RM wants to be in the Valley?

SLUDrew

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There is no way Biondi gets us back to the Valley. He didnt build a 90 million dollar arena and hire Majerus so he could go back to the Valley. He always says he wants to compete with G-Town, ND, and Marquette and he knows if he goes to the Valley there is no way in hell we get to those schools level. This is all media driven with Big Rick frustrasted with the roadtrips and officating. Rick and Larry are going to sit down and discuss this matter and I would bet you wont hear anymore Valley talk from Rick.

If by some miracle we end up in the Valley, I would seriously think about not renewing my season tickets because in my opinion it is a huge step backward after taking so many steps forward...

I heard most of the interview and I didn't hear Rickma say he wanted to be in the Valley. He did say he wanted out of the A-10. Basically he threw Woolard under the bus without mentioning his name. Said the travel puts the team at a disadvantage. Said the conference was a good one, but didn't fit the Bills.

I think he is fed up with the way the league is run and the officiating in the A-10. Saying that would get him fined. I have basically feel the same way as Rickma now. This conference is a joke in the leadership department, officiating department, scheduling department, and the TV department. The big problem is that none of these things seem to be getting better.

I don't think the Valley is the answer, but something has got to change.

I heard the interview and he absolutely said the Valley was the right place for SLU.

If by some miracle we end up in the Valley, I would seriously think about not renewing my season tickets because in my opinion it is a huge step backward after taking so many steps forward...

I'm with you there although there is something to be said for a school like Memphis, being king of the dipwads......

This topic has gotten a lot of mileage among the local media lately. Burwell's show talks about it almost on a daily basis.

I agree with most of Ramsey's blog.

I think Majerus is very wrong on this one. I also think SLU has a large contingency of geriactric boosters who are pushing for the return to the Valley.

Most people I hear talking about this aren't SLU supporters, either in the media, on message boards or in talking to people about it personally. For the most part they are Mi$$ou or Illinois supporters. SLU is a threat to their supremacy. We have the facilities, the coach, and we are primed for success. They don't want us to compete against them directly. They want to put us in our place, the overlooked, the forgotten, the mid major, MVC. SLU has been a sleeping giant for 50 years, now we are just starting to wake up and we wanna join the minor leagues?

A move to the the MVC would be a negative for SLU in almost every way.

Majerus won't be able to recruit nationally as well and local talent will all but dry up. What is a kid going to choose, Mi$$ou, Illinois, or the Valley????? A Brandon Beal would never pick SLU in the Valley over a BCS offer, I don't care if John Wooden is the coach at SLU we never get the best area players anymore, unless Mi$$ou or Illinois don't want them. You think the Oregon POY is coming to SLU in the valley? Or the Wisconsin POY? Sorry Rick they ain't coming.

Say goodbye to any dreams of playing the big boys on our court. Mi$$ou, Illinois, KU never come to Chaiffetz with SLU in the Valley. Does Mizzou ever play Missouri St? Illinois vs. SIUC? Never and we want to be in that same boat?

Well at least we won't have to go to Olean or have Richmond or Fordham come play us. Instead we get rollicking crowds to come see Evansville and student road trips to Grand Rapids and Omaha.

And the world's greatest College Basketball Tournament, The MVC Tournament won't be played in St. Louis anymore, not with the newest member's campus 2 miles from the tourney venue. Oh and which event had more attendance, the Championship of the World's Greatest College Basketball Tournament or SLU vs. LaSalle. It was SLU vs. LaSalle, how the hell did that happen? The MVC had barely more than 9000 people attend its Championship game. If you listen to the local media in town you would think they were turning away rabid basketball fans away at the entrance to Savvis and then the St. Louis Fire Marshall had to evacuate the oversold building as a fire hazard at halftime.

The A-10 has deficiencies but it is our best alternative. If we join the MVC we are forever a AAA minor league club compared to Mi$$ou and Illinois. To strengthen our program we need to be in the best possible conference. Like it or not that is the A-10 not the MVC. I don't like it that we are far away from the other schools but if it made our program better I'd play in a conference based in China.

