Guy Phillips '08-'09

kevinfootes

I complain about this moron every year, but he's even more insulting this time around. Saying "Golden State" about 10 times was bad enough. What really gets me is that he imploring SLU fans to "stand up and make noise", "show what great fans you are", etc. Sorry, but he isn't a guy who has any credibility making comments like this. I could accept comments like those from almost anyone else, but he knows zero about basketball and hasn't improved one bit in the time he's had the job. I'm not sure who his connection is (Tucci?), but it's time to move on.

Would it kill everyone to get up and get loud for the last 3 minutes of a close game, especially on defense. Maybe the noise causes a miscomunication and a turnover. The second the oponent gets the ball every ass in the arena should be up and yelling. We've paid for this beautiful new building lets make it a true home court advantage.

Would it kill everyone to get up and get loud for the last 3 minutes of a close game, especially on defense. Maybe the noise causes a miscomunication and a turnover. The second the oponent gets the ball every ass in the arena should be up and yelling. We've paid for this beautiful new building lets make it a true home court advantage.

Yes, because many of them are already streaming to the exits to beat the traffic....

Yes, because many of them are already streaming to the exits to beat the traffic....

I agree with skip....its too bad that he felt like he HAD to tell our fans to get on their feet at the tip or when we needed a stop in the last 30 seconds of the game.

One great thing.....the students are figuring it out....they now know they can make a difference and the atmosphere is so student friendly

its a blast

how about him calling thompson "brent" rather than "brett." he finally figured that one out midway through the BC game.

I agree with skip....its too bad that he felt like he HAD to tell our fans to get on their feet at the tip or when we needed a stop in the last 30 seconds of the game.

One great thing.....the students are figuring it out....they now know they can make a difference and the atmosphere is so student friendly

its a blast

Guy sux.

I agree that it's sad he has to tell everyone to stand up, but it worked!! Before the tipoff he had to say it 4 times, but then everyone was up. Granted, we lost the tip and they immediately sat down, but it was fun for a few seconds before the tip.

And, same as the Scott, people were yelling at me to sit down on Saturday. Sad. I don't stand up the whole game, would love to be able to, but when we tie it up and we need a defensive stop please stand up and yell!!

I think next year we might move our seats up to be right in front of the concrete wall. Nobody behind to be bothered.

I agree that it's sad he has to tell everyone to stand up, but it worked!! Before the tipoff he had to say it 4 times, but then everyone was up. Granted, we lost the tip and they immediately sat down, but it was fun for a few seconds before the tip.

And, same as the Scott, people were yelling at me to sit down on Saturday. Sad. I don't stand up the whole game, would love to be able to, but when we tie it up and we need a defensive stop please stand up and yell!!

I think next year we might move our seats up to be right in front of the concrete wall. Nobody behind to be bothered.

If they are content on keeping Guy around then they need to train him. Although, after all these years you would think on the job training would have been enough.

If they are content on keeping Guy around then they need to train him. Although, after all these years you would think on the job training would have been enough.

Maybe Majerus could relent and insist Guy come to a practice and have someone actually point out who the players are to start the season. It might take two or three practices.

I actually liked that he wanted the Billiken fans to stand up and cheer; but as lame as he is he has not figured out St. Louis is among the most polite audiences in the USA. The only thing I can think it is because there was a history of amateur tennis and golf and children were raised to be attentive. It could

also be a parochial school thing in my age group we were not allowed to talk at school even in hallways

between classes and had to sit quietly in gym assemblies and that was an all boys high school in East St. Louis-now justifiably a prison

I was asked to sit down also with about 5 minutes left, I just laughed and told the guy to stand up himself. He said his dad was to old to stand, I'm in the front row, so I offered to let him have my seats and I'd move back a row to his. His dad could see and I could stand he declined, I stayed standing.

I was asked to sit down also with about 5 minutes left, I just laughed and told the guy to stand up himself. He said his dad was to old to stand, I'm in the front row, so I offered to let him have my seats and I'd move back a row to his. His dad could see and I could stand he declined, I stayed standing.

When I was at the soccer game friday I was sitting at mid field. When it seemed as though SLU was going to have a shot on goal in OT I would rise to my feet. As I did it the first time I was grabbed by the collar and pulled down. I shrugged it off and told my friend I was with about it. The second time I stood up the same man told me to sit down and grabbed me again. At this point I was pissed off. When SLU had the final free kick my friend and I both stood. They asked us to sit down, we told him everyone in front of us was standing. They didn't stand and missed the game winning goal. So to the guy who was sitting behind me at the soccer game. Don't be lazy and don't ever grab a person by the collar. He's lucky I am a nice person.

