News from Timmermann

Kbrew

"Tommie was not there. No public explanation was given. I was told he had a personal commitment he couldn’t get out of, but nothing else.

I know nothing about him leaving school, though it would be really, really foolish to do that this close to graduating.

Also not on hand, associate AD Mark Wright who apparently is a finalist for several jobs right now.

And lastly, signing day is coming up, but expect only one, Cody Ellis from Australia, right now. There will probably be another one, but not until later. Players who sign in the late period nowadays are more likely to sign after signing day because the end of the season delays their campus visits.

Which reminds me that recruit Jeff Reid was named Mr. Kansas Basketball. From the Topeka newspaper:

The 6-foot-5 senior standout, who is headed to Saint Louis University next year, was named Mr. Kansas Basketball by the Kansas Basketball Coaches Association. Reid averaged 19.9 points per game and led the Wildcats to a third-place finish in Class 4A after helping them win the 2008 state title.

I probably shouldn’t bury all this stuff in a comment."

— Tom Timmermann

9:35 am April 13th, 2009

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

"Tommie was not there. No public explanation was given. I was told he had a personal commitment he couldn’t get out of, but nothing else.

I know nothing about him leaving school, though it would be really, really foolish to do that this close to graduating.

Also not on hand, associate AD Mark Wright who apparently is a finalist for several jobs right now.

And lastly, signing day is coming up, but expect only one, Cody Ellis from Australia, right now. There will probably be another one, but not until later. Players who sign in the late period nowadays are more likely to sign after signing day because the end of the season delays their campus visits.

Which reminds me that recruit Jeff Reid was named Mr. Kansas Basketball. From the Topeka newspaper:

The 6-foot-5 senior standout, who is headed to Saint Louis University next year, was named Mr. Kansas Basketball by the Kansas Basketball Coaches Association. Reid averaged 19.9 points per game and led the Wildcats to a third-place finish in Class 4A after helping them win the 2008 state title.

I probably shouldn’t bury all this stuff in a comment."

— Tom Timmermann

9:35 am April 13th, 2009

Great news about Reid. He is my early choice to start at the two guard though I know Salecich may be a little more to Coach's liking due to his strong play defensively.

Andy Strickland reported that Tommie has left campus. If so, what a shame and what a waste of an opportunity to have a diploma from St. Louis U. I hope this news is not true

Great news about Reid. He is my early choice to start at the two guard though I know Salecich may be a little more to Coach's liking due to his strong play defensively.

Andy Strickland reported that Tommie has left campus. If so, what a shame and what a waste of an opportunity to have a diploma from St. Louis U. I hope this news is not true

If TL truly has left school w/o graduating, my respect for him will go down dramatically. Trying to remember the positives but, if true, not sure I will really care at all about him or his future. Go play in Europe and ***** about RM and SLU the rest of your life instead of being a class act and ambassador of the school.

I certainly don't take what Strickland says as Gospel, but when combined with what Timmerman is saying about him missing the banquet, there may be something to his report

based on track record, i would trust timmerman far more than strickland. it wouldnt surprise me if strickland's "source' is reading a bobby metz post at billiken.com.

boy i hope tommie gets his degree from slu now more than ever. of course strickland will apologize for that right after he apologizes for lying about cotto not making the grades to get into slu.

based on track record, i would trust timmerman far more than strickland. it wouldnt surprise me if strickland's "source' is reading a bobby metz post at billiken.com.

boy i hope tommie gets his degree from slu now more than ever. of course strickland will apologize for that right after he apologizes for lying about cotto not making the grades to get into slu.

Timmerman said he hadnt heard about it, and my guess is that he is more in the loop than strickland so I doubt that info is credible.

I certainly don't take what Strickland says as Gospel, but when combined with what Timmerman is saying about him missing the banquet, there may be something to his report

DeSmet Billiken is a credible poster and said Majerus commented that Janet Oberle is disappointed about Tommie electing not to finish. Ms. Oberle is the assistant AD in charge of supervising " academic progress for student-athletes." Regardless of Strickland's credibility issues, I don't know how else to interpret that comment other than Tommie dropped out.

If Tommie dropped out is it Majerus's fault Roy?

A lot of players do this while preparing to go pro. I'm not sure why this is a surprise or looked upon negatively. If he was only a semester away from graduating, it shouldnt be that hard to make it up if he needs/chooses to do so after his playing career is over. Sometimes you have to strike while the iron is hot.

