RM wants to be in the Valley?

SLUDrew

Ramsey just stated that in an interview today on 101.1 that not only did Majerus say he wants out of the A-10, but that he wants SLU to be in the Valley. Did anyone hear the interview? We have heard Coach say on many occassions that SLU is not a good fit in the A-10, but I believe this would mark the first time he has actually said he would like to be in the Valley.

I think such a move would take SLU back LIGHT-YEARS in terms of an overall institution and I think it would do very little, if anything, for the basketball program.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ramsey just stated that in an interview today on 101.1 that not only did Majerus say he wants out of the A-10, but that he wants SLU to be in the Valley. Did anyone hear the interview? We have heard Coach say on many occassions that SLU is not a good fit in the A-10, but I believe this would mark the first time he has actually said he would like to be in the Valley.

I think such a move would take SLU back LIGHT-YEARS in terms of an overall institution and I think it would do very little, if anything, for the basketball program.

Holy cow!

Here we go again.

Say it ain't so! Other than a spectacular conference tournament, the league would send us back to the dark ages.

maybe rickma lost a bundle at the roulette table last night and thus doesnt want to go back to atlantic city. either that or he just enjoys the ribs in murphysboro on the way to carbondale just that much.

agreed. I think that if the billikens start winning some games this whole conference situation will sort itself out.

Here is Rammer's Blog from today:

In or Out of Their League

Coming into the station this morning I was listening to 101 ESPN, as we all should, and starting thinking and reacting to a topic being thrown around by Pat Parris and Rene Knott. That's what talk show guys are supposed to make you do right? Anyway, the SLU/A-10/Missouri Valley Conference topic won't go away. And that's fine. But I think it's my duty to clear up some misconceptions.

There are only two problems with SLU in the A-10. One is not fixable the other is, in theory.

First is geography. It stinks. It's awful. It is a hindrance on the court, in the classroom and to the budget. But while you're in the league there's nothing you can do about it.

Administration. The MVC administration led by Doug Elgin is as good as it gets. The A-10 has been weak at that since the Billikens have been in so I must assume it was that way before. But we're just into the first year of a new regime and there is always hope. By the way, associate commissioner Ray Cella is a prince and could run his own league. But the A-10 must continue to improve its competitive attitudes and policies by demanding stronger non-conference scheduling, better more sensible scheduling during league play and somehow they must fix the worst TV contract in history. These things are possible.

Things that are misconceptions and not problems at all.

First is the level of basketball. The two leagues are similar (see the rpi) but they are hard to compare numerically because the A-10 has 14 versus 10 teams. Having said that...the A-10 is better. Historically and currently. Once again the A-10 will get more teams into post season play.

Second, the MVC is a "better fit" . Wrong. Other than Creighton, most of the A-10 better mirrors SLU academically, budget wise and philosophically. Private, mostly Catholic, non-football institutions of higher learning. Not better or worse on their own just a "better fit". Look, Conference USA was a better league but a horrible fit for SLU. Just check the money and the books. Different playing fields.

Third, fans won't come to see A-10 teams in St. Louis. They won't come to see Evansville or Wichita State on a given year either. The building is nearly filled now. And it will be when the Billikens win more. That's the way it always is and that's the point. People come to see a winner and good opponents. Check the top 20 crowds in SLU history. Not one is from the MVC though SLU plays teams from the MVC every season. This is science.

I would personally like the Billikens in the Valley. It would be convenient for me and I love the folks in the MVC office and around the league. But let's don't confuse personal convenience with facts.

Also the idea that SLU and Mizzou shouldn't play. What!? To me it's the most sensible matchup out there. SLU's not as good? What are you talking about? It doesn't matter. This matchup is good for the game of basketball because fans care about it. You need not go any further in the discussion. But just for conversation sake the game would make tons of money. The win or the loss just isn't that important with regards to bragging rights recruiting or anything else. Just check the last three game series. All of the teams in the area should play each other...except for SEMO...that's a blog for another day.

Here are the factors...Get fans interested, get on TV and make lots of money. The rest is talk show filler. And that's not a necessarily a bad thing either.

If RM said that, the trolls on the other board are going to love that!

Just another Marquette guy who wants to turn his nose up at the Bills.

Hope we get that soccer team. If not I'll still be able to get a lot of bang for my buck with Season tickets to the Mens and Ladies SLU soccer and the Athletica.

From a fans perspective take into consideration all the schools in the Valley and in the A10 and list them in order of your preference to see them play the Bills assuming we aren't in the conference with any of them.

