News from Timmermann

Kbrew

This is not unusual. Tommie will be fine. He can probably fetch at least 70k right now overseas. Worst case scenario, he blows his knee out before he ever signs a pro deal. He can enroll at Harris-Stowe for $2,000 a semester and finish his remaining credits. This move will not ruin his life. Has anyone even confirmed that this is true? I'm sure Leo Lyons hasnt been playing in Portsmouth because he's on spring break. He's trying to cash in. Those in Columbia dont seem to be panicking.

How many classes will transfer to Harris Stowe..........they need to have enough courses for him to articulate! SLU will pay for him to finish his degree, but if he gets a semester of F's he may not be able to stay in school.

Did Tatum get a degree from mcKendree, or did he just finish his eligibilty?

$70K in europe? What are all of his buddies gonna do? Tommie has quite an extended family......

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Am I the only one who reads this and wonders of TLIII should really be excited about fetching $70,000 overseas right now. I would think that finishing a SLU education would be worth at least this and would allow him to keep drawing the salary a whole lot longer than playing ball would?

There is a poster on Valley talk ACEDAD who's son played at Evansville. He made the comment one time on this topic that many people would not believe the number of 6'5" and taller janitors he has met who were all given bad advice by "friends" and associates and should have finished their degrees.

Tommy, if this is true, please finish. If not immediately do it soon or it may never happen.

There's this little thing going on right now called a recession. There aren't a lot of jobs right now that will start you at $70,000. If he wants to finish school later, he will have every opportunity to do so. Like many of you, I also have a degree, I worked hard for it, and I value it. But at the same time, I can never knock anyone for going to follow their dreams, and not looking back. I know most people aren't living their dream and have some regret that they didnt wholeheartedly go after it. If he wants to finish school, he doenst have to let anything stop him. Plus there are few guys from East St. Louis playing ball and at the very least he could probably bounce some things off of at least one of them or maybe they could even make some calls for him.

How many classes will transfer to Harris Stowe..........they need to have enough courses for him to articulate! SLU will pay for him to finish his degree, but if he gets a semester of F's he may not be able to stay in school.

Did Tatum get a degree from mcKendree, or did he just finish his eligibilty?

$70K in europe? What are all of his buddies gonna do? Tommie has quite an extended family......

Depends on his major as far as which credits would transfer. And why would he get a semester of F's? He can just withdraw from his classes, they can force you to take an F. It would be dumb you just not come to class and get F's, when you can just withdraw as long as you haven't missed the deadline.

It's called inference. It's already been established that Majerus has been negative in the local media with Liddell. Whether it's accurate or mixed with praise, that fails to address the premise of my statement. I do not think college coaches should harshly criticize players in the media. That is an opinion, not fact. With many college graduates online, I'd think you'd know the difference.

The more I read your posts, the more apparent it becomes just how uninformed you are. Did you ever listen to the Majerus radio show on Monday nights? It seemd every show I listened to he either praised Tommie for his work in the classroom, or for being a good teammate or for his great improvement on defense. You have not established these negative comments in the local media. All I remember hearing was over the top praise, even when Tommie's production seemed to be slipping.

There's this little thing going on right now called a recession. There aren't a lot of jobs right now that will start you at $70,000. If he wants to finish school later, he will have every opportunity to do so. Like many of you, I also have a degree, I worked hard for it, and I value it. But at the same time, I can never knock anyone for going to follow their dreams, and not looking back. I know most people aren't living their dream and have some regret that they didnt wholeheartedly go after it. If he wants to finish school, he doenst have to let anything stop him. Plus there are few guys from East St. Louis playing ball and at the very least he could probably bounce some things off of at least one of them or maybe they could even make some calls for him.

VTime, I like you and appreciate your entrepreneurial spirit, but I certainly hope you are not--and would not--provide this advice to any kid. There are about ten kids in the world each year for whom this would be sound advice and they have names like Greg Oden, Kevin Durant, Michael Beasley, Derrick Rose, and OJ Mayo. For the other 99.9999999999% of the world, this is really, really bad guidance. There is absolutely no reason a kid with 6 weeks left in his final semester cannot continue to spend a few hours a day in class, a few hours a day studying, and still have time to stay in shape and work on his game. If Tommie takes Fs or Incompletes in his courses this semester, he may never be able to make up those classes. And what would be the upside of dropping out? If he works out 7 hours a day instead of 5 hours for the next six weeks is he going to suddenly become an NBA prospect? Is his agent (assuming he has one) unable to talk to foreign teams or the NBDL because he is finishing up school this month? To the contrary, I would think earning a degree would only make him more marketable to a team as a "high-character" prospect. Put simply, your "everyone should chase their dream" argument lacks substance because Tommie's basketball dream is not hindered by finishing up this semester but the more important academic dream may now be thrown away.