When I was at the soccer game friday I was sitting at mid field. When it seemed as though SLU was going to have a shot on goal in OT I would rise to my feet. As I did it the first time I was grabbed by the collar and pulled down. I shrugged it off and told my friend I was with about it. The second time I stood up the same man told me to sit down and grabbed me again. At this point I was pissed off. When SLU had the final free kick my friend and I both stood. They asked us to sit down, we told him everyone in front of us was standing. They didn't stand and missed the game winning goal. So to the guy who was sitting behind me at the soccer game. Don't be lazy and don't ever grab a person by the collar. He's lucky I am a nice person.

I can't believe someone physically pulled you down. That's nuts.

Maybe Majerus could relent and insist Guy come to a practice and have someone actually point out who the players are to start the season. It might take two or three practices.

I actually liked that he wanted the Billiken fans to stand up and cheer; but as lame as he is he has not figured out St. Louis is among the most polite audiences in the USA. The only thing I can think it is because there was a history of amateur tennis and golf and children were raised to be attentive. It could

also be a parochial school thing in my age group we were not allowed to talk at school even in hallways

between classes and had to sit quietly in gym assemblies and that was an all boys high school in East St. Louis-now justifiably a prison

Years of playing in cavernous buildings with only 20 students per game while the aging alumni dominated the landscape has a way of doing that. When the older guys/gals feel outnumbered, the band becomes too loud, it is harder to hear the guys next to because of the fans, the youngsters stand too much and now the walk to the games is too long, the average age of the fans will decrease. All younger fans, though, should remember to thank the old-timers who loyally supported our team for years and years with little success and kept buying tickets to keep the lights on.

I dont know what I would do if someone just grabbed me and pulled me down.

Flat out wouldn't happen. If they weren't with kids, I would hit them. If they were, I would probably cuss them out instead. I remember at the SLU-UNC game last year, I had 4-pack seats and was up in the 2nd level and I was standing and cheering and some assclown in a UNC shirt and a camo hat told me to sit down. I said "I'll do whatever the F&$@ I want, my dime too." and went to the student section. Asking or even telling someone to sit down is one thing. Physically attempting to make them sit down, hell naw. Probably not even assault if you turn around and hit them fast enough while they're still touching you. They snuck up on you in a crowded public setting. For all you know, it was a jihad. Hogan boot.

do what you want to do guys. those that get all riled up because someone in front of you is standing will either learn to deal with it, join in, or quit coming.

i admit i only stand when the game emotions dictate and would likley never stand the entire game or long periods just to stand, but i would never tell anyone in front of me to sit down. there are four video screens they can watch action on as well.

Years of playing in cavernous buildings with only 20 students per game while the aging alumni dominated the landscape has a way of doing that. When the older guys/gals feel outnumbered, the band becomes too loud, it is harder to hear the guys next to because of the fans, the youngsters stand too much and now the walk to the games is too long, the average age of the fans will decrease. All younger fans, though, should remember to thank the old-timers who loyally supported our team for years and years with little success and kept buying tickets to keep the lights on.

I think the trends are heading in the right direction for that to happen. I'm looking forward to it.

I'll be sure to thank the older alums for carrying us through all those years...as soon as they wake up. Wouldn't want to interrupt nap time. I have to assume that's what's going on, anyway, when I see the older folks sitting their with their arms crossed and heads tilted down a little bit and not moving at all.

The younger fans, like me, weren't around during the worst years. Had I gone to SLU back then, I would have done my part. I got on board as a kid watching Claggett, Highmark, and Waldman and haven't looked back. I don't really care how bad we used to be and neither should the old folks. They should be excited about the current state of things and where we're headed.

Plus, $450 a ticket is a lot for us young alums to throw down for a season of SLU games. If we're going to invest that kind of scratch, we want a vibrant atmosphere to go with the on-court product.

do what you want to do guys. those that get all riled up because someone in front of you is standing will either learn to deal with it, join in, or quit coming.

i admit i only stand when the game emotions dictate and would likley never stand the entire game or long periods just to stand, but i would never tell anyone in front of me to sit down. there are four video screens they can watch action on as well.

I don't even suggest standing the entire game (though I would like it if we did) but during a close game, say within 6 or 7 points, doesn't it seem we could make a difference if the entire arena was on it's feet yelling. When we are on D, I can't imagine it wouldn't get the adreniline pumping just a little extra. Maybe we're so loud the other team can't hear each other and we help cause a turnover, maybe that little extra adreniline helps a player be a step quicker to cut off the lane. I absolutely believe fans can make a difference in a close game.

its a blast

He didn't have to. What was shocking about that moment was the fact that the large majority of the crowd was already standing and cheering. It just made him and the program look bush league with his comments. Guy has never "got it" and he will never "get it". He is an ass that is all too often trying to entertain himself instead of doing his job. I know he is Tucci's buddy, but it never made sense for him to have the job in the first place. There isn't much of a crossover between his audience and Billiken fans.

its a blast

Guy Phiilips is the same person who thought SLU was playing Golden State a few nights earlier. Sorry, he couldn't encourage people to get out of a burning building. Why would anyone listen to him?