News from Timmermann

Kbrew

This not about anybody panicking - it is just some who believe that dropping out of school with only a semester left - it that is true - and half of the semester already over is not a wise life choice. Who is right - who knows because nobody here has the full story of why this may or may not have happened. I would also like to point out that I doubt the Harris Stowe would allow some one to transfer in and complete only one semester to get a degree - normally you have to attend longer than that. I would also point out that he can return to SLU at anytime to complete his degree free of charge I believe - others have done this over the years - Justin Love was one who comes to mind.

i believe mckendree allowed justin tatum to come there for one semester to get his degree.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This not about anybody panicking - it is just some who believe that dropping out of school with only a semester left - it that is true - and half of the semester already over is not a wise life choice. Who is right - who knows because nobody here has the full story of why this may or may not have happened. I would also like to point out that I doubt the Harris Stowe would allow some one to transfer in and complete only one semester to get a degree - normally you have to attend longer than that. I would also point out that he can return to SLU at anytime to complete his degree free of charge I believe - others have done this over the years - Justin Love was one who comes to mind.

Things may have changed but you can call the SLU admin and find out; I advised a friend who got married during Vietnam and had to finish at SIUE that if you have 3/4 of your hours from SLU and have to finish somewhere else you

can still get your SLU diploma if you take classes that are acceptable and needed to fill out your core or electives whatever the requirements are: so while it is a shame a kid would not do it while covered under a scholarship the University realizes that financial need like medical or supporting a young family things do crop up and it may not be

possible for someone to be eligible to get the degree somewhere else because they will not meet the minimum residency requirements. In other words SIUE or Harris Stowe or another school may want you there a whole year and

may not accept all of your classes such as religion but SLU can still be his place of graduation if he checks it out. He just

won't wear a cap and gown with his class. Think of it as a reverse transfer. And if he needs to make money to support

a family that may be why his head has been hanging all year. Something caused this kid to take a dive his whole senior

year even though as basketball season started he was really positive and gung-ho.

A lot of players do this while preparing to go pro. I'm not sure why this is a surprise or looked upon negatively. If he was only a semester away from graduating, it shouldnt be that hard to make it up if he needs/chooses to do so after his playing career is over. Sometimes you have to strike while the iron is hot.

strike what? what would he be doing right now to advance a pro career that he ouldn't still be doing while finishing up school?

I have never heard of a university that would give someone a degree after a semester of residence (except internet universities, of course). Most require the equivalent of 2 years.

Of course, students can always take credits at another university and credit them back to their 'home' university. There are restrictions, of course, and remembering from my uni days I don't think most universities allow many transfer credits from the advanced major courses.

I wish TL the best, but really wish he did/does complete the semester (for free, get the degree and spend plenty of time in the gym and court for any potential pro career). Of course, aren't we all assuming he was/is (1) on track to graduate this year (right number of credits, right number of credits in his major, etc); and (2) he wants to pursue a pro career?

I have never heard of a university that would give someone a degree after a semester of residence (except internet universities, of course). Most require the equivalent of 2 years.

Of course, students can always take credits at another university and credit them back to their 'home' university. There are restrictions, of course, and remembering from my uni days I don't think most universities allow many transfer credits from the advanced major courses.

I wish TL the best, but really wish he did/does complete the semester (for free, get the degree and spend plenty of time in the gym and court for any potential pro career). Of course, aren't we all assuming he was/is (1) on track to graduate this year (right number of credits, right number of credits in his major, etc); and (2) he wants to pursue a pro career?

Considering that the amount of scholarships a program can offer are directly related to the percentage of players a program graduates, it REALLY hurts to lose one when a kid only needs to finish another 4 weeks of classes

Considering that the amount of scholarships a program can offer are directly related to the percentage of players a program graduates, it REALLY hurts to lose one when a kid only needs to finish another 4 weeks of classes

That is a fair point to raise - however, as I said none of us know the full story - he may have been a lot more than one semester away from graduating. If so then his dropping out is a moot point.

That is a fair point to raise - however, as I said none of us know the full story - he may have been a lot more than one semester away from graduating. If so then his dropping out is a moot point.

I remember hearing Coach Majerus say on his show earlier this year that Liddell was close to graduating but would have to finish up this summer.

the comment you made about RM was a typo?

Do you think Majerus is going to help further Liddell's professional career after trashing him in the media over the last year? If so, what gives you that idea?

I remember hearing Coach Majerus say on his show earlier this year that Liddell was close to graduating but would have to finish up this summer.

I have been told that if Tommie passed his classes this semester he would be 1 course shy of graduation.

Do you think Majerus is going to help further Liddell's professional career after trashing him in the media over the last year? If so, what gives you that idea?

How did he "trash" TL? He had negative things to say, but I'm not sure he trashed him. Majerus also had plenty of positive things to say as well. I believe someone referenced a Majerus quote where RM said he would help both KL and TL.

Come on, get real. I don't think I've ever heard him trash Tommie. I've heard him give honest game analysis, and if Tommie's game or effort deserved criticism then it's right that he should get it. That's alot different than trashing Tommie. I've also heard RM say many, many more positive things after games than I have heard negative remarks. I've also heard him make many glowing remarks about Tommie as a player and as a person.

I also heard him make comments about Bryce Husak after games, and they weren't all glowing. Yet, I heard him give a 10 minute speech on the radio about what great individuals he and Danny Brown were and how great they would be to any prospective employers.

I've heard him criticize Pauls game and athletic ability and I've heard him just rave about Paul as a person. Same goes for Luke Meyer.

RM gives his honest opinion good and bad. That is how it should be.