I urge all of you to e-mail the coaching staff and the AD dept and voice your concerns about moving to the MVC. Someone is telling Rick and Co. that this is a good idea, we need to tell him how bad it is. I sent my e-mails off 30 minutes after he appeared on that show.

It was just the non SLU supprting media, it's now our head coach

A-10 is bad for SLU, huge mistake, could be worse, Sunbelt Conference maybe.

MVC is our best bet, cannot wait for magical ND-Marq-DePaul-Xav-Dayton that everyone dreams of...

RM knows it, so do vast majority of knowedgeable Billiken fans.

MVC is our best bet, cannot wait for magical ND-Marq-DePaul-Xav-Dayton that everyone dreams of...

MVC is not our best bet. We will just have to disagree because that topic has been hammered way too much. I hate the Valley, the A-10 management and brass is a freaking joke, and I know a magical confrence isnt coming along. SLU is in a very tough spot right now...

Why?

What teams excite you from the MVC?

Why?

What teams excite you from the MVC?

I am somewhat undecided on this whole issue. I use to be totally on board with the A-10 but now I'm not, particularly if our coach is going around bad-mouthing it. One point though is that a school like Memphis, with all its rich tradition and talent, seems to be thriving in a "lesser" conference, getting high seeds in NCAA, national TV games etc. They play a tough

OOC schedule and have really made the best of their situation. I think the "major metropolitan areas" thing is overblown. I don't think that really means that much to kids or recruiting. It certainly hasn't help the A-10 TV contract.

I coulld care less which confrence we are in as long as we win the darn thing. I know it helps with recuiting ect., but TV and winning are the two keys to that. If it means we are on TV every game and players see us winning, then switch or get those better teams to create a new confrence. What ever it takes. If RM can make us better by changing then change. Otherwise we make the best of the situation as it is and quit talking about it.

JMHO

I am only a season ticket holder, and will be one no matter who we play.

I am somewhat undecided on this whole issue. I use to be totally on board with the A-10 but now I'm not, particularly if our coach is going around bad-mouthing it. One point though is that a school like Memphis, with all its rich tradition and talent, seems to be thriving in a "lesser" conference, getting high seeds in NCAA, national TV games etc. They play a tough

OOC schedule and have really made the best of their situation. I think the "major metropolitan areas" thing is overblown. I don't think that really means that much to kids or recruiting. It certainly hasn't help the A-10 TV contract.

I'm looking at it from purely a selfish point of view. I'm not an alum, I don't care if SLU recruits students from NYC or Philly. To me it's a matter of who I want to see us play. In the MVC I get SIU, Mo St, and Creighton and I only care about SIU and Mo State because they are relatively local. In the A10 I get X, Temple, St. Joe's, and UMass. All teams that have been players on a national level in the last 20 years. Add Dayton and RI and we just play a better schedule from a pure basketball standpoint.

People keep saying who wants to go to Olean or see Fodham, but isn't the same true for Evansville, Indiana St, Illinois St (can't wait for my next trip to Bloomington) Wichita St, Drake, Bradley (Peoria is really nice in Feb) who am I missing?

I heard RM say people can't even tell you who's in the A10 ... I will bet that 80% of sports fans in the Stl area couldn't tell you every team in MVC and their tourney and headquarters are here. Hell, I had to look it up.

I'm looking at it from purely a selfish point of view. I'm not an alum, I don't care if SLU recruits students from NYC or Philly. To me it's a matter of who I want to see us play. In the MVC I get SIU, Mo St, and Creighton and I only care about SIU and Mo State because they are relatively local. In the A10 I get X, Temple, St. Joe's, and UMass. All teams that have been players on a national level in the last 20 years. Add Dayton and RI and we just play a better schedule from a pure basketball standpoint.

People keep saying who wants to go to Olean or see Fodham, but isn't the same true for Evansville, Indiana St, Illinois St (can't wait for my next trip to Bloomington) Wichita St, Drake, Bradley (Peoria is really nice in Feb) who am I missing?