1. X

2. Dayton

3. St. Joe's.

4. Creighton

5. Temple

6. SIU

7. Mo State

8. UMass

9. GW

10. Bradley/RI tie

Don't care about any others if they weren't in our conference

Say it ain't so! Other than a spectacular conference tournament, the league would send us back to the dark ages.

And how long will that "spectacular (MVC) conference tournament" be in St. Louis after SLU wins it, or for that matter even before SLU wins it?

"Goin' to Kansas City, Kansas City here I come."

Obviously, playing in KC would not be the end of the world for SLU (and would actually be a lot better for SLU than Boardwalk Hall in Atlantic City, NJ), but moving the MVC Tournament to KC would not be good for St. Louis.

I think Ramsey pretty much summed up the situation perfectly. I cannot disagree with a word his said other than his personal preference for the MVC.

I wonder if the MVC would ever consider buying out one of the lesser-programs and adding the trio of SLU/Dayton/Xavier. That would start looking like a decent mid-major conference. The problem is that, outside of Creighton, the best and worst programs in the MVC seem to change nearly annually. Instinctively, I would think programs like Northern Iowa and Illinois State would be weaker links, but those programs were at the top this season.

And how long will that "spectacular (MVC) conference tournament" be in St. Louis after SLU wins it, or for that matter even before SLU wins it?

"Goin' to Kansas City, Kansas City here I come."

Obviously, playing in KC would not be the end of the world for SLU (and would actually be a lot better for SLU than Boardwalk Hall in Atlantic City, NJ), but moving the MVC Tournament to KC would not be good for St. Louis.

If RM wanted to drop down to the MVC we might as well have Porter Moser as head coach and save one salary I can't see RM survivinng all those bus trips

I think Ramsey pretty much summed up the situation perfectly. I cannot disagree with a word his said other than his personal preference for the MVC.

I wonder if the MVC would ever consider buying out one of the lesser-programs and adding the trio of SLU/Dayton/Xavier. That would start looking like a decent mid-major conference. The problem is that, outside of Creighton, the best and worst programs in the MVC seem to change nearly annually. Instinctively, I would think programs like Northern Iowa and Illinois State would be weaker links, but those programs were at the top this season.

I think Fr. Biondi would view things similarly, as do I. IF we could bring along X, Dayton, Butler, or at least two of the three than we can at least have a little insitutional similarity with some conference members, although Dayton isn't really known for its academic prowess. At least it would cut down on the percentage of the conference made up of directional schools

I think Fr. Biondi would view things similarly, as do I. IF we could bring along X, Dayton, Butler, or at least two of the three than we can at least have a little insitutional similarity with some conference members, although Dayton isn't really known for its academic prowess. At least it would cut down on the percentage of the conference made up of directional schools

Consider: Cincinnati, OH (Xavier) to Omaha, NE (Creighton)- 723 miles;

Cincinnati, OH (Xavier) to Wichita, KS (Wichita State)- 788 miles;

Cincinnati, OH (Xavier) to Bronx, NY (Fordham)- 648 miles;

Cincinnati, OH (Xavier) to Amherst, MA (UMass)- 811 miles;

Cincinnati, OH (Xavier) to Philadelphia, PA (Temple, St. Joseph's, LaSalle)- 568 miles.

I don't think Xavier and Dayton would ever go with SLU to the MVC as it is currently composed. Xavier is recruiting NYC- the freshman Xavier point guard, Terrell Holloway, is from Hempstead (Long Island), NY.

Also, I've read, albeit on message boards, that Butler is happy in the Horizon League. Butler is often mentioned as a potential MVC target on the Valley Board. That hasn't happened either. Why would Butler want to go into a conference like the MVC and put at risk its NCAA bids?

I heard the interview and Rick did talk favorably about MVC. Rene Knott should keep his mouth shut when he doesn't know what he is talking about and he obviously knows very little about college basketball and the Billikens in particular. There was a reference to Rick being out recruiting and Rene said he really should be because he only has two players and that we should not play Mizzou because we aren't in the same class. Smart he is Knott.

I heard the interview and Rick did talk favorably about MVC. Rene Knott should keep his mouth shut when he doesn't know what he is talking about and he obviously knows very little about college basketball and the Billikens in particular. There was a reference to Rick being out recruiting and Rene said he really should be because he only has two players and that we should not play Mizzou because we aren't in the same class. Smart he is Knott.

As usual, with friends in the media like this, who needs enemies? SLU isn't in the same class as Mizzou? When did Rene Knott come to STL? Was he at any of those three games between SLU and Mizzou? I was at the first one at The Dome, the one SLU won. SLU was definitely in Mizzou's class that day, as SLU was the next two years too, both close losses. SLU was ahead much of the second game in Columbia.

