Gordon Calls Out Our Lazy Students

Box and Won

I know SLU a very different place today then it was in the early '70's, but when I was living in the Gries back then we got to know the players on a personal level. Many became our friends. It was not uncommon to have bed sheets saying 4th Walsh or 10th Gries supports a certain basketball player that resides on that particular floor and hanging that sheet from the balcony at the old Kiel.

I know now SLU has many more dorm options, but does any student-student athlete relations exist?

why surprised? a favorable article by Pat Forde was posted here recently.He's also a Mizzou grad.

Tarheel, when you and I were at SLU back in the Palezoic Age, it was more of a commuter school. I lived on campus and we had a regular group of about 6-10 guys that would trek on out to the Arena to watch the Bills in the biggest empty living room in the country. Back then virtually 0 student attendance. But as I understand it, SLU's on campus population has grown. It's sad though to see they aren't turning out in greater numbers. Somehow the A Department has to create the buzz that this is the place to be. Sadly that may not happen until we're winning a whole lot bigger and ESPN starts becoming more of a frequent visitor to the Chey. Our current student body seems to like being on TV. "Hey, mom and dad, make sure you watch tonight. I'll be the guy in the Billiken Blue Thong with the all white Afro!"

metz has also been posting all over Tom's blog with the same message... prob added a few new posters today?

It's only a matter of time before Timmerman deletes them, but for now Metz's comments are there for all to see: http://www.stltoday.com/blogzone/billiken-...-in-postseason/

I know SLU a very different place today then it was in the early '70's, but when I was living in the Gries back then we got to know the players on a personal level. Many became our friends. It was not uncommon to have bed sheets saying 4th Walsh or 10th Gries supports a certain basketball player that resides on that particular floor and hanging that sheet from the balcony at the old Kiel.

I know now SLU has many more dorm options, but does any student-student athlete relations exist?

Because Greis doesn't stay open over winter break, and the team is still here over break, I don't believe they don't put the freshman basketball players in Greis with the rest of their class. Any "student-student athlete" relation would have to come from being in classes with them or meeting them through other friends. It looked like Cassity was getting his fair share of attention from a group of (presumably) freshman girls at the Tim Meadows' performance earlier this week. Perhaps he's the real Ladies' Man?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bk5e6P7HcSY...feature=related

THE UTAH STATE student rooting section, a mob of 4,000 blue-clad fans armed with sheets of opposition research for organized taunting, considers itself an integral part of its team's success. Yet at least one student was disappointed with the group's efforts at the D.G. Smith Spectrum in Logan last Saturday night during a 60--52 win over Louisiana Tech. "We weren't very loud tonight," sighed a white-wigged senior named Kyle Green. "You should have heard us against Nevada—players were covering their ears!"

Utah State of all places has a great student section. It can be done.

THE UTAH STATE student rooting section, a mob of 4,000 blue-clad fans armed with sheets of opposition research for organized taunting, considers itself an integral part of its team's success. Yet at least one student was disappointed with the group's efforts at the D.G. Smith Spectrum in Logan last Saturday night during a 60--52 win over Louisiana Tech. "We weren't very loud tonight," sighed a white-wigged senior named Kyle Green. "You should have heard us against Nevada—players were covering their ears!"

Utah State of all places has a great student section. It can be done.

No doubt it can be done, but Utah State has 9 consecutive 20-win seasons and 9 consecutive postseason appearances (5 of which have been NCAA appearances). Again, I'm not defending the apathy, but building student support will take a little time. Especially at a school like SLU where students have been apathetic about the team for so long.

I posted this in the game recap thread but i thought i would post it over here as well.

From what I've gathered from observing the rest of the students here at SLU since I transferred here is they legitimately don't care. They have basketball games at the very bottom of their priority list. They "have better things to do". Many don't like sports in general. Everyone can talk about how they would've given their left nut to have an on campus arena and a winning basketball team when they went here but it doesn't at all help that alot of kids here are here to go to class, go take a nap, and go to the library until it closes(My roommate).

metz please leave tom timmerman's blog out of your little war with davidnark. you and your so called friends are only going to screw up the best insight that the post dispatch gives the billikens because of your stupidity. find another venue please.

No doubt it can be done, but Utah State has 9 consecutive 20-win seasons and 9 consecutive postseason appearances (5 of which have been NCAA appearances). Again, I'm not defending the apathy, but building student support will take a little time. Especially at a school like SLU where students have been apathetic about the team for so long.

A very, very weak excuse. you either love/enjoy basketball or you don't. Perhaps it is too cold for them to wander outside in the elements-away from their video games.