Reid 1st team All-State

SLUDrew

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Andy, I'll bet you lunch that Christian starts ahead of him. (Not that either of us have seen either of them play.)

Fair point, Nark. Christian's experience in international play could benefit him greatly. How nice it that a kid like Reid, who is a two-time All-State player that chose us over a Big 12 school, may have to work real hard to get minutes. What a great problem to have.

And then there's the strong possibility that Femi John will start ahead of both Reid and Salecich.

thicks what do you base that on? from what i saw of john in the preseason game before he was redshirted, john isnt going to start at slu.

thicks what do you base that on? from what i saw of john in the preseason game before he was redshirted, john isnt going to start at slu.

Probably just coach's constant praise of his improvement in practice throughout the year. The injury will be a setback, for sure, and the progression of his shot will be interesting, but I think he will be plenty athletic and poised when he comes in. I could see he and Salecich viciously competing against each other in practice, both seem pretty hard-nosed from what I've heard. Reid will probably try to shoot over or speed by them, but I think they're both pretty serious about defense as well.

I assume you are being sarcastic Roy.

If not, how can you say that based on seing a 17 year old play in a couple pre-season games? I agree that he seems like the odd man out at the 2 spot, but he was evidently making a lot of noise in practice prior to getting injured.

I assume you are being sarcastic Roy.

If not, how can you say that based on seing a 17 year old play in a couple pre-season games? I agree that he seems like the odd man out at the 2 spot, but he was evidently making a lot of noise in practice prior to getting injured.

i agree he is very athletic and has a very strong d-1 body. he did not have a good shot. he did not make good decisions, and for the most part wasnt defending anyone all that great.

i agree he can play at this level, but i will be shocked if he breaks through the log jam of guards that we already have and the ones coming in. he will have had to improve his shot quite a bit for that to happen imo.

John has been praised by coach for his wok ethic and defense. I expect him to start at the 2 next year. We will need someone to step up as a defender

ahead of reid and the australian and cassity? boy if he does that will mean either he really improved or that the australian and reid are not what has been advertised.

i agree he is very athletic and has a very strong d-1 body. he did not have a good shot. he did not make good decisions, and for the most part wasnt defending anyone all that great.

i agree he can play at this level, but i will be shocked if he breaks through the log jam of guards that we already have and the ones coming in. he will have had to improve his shot quite a bit for that to happen imo.

Where did you see him play Roy, in All-star games? No one plays defense in those. John will know the system unlike the guys coming in, he will know what the coaches are looking for, he will be stronger, he is athletic. The only thing the other guys have that he doesnt is the jump shot and he will have plenty of time to work on that over the summer.

Fair point, Nark. Christian's experience in international play could benefit him greatly. How nice it that a kid like Reid, who is a two-time All-State player that chose us over a Big 12 school, may have to work real hard to get minutes. What a great problem to have.

I'm not trying to be an ass but what school did he have an offer from? I think he received a lot of interest from some very good schools but in the end part of the reason we were able to get him was we offered prior to the end of the early signing period and put some pressure on him that the offer might not be there if he didn't jump at it.

I'm not trying to be an ass but what school did he have an offer from? I think he received a lot of interest from some very good schools but in the end part of the reason we were able to get him was we offered prior to the end of the early signing period and put some pressure on him that the offer might not be there if he didn't jump at it.

I think he still had an offer from Kansas State on the table when he made his verbal to SLU.

Where did you see him play Roy, in All-star games? No one plays defense in those. John will know the system unlike the guys coming in, he will know what the coaches are looking for, he will be stronger, he is athletic. The only thing the other guys have that he doesnt is the jump shot and he will have plenty of time to work on that over the summer.

he played in the preseason games for the billikens.

imo john is pretty much the exact player that anthony mitchell was and rickma cut him. now before you all get excited about that, i liked mitchell and thought he could be a contributor to the billikens. so i am not saying that is bad. but mitchell and john both have d-1 bodies, played hard, very athletic but had ball skill issues and shooting issues.

but now i am supposed to believe that rickma will start john? that would make rickma very inconsistent imo.

imo john is pretty much the exact player that anthony mitchell was and rickma cut him. now before you all get excited about that, i liked mitchell and thought he could be a contributor to the billikens. so i am not saying that is bad. but mitchell and john both have d-1 bodies, played hard, very athletic but had ball skill issues and shooting issues.

but now i am supposed to believe that rickma will start john? that would make rickma very inconsistent imo.

I think you overestimate AM

Oh, so here's a guy who dogs Femi John, but when I dog Brett Thompson, you bring out the wood and the nails. Way to go, moy.

i am not saying john isnt athletic like you did thompson. i am saying that we have a lot of guards that are more well rounded that wont allow john to start. i never said he would leave the program like you did thompson either.

I think he still had an offer from Kansas State on the table when he made his verbal to SLU.

Its not clear. Scout's site does say he had an offer in the player summary but all the articles around that time suggest he had interest but no offers. maybe he really didn't like Frank Martin but it would be a little weird to pass on K-State, his home state school and where his brother went if he really had an offer.

At the end of the day, it clearly doesn't matter as Majerus proved at his time at Utah that he can scout and develop players that nobody else recruited into a big-time program. I have the full confidence that he will do that here.

Roy, this isn't a personal slam on you but I think these three things are true:

1) you don't listen to RM's radio shows. Since this is true you haven't heard him raving on Femi and how much he has improved this season

2) You don't have access to practice to dispute RM's claims above

3) You have always had a soft spot in your hear for southern Illinois players when it comes to valuing them vs. their Missouri counterparts (i.e you are biased).

Its not clear. Scout's site does say he had an offer in the player summary but all the articles around that time suggest he had interest but no offers. maybe he really didn't like Frank Martin but it would be a little weird to pass on K-State, his home state school and where his brother went if he really had an offer.

At the end of the day, it clearly doesn't matter as Majerus proved at his time at Utah that he can scout and develop players that nobody else recruited into a big-time program. I have the full confidence that he will do that here.

I agree. I just went off what Scout had on his profile. Majerus seems to get on players before anyone else and has been successfull at closing the deal before the bigger programs come knocking on the door.