These STL media types never cease to amaze me. Is their real motivation sentencing SLU to some type of permanent dungeon?

As usual, with friends in the media like this, who needs enemies? SLU isn't in the same class as Mizzou? When did Rene Knott come to STL? Was he at any of those three games between SLU and Mizzou? I was at the first one at The Dome, the one SLU won. SLU was definitely in Mizzou's class that day, as SLU was the next two years too, both close losses. SLU was ahead much of the second game in Columbia.

These STL media types never cease to amaze me. Is their real motivation sentencing SLU to some type of permanent dungeon?

The Valley sucks. That would be a bad move. Other than travel, the A10 is a good fit.

I heard most of the interview and I didn't hear Rickma say he wanted to be in the Valley. He did say he wanted out of the A-10. Basically he threw Woolard under the bus without mentioning his name. Said the travel puts the team at a disadvantage. Said the conference was a good one, but didn't fit the Bills.

I think he is fed up with the way the league is run and the officiating in the A-10. Saying that would get him fined. I have basically feel the same way as Rickma now. This conference is a joke in the leadership department, officiating department, scheduling department, and the TV department. The big problem is that none of these things seem to be getting better.

I don't think the Valley is the answer, but something has got to change.

Where did Rene' Knott come from? Would they please take him back. He has shown no interest in upgrading his knowledge of anything with the possible exception of the Cardinals which is a team that is covered so much even osmosis will work

If you think Northern Iowa and Illinois State would be weaker links you know nothing about the Valley.

If you think Northern Iowa and Illinois State would be weaker links you know nothing about the Valley.

Are you serious? Im guessing reading comprehension was not a big strength when you were younger.

Just another Marquette guy who wants to turn his nose up at the Bills.

Hope we get that soccer team. If not I'll still be able to get a lot of bang for my buck with Season tickets to the Mens and Ladies SLU soccer and the Athletica.

From a fans perspective take into consideration all the schools in the Valley and in the A10 and list them in order of your preference to see them play the Bills assuming we aren't in the conference with any of them.

1. X

2. Dayton

3. St. Joe's.

4. Creighton

5. Temple

6. SIU

7. Mo State

8. UMass

9. GW

10. Bradley/RI tie\

sorry teams like mo state and siu should play teams like N Iowa, Evansville, W. Kentucky, Wichita State; I would put Valpo and De Paul on the list

with Drake before I would consider regioinal state schools with big state budgets but limited academic appeal outside of a hundred mile area and most

of those types of schools like MO State and SIU are just an earlier generation of schools like UMSL or SIUE. They solve a college availability for students from small geographic areas where students and parents don't want the kids to leave home for a true college experience

Don't care about any others if they weren't in our conference

This topic has gotten a lot of mileage among the local media lately. Burwell's show talks about it almost on a daily basis.

I agree with most of Ramsey's blog.

I think Majerus is very wrong on this one. I also think SLU has a large contingency of geriactric boosters who are pushing for the return to the Valley.

Most people I hear talking about this aren't SLU supporters, either in the media, on message boards or in talking to people about it personally. For the most part they are Mi$$ou or Illinois supporters. SLU is a threat to their supremacy. We have the facilities, the coach, and we are primed for success. They don't want us to compete against them directly. They want to put us in our place, the overlooked, the forgotten, the mid major, MVC. SLU has been a sleeping giant for 50 years, now we are just starting to wake up and we wanna join the minor leagues?

A move to the the MVC would be a negative for SLU in almost every way.

Majerus won't be able to recruit nationally as well and local talent will all but dry up. What is a kid going to choose, Mi$$ou, Illinois, or the Valley????? A Brandon Beal would never pick SLU in the Valley over a BCS offer, I don't care if John Wooden is the coach at SLU we never get the best area players anymore, unless Mi$$ou or Illinois don't want them. You think the Oregon POY is coming to SLU in the valley? Or the Wisconsin POY? Sorry Rick they ain't coming.

Say goodbye to any dreams of playing the big boys on our court. Mi$$ou, Illinois, KU never come to Chaiffetz with SLU in the Valley. Does Mizzou ever play Missouri St? Illinois vs. SIUC? Never and we want to be in that same boat?

Well at least we won't have to go to Olean or have Richmond or Fordham come play us. Instead we get rollicking crowds to come see Evansville and student road trips to Grand Rapids and Omaha.