I heard RM say people can't even tell you who's in the A10 ... I will bet that 80% of sports fans in the Stl area couldn't tell you every team in MVC and their tourney and headquarters are here. Hell, I had to look it up.

One thing I think is a little funny is the pro-A-10 people (again I'm undecided) always name teams like UMass, Rhode Island and Temple as "positives" and teams that give the conference prestige and what an "academic fit" it is for us.

UMass made the Final Four by cheating and have kids on the team with .02 GPAs like Marcus Camby. Rhode Island made its "run" under the dubious leadership of Jim Harrick. Temple has had one of the worst graduation rates in Division I for years and a history of taking guys that couldn't get in anywhere else.

I just don't think the academic argument washes when talking about not going to the Valley or even some other conference. If you are going to keep talking about the UMass Final Four as a reason we should stay in the A-10 then look at how those "runs" were built.

One thing I think is a little funny is the pro-A-10 people (again I'm undecided) always name teams like UMass, Rhode Island and Temple as "positives" and teams that give the conference prestige and what an "academic fit" it is for us.

UMass made the Final Four by cheating and have kids on the team with .02 GPAs like Marcus Camby. Rhode Island made its "run" under the dubious leadership of Jim Harrick. Temple has had one of the worst graduation rates in Division I for years and a history of taking guys that couldn't get in anywhere else.

I just don't think the academic argument washes when talking about not going to the Valley or even some other conference. If you are going to keep talking about the UMass Final Four as a reason we should stay in the A-10 then look at how those "runs" were built.

I missed the part where I mentioned the academic fit. In fact, I took academics out of it and looked at it soley from a sports fans point of view.

But, since you did ... I don't think they are narrowing the fit to the mens basketball team vs the mens baskeball team. I would guess they are comparing institutions as a whole. I'm not surprised MVC teams don't get caught cheating much, who's ever been good enough anyone would care?

This debate will rage forever. There will be sides. No one is right. No one is wrong. Positives and negatives exist on both sides. The real answer is that NEITHER conference is the right fit for SLU. But given that there are more schools with a similar mission and philosophy as ours in teh A10, I'll take that right now over the Valley. I don't like the travel for us currently in the A10 but when the bigger boys of CUSA left us, they left us. We found ourselves in a situation that we couldn't live with and made due as best we could. If we had done nothing, we'd be playing the likes of UCF, East Carolina, Houston, Tulsa, Marshall and so on in CUSA. I've ignored Memphis but does anyone want to say that would have been the better move?

Similar schools, to me include Creighton, Drake, Bradley, St. Joe's , Dayton, Xavier, La Salle, George Washington, Fordham, the Bonnies, Duquesne, and Butler.

That's three MVC and seven A10 (which inlcudes the dregs of the Bonnies and Fordham). Umass, Rhode Island, Richmond, Temple, and Charlotte are no so similar and Charlotte is moving further up by instituting a Division 1AA football program soon. So its all not perfect on either account.

Why would X and Dayton align with us? We screwed Dayton when we left them behind in the Great Midwest and moved to CUSA. Think they've forgot about that? Xavier is the queen bee of the A10 according to what I heard in AC. Xavier has the ability to augment the A10 TV contract and move out for more of their games on ESPN and so on. I also heard that X was looking to go to the Big East but why would they do that? They certainly are a big fish in a small pond and moving up, I can't seem them competing with the bigger boys of the Big East night in and night out, season in and season out AND I don't think they'd align themselves in any conference that includes city rival UC. X is sitting very pretty just like Gonzaga and Butler are in their conferences. They are top dog right now and moving is not in their best interest either. So screw that alignment stuff ---even though I don't think we can make a move without those two as much of you have said.

I always thought that of the two, Marquette going to the Big East was not going to work, figuring DePaul would be able to hold some Chicago talent home and compete. How many games did DePaul win? Another season or two like that and they might be in need of a new home. I also head "Brain Gregory to DePaul" rumors in AC.

