that. A lot of good people think that and we can't knock 'em for their beliefs. I'm just pi**ed because he didn't use it and ask for divine intervention when he was recruiting for SLU.

Best post on this subject. Really who cares and who is to judge if he's a "good Catholic"?

We'll never know, but you're assuming that he wouldn't have gotten a D1 scholarship if he had gone to Chaminade or DeSmet. Why do you think that?

Also, based on your post, I can assume that getting a basketball scholarship is more important than faith to you. That's fine, but if you were telling me that you went to Mass every day, prayed the rosary on the treadmill, etc., I would say that I was surprised. Not judging, just surprised.

I'm not assuming anything. All I'm saying is that things worked out very well for Kramer at SCW.

Is getting a basketball scholarship more important to me than faith? If it was my daughter and I thought she'd have a better chance of landing a scholarship to a college like Miami OH by going to a public school (whether it's academic or athletic), you better believe I'm going with the public school.

The final decision for the Soderberg family for Kramer's high school options were between St. Charles West and Duschene, a smaller co-ed Catholic school in St. Charles. They did look at the MCC schools for a while, but Brad's schedule would not have worked out with dropping off and picking up Kramer everyday. He also did not want to put that additional driving burden on his wife, who had to worry about getting the other two kids to and from the nearby Catholic grade school.

They also didn't have any personal connection to any of the MCC schools, and let's face it, there's a lot more than just tuition money that goes into sending a son to an MCC school. It came down to the family's decision that the extra day-to-day challenges and significant tuition costs weren't worth it, even if the Soderbergs could afford it.

Though a Catholic education may have been ideal, Duschene can't compete with SCW in terms of academic offerings (similar to Roy's Belleville West-Althoff scenario) or athletics (division, facilities, opponents, attention, etc.). Plus, Kramer and Brad got to know Terry Hollander, one of the best coaches around at that level and an even better guy.

The whole faith argument in this thread is frivolous.

The final decision for the Soderberg family for Kramer's high school options were between St. Charles West and Duschene, a smaller co-ed Catholic school in St. Charles. They did look at the MCC schools for a while, but Brad's schedule would not have worked out with dropping off and picking up Kramer everyday. He also did not want to put that additional driving burden on his wife, who had to worry about getting the other two kids to and from the nearby Catholic grade school.

They also didn't have any personal connection to any of the MCC schools, and let's face it, there's a lot more than just tuition money that goes into sending a son to an MCC school. It came down to the family's decision that the extra day-to-day challenges and significant tuition costs weren't worth it, even if the Soderbergs could afford it.

Though a Catholic education may have been ideal, Duschene can't compete with SCW in terms of academic offerings (similar to Roy's Belleville West-Althoff scenario) or athletics (division, facilities, opponents, attention, etc.). Plus, Kramer and Brad got to know Terry Hollander, one of the best coaches around at that level and an even better guy.

The whole faith argument in this thread is frivolous.

Amen.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=29...+do+what+i+want

it's my hot body, i'll do what i want. brad's lucky that kramer turned out the way he did, regardless of where he went to skoo.

(south park maury povich vid for those with hatervision at work)