And the world's greatest College Basketball Tournament, The MVC Tournament won't be played in St. Louis anymore, not with the newest member's campus 2 miles from the tourney venue. Oh and which event had more attendance, the Championship of the World's Greatest College Basketball Tournament or SLU vs. LaSalle. It was SLU vs. LaSalle, how the hell did that happen? The MVC had barely more than 9000 people attend its Championship game. If you listen to the local media in town you would think they were turning away rabid basketball fans away at the entrance to Savvis and then the St. Louis Fire Marshall had to evacuate the oversold building as a fire hazard at halftime.

The A-10 has deficiencies but it is our best alternative. If we join the MVC we are forever a AAA minor league club compared to Mi$$ou and Illinois. To strengthen our program we need to be in the best possible conference. Like it or not that is the A-10 not the MVC. I don't like it that we are far away from the other schools but if it made our program better I'd play in a conference based in China.

I urge all of you to e-mail the coaching staff and the AD dept and voice your concerns about moving to the MVC. Someone is telling Rick and Co. that this is a good idea, we need to tell him how bad it is. I sent my e-mails off 30 minutes after he appeared on that show.

torch excellent post. i will definitely send my thoughts to chris may. and i agree everyone should.

the a-10 isnt perfect. but it is a hell of a lot better than the mvc. as torch said, if slu would "give up" and take the demotion to the mvc to give us this supposed bus trip advantage, count on it, we are stuck in mid major pergatory forever.

the a-10 consists of some of the greatest metropolitan markets in the country. for that reason alone the a-10 will always be the superior choice between the two.

my suggestion is that slu needs to cement their "all for one, one for all" partnership with dayton and xaiver. as one, i believe the three midwestern programs can convince the rest of the conference to have the needed vision to better the conference and make it truly a conference to compare with the bcs conferences. sure that seems impossible now, but all one has to think about is the potential of programs in metro areas like st louis, cincy, washington dc, charlotte, philly, etc and you have to believe the natural components are in grasp to have that kind of success.

-a couple of questions....what did RICK actually say and what did Renee NOT say?

-i understand from a slu perspective why we should align with X and UD, but why from their perspective do they care about slu as to me it has to be about more than a like school mission?

-people talk about forming a conference with W,Y,and Z schools leaving their current conference(s) to join a new one like it is as easy as falling off a log, i don;t know but i can't believe you can just make a phone call or leave behind a post it note and say good bye

-just b/c slu has no rivals b/c we have been conf jumping for the last 25 yrs doesn't mean schools W,Y and Z are willing to walk from their conf rivals

-if officiating is one of the gripes then slu needs to lead the charge to upgrade the officiating in the conf, at the risk of a bidding war go pay welmer, hightower, and whoever rick thinks is good (and i bet the list is pretty short)

-a couple of questions....what did RICK actually say and what did Renee NOT say?

-i understand from a slu perspective why we should align with X and UD, but why from their perspective do they care about slu as to me it has to be about more than a like school mission?

-people talk about forming a conference with W,Y,and Z schools leaving their current conference(s) to join a new one like it is as easy as falling off a log, i don;t know but i can't believe you can just make a phone call or leave behind a post it note and say good bye

-just b/c slu has no rivals b/c we have been conf jumping for the last 25 yrs doesn't mean schools W,Y and Z are willing to walk from their conf rivals

-if officiating is one of the gripes then slu needs to lead the charge to upgrade the officiating in the conf, at the risk of a bidding war go pay welmer, hightower, and whoever rick thinks is good (and i bet the list is pretty short)

There are tea leaves out there to the contrary, but I still have to believe that ultimately SLU is not going to the MVC. But I am more concerned about this now than I ever have been in the recent past.

I also would like to know what Coach Majerus actually said. He is rightly upset about the horrendous A-10 officiating. He has complained enough about the shenanigans at the Duquesne road game that it leads me to believe that that one was taken away from SLU (remember it went in the books as a 70-68 Duquesne win). Then Majerus was assessed that T in the LaSalle home game with a basketball version of rugby being allowed on the floor.

The A-10 officials are bad. The problem for SLU is that SLU is not going to get any benefit, and in fact will continue to get the shaft from the zebras, if all this talk about the A-10 not being a good fit for SLU, etc. persists.

The STL Media is again stirring the pot. I thought Torch's post above was most interesting about the motivation in certain circles that is fueling this SLU back to the MVC talk.

Let's take a step back, as in 35 years back, and ask why it was that SLU left the Missouri Valley in the first place. My recollection is that Louisville, Memphis State, and SLU primarily left because they wanted the possibility of better TV revenues from TV in bigger markets. Cincinnati had left the MVC before them. Those four schools combined with Tulane and Georgia Tech as the founding members of the Metro Conference.

Also the MVC at the time had schools like North Texas State and West Texas State, and even New Mexico State was in the MVC at the time. So there were also issues re Valley outposts.