The answer is some version of the Midwest Papal Conference with a hub in Indianapolis in my mind. We all know that ain't going to happen.

This quote from Taj hits the nail on the head

The real answer is that NEITHER conference is the right fit for SLU

That is why I would Hope in the next few years something happens in the Big East and we can develop a new conference. (I can't believe DePaul is real excited about the Big East right now and if Notre Dame doesn't make the big dance in the next couple of years???? - something might just happen)

Don't know if there is a chance for this, but who knows!

This debate will rage forever. There will be sides. No one is right. No one is wrong. Positives and negatives exist on both sides. The real answer is that NEITHER conference is the right fit for SLU. But given that there are more schools with a similar mission and philosophy as ours in teh A10, I'll take that right now over the Valley. I don't like the travel for us currently in the A10 but when the bigger boys of CUSA left us, they left us. We found ourselves in a situation that we couldn't live with and made due as best we could. If we had done nothing, we'd be playing the likes of UCF, East Carolina, Houston, Tulsa, Marshall and so on in CUSA. I've ignored Memphis but does anyone want to say that would have been the better move?

Similar schools, to me include Creighton, Drake, Bradley, St. Joe's , Dayton, Xavier, La Salle, George Washington, Fordham, the Bonnies, Duquesne, and Butler.

That's three MVC and seven A10 (which inlcudes the dregs of the Bonnies and Fordham). Umass, Rhode Island, Richmond, Temple, and Charlotte are no so similar and Charlotte is moving further up by instituting a Division 1AA football program soon. So its all not perfect on either account.

Why would X and Dayton align with us? We screwed Dayton when we left them behind in the Great Midwest and moved to CUSA. Think they've forgot about that? Xavier is the queen bee of the A10 according to what I heard in AC. Xavier has the ability to augment the A10 TV contract and move out for more of their games on ESPN and so on. I also heard that X was looking to go to the Big East but why would they do that? They certainly are a big fish in a small pond and moving up, I can't seem them competing with the bigger boys of the Big East night in and night out, season in and season out AND I don't think they'd align themselves in any conference that includes city rival UC. X is sitting very pretty just like Gonzaga and Butler are in their conferences. They are top dog right now and moving is not in their best interest either. So screw that alignment stuff ---even though I don't think we can make a move without those two as much of you have said.

I always thought that of the two, Marquette going to the Big East was not going to work, figuring DePaul would be able to hold some Chicago talent home and compete. How many games did DePaul win? Another season or two like that and they might be in need of a new home. I also head "Brain Gregory to DePaul" rumors in AC.

The answer is some version of the Midwest Papal Conference with a hub in Indianapolis in my mind. We all know that ain't going to happen.

You are right except for the statement that no one is right and no one is wrong. The question isn't which is the perfect conference, it's which is best for SLU.

My thoughts on the Valley:

I don't think going to the MVC would be the end of the SLU basketball. The Valley seems to be a better run conference, it is head quartered in St. Louis, we would have closer games for road trips, closer conference tournament allowing us to have a larger presence at the games, a conference tournament that draws better, playing in the MVC doesn't seem to be hurting Creighton, and sitting at 10 teams I doubt the Valley would only add one more team. My guess is if they add Saint Louis they will also try to add another program. Maybe Xavier, Dayton, Butler, or Oral Roberts.

If we were to move to the Valley we would just have to aim at dominating the way Memphis does CUSA, Gonzaga does the WCC, Xavier does the A10, and Butler does the Horizon.

Also if we were to move to the Valley I would hope we would play Creighton home and away because I think if we played them every year that game could grow into a fun rivalry.

The Atlantic 10 is a solid league but I really don't think it is light years ahead of the MVC. The 14 team league is sending 3 teams to the dance this year but how many years has this conference only sent 1 or 2? In my honest opinion a conference with that many teams should be sending at least 3 each year.

The A10 could be a better league but they don't take advantage of the media markets they have and the programs with "names" Temple, UMass, Xavier, Dayton, ect. to improve the conferences exposure on TV. In this day and age with more TV stations than a person could possibly watch and the Internet there is no excuse for not having the games available to watch throughout the conferences footprint.