A lot of players do this while preparing to go pro. I'm not sure why this is a surprise or looked upon negatively. If he was only a semester away from graduating, it shouldnt be that hard to make it up if he needs/chooses to do so after his playing career is over. Sometimes you have to strike while the iron is hot.

And you wonder why people give you a hard time.

Please tell us this post is sarcastic.

Do you actually think that Tommie dropped out of school to train for pro ball? Where is he, at the IMG academy?

You give him too much credit.............academics were such a struggle for him that there is no way that he will finish if he has to go back later and pay for it himself.....

It's a shame.........

First round draft picks do this. Not euro ball wannabes. Tommie wasn't even invited to any of the senior camps.

Glad to see this is the type of advice you would give kids.

Tommie will be a "D-league" guy.........

Liddell will probably have some overseas opportunities, but I also agree that he is going to play in the D-League, especially with influential Majerus probably bad-mouthing him.

This is not unusual. Tommie will be fine. He can probably fetch at least 70k right now overseas. Worst case scenario, he blows his knee out before he ever signs a pro deal. He can enroll at Harris-Stowe for $2,000 a semester and finish his remaining credits. This move will not ruin his life. Has anyone even confirmed that this is true? I'm sure Leo Lyons hasnt been playing in Portsmouth because he's on spring break. He's trying to cash in. Those in Columbia dont seem to be panicking.

Liddell will probably have some overseas opportunities, but I also agree that he is going to play in the D-League, especially with influential Majerus probably bad-mouthing him.

If indeed TLIII was on schedule to get his diploma this year and only had one semester to finish, his alleged dropping out makes absolutely no sense. Someone's giving him some very bad advice. From everything I'd read re: TLIII's academics it was progressing and he seemed to be embracing his field of study. Remember there was an article a year or so ago about his internship with St. L law enforcement and how much it opened his eyes as to the value of an education. If someone is telling him to leave to get ready for pro ball, they're not doing him any service whatsoever. One thing that's apparent though is RM doesn't have any relationship with TLIII to convince him this is a dumb a** move. It seems anyone who is a member of TLIII's entourage is down on SLU and blames RM for ruining TL's shot at an NBA career. Sorry to throw water on anyone's dream but TLIII is not one of the 50 or so best players in the world waiting to be drafted by an NBA team. If he was, we'd have been a whole lot better this year.

If indeed TLIII was on schedule to get his diploma this year and only had one semester to finish, his alleged dropping out makes absolutely no sense. Someone's giving him some very bad advice. From everything I'd read re: TLIII's academics it was progressing and he seemed to be embracing his field of study. Remember there was an article a year or so ago about his internship with St. L law enforcement and how much it opened his eyes as to the value of an education. If someone is telling him to leave to get ready for pro ball, they're not doing him any service whatsoever. One thing that's apparent though is RM doesn't have any relationship with TLIII to convince him this is a dumb a** move. It seems anyone who is a member of TLIII's entourage is down on SLU and blames RM for ruining TL's shot at an NBA career. Sorry to throw water on anyone's dream but TLIII is not one of the 50 or so best players in the world waiting to be drafted by an NBA team. If he was, we'd have been a whole lot better this year.

That was a misquote. I agree with you that Liddell has little to no chance in playing for the D-league. I also agree that he should stay in school and hope that his close friends aren't persuading him to do otherwise.

majerus has publicly stated that he will be doing whatever he can to find lisch and liddell places to play. i believe him when he says that. is he bad mouthing tommie by saying that he's not NBA level. No he's telling the truth. is he bad mouthing him by saying he needs to improve his outside shot and drive to the basket more? no he's telling the truth. unfortunately tommie's surrounding family and friends just don't see it that way.

This is not unusual. Tommie will be fine. He can probably fetch at least 70k right now overseas. Worst case scenario, he blows his knee out before he ever signs a pro deal. He can enroll at Harris-Stowe for $2,000 a semester and finish his remaining credits. This move will not ruin his life. Has anyone even confirmed that this is true? I'm sure Leo Lyons hasnt been playing in Portsmouth because he's on spring break. He's trying to cash in. Those in Columbia dont seem to be panicking.

This not about anybody panicking - it is just some who believe that dropping out of school with only a semester left - it that is true - and half of the semester already over is not a wise life choice. Who is right - who knows because nobody here has the full story of why this may or may not have happened. I would also like to point out that I doubt the Harris Stowe would allow some one to transfer in and complete only one semester to get a degree - normally you have to attend longer than that. I would also point out that he can return to SLU at anytime to complete his degree free of charge I believe - others have done this over the years - Justin Love was one who comes to mind.