You're biased and it shows bigtime. You frequently argue about things that you lack knowledge of, you should stop.

Come on, get real. I don't think I've ever heard him trash Tommie. I've heard him give honest game analysis, and if Tommie's game or effort deserved criticism then it's right that he should get it. That's alot different than trashing Tommie. I've also heard RM say many, many more positive things after games than I have heard negative remarks. I've also heard him make many glowing remarks about Tommie as a player and as a person.

I also heard him make comments about Bryce Husak after games, and they weren't all glowing. Yet, I heard him give a 10 minute speech on the radio about what great individuals he and Danny Brown were and how great they would be to any prospective employers.

I've heard him criticize Pauls game and athletic ability and I've heard him just rave about Paul as a person. Same goes for Luke Meyer.

RM gives his honest opinion good and bad. That is how it should be.

You're biased and it shows bigtime. You frequently argue about things that you lack knowledge of, you should stop.

I'm not a big fan of coaches being overly negative in the media about college players. I don't mind it at the professional level, but not in college. There's other ways to motivate college players than going public with your negative criticisms. That should be shared behind closed doors. Now you can agree or disagree with that opinion, but unclear how that relates to lack of knowledge, especially when you even acknowledge the negative comments from Majerus about Liddell. It appears to me that you're the one showing bias.

I am so sick of people saying this. Majerus praise of KL and TL has been actually over-the-top this year, almost in the "Tebow is going to cure cancer and poverty" category. He thanked them after every game and praised them non-stop. Crap like Kevin has made me a better person than I made him a player. I wish they were my sons or son-in-laws.

I thought it was getting out-of-hand myself, yet there still are people who somehow managed to think he trashes them? It is ridiculous.

I'm not a big fan of coaches being overly negative in the media about college players. I don't mind it at the professional level, but not in college. There's other ways to motivate college players than going public with your negative criticisms. That should be shared behind closed doors. Now you can agree or disagree with that opinion, but unclear how that relates to lack of knowledge, especially when you even acknowledge the negative comments from Majerus about Liddell. It appears to me that you're the one showing bias.

And I'm the one embarrassing myself?

Your lack of knowledge is evident when you say that Majerus "trashed" TL. Further, you refuse to acknowledge the very positive comments RM had about TL. Either that's from a lack of knowledge or intellectual dishonesty.

And I'm the one embarrassing myself?

Your lack of knowledge is evident when you say that Majerus "trashed" TL. Further, you refuse to acknowledge the very positive comments RM had about TL. Either that's from a lack of knowledge or intellectual dishonesty.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writ.../01/17/majerus/

There's a reason why people insist that Majerus has been negative with Liddell and I don't think it's fantasy. Look at the article above which is my source of information on the man that Majerus is. Admittedly, he has his supporters, but I found many of his antics very distasteful. Now if this is lack of knowledge...

There's a reason why people insist that Majerus has been negative with Liddell and I don't think it's fantasy. Look at the article above which is my source of information on the man that Majerus is. Admittedly, he has his supporters, but I found many of his antics very distasteful. Now if this is lack of knowledge...

I fail to see what that story has to do with Majerus "trashing" Liddell in the media

I must have missed the part in that article where he trashed Liddell.

so when a reporter asks a question about Tommie's (or any players) game after a game in which they got clobbered and said player played poorly, how should the coach respond?

What you said was Maerus's trashing of Tommie, you said it in a way that implied it was the norm and it was out of the ordinary to praise Tommie. That's where your bias comes in .... because you were wrong and you really don't care because you just don't like him.

Really, I said I was done earlier .... boo on me for continuing to discuss it with you. You might as well just respond with .... just because. I feel like I'm arguing with a Toddler.

This is not unusual. Tommie will be fine. He can probably fetch at least 70k right now overseas. Worst case scenario, he blows his knee out before he ever signs a pro deal. He can enroll at Harris-Stowe for $2,000 a semester and finish his remaining credits. This move will not ruin his life. Has anyone even confirmed that this is true? I'm sure Leo Lyons hasnt been playing in Portsmouth because he's on spring break. He's trying to cash in. Those in Columbia dont seem to be panicking.

Am I the only one who reads this and wonders of TLIII should really be excited about fetching $70,000 overseas right now. I would think that finishing a SLU education would be worth at least this and would allow him to keep drawing the salary a whole lot longer than playing ball would?

There is a poster on Valley talk ACEDAD who's son played at Evansville. He made the comment one time on this topic that many people would not believe the number of 6'5" and taller janitors he has met who were all given bad advice by "friends" and associates and should have finished their degrees.

Tommy, if this is true, please finish. If not immediately do it soon or it may never happen.

I fail to see what that story has to do with Majerus "trashing" Liddell in the media

It's called inference. It's already been established that Majerus has been negative in the local media with Liddell. Whether it's accurate or mixed with praise, that fails to address the premise of my statement. I do not think college coaches should harshly criticize players in the media. That is an opinion, not fact. With many college graduates online, I'd think you'd know the difference.

It's called inference. It's already been established that Majerus has been negative in the local media with Liddell. Whether it's accurate or mixed with praise, that fails to address the premise of my statement. I do not think college coaches should harshly criticize players in the media. That is an opinion, not fact. With many college graduates online, I'd think you'd know the difference.

:angry: This is very entertaining. I'm still trying to find where RM trashed TL.

Its also been established that Anderson's graduation rate and UAB was a disgrace and yet he gets a fresh start because its Mizzou. The only time Rick has said anything somewhat critical about Tommie this year is when he got lit up for 37pts. Do you just make up the trashing comments in your head? I want examples...