Also some of the current A10 programs just don't seem to care about hoops. This year there were 4 schools that averaged less than 3,000 fans per game.

As far as conference affiliation goes. I think the A10 and MVC are on about the same level.

Top Tier (The Big 6)

ACC, Big 12, Big East, Big Ten, Pac 10, SEC

Second Tier (Solid conferences but not very deep every year)

A10, CUSA, MVC, MWC, WCC

Third tier

All the lower level conferences not listed above.

Rene and his band of idiots were talking about it again today, rehashing the same crap over and over again. They went on to discuss how Majerus wants to play Mizzou, and how it doesn't benefit Mizzou at all.

Some dipshit named Larry (one of the co-hosts) said that Mizzou is better off playing Coppin State, because they have a higher RPI. Talk show host FAIL.

Larry also constantly referred to Mizzou as "we/us" and SLU as "them." Not terribly objective. FAIL.

Rene and his band of idiots were talking about it again today, rehashing the same crap over and over again. They went on to discuss how Majerus wants to play Mizzou, and how it doesn't benefit Mizzou at all.

Some dipshit named Larry (one of the co-hosts) said that Mizzou is better off playing Coppin State, because they have a higher RPI. Talk show host FAIL.

Larry also constantly referred to Mizzou as "we/us" and SLU as "them." Not terribly objective. FAIL.

Can someone call these blubbering talking heads on this?

SLU RPI- 123

Coppin State RPI- 221

What station are these guys on? Is it 101.1 FM? If so, that's the current SLU station.

This is the kind of utter rubbish that should not be on the St. Louis airwaves, the type of completely false information that hurts SLU when it is heard by the uninformed, casual fan.

Can someone call these blubbering talking heads on this?

SLU RPI- 123

Coppin State RPI- 221

What station are these guys on? Is it 101.1 FM? If so, that's the current SLU station.

This is the kind of utter rubbish that should not be on the St. Louis airwaves, the type of completely false information that hurts SLU when it is heard by the uninformed, casual fan.

Renee Knot is in bed with Mike Anderson. It's a joke and he has no objectivity.

On the other hand Knot is a joke and makes so many errors in grammar and reference in his sportscasts no one really takes anything he says seriously.

You guys are also missing the point about talk radio and shock jocks --- getting the facts straight has nothing to do with talk radio, or smack down programs like Around the Horn or Pardon the Interruption. All that is is opinionated drivel designed to draw you into viewership or listening. The more they get you in, the more advertising rates they charge. It has NOTHING to do with getting it right. If it was about getting it right, Colin Cowherd, Kevin Slatten, Tony Kornheiser, and Mike Wilbon (to name a few -- a few I even like) would have nothing to do! Watch PTI -- rarely do the two hosts agree. Even on the most simple topics. Its a great schtick! "Same time tomorrow knuckleheads" is appropriate. He's challenging your manhood. For what? To bring you back. Besides, if we called these idiots up, they'd hang up on you before you got your point across.

And coming back to skip, I'm wrong on no one being right or wrong. Okay. I concede. Please tell me which one it is, however.