VTime, I like you and appreciate your entrepreneurial spirit, but I certainly hope you are not--and would not--provide this advice to any kid. There are about ten kids in the world each year for whom this would be sound advice and they have names like Greg Oden, Kevin Durant, Michael Beasley, Derrick Rose, and OJ Mayo. For the other 99.9999999999% of the world, this is really, really bad guidance. There is absolutely no reason a kid with 6 weeks left in his final semester cannot continue to spend a few hours a day in class, a few hours a day studying, and still have time to stay in shape and work on his game. If Tommie takes Fs or Incompletes in his courses this semester, he may never be able to make up those classes. And what would be the upside of dropping out? If he works out 7 hours a day instead of 5 hours for the next six weeks is he going to suddenly become an NBA prospect? Is his agent (assuming he has one) unable to talk to foreign teams or the NBDL because he is finishing up school this month? To the contrary, I would think earning a degree would only make him more marketable to a team as a "high-character" prospect. Put simply, your "everyone should chase their dream" argument lacks substance because Tommie's basketball dream is not hindered by finishing up this semester but the more important academic dream may now be thrown away.

The problem is that if TL3 drops out, he'd have to come up with money out of his own pocket to finish. Not that I condone Larry Hughes for blowing off school, but it was fairly certain that he was going to get a 7-figure deal. Hey, if TL3 hated RM and wanted to quit basketball I could maybe understand it. Quitting school is an entirely different matter.

Congrats vtime, you've just become another street agent.

Depends on his major as far as which credits would transfer. And why would he get a semester of F's? He can just withdraw from his classes, they can force you to take an F. It would be dumb you just not come to class and get F's, when you can just withdraw as long as you haven't missed the deadline.

This and the last post is terrible advice...you can't drop out of school with weeks left in the semester and a expect SLU (or any other university) to allow you to withdraw without failure. If SLU did that for an athlete - and likely no one else - then those who make the SLU moral high ground arguments on this site would be left with no legs to stand on. It would be a ridiculous circumvention of the rules.

So would making 70K for 3 years and then 25K for a decade (and beyond) be better than earning a degree and making 30K for 3 years and then climbing to 70K (or more) over the next decade?

But...what some posters have revealed since my last message is that TL3 is not on track to graduate this semester. Even if he finishes the semester, we'd likely not complete the summer school (plus one additional credit) if he's pursuing pro opportunities. Of course, he would be a little closer to graduation and a little less out of pocket if he ever wants to complete the remaining credits.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writ.../01/17/majerus/

There's a reason why people insist that Majerus has been negative with Liddell and I don't think it's fantasy. Look at the article above which is my source of information on the man that Majerus is. Admittedly, he has his supporters, but I found many of his antics very distasteful. Now if this is lack of knowledge...

The quote that was made at the beginning of the season two years ago. Why don't you look at almost every article after each game this year. You are putting your own spin on this because of that quote when he first got here.

I get what you guys are saying, I really do. But again if he wants to finish school after he's done playing professionally, he doesnt have to let anything stop him. Now, really is the time to strike, while his name is still important in basketball circles. If he has a solid agent, he should be flying him around per year playing pro ball overseas. You dont make it all in one league. A lot of these leagues are only 3-4 months at a time and you make some where from 25-60K per league. Its not millionaire money, but if you love basketball, its more than enough while you're young. And if you dont just blow the money, you can afford to finish school. I finished school, and I want Tommie to finish school, but if he's already left, I cant say that I totally disagree with the logic and nothing I say on this message board will make him come back to class tomorrow.

Am I the only one who reads this and wonders of TLIII should really be excited about fetching $70,000 overseas right now. I would think that finishing a SLU education would be worth at least this and would allow him to keep drawing the salary a whole lot longer than playing ball would?

There is a poster on Valley talk ACEDAD who's son played at Evansville. He made the comment one time on this topic that many people would not believe the number of 6'5" and taller janitors he has met who were all given bad advice by "friends" and associates and should have finished their degrees.

Tommy, if this is true, please finish. If not immediately do it soon or it may never happen.

No you are not the only one - many have said the same thing. Good to hear an objective point of view.

I get what you guys are saying, I really do. But again if he wants to finish school after he's done playing professionally, he doesnt have to let anything stop him. Now, really is the time to strike, while his name is still important in basketball circles. If he has a solid agent, he should be flying him around per year playing pro ball overseas. You dont make it all in one league. A lot of these leagues are only 3-4 months at a time and you make some where from 25-60K per league. Its not millionaire money, but if you love basketball, its more than enough while you're young. And if you dont just blow the money, you can afford to finish school. I finished school, and I want Tommie to finish school, but if he's already left, I cant say that I totally disagree with the logic and nothing I say on this message board will make him come back to class tomorrow.

-i guess TL should take his daughter along on this escapade?

I get what you guys are saying, I really do. But again if he wants to finish school after he's done playing professionally, he doesnt have to let anything stop him.

I'm fairly certain that college credits expire over a certain period of time, so if he were to go play professionally in Europe or elsewhere for 7 or 8 years, he may not be able to just pick up where he left off in school.

I'm fairly certain that college credits expire over a certain period of time, so if he were to go play professionally in Europe or elsewhere for 7 or 8 years, he may not be able to just pick up where he left off in school.

Unless things have changed, undergraduate credits last for a very long time - graduate credits tend to expire in 5 or sometimes 7 years but even that can be gotten around.

Unless things have changed, undergraduate credits last for a very long time - graduate credits tend to expire in 5 or sometimes 7 years but even that can be gotten around.

It depends on the school, but my last understanding was that they generally last up to ten years.