As for the question on Everhardt, it never came up in AC because I wasn't there long enough to hear about it. I came home yesterday and yesterday might have been Duquesne's biggest win. Yeah, they might have lower seeded upset Rhode Island, but Rhode Island was not a discussion item while there. The discussion items were Xavier, Dayton, and what if Temple beats Xavier. The Dukes are the very team Jeff Gordon wrote about in the Post. A stunning run to the tournament final, even win the automatic bid. So what? Does it revive Duquesne basketball? I don't think so. It might jump start it, but you're a stud baller in Pittsburgh. You got your choice --- the Dukes, Bobby Morris, or the Pitt Panthers? What do you think? Duquesne is irrelevant in Pittsburgh. Duquesne is doing what La salle did with Steven Smith. What George Washington did with Pops Mensa-Bonsu. What Fordham did with five junior starts two years ago. What Umass did with last year's NIT. Is it nice? Sure, at the moment. But it smacks of the old "give a man to fish, teach a man to fish" analogy. They'll be sated for a year and then all the old stuff is back, including old habits. They were talking about Duquesne's glory days with Norm Nixon. NORM NIXON! Who can match that with a simple Easy Ed? Maybe more is raised about Everhadt if he wins tonight. He has a nice philosophy --- bombs away from three point land. He has that. Richmond has it. Rhodey too but that changes with Baron's graduation. Xavier has nothing in terms of outside shooting. Dayton can't hit stationary shots with a dead ball standing at the foul line. They throw it up and go get it off the boards. Temple is nice because they have been doing all this without Christmas. He was ice cold until the last five minutes last night. St. Joe's is pitiful. Temple rolled a sign out that said "Your bench couldn't play for Fordham" and I think they were right. Martelli is going to have to recruit out his ass. I actually like what La Salle is doing. They had a heck of a fan base there for our first game on Wednesday. There was a line for tickets! Actually that was due to poor staffing by Boardwalk Hall.

I had some other impressions that I won't bury here. I'll start a post-AC thread and pick it up there.

I could not care any less about "moving to the Valley" crap. It's a regional conference and does not play into a national level. Neither does the A10. Not in its current state. I get on a plane and fly direct from St. Louis to Providence. To Philly. To DC. To Charlotte. What's that? Two hours time tops. Okay, add in the getting to and from part and all that. What's a bus trip to Omaha? Wichita? Carbondale? Cedar Rapids? First class coach accomodations with a pisser in the back. And all those fans coming and going to and from games? Bullshat. We'd better sell out so much that the coverall crowd can't get any more of a seat than the sweater vest crowd. How many of us actually follow the team now? Given on what I saw again in AC (yeah, yeah, too much distance) it ain't much. I think all the alums ought to post a scholarship, a reward. Kind of like the Amazing Race. First SLU undergrad student to get to the next tourney wins $10,000. When was the last time any kids came to a tourney? Cincinnati, Memphis, Louisville included? How many thousands of kids drove down to Memphis for the Miracle in 2000? Not counting the 15-year-old Sign Kid? I guarantee you the Temple crowd will be there tonight. And I know, its only 70 miles or so but so what? If oyu think these tournaments --- Conference, NCAA, NIT --- are about the kids, you are blowing some sweet smoke out of questionable orifices.

As for the schools and the turnout in AC --- X gets an A. Dayton gets and A. La Salle, Temple and St. Joes would get A's. Duquesne I'd give a B or even a B+. I was nicely surprised. Rhode Island, Umass, St. Louis, and Richmond I'd give D-minues or F's. Charlotte would get a C and the Bonnies I'd give a C-minus to. At least they were there. Go Brown Indians!!!!!! Bob Lanier was a Brown Indian. Look it up. If you are basing the success of any tournament on attendance, AND you are not one of the big six, you WILL fail that measure. And I don't care what the MVC lovers say, unless Savvis was a sell-out for all the games, it ain't exactly that great then.

I love Valley talk. I really do.

You guys are also missing the point about talk radio and shock jocks --- getting the facts straight has nothing to do with talk radio, or smack down programs like Around the Horn or Pardon the Interruption. All that is is opinionated drivel designed to draw you into viewership or listening. The more they get you in, the more advertising rates they charge. It has NOTHING to do with getting it right. If it was about getting it right, Colin Cowherd, Kevin Slatten, Tony Kornheiser, and Mike Wilbon (to name a few -- a few I even like) would have nothing to do! Watch PTI -- rarely do the two hosts agree. Even on the most simple topics. Its a great schtick! "Same time tomorrow knuckleheads" is appropriate. He's challenging your manhood. For what? To bring you back. Besides, if we called these idiots up, they'd hang up on you before you got your point across.

And coming back to skip, I'm wrong on no one being right or wrong. Okay. I concede. Please tell me which one it is, however.

As for the question on Everhardt, it never came up in AC because I wasn't there long enough to hear about it. I came home yesterday and yesterday might have been Duquesne's biggest win. Yeah, they might have lower seeded upset Rhode Island, but Rhode Island was not a discussion item while there. The discussion items were Xavier, Dayton, and what if Temple beats Xavier. The Dukes are the very team Jeff Gordon wrote about in the Post. A stunning run to the tournament final, even win the automatic bid. So what? Does it revive Duquesne basketball? I don't think so. It might jump start it, but you're a stud baller in Pittsburgh. You got your choice --- the Dukes, Bobby Morris, or the Pitt Panthers? What do you think? Duquesne is irrelevant in Pittsburgh. Duquesne is doing what La salle did with Steven Smith. What George Washington did with Pops Mensa-Bonsu. What Fordham did with five junior starts two years ago. What Umass did with last year's NIT. Is it nice? Sure, at the moment. But it smacks of the old "give a man to fish, teach a man to fish" analogy. They'll be sated for a year and then all the old stuff is back, including old habits. They were talking about Duquesne's glory days with Norm Nixon. NORM NIXON! Who can match that with a simple Easy Ed? Maybe more is raised about Everhadt if he wins tonight. He has a nice philosophy --- bombs away from three point land. He has that. Richmond has it. Rhodey too but that changes with Baron's graduation. Xavier has nothing in terms of outside shooting. Dayton can't hit stationary shots with a dead ball standing at the foul line. They throw it up and go get it off the boards. Temple is nice because they have been doing all this without Christmas. He was ice cold until the last five minutes last night. St. Joe's is pitiful. Temple rolled a sign out that said "Your bench couldn't play for Fordham" and I think they were right. Martelli is going to have to recruit out his ass. I actually like what La Salle is doing. They had a heck of a fan base there for our first game on Wednesday. There was a line for tickets! Actually that was due to poor staffing by Boardwalk Hall.

I had some other impressions that I won't bury here. I'll start a post-AC thread and pick it up there.

I could not care any less about "moving to the Valley" crap. It's a regional conference and does not play into a national level. Neither does the A10. Not in its current state. I get on a plane and fly direct from St. Louis to Providence. To Philly. To DC. To Charlotte. What's that? Two hours time tops. Okay, add in the getting to and from part and all that. What's a bus trip to Omaha? Wichita? Carbondale? Cedar Rapids? First class coach accomodations with a pisser in the back. And all those fans coming and going to and from games? Bullshat. We'd better sell out so much that the coverall crowd can't get any more of a seat than the sweater vest crowd. How many of us actually follow the team now? Given on what I saw again in AC (yeah, yeah, too much distance) it ain't much. I think all the alums ought to post a scholarship, a reward. Kind of like the Amazing Race. First SLU undergrad student to get to the next tourney wins $10,000. When was the last time any kids came to a tourney? Cincinnati, Memphis, Louisville included? How many thousands of kids drove down to Memphis for the Miracle in 2000? Not counting the 15-year-old Sign Kid? I guarantee you the Temple crowd will be there tonight. And I know, its only 70 miles or so but so what? If oyu think these tournaments --- Conference, NCAA, NIT --- are about the kids, you are blowing some sweet smoke out of questionable orifices.

As for the schools and the turnout in AC --- X gets an A. Dayton gets and A. La Salle, Temple and St. Joes would get A's. Duquesne I'd give a B or even a B+. I was nicely surprised. Rhode Island, Umass, St. Louis, and Richmond I'd give D-minues or F's. Charlotte would get a C and the Bonnies I'd give a C-minus to. At least they were there. Go Brown Indians!!!!!! Bob Lanier was a Brown Indian. Look it up. If you are basing the success of any tournament on attendance, AND you are not one of the big six, you WILL fail that measure. And I don't care what the MVC lovers say, unless Savvis was a sell-out for all the games, it ain't exactly that great then.

I love Valley talk. I really do.

The question was which is better for SLU, not which is perfect. Neither is perfect. The A10 is the better fit for SLU. There you have it, the definitive answer. Any different opinion